Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

beginner in trouble

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi there,

I am really new to Buddhism and I just recently took refuge.

My motivation was that after a tough period in work I rearranged my priorities and changed my way of life. This all happened in March '09. After re-arranging I found out I can be happier, better person, but the thing I cannot deal with is my big ego. So this is why I contacted a local Buddhist center just a month and a half ago.

The person there was a very nice man who recommended couple of great books every beginner should start with, like the life of Milarepa, Story of Guru Rinpoche, Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, Blazing Splendor. While finishing the last one I had the great chance to take refuge with a great Master. Undoubtedly, this all i owe to the man at my local Buddhist center, who is practicing for more than 15 years now and is obviously very hard working for making it possible to follow Dharma here in a fully traditional Tibetan Buddhism way.

The thing is that after the first gathering with the group at this center, this nice man suddenly changed to me and became really hard on my weaknesses and especially on all my big-ego-related faults. I received a lot of criticism, but all of it was fully deserved by me. I think I totally lost his trust already - again I fully deserved it.

It all started when he decided I lie to him that I've quit smoking. Then with my active participation trying to explain myself, etc. etc. i managed to totally piss him off and he banned me from going to their gatherings. He said I am having false behavior, I am not open and honest, which is completely wrong attitude in Buddhism. I DO agree to him - I am all that. But I want to change.

If he has once said (actually, shouted so he must have meant it!) he doesn't want to work with me anymore, do you think he might want to change his mind eventually in a year or so? I do plan to continue reading and getting ready, but I am not sure I would be accepted back and would ever be trusted...

Could please someone practicing traditional Tibetan Buddhism answer me and maybe give an advice what should I do? This was the last person on earth I wanted to make angry and i was careful, because I have inborn "talent" for pissing people off.

Any hints on fighting own ego are also more than welcome...

Sorry for the long post :)

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The first bit of advice would be not to lie. The second would be to not try to justify it or explain yourself - simply acknowledge that you lied and apologize. That's all you can do. Then, I would respect his decision, and find another teacher/centre. In my opinion your best chance of getting back in (although that shouldn't be your purpose in doing what I suggested) is to respect his decision and not try to change his mind.
  • edited November 2009
    beginner wrote: »

It all started when he decided I lie to him that I've quit smoking.

What were your reasons for lying about smoking?
  • edited November 2009
    Actually I wasn't lying about smoking. He thought I was because of a misunderstanding.
  • edited November 2009
    Anyway smoking he said is just part of it. I think he didn't like my attitude. I was supposed to have an open sincere attitude which I failed to demonstrate. But I guess I did it because of not knowing what having a teacher is like...
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    It all started when he decided I lie to him that I've quit smoking.
    Actually I wasn't lying about smoking. He thought I was because of a misunderstanding.

One like that? :confused::lol:
    I was supposed to have an open sincere attitude which I failed to demonstrate.

My advice is still the same. Don't take it personally, and just learn from it.
  • edited November 2009
    One like that? :confused:

My advice is still the same. Don't take it personally, and just learn from it.

Not just like that, I am travelling more often and i forgot a picture I had to use in my new practice at home when I was going to be missing from home for a week. He got really angry and then asked about my quitting smoking. I told him the truth and he didn't say anything but send me some terrifying to me private messages. And one to the whole group...

Anyway, thank you for answering me!!! I will not take it personally. The only thing is that I like the teacher and the group. And I like the fact it is very very traditional, so no politics there...
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    To be honest, although perhaps you weren't entirely open and honest, and it's good that you recognize that and want to change it - it doesn't sound like his actions were very fair or approriate either ("I told him the truth and he didn't say anything but send me some terrifying to me private messages. And one to the whole group...
    "). Maybe finding a new teacher would be best for you either way. :) Good luck.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, beginner, and welcome to the forum.

I agree with the advice Mundus gave you.

I don't follow Tibetan Buddhism (I follow a Theravada school called the Thai Forest Tradition) so my response here may be off but unless you're completely conning us in your first post (lying to us), it sounds to me like you're genuinely trying to better yourself as a person. If that is true, you've already taken a huge first step in the right direction. Your 'big ego' will become much easier to manage with the help of Buddhism so you came to the right place.

