Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ajahn Brahm Offers Full Nun Ordination

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Today
Its about time somebody did this.
Ajahn Brahm is awesome.

http://gobeyondwords.wordpress.com/2009/11/03/history-in-the-making/

Comments

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Nice, very nice indeed! I guess we can thank the big influx of westerners into Buddhism for that change.
  • edited November 2009
    Nice, very nice indeed! I guess we can thank the big influx of westerners into Buddhism for that change.

i think "western" interest and conversion has certainly helped.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The monks of the Ajahn Chah tradition headed at Wat Pa Pong complained that they had not been consulted and called Ajahn Brahm to a meeting in Northeast Thailand this past Sunday, November 1st, where they voted to expel him from the Wat Pa Pong community.
    :eek:
  • edited November 2009
    Yup.
    they even slandered him by calling him a........Mahayanist!!!!
    how rude!
    edited November 2009
    they even slandered him by calling him a........Mahayanist!!!!
    Now why would that be slander?

The Thai Forest Tradition is a meditation tradition primilarly focused on higher dharma. Generally, when one visited/visits a Forest Tradition Monastery, one heard/hears Dhamma about impermanence & not-self.

For a number of years now Ajahn Brahm has diverged & distanced himself from this tradition, by preaching heavily about rebirth, jhanas, seeing past lives, psychic powers, etc. By doing this he has attracted a very large audience & following.

So the cheeky monks in Thai style accurately labelled Ajahn Brahm a Mahayanist. I personally do not regard it as slander. The Thai Forest Tradition is more focused on protecting the integrity of the Dhamma teachings & a pure way of practise than accumulating faith followers.

:)
  • edited November 2009
    Now why would that be slander?

oops.
    i sometimes forget that sarcasm doesnt translate on message boards.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Been practicing in both the Thai Forest and Zen traditions for twenty years, and have never found conflict. There is a fantastic openness among the ordained Sangha of Ajahn Chah's lineage I've had the good fortune to know.

Regarding the Mahayana-Theravada...... I honestly see no difference between "staying" and "going" in the end. That isnt just a mushy sentiment.

.......ofcourse others may see things differently.
    edited November 2009
    That is a sad turn of events. The western Sangha is trying to find a balance between very different worlds.
    edited November 2009
    Independence is fine in the Buddha-Dhamma.

Chandako's comments were the accurate appraisal of the events, especially his appraisal of Sujato.

Brahm & Sujato merely needed to be open about the ordinations & advise they are breaking from the group.

All that was required was acceptence.

• edited November 2009
    This is very cool
    edited November 2009
    kaya wrote: »
    This is very cool
    how so?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Personally, I completely support full ordination for women for the simple fact that one of my teachers when I used to live in California was Ayya Tathaaloka. I've met few with as much dedication to the practice as her, and I'm happy to see that others, like Ajahn Brahm, are taking up the cause.

I guess I just don't see why a few minor technicalities should prevent women from having the exact same opportunity as men to commit themselves fully to the practice. I'm sure it's easy for men who don't have that problem to wonder what all the fuss is about, but if a lower ordination wasn't enough for them, why should it be for an entire gender?

From what I've read about it (which is mostly research and presentations done by Bhikkhu Bodhi, Ajahn Sujato and Ayya Tathaaloka from the 2007 conference in Hamburg), the question rests on whether bhikkhus and bhikkhunis from the Dharmagupta lineage — which, Ajahn Brahm and others argue, follows Theravada Vinaya — can ordain bhikkhunis.

There have been some good arguments against this, of course, one being the claim by Dhammanando Bhikkhu that the Dharmagupta lineage began in 357 CE with ordinations by bhikkhus only, thus invalidating it by Theravadin standards. But even if that's true, as Bhikkhu Gavesako points out, "The problem with the transmissions of ordination lineage is that, even in the Theravada tradition, nobody knows for sure whether the lineage was once broken or not."

In the end, I know that nothing I say will change the minds of those who are decidedly against this; however, I think it comes down to following the spirit rather than the letter of the Vinaya.

I can't imagine the Buddha wanted his monastic community to be dominated solely by men, nor can I imagine that he would be so uptight about ordination procedures (you know, the whole "clinging to rite and rituals" thing) if it meant reviving the other half of the Sangha at a time when women are breaking free from centuries of discrimination (like being considered the property of their husband/family) and now have more freedom to engage in both worldly and spiritual pursuits. But then, I'm just a dumb lay-follower, so what do I know? :p