Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lamas and their wives

NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
One thing I don't understand is this deal of lamas with women, specially why some of them get bashed (Michael Roach) while some of them evade the bullet (Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche).

Can a person be a lama without being a monk? Because I thought monks were supposed to be celibate.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    One thing I don't understand is this deal of lamas with women, specially why some of them get bashed (Michael Roach) while some of them evade the bullet (Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche).

Can a person be a lama without being a monk? Because I thought monks were supposed to be celibate.

yes.
    one can be a lama and not be a monk.
    Chagdud Tulku was not a monk, he was a ngakpa and his role in life was to live and teach as a lay person/married man.
    Other non-monk lama's include Dudjom Rinpoche, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, and Sakya Trizin.

The deal with Roach is different. He claims to still be a monk even though he has been expelled from his monastery for absolutely pi$$ing on the vinaya and engaging in other very culty behavior.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    You're comparing apples and elephants, Nameless, as Shenpen pointed out. Roach is, or at least was, an ordained monk. Chagdud Tulku was not. That's pretty common in Nyingma where a number of lamas are not ordained and have wives (usually only one, I think :)). This practice originated during the suppression of Buddhism in Tibet by King Langdarma (who was a proponent of the indigenous religion, Bon) when the Buddhists in the country had to go underground and live as householders to escape detection and execution. This was before the so-called "New Translation" schools came to Tibet (Kagyu, Sakya, Kadampa), so it is pretty much (but not exclusively) a Nyingma phenomenon.

Roach was a Gelugpa monk, however, and a Geshe at that (a Geshe is like a Doctor of Divinity, one who is authorized to teach). Unfortunately he went on a 3 year retreat and seems to have come out a little overcooked, you might say, ran off with a woman "consort", and became very New Agey. The Gelugpa are very strict about such things, so I think he's pretty much lost all credibility. It's quite a different thing altogether.

Palzang
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Chagdud Tulku was not a monk, he was a ngakpa and his role in life was to live and teach as a lay person/married man.
    Chagdud Tulku was not. That's pretty common in Nyingma where a number of lamas are not ordained and have wives (usually only one, I think :)).

Thank you for the answers guys. I was just wondering...How does someone like Chagdud Tulku learns his "trade"?
  • edited November 2009
    There are different types of consorts with different functions, and they don't signify being a lama.

Speculating as to why any specific person who renounces samsara but uses a consort is always a little dangerous. Which is different to knowing or wanting to know the mechanics involved.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    One thing I've noticed is that people are using "New Age" as a term of abuse. "New Age" is just another name for Western occultism, which has its strong and weak points. I've learned a lot from reading occultists, including Rudolf Steiner. In particular, he wrote the best essay on the meaning of karma that I've ever read. So I think we should treat the New Age with more respect.
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you for the answers guys. I was just wondering...How does someone like Chagdud Tulku learns his "trade"?

many non-monastic lama's spend a great deal of time either studying in the monastic setting or retreat.
    i am not sure of the details of Chagdud Tulku's training but i have no doubt that it was more than sufficient.
    most of my lama's are non-monks, they have all spent time in monastic education and extensive time in practice retreat. As a person who is dedicated to living "in the world" with his family I feel that having ngakpa's as teachers provides me with greater accessibility and inspiration.
  • edited November 2009
    jinzang wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed is that people are using "New Age" as a term of abuse. "New Age" is just another name for Western occultism, which has its strong and weak points. I've learned a lot from reading occultists, including Rudolf Steiner. In particular, he wrote the best essay on the meaning of karma that I've ever read. So I think we should treat the New Age with more respect.

I very much agree with you. Nevertheless New Age is known to be very eclectic. Its usually a big mix of Christian/Jewish mysticism and various eastern philosophies.
    So when a person adverticing to be a Geshe (which is a title, only given to monastics as far as i know) go "new age" it kinda means that he has become more eclectic and less "loyal" to his lineage - and thats a problem since people who seeks out a Geshe should at least be able to expect pure Gelugpa teachings. Adverticing to be a Geshe is the same as adverticing that this is a place where the lineage of the Gelugpa's are taught - and in that situation its a big no-no to go eclectic

Big love

Allan
  • edited November 2009
    According to Wikipedia, Roach claims to have a celibate relationship with his 'spiritual partner'. Interesting cat. I've never seen a monk wear so much jewelry.
  • edited November 2009
    That seems a little shortsighted Allan. If being a Geshe means anything it means teaching gelug to people who need gelug, christianity to christians, business to business people, etc. In other words teaching people karma and emptiness without ever using words like buddha, rebirth, karma.