As for this teacher, either he is too harsh or he has his reasons for doing what he did. Perhaps he was trying to shake you to wake you, you know?

I have heard of Zen Buddhist teachers rejecting a student over and over and if the student keeps persisting and proves to the teacher that he/she has a solid and enduring desire to study and practice Buddhism the teacher eventually relents and accepts the student. I don't know if this is what your teacher was doing.

But if this teacher really doesn't want to have anything to do with you, try somewhere else. If you get the same response elsewhere you'll know where the problem lies and you can take the necessary steps to fix it. If you are welcomed than you'll have a place to study and practice.

There are a lot of people on this site, myself included, who don't have formal teachers and who must study and practice on their own. So if you end up having to practice alone for a while don't worry. There's plenty you can teach yourself, especially with the resources available today. Check out the "Recommended Reading' thread in this forum. There are a lot of great suggestions there for those new to Buddhism.

Good luck!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    As Brigid says unless your conning peopel in your thread, you seem to want to change.

Sometimes psychotherapy is a really good practice to start along with meditation. If you find that you are sabotaging relationships it may be worth checking out.

......many teachers would benefit from psychotherapy too. There is much discussion about highly realized teachers who act-out then chalk it up to "Crazy Wisdom". Dont assume the teacher isnt acting out, he may well be.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    He did you a favor in throwing you out. He sounds terrible.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Brother. My advice is you find another Dhamma centre, that is a bit more wise & forgiving.

The impression gained is you discovered your local brainwashing centre.

The Dhamma path is a gradual path. The mind & body must be given time & space to naturally unwind their past conditioning.

Kind regards

:)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    He did you a favor in throwing you out. He sounds terrible.
    Indeed. :)
    edited November 2009
    It does raise the issue of abuse. Think of Trungpa. Clearly brilliant, clearly not quite cooked in some way. Not that this teacher is brilliant.
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited November 2009
    It reminds me of the story: Two monks were travelling across country when they came upon a young lady crying as she was sitting by a stream, afraid to go across. The monks were prohibited from having contact with women, but one of the monks decided he would help out, and carried the young woman across the stream, and the monk rejoined his companion for the rest of the trip.

The monk who didn't carry the young woman, was incredulous that this fellow monk would dare break the rules. This bothered him so much, he finally decided near the end of their journey to confront the man. He reminded him that he had broken the rules and that they as monks, were forbidden from having that kind of contact with a young woman.

The monk who had carried the woman responded to his companion that he had carried the young woman across the stream and there the burden ended, whereas this monk was still carrying her so many miles further.

It is surprising that a man who has devoted his life to his discipline as it sounds like beginners' teacher had, would let judgement and condemnation take possession of him. It does provide you beginner, with a lot of learning opportunities however. We would hope, in the spirit of kindness and wisdom, that the teacher would have been forgiving and understanding. Can you do as much for him?
    edited November 2009
    Trungpa exemplifies Suzuki's statement "Strictly speaking, there no enlightened beings, only enlightened actions." There can be full awareness in one part of life, and evil ignorance in another part.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I met Trungpa Rinpoche and he was a great teacher. Not only in my opinion, but in the opinion of the Sixteenth Karmapa and Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, both who told me so privately. I understand people have doubts because of his behavior, but life is not so clear cut and black and white as we make it out to be.
    edited November 2009
    That must have been wonderful. Yes, I love his teachings. The Lion's Roar and The Myth of Freedom both had a huge influence on me.
    edited November 2009
    jinzang wrote: »
    I met Trungpa Rinpoche and he was a great teacher. Not only in my opinion, but in the opinion of the Sixteenth Karmapa and Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, both who told me so privately. I understand people have doubts because of his behavior, but life is not so clear cut and black and white as we make it out to be.
    I honor and respect Chogyam Trungpa's memory and teaching and wish I could have met him. But that does not mean he, or anyone, is beyond having their behavior examined. Sometimes it is pure action without a hook that seems to flout conventional morality and so forth, in order to teach. Sometimes it isnt. I will not accept the former on heresay, no matter whos it is. That being said..... Trungpa was remarkable.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Great teacher. Bad role model.
  • edited November 2009
    Here's what Pema Chodron had to say about the teacher or "spiritual friend" in her book Start Where You Are:

