Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Changing Objects of Meditation.

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited November 2009 in Meditation
Usually when we begin practice we are given some basic object of meditation like the breath. Over time many people settle into practice and develop there own approach based on effectiveness. For me sitting practice has settled into a form of Shikantaza. One guy I know has an entire practice based on never "losing touch with my feet"

Has anyone found there practice evolve in creative new directions?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    It always comes down to some form of shikantaza, doesn't it?

I do emphasize the "killing the sentient being" aspect of returning to the breath. Having opened to experience and asked "What is experiencing this?" I often follow up with "You're already dead." Bit silly, really.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    It always comes down to some form of shikantaza, doesn't it?

I do emphasize the "killing the sentient being" aspect of returning to the breath. Having opened to experience and asked "What is experiencing this?" I often follow up with "You're already dead." Bit silly, really.
    That doesnt sound silly. The "object" at this point for me is whole body-mind, (internal, external subtle and gross), sounds exotic but it just means a continous single eye regardless af what arises. I think in terms of progress over time the biggest challenge was thought, getting passed the either-or phase. Once thoughts were liberated it was an open road and an enormous relief.

I would like to hear about your trajectory some time.