Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

new to buddhism need help?

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I like buddhism I really do think I wanna be apart of it but I always get confused on what its all about. I have so many questions that I need answering that I can understand so I want it simple. For now I will start off with my first question I like martial arts and also like katanas and wanna know how to do both. And I know that buddhism doesn't like violence but I feel I would never use either of them in a bad way but only to defend myself. But to get to my question could I still learn martial arts and practice with a katana and be a buddhist at the same time?

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Err...

Well, hello.

Swords are not bad. Learning the art of using a sword is not bad. Using a sword to cause harm is bad.

Um. So what are your other questions? :lol:
  • edited November 2009
    So its ok to be a buddhist and learn the art of using a sword? And you didnt answer my question of wether or not its ok to be buddhist and practice martial arts?

And I also like tattoos and have thought on some I want to get can I get any tattoos I want and be a buddhist?
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    There's no problem with practicing martial arts and being a Buddhist. But you may have problems finding enough time to do both properly.
  • edited November 2009
    You know to be honest I for some reason think that buddhism is full of restrictions of things I can and I can't do. I have been told thats not the case really but I don't know I seem to not get it.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    So its ok to be a buddhist and learn the art of using a sword? And you didnt answer my question of wether or not its ok to be buddhist and practice martial arts

Well, I thought I did. Is learning martial arts causing harm to anything? No. It doesn't conflict with Buddhist beliefs.
    And I also like tattoos and have thought on some I want to get can I get any tattoos I want and be a buddhist?

You seem to really want to identify as Buddhist without a basic understanding of what it means to be Buddhist. Do you have any questions about Buddhism itself? Start by learning the basics, like the Four Noble Truths, the Five Precepts, the Noble Eightfold Path, etc..
    You know to be honest I for some reason think that buddhism is full of restrictions of things I can and I can't do. I have been told thats not the case really but I don't know I seem to not get it.

Well what is your understanding of Buddhism...?
  • edited November 2009
    Well, I thought I did. Is learning martial arts causing harm to anything? No. It doesn't conflict with Buddhist beliefs.

You seem to really want to identify as Buddhist without a basic understanding of what it means to be Buddhist. Do you have any questions about Buddhism itself? Start by learning the basics, like the Four Noble Truths, the Five Precepts, the Noble Eightfold Path, etc..

Well what is your understanding of Buddhism...?

I have read them but I have a difficulty understanding like what they mean and how it may related to a question I may have.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Zen Buddhist. Why would you like to be a Buddhist? What is the question you have?
  • edited November 2009
    I am not sure exactly why I wanna be a buddhist it just interests me alot and I have alot gone back and forth into wanting to be into buddhism. But I feel that its really complicated cause some of the things about it make it hard for me to understand what they are trying to say.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    There must be a reason. What drew you to Buddhism? "I really want to be a part of it because ____"?
  • edited November 2009
    I think what may have was the whole meditation thing of it and zen of it or at least one of the reasons.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    You can do meditation without practicing Buddhism, though.

What does "zen of it" mean?

It's great that you're interested in Buddhism and all, but I think you're asking all the wrong questions. Find a local Buddhist centre or local meditation centre if you prefer. Learn the basics with a teacher. See what you think of it before you decide you want to "be a Buddhist." :) You can't know you want to be a Buddhist when you don't have a basic understanding of what that means, and of Buddhist beliefs.

If there are specific concepts you don't understand, feel free to ask. :)
  • edited November 2009
    Well I am not saying I am buddhist already I am just interested in it and want some info about it before I make that decision.
    edited November 2009
    What is it about meditation which appeals to you?
  • edited November 2009
    I guess I like meditation cause of how relax you become but idk for sure cause I haven't dont much meditateing cause I do have difficult doing that or at least difficulty doing it right.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2009
    So its ok to be a buddhist and learn the art of using a sword?
    Not only is it OK, I'd consider it ideal. :) Best to work on both the body and mind together.
    edited November 2009
    Nothing wrong with not quite knowing what you want. Over twenty years ago, I got into Buddhism from reading Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid. If you want to know a bit more about what you're getting into, I suggest visiting a nearby Buddhist group, or reading a good introductory text like Mindfulness in Plain English. Don't worry about it conflicting with martial arts, or any other aspect of your life or aspirations. If it's a problem, you will know it when the time comes.
  • edited November 2009
    Well I hope I do I guess i have always thought of buddhism like most other religions like there are restrictions of stuff you are allowed to do and stuff you aren't allowed to do.
  • edited November 2009
    And Im sorry to double post but I wasn't sure wether or not you woud see what I said if i just edited my last post. But I am somewhat inspired by a buddhist monk Ryokan cause to me he seemed like such a interesting person and he was a true buddhist.
    edited November 2009
    What do you like about Ryokan?
  • edited November 2009