"Lest one romanticize this relationship, I'd like to repeat something that Trungpa Rinpoche once said: 'The role of the spiritual friend is to insult you.'....If you enter into a relationship with a spiritual friend, you're really asking for it. Rather than the cozy, nurturing situation you might have imagined in the beginning--that the teacher is always kind and will replace the mother or father who never loved you or is finally the friend who has unconditional love for you--you find that in this relationship you begin to see the pimples on your nose, and the mirror on the wall isn't telling you that you're the fairest of them all. To the degree that anything is hidden in this relationship, you begin to see it."

A little further on she writes:

"With a teacher you feel all the ways in which you try to con the situation, you feel all the ways in which you try to make yourself look good. You're seeing clearly what you do all the time. But you've made this commitment--one you're not going to run away from, you're not going to write off. This time you're going to stick with it. Staying there become like the three difficulties. When you're with the spiritual friend or even thinking about him or her, you begin to see neurosis as neurosis. That encourages you to practice the second difficulty, which is to begin to apply the teachings. And finally, you long to make that a way of life. The spiritual friend does not confirm your existence but serves as a mirror for you to see where you're stuck. The relationship encourages you to wake up."

So according to Pema Chodron Beginner's teacher is behaving appropriately. I don't have a teacher yet, but I'm going to be prepared for it to be a challenge...if I'm lucky.

Good Luck Beginner!

Kate
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Er... "I told him the truth and he didn't say anything but send me some terrifying to me private messages. And one to the whole group..." - that's not appropriate, period. If it's true, of course. None of it was appropriate if the decision was based on the assumption that he was lying. Of course we only have his words to go on, but from what he described, his teacher wasn't behaving appropriately at all.

Nope, a teacher isn't there to coddle you. But a good teacher doesn't entirely abandon you over a misunderstanding about smoking, either, when you're new to the path and trying to become a better person.............
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Kate. You need to be careful about this. It's easy to project parental relationships onto teachers, and end up in an abusive relationship as a result. (Not saying your parents were abusive.) Tibetan Buddhism, with its guru practices, is particularly at risk for this.

The goal of Buddhist practice is peace, the end of suffering. One of the results of it is clear seeing. If a prospective teacher is not at peace most of the time, as this one pretty clearly wasn't, or frequently deluded, as this one pretty clearly is, run like hell.
  • edited November 2009
    Um...sounds like the teacher is trying to push a lot of buttons and is succeeding.

Another thing Pema Chodron has said is "No Big Deal" and "Lighten Up." The reason she says this often is because most of us take ourselves and our opinions way too seriously, which is just more ego clinging.

I think part of the whole point of having a teacher is to challenge many of your preconceptions, not only about yourself, but preconceptions you have about what it is to be a teacher.

Stay Well,

Kate
  • edited November 2009
    You're right, I'm speaking out of ignorance....
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited November 2009
    This tradition with its' reverence for teachers would put one at risk for some pretty wonky teaching now that you mention it. Poison fruit appears to be the outcome of some of these relationships. This is a little disappointing but then it is to be expected anywhere people interact.

I think it is important for a novice like myself to keep my nose in the books and working on awareness.
    edited November 2009
    Teachers are great at disappointing. They start off so amazing and you project all kinds of stuff onto them. You want them to see how special you are and get into all kinds of little games that they dont even care about. Maybe you see them look at you in a special way, when all they are thinking about is lunch. Then...maybe they become more ordinary and you loosen up...now the teacher is your buddy. But then it changes again.

In the end you realize that the authority and authenticity can only come from your own bones.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The criterion for acceptance
    10. "Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them.

