Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

very new, very excited

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I've lead my life with blinders on. My parents rarely took me to church, but when they did I loathed it. I never understood the concept of religion.

About 2 weeks ago while walking through a bookstore, I decided to give into my long lived curiosity and I picked up some books on Buddhism. I know it's only been a few weeks, but I can honestly say that this has completely transformed my life. I had TERRIBLE anxiety, my stomach constantly hurt on a daily basis. The quote "If there is a solution to the problem, there is no need to worry. If there is no solution, there is no use in worrying either" has changed my way of thinking. The journey of training my mind and thinking positively has me constantly smiling. I have never been so excited to learn!

There is one thing I've been struggling with keeping positive. I have always had low self esteem, and I often find myself comparing my work to others, which then gets me down. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

I am REALLY looking forward to being a part of this community. I am very new to this, and I look forward to learning all I can! Thank you all so much :D

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi Cassie :)
    The journey of training my mind and thinking positively has me constantly smiling. I have never been so excited to learn!

Another member, Sara, has a quote on her blog: "What is Buddhism? Laughing all the time." Just made me think of that. :)
    There is one thing I've been struggling with keeping positive. I have always had low self esteem, and I often find myself comparing my work to others, which then gets me down. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Not any words of wisdom really. But as you study Buddhism more and begin to practice meditation and such, you'll start to understand certain key concepts like anatta and nonduality and you will see how this can change your way of thinking about such things. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I learnt a good one, straight from the Mouth of the Dalai Lama:

"Remember, there is nobody on earth better than you.
    Of course, there is nobody worse, either...."

We all have our skills and 'parts to play'.
    Remember, if you decide to ascribe to the concept of Rebirth, that you have come to this life as a human being, which is a privilege.
    Use it well. :)
  • edited November 2009
    Good to know. The first book I picked up (which was the book that got me hooked on the idea of Buddhism) was The Art of Happiness. I've thumbed through many books in bookstores, does anyone have any suggestions on a must read book?
  • edited November 2009
    federica wrote: »
    I learnt a good one, straight form the Mouth of the Dalai Lama:

"Remember, there is nobody on earth better than you.
    Of course, there is nobody worse, either...."

We all have our skills and 'parts to play'.
    Remember, if you decide to ascribe to the concept of Rebirth, that you have come to this life as a human being, which is a privilege.
    Use it well. :)

:D Very good, I will definitely have to keep those in mind!!
  • edited November 2009
    Good to know. The first book I picked up (which was the book that got me hooked on the idea of Buddhism) was The Art of Happiness. I've thumbed through many books in bookstores, does anyone have any suggestions on a must read book?

Opps! Nevermind, I found the recommended readings thread :o
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Welcome, Cassie. Glad to hear you've found so much benefit from Buddhism in such a short time.

best wishes on your path
    _/\_
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi Cassie I'm a newcomer to this site as well, though a long time practitioner. It is interesting in that there isnt really a division between the different schools of Buddhadharma in the format. Yet some of the differing view may reflect different backgrounds in that respect. Nice to meet you.
  • edited November 2009
    It's so nice to be welcomed so warmly. I've been reading the forum all day and I've picked up a lot of helpful information thanks to you all!!
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009

I can't say if it is a must read because I am also relatively new to Buddhism myself but I really liked Thich Nhat Hanh's (I always have to look somewhere to see if I spelled it correctly :p) The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. It is something you can read and re-read and not get tired of it, and it is pretty straightforward.

Even though he is of Zen lineage (Mahayana), this book is really for begginers and he uses the basic suttas most of the time, with very direct language, and the strictly Mahayana thoughts are put on second plane, altough it is there.
  • edited November 2009
    I would recommend exploring at this point.
    Try reading something like:
    The Three Levels of Spiritual Perception by Deshung Rinpoche
    and Food for the Heart by Ajahn Chah
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I know it's only been a few weeks, but I can honestly say that this has completely transformed my life.
    Hi Cassie

There was a time I left my country & what I regarded as life to travel around the world, not sure what I was looking for. One day as a tourist I visited a Buddhist monastery and immediately I arrived "home".

Buddhism is merely natural truth, an expression of natural intelligence or wisdom. As such, to connect quickly to Buddhism is easy.
    This comparing mind is certainly something Buddhist practice aims to overcome.

Buddhist practice is learning not to judge others and accept others for how and what they are. This kind of practice is not difficult to develop. It comes quite naturally.

But often it is more difficult to apply the same outlook to oneself.

Buddha taught ourself is the first person or object that warrants our love.

:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I can't say if it is a must read because I am also relatively new to Buddhism myself but I really liked Thich Nhat Hanh's (I always have to look somewhere to see if I spelled it correctly :p) The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. It is something you can read and re-read and not get tired of it, and it is pretty straightforward.

Even though he is of Zen lineage (Mahayana), this book is really for begginers and he uses the basic suttas most of the time, with very direct language, and the strictly Mahayana thoughts are put on second plane, altough it is there.

If it makes things any easier, don't worry... most established Buddhists have abbreviated his name to TNH....
    It makes us part of the in-crowd, you know....:cool:

That, and the fact we keep forgetting how to spell his name......:rolleyes: :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I have never been so excited to learn!/quote]

This too shall pass! :) Like when you get down to the nitty-gritty...

Palzang
  • edited November 2009
    Hello CassieDoodle, welcome to the forum :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, CassieDoodle.

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you're going to find it just as useful as I have.
    It's lovely to meet you!