Specifically on the matter of 'Roach', 90% of what he teaches is still pramana, logic, and tantra so, as usual, it's just people being retards on the internet again saying things obliviously.

At the moment he's teaching while translating one of the greatest books on emptiness ever written: https://www.dmes.org/contact/dmes/course/438/
  • edited November 2009
    aaki wrote: »
    That seems a little shortsighted Allan. If being a Geshe means anything it means teaching gelug to people who need gelug, christianity to christians, business to business people, etc. In other words teaching people karma and emptiness without ever using words like buddha, rebirth, karma.

Specifically on the matter of 'Roach', 90% of what he teaches is still pramana, logic, and tantra so, as usual, it's just people being retards on the internet again saying things obliviously.

At the moment he's teaching while translating one of the greatest books on emptiness ever written: https://www.dmes.org/contact/dmes/course/438/

Im not sure i understand your post entirely, but ill try to answer anyway.
    Geshe is a Gelug title only - its not used in any other tradition than gelug. So when you give teachings as a geshe, you have an obligation to stick to gelug teachings - im pretty shure most Gelug monasics will agree with this, since lineage is a very important part of the Gelugpa teachings, and the Geshes are official upholders of these teachings.
    If a Geshe adverticed giving a teaching and then taught christianity, im quite convinced that people would get a really weird impression. Ofcourse that doesnt mean that if a Geshe is invited to a christian communety to give a talk, that he cant teach christianity, or even if he just makes it clear from the beginning that he is going to teach about something else than Gelug. An example could be the time HHDL gave a teaching on the bible from a buddhist point of veiw - but if he only advertice that hes a Geshe and that he will teach about meditation, then he has an obligation to keep the teachings inside the Gelugpa school. It maybe rigid but thats the way the Gelug tradition is, and its that way to ensure that when people go to see a Geshe, they can expect that all the teachings are from the lineage of Tsongkhapa.
    This is at least what ive been told

I hope this was of some kind of clarification of my previous post
    Big Love

Allan:)
  • edited November 2009
    It maybe rigid but thats the way the Gelug tradition is, and its that way to ensure that when people go to see a Geshe, they can expect that all the teachings are from the lineage of Tsongkhapa.
    That seems reasonable and it does not imply that the same teacher can't teach other things to other people when they ask for something other. To call such a person newage though seems mistaken.
  • edited November 2009
    That seems reasonable and it does not imply that the same teacher can't teach other things to other people when they ask for something other. To call such a person newage though seems mistaken.

But i dont think thats why he was called "New Age". They way i understood it when i asked around, about Michael is that he in some ways seem to have made some rules of his own, and acording to an aspiring Geshe i talked to, Micheals teachings on emptines doesnt quite correspond with the teachings on emptiness taught at Sera-Je where Gehse's are educated.
    There are other stories to about Michael but since they are third hand or less, i wont write them, since they might just be rumours.

Big Love

Allan
  • edited November 2009
    Geshe i talked to, Micheals teachings on emptines doesnt quite correspond with the teachings on emptiness taught at Sera-Je where Gehse's are educated.
    He studied at Sera Mey and I would be interested to know the geshe who said that + what his reasoning was. Michael's explanation of emptiness as far as I understand do not differ to Hopkins, Berzin, Dalai Lama etc. I'd understand if you don't have time to go into it because it can get complicated.
    edited November 2009
    He studied at Sera Mey and I would be interested to know the geshe who said that + what his reasoning was. Michael's explanation of emptiness as far as I understand do not differ to Hopkins, Berzin, Dalai Lama etc. I'd understand if you don't have time to go into it because it can get complicated.
    People usually say he teaches emptiness in the wrong way because he compares it to diamonds and not space. Quite frankly I think its BS, it is just a simile anyway, most Zen teachers uses the ocean and waves to explain emptiness. The reality is I have seen a lot of people bashing his teachings but cannot find a solid argument.