The Instruction to the Kalamas
  • edited November 2009
    So according to Pema Chodron Beginner's teacher is behaving appropriately. I don't have a teacher yet, but I'm going to be prepared for it to be a challenge...if I'm lucky.

Good Luck Beginner!

Kate

Kate, thanks for that. I also do think he is acting appropriately - all arguments in my mind against his behavior are somehow not working. Abuse of course is a threat in any relationship, especially when it has a spiritual base. But this is not the case here.

I just feel I need to prepare better and to hope that next time he will not push me away. Pema Chodron book is definitely on my list.

• edited November 2009
    Er... "I told him the truth and he didn't say anything but send me some terrifying to me private messages. And one to the whole group..." - that's not appropriate, period. If it's true, of course. None of it was appropriate if the decision was based on the assumption that he was lying. Of course we only have his words to go on, but from what he described, his teacher wasn't behaving appropriately at all.

Nope, a teacher isn't there to coddle you. But a good teacher doesn't entirely abandon you over a misunderstanding about smoking, either, when you're new to the path and trying to become a better person.............

I do feel he was doing me good speaking like that, because I had already decided I trust this person. Smoking was just the occasion - he said much more after that.

My onliest concern is not if he is right or not, because he is, but if I would be able to join the group again.

Because as far as I know if a teacher asks you to leave it is forever - before that happens a teacher speaks without being so straightforward, but more circumambent.

I am a she :)
  • edited November 2009
    pegembara wrote: »
    The criterion for acceptance
    10. "Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them.

The Instruction to the Kalamas

Yes, this is exactly what I have to do - sit and read a lot, think alot, do my practice regularly, forget about smoking (coz I was so stressed out that I started again), and after reading and re-reading some good books on teacher-student relation go back.

:) Thanks all! Good luck with anything you are up to! :)
  • edited November 2009
    Beginner, I'm glad I could be of some help and I wish you well on reconnecting with the teacher.

If you do get the Pema Chodron book, know that the book focuses on a Tibetan Buddhist practice called Lojong which includes dharma study of 59 slogans or pithy statements and a special meditation practice called Tonglen. It's considered an intermediate practice, but Pema Chodron makes it very accessible; so much so that I am studying the practice even though I am a beginner, too. I think it's really pretty wonderful. One key slogan says: "When the world is filled with evil, transform all mishaps into the path of the bodhi." Or, in other words, when things are going badly, use those "mishaps" as the path to wake up or to see more clearly. It's a hopeful message, that you can work with what makes you uncomfortable, what makes you suffer and transform it into something positive, even to the point of helping others.

Be well and I hope to see you around,

Kate
    edited November 2009
    My onliest concern is not if he is right or not, because he is, but if I would be able to join the group again.

Well, he better be good, because with that attitude, you are going to be ripe for manipulation. Look, you're right, it doesn't matter whether he's right about the smoking and so on or not, he banned you for talking back to him. That's not skillful behavior. Buddhist practice leads to an end of rejecting things which annoy you. In your case, he apparently hasn't reached that end. And this concern that you'll be rejected from the group is a classic result of cult inculcation. Be very careful.

The stuff he showed you which you initially liked is just dead stuff in books. You can get that anywhere, and most places, it'll come with a dose of peace, which is the point of Buddhist practice, not a dose of hostility, which is almost the antithesis of the practice.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009

If he banned/abandoned you then he is not right for you. Being strict with you is one thing, but if he cannot/refuses to offer you any help and instead just kicks you to the curb, how is he right for you? Because from your posts, it doesn't sound like that's what you needed. Give some other centres a try. You apparently see that you need strictness and discipline... well, you got that, you got banned for your behaviour which you insist you deserved. Ok. So he taught you a lesson and now you move on.

He also taught you your first Buddhist lesson with a wet towel across the (_)_): everything is impermanent; let go of your attachment, it will only lead to more suffering. Explore your other options, and if you find nothing else suits you, then perhaps someday you can look back to him. But this is a chance for you to begin your practice right now, so take the opportunity, instead of obsessing over the possibility of returning to his centre...
  • edited November 2009

He also taught you your first Buddhist lesson with a wet towel across the (_)_): everything is impermanent; let go of your attachment, it will only lead to more suffering. Explore your other options, and if you find nothing else suits you, then perhaps someday you can look back to him. But this is a chance for you to begin your practice right now, so take the opportunity, instead of obsessing over the possibility of returning to his centre...

