Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Need help and advice... on a spiritual journey

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi Everyone,

This may be a bit heavy for a first post but I have few thoughts, feelings and questions to share.

I have recently started to take a serious look at life, my spirituality and personal philosophy. Stoicism is a philosophy that has recently made a profound difference in my attitude and general mental health, and upon experiencing these changes, I have grown more intrigued with philosophy and my spirituality. Buddhism has peaked my interest as it shares some concepts with stoicism like: ethics, compassion, the self, and desire, but deals with them in different ways. Stoics try to turn one’s self into an invulnerable fortress against impression, while as far as I understand, Buddhist believe in the deconstruction of the self (please correct where ever I‘m wrong).

So I have a few dilemmas. On my search for a more meaningful spirituality and philosophy I have come across times where my morals and personal logic have come up against the teachings of certain philosophies/religions. The one teaching in Buddhism that has really conflicted with my morals and logic, is the concept of not eating meat/killing. My stance on the whole killing animals for food is as follows: I believe that one should be conscious/accountable of all the costs associated with providing ones food. I personally feel that all animals are of equal importance, and that they should all live happy and contented lives free from stress and cruelty. The aim is to have the least impact on animal lives as possible while feeding yourself, so I don’t believe that being vegan/vegetarian is always the correct way to reduce the number of animal deaths your food causes. It may be that the bread your eating was made from wheat that was sprayed by pesticides killing thousands of insects, and threshed by a tractor that killed dozens of mice and other small animals, while a piece of chicken raised locally by a caring farmer only costs the life of one animal. There is also the concept of eating appropriately for your geographic location. I live in Canada where the summers are short and we have snow on the ground basically 8 months of the year. In a place like this, eating a fully vegetarian diet would cost more animal lives due to the process of shipping produce from California or Mexico. The produce would require a lot of fuel which it’s collection refining and shipment cost the lives of animals, but when my brother in-law and I shooting a deer on his property we have enough meat for months at the cost of only one life. I feel it is important not to be ignorant of the cost of putting food on your plate (regardless of whether it is a vegetables or a piece of meat), and to take ownership of all the lives lost to feed yourself.

Sorry for the last comment sounding a bit like a charged argument, it isn’t my intension, it is just one of the things that I’m exploring and finding I differ on moralistically. That takes me to one of my questions:

Is there anything about Buddhism that anyone here differs on personally from the teachings of Buddhism? And how has one delt with it while still feeling a connection to buddhism?

And I would love to hear any responses, speak your mind and criticize. I’m writing this to try and gain perspective and to learn.

Thanks for all your time and attention,

Jeff

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    jeff wrote: »
    Is there anything about Buddhism that anyone here differs on personally from the teachings of Buddhism? And how has one delt with it while still feeling a connection to buddhism?
    Hi Jeff

You may be surprised by some the answers you receive, such as "Buddha did not preach vegetarianism".

This does not mean, however, one is void of compassion.

Kind regards

DDhatu
  • edited November 2009
    Not all Buddhists are Vegetarians/Vegans. This includes well-established historical strains of Buddhism.
  • edited November 2009
    I understand that not all buddhist are vegitarians but don't most still belive that they cannot be involved in the killing of any animal? My dilemma is the fact that I would rater be involved in the proper, respectful and humane killing then I would just removing myself from what has happened.

Or am I understanding somthing wrong here?

Also I was Wondering if there is anything about Buddhism that anyone here differs on personally from the teachings of Buddhism that doesn't have anything to do with veganism or vegetarianism?

Thanks for all your great comments so far
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I understand that not all buddhist are vegitarians but don't most still belive that they cannot be involved in the killing of any animal? My dilemma is the fact that I would rater be involved in the proper, respectful and humane killing then I would just removing myself from what has happened.

Buddhism isn't about following common beliefs. The Buddha said to not blindly follow anything, even if it's common belief, even if he said it, even if God himself tells you... :P (refer to the Kalama Sutta) The aim of Buddhism is to reduce suffering. Your intention is extremely important. Your goal should be to maintain a healthy body while killing as little as possible. My own opinion is that buying produce leads to suffering amd death as well, indirectly, of billions of tiny lifeforms. As such I still eat both meat and vegetables (after having trying vegetarianism). Buying local in general, and particularly from a butcher you've spoken to, is a way of reducing suffering. Buying only what you need so food doesn't go to waste is a way to reduce suffering. Some people choose vegetarianism because they feel it reduces suffering, and this is ok too. Do what you think is best.

Many monks live solely off alms-offerings and as such eat meat. The Dalai Lama eats meat.
    Also I was Wondering if there is anything about Buddhism that anyone here differs on personally from the teachings of Buddhism that doesn't have anything to do with veganism or vegetarianism?

I disagreed on certain things before I understood them fully, for sure. But like I said, the Buddha doesn't ask that you blindly follow his words... he tells you to go out and experience thing to see for yourself.

Again though, what you need to remember is that common opinion, even words spoken directly from the major authorities of Buddhism, are not necessarily the Buddha's teachings; a lot of common beliefs, such as vegetarianism, are based on the teachings, but that's it. The best source is the Pali Canon itself.
  • edited November 2009
    Wow thanks for that insightful comment o0Mundus-Vult-Decipi0o. It's great to get perspective on the issue. I guess the main thing (where its buddhism or not) is to learn to decipher the truth in the teachings from ingrained cultural ideals that have worked there way into the teachings.

Thanks for everyones help,

jeff
  • edited November 2009
    ... while as far as I understand, Buddhist believe in the deconstruction of the self (please correct where ever I‘m wrong).

I don't view the Buddhist view as "deconstructing" the Self so much as correcting one's view of what "Self" is. What I think of as me (e.g. my body, my brain, my life story, etc.) is not my Self. I don't need to deconstruct what isn't me, I just need to refrain from identifying with it.
    I feel it is important not to be ignorant of the cost of putting food on your plate (regardless of whether it is a vegetables or a piece of meat), and to take ownership of all the lives lost to feed yourself.

It sounds like what you are doing in regards to diet is very skillful and not counter to Buddhist teachings. The goal is to reduce suffering, and decisions as to how to accomplish it should be made with all the information you have.

I don't subscribe to Buddhism's version of cosmology, but I don't need to in order to practice Buddhism. For that matter, I don't need to feel a connection to Buddhism to practice Buddhism. When asked what my religion is, I still say "none", because my practice isn't religious in nature.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Lyssa wrote: »
    I don't view the Buddhist view as "deconstructing" the Self so much as correcting one's view of what "Self" is. What I think of as me (e.g. my body, my brain, my life story, etc.) is not my Self. I don't need to deconstruct what isn't me, I just need to refrain from identifying with it.

I think this is well said. I used to think I had to tear down my ego to get at the truth but that's not how I understand it anymore. I understand it just like Lyssa described it.

As far as other things in Buddhism that conflict with my personal beliefs, there's nothing yet. I'll let you know if something comes up though. :)