What are the restrictions that concern you?
  • edited November 2009
    What I like about Ryokan is his poetry but also his politeness, how he gives and more but I can't think of them all right now.

And the restrictions if any that concern me is I feel like I wouldn't be able to live my life the way I want to with all the interests I have.
  • edited November 2009

And the restrictions if any that concern me is I feel like I wouldn't be able to live my life the way I want to with all the interests I have.

I may be wrong but I don't know of anything that isn't harmful to oneself or others that is restricted. If any of your interests or how you wish to live your life is harmful to yourself or others you might consider why you are attached to them.
    edited November 2009
    So, to some extent you're interested in Buddhism because you're inspired by Ryokan, and you'd like to be gentle and generous like him?
  • edited November 2009
    Well I could be gentle and generous without needing to be a buddhist I know that much. And he isn't the only reason he is a reason why I am interested in it I have gone back and forth many times of wether or not I wanna be in buddhism. The only reason I haven't yet is I was never given a full understanding of what its all about.
    edited November 2009
    So you want to know what it's all about? The short answer is that it leads to peace, in principle at peace in any circumstances.
  • edited November 2009
    Just curious and I am sorry if this doesn't have much to do with buddhism but do you know if Shintoism and buddhism are in some ways alike
  • edited November 2009
    I have tried searching for online for a place to help learn more about buddhism here in Indiana but I am unsure which ones are good. Can someoen direct me towards a good one and btw so you all know the kind of buddhism I am into is the one that originates from japan. But once again can someone find me a site that I can go to so I can learn more about buddhism?
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Zen. Where are you in Indiana?
  • edited November 2009
    For me the location of where the place is doesn't matter as long as its a good and reliable place to get to know more about buddhism.
    edited November 2009
    Hmm, can't truly help you there. Never been to Indiana. I like the look of the Indianapolis Zen Center. I sat with a Korean Zen group for a while and it was good, but I know nothing about these specific guys.
  • edited November 2009
    I know I been gone a while but I just been thinking about things with buddhism and I haven't gone to a place or anything to know more about it. But does hurting someone a bad thing to do when you are a buddhist? Like say you are defending yourself or you are a pro fighter is it bad?
  • edited November 2009
    Hurting someone is inadvisable if you are Buddhist or not.
    If hurt can be avoided it is best to avoid it

A lot of Buddhists avoid words like "bad." There are no "bad" actions. There are skillful and unskillful actions.
  • edited December 2009
    Hello
    I was hoping that some of you might be able to help me understand a chant and what it means at the end of a new song by 30 Seconds to mars

The song is L490 it starts with a very slow & quiet to loud a radio signal (or gong) sound then acoustic guitar the monks chanting are at the end of the song
    So when you click 'play' to listen it takes a moment to hear the sound & then the song

http://www.iheartradio.com/cc-common/ondemand/music.html?apid=6279

This is a sneak preview site of the album it is streaming to listen

Any insight on the meaning of the chanting and what exactly they are chanting would be appreciated. The band encourages us (Echelon/Fans) to search and discover the true meaning

nmkqdw.jpg

The band is 30 Seconds to Mars from Los Angeles
    The album is 'This Is War' out December 8th
    The frontman is Jared Leto, Drummer is his brother Shannon Leto and Guitarist is Tomo Milicevic

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide with fully understanding the chant. The band was very proud to have the monks participate in their projects. The Echelon as fans strive to expand horizons & discover, we want to fully appreciate their efforts :)
    Provehito In Altum

Sincerely,
    ~Laura/Vocalyz