That's what I will do... Besides I like journeys by myself. Anyway, if I want to be sure I chose the right company - I should have an overview on all options, right?

All's good!

By the way, I would like to recommend a reading too - Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa. I read it one, plan to learn it by heart :)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Good luck, I hope you find a centre that suits you and that you benefit from. :]
    edited November 2009
    By the way, I would like to recommend a reading too - Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa. I read it one, plan to learn it by heart :)

I second that!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi again, beginner.

Your posts #29 and #30 had me a bit concerned, I must say. I was going to respond in much the same way Fivebells did in #33 until I read with relief your #35 post.

Just to be on the safe side though, maybe keeping Fivebells words in your mind would be a good thing to do because it's so easy for us to fall into the hands of false spiritual teachers. Unlike the few truly wise beings on this earth, most of us are extremely vulnerable when it comes to psycho/spiritual matters and false teachers know exactly how to exploit our individual weaknesses. That's what they do. Literally, for a living.

So always, always, always stay on your guard when you meet so-called 'teachers'. I'm starting to have serious reservations about the one you described and unless he's another Trungpa Rinpoche, which I highly doubt, he's not entitled to behave the way you've described. (Well, even Trungpa wouldn't be entitled...but I can't help forgiving him so much because his teachings pretty much gave me back my life. Even though I practice a Theravaden tradition now, the Thai Forest Tradition, Trungpa Rinpoche will always be the first teacher who really got through to me and I'll always love him.)

Good luck with everything and I hope you hang out here with us as you travel along your path.
  • edited November 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Hi again, beginner.

Your posts #29 and #30 had me a bit concerned, I must say. I was going to respond in much the same way Fivebells did in #33 until I read with relief your #35 post.

Just to be on the safe side though, maybe keeping Fivebells words in your mind would be a good thing to do because it's so easy for us to fall into the hands of false spiritual teachers. Unlike the few truly wise beings on this earth, most of us are extremely vulnerable when it comes to psycho/spiritual matters and false teachers know exactly how to exploit our individual weaknesses. That's what they do. Literally, for a living.

So always, always, always stay on your guard when you meet so-called 'teachers'. I'm starting to have serious reservations about the one you described and unless he's another Trungpa Rinpoche, which I highly doubt, he's not entitled to behave the way you've described. (Well, even Trungpa wouldn't be entitled...but I can't help forgiving him so much because his teachings pretty much gave me back my life. Even though I practice a Theravaden tradition now, the Thai Forest Tradition, Trungpa Rinpoche will always be the first teacher who really got through to me and I'll always love him.)

Good luck with everything and I hope you hang out here with us as you travel along your path.

Hi Brigid,

Thank you for the advise. I am not easy to manipulate really, but more on the other extreme unfortunately - too rational, so prone to missing some very important things when with such a teacher. I need to find the middle path and I think the best way to do it is by gathering as much as possible information on Dharma. And who knows - maybe I will get more ignited, maybe I will find out that heading towards Buddhism was just an impulse of my ignorant self that would fade in time. Maybe I will find my teacher, maybe I will not. Anyway, I need to take my time and read in peace and quietness.

Good luck!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    And much good luck to you too, beginner! :)
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Beginner, it sounds like you might be more suited to Zen practice. Tibetan Buddhism is very beautiful, and I admire it greatly. It is, however, also very structured, with much dogma and ritual.

Zen is the nuts-and-bolts of Buddhism, the stripped down, bare essentials. It has a reputation for being mystical and esoteric, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Study the writings of Bodhidharma, Suzuki, and Thich Naht Han. Check out the Alan Watts podcast (http://www.alanwattspodcast.com/). Breath. Meditate.

And for heaven's sake, quit smoking!