Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The form a Buddhist teacher should take..

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I've been thinking about this for a little while.

The question came out of the fact that I've fired a whole bunch of questions at you all here and your answers have been very fruitful, though at the same time, not what I wanted to hear.

That led me to think that one classically defined teacher wouldn't have to be the only kind. In my mind right now, you could all be/are my teachers. Of course as the Buddha said, I don't take any teachings as gospel on face value. I test and live with them first.

The question in my mind I suppose would be, if he were to have been alive now and teaching, what would the Buddha say about places like this (online) in regards to teachings and teachers?

Also on a side note. It took me forever to realise that Buddhism doesn't take away suffering because it tells you the truth you want to hear. It teaches you how to find the truth and how to accept it.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Kikujiro, it depends on how you define teaching.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    The question in my mind I suppose would be, if he were to have been alive now and teaching, what would the Buddha say about places like this (online) in regards to teachings and teachers?
    If the Buddha was here, he would praise this site.

:)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    If Gautama Buddha were here, his still-decomposing flesh would be stinking the place up. :)
  • edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    If Gautama Buddha were here, his still-decomposing flesh would be stinking the place up. :)

u think his flesh hasnt decomposed yet? its been 2500 years
    edited November 2009
    Divinity's value as a preservative is seriously under-appreciated.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The Buddha said:
    "Enough, Fivebells! What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma, Fivebells, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma."

Vakkali Sutta

:)
  • edited November 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    ... if he were to have been alive now and teaching, what would the Buddha say about places like this (online) in regards to teachings and teachers?

If the Buddha were here now, I would kill him. It doesn't matter what the Buddha would say. This site may promote wholesome qualities for some, but for others it may provide opportunities to argue or gain attention, thus promoting unwholesome qualities. It's like asking if a pillow is good. A pillow can make sleep more comfortable or suffocate someone. The pillow is neither good nor bad.
  • edited November 2009
    penguin wrote: »
    u think his flesh hasnt decomposed yet? its been 2500 years

Aren't one of his teeth around somewhere? (So they say)

Not that a very ancient tooth has an opinion on web forums....
    edited November 2009
    Lyssa wrote: »
    This site may promote wholesome qualities for some, but for others it may provide opportunities to argue or gain attention, thus promoting unwholesome qualities.

Yeah, I have that problem. But, uh, I'm willing to take on the bad karma for the sake of, uh, liberating others. Yeah, that's it.