I do think he is odd and that he is violating his vows. So what is the big deal if the man doesn't wanna be a monk anymore (the people against him says if a monk is not celibate he is automatically disrobed)? Do you people know how many people disrobe, even if for the mere lack of support? (I am actually asking this one out of curiosity) That just means you have a problem with the person, not the teachings. Before his retreat nobody criticized his teaching: lamas, Geshes, laity, Dalai Lama.
  • edited November 2009
    People usually say he teaches emptiness in the wrong way because he compares it to diamonds and not space. Quite frankly I think its BS, it is just a simile anyway, most Zen teachers uses the ocean and waves to explain emptiness.
    Furthermore he is not unique in talking about the diamond-like meditations of aryas, and neither is it the case that he never talks about emptiness as being space-like.
    So what is the big deal if the man doesn't wanna be a monk anymore (the people against him says if a monk is not celibate he is automatically disrobed)? Do you people know how many people disrobe, even if for the mere lack of support?
    The percentage of western monks and nuns giving up their vows is unfortunately extremely high. But this doesn't really play a role here. If GMR is indeed fucking like the rest of us and yet continues to assert the validity of his vows then this creates enough large problems on its own (such as for example lying about being a monk when a monk by definition cannot perform specifically defined and detailed sexual acts).
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    If I may perhaps add a little personal insight into this argument, I received teachings from Geshe Roach years ago, and he was a marvelous teacher. His logic was impeccable (very Gelug), and he was able to explain something as dry and abstract as the Vinaya in a very easy to understand and clear way. I met him in Tucson shortly after he finished his 3 year retreat in 2005, and he was a completely different person. It was like no one was home when I talked to him. It was really sad, and I felt very upset afterwards. I don't know what happened to him while he was on retreat, but this sort of thing isn't unknown. Sometimes people just get burnt out. I'm certainly not the only one who feels this way. Many of his former students do as well, and I know that they are also very concerned for him. He has also been banned from teaching in Dharamsala (the home of the Dalai Lama). It's all very sad, and I wish him the best. I can only pray that he can work out of this.

I call his "new" teachings New Age because to me New Age is all airy-fairy nonsense where everything is rosy and nice, and that's pretty much what he's teaching now. That's not Buddhism, and it's not reality. If you think I have New Age wrong, I suggest you go live in Sedona for a while. I think you'll change your tune when you see all the New Age craziness there.

Palzang
  • edited November 2009
    It's weird how an impression in a single meeting can turn into so much elaboration over time, even though greatly differing impressions exist. Indeed the next step is to appeal to numbers but your idea that "many of his former students" feel the same is made unrealistic by the presence of so many old students around him and in contact with him.
    Palzang wrote:
    I call his "new" teachings New Age because to me New Age is all airy-fairy nonsense where everything is rosy and nice, and that's pretty much what he's teaching now. That's not Buddhism, and it's not reality.
    90% of what he teaches is straight-forward Madhyamika.. how is that newage? Regarding his impeccable logic and presentation, are you sure it is absent and has not in fact become more refined? It's weird that such different opinions can exist, though I suspect on this occasion 1 of us has actually investigated the matter and the other has not.
  • edited November 2009

The person who said it wasnt a Geshe yet, but in his final years at Sera (i now i said Sera-Je... my mistake, i meant Sera-Mey) He didnt elaborate much since he really didnt seem all that happy to be asked about GMR by me. I think the only reason he answered at all, was because i asked quite honestly and we were just the two of us in private.

Looking in retrospect i think i might have said to much about GMR, since i dont really have anything evidential against him. I only know of GMR through articles and what people say. Im not a student of Michael, I never was..... and i doubt our paths will cross in the future since i follow another teacher. So what i really should do is apologizing for slandering and speaking ill of a person i dont really know anything about...... although im very happy that you have been able to point this out to me, so i can correct this behaviour - Thank you very much Aaki _/l\_

Big Love

Allan :)
    edited November 2009
    If GMR is indeed fucking like the rest of us and yet continues to assert the validity of his vows then this creates enough large problems on its own (such as for example lying about being a monk when a monk by definition cannot perform specifically defined and detailed sexual acts).

That's true. I might have exaggerated a bit by saying "what is the big deal?". On this point I agree with you.