Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Support the Troops! (?)

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Guys, how do we deal with war and stuff. Is supporting our troops, supporting war?

(I'm Canadian, but this applies to my American big brothers too)

I'm torn here. I just watched some type of memorial-type thing for soldiers. Showing all the names and faces of men and women, most of them as young or younger than me, (24) Who've died/been killed overseas etc....

I made sure to look at their eyes, I am 95%, at telling about people by looking into their eyes, most of them looked.... innocent...some looked like killers, aggressive people I could tell...some looked kind of lost....

They say support our troops... donate money, stuff like that.
Won't that money just go to increasing their killer power though? I mean if it goes to better equipment, funding for missions, it goes to increasing their effectiveness...I don't know where it goes, maybe to memorials...etc

I mean, they are PROTECTORS of the free world, but they protect by killing/eliminating threats...or pissing people off.

I'd like to know the ratio, lets say between allied forces vs middle east forces, I'm sure the allied forces have at least a 10-1 kill ratio. maybe i'd dare say 15-1..

So what should I do... is the reality so harsh as this :

There are a few cancerous cells (terrorists), so we must eliminate the whole arm? (huge part of the middle east)...
you know because they are infected...

If it was world war 2, okay... we KNOW the Nazi's are the bad guys right or in a very Buddhist description , they are confused and deluded.... they were wrong, is there any doubt?
The Nazi war machine I'm pretty sure wouldn't stop their conquest.

But with terrorism...IS there really a "Conquest?!!" If we just f***ed off.
Would they keep up terrorist attacks? how many terrorist attacks nowadays are on non-military establishments ...you know...

I believe, in my naivety , that if we left them alone, the only thing we'd have to worry about is them hurting themselves, with lets say a dictator...some internal conflict. maybe a violation of human rights.....but isn't it their right to wage a civil war....?! isn't that how we developed?

I want to say a lot on this..I haven't even scratched the surface but in conclusion i just want to know, Should I support trained killing machines, (objectively) if it was personal to me, I'd say oh yeah feck yeah...ego/attachment/ignorace....etc etc...:

What if the allied nations were all Buddhists. What would they do about the conflict in the middle east?!

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The best way to support the troops is to keep them out of stupid wars. Any war in which the objective is to attack a group which presents no present threat to your nation is a stupid war.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2009
    You should develop a mind of loving-kindness towards all sentient beings. You should encourage all others to do the same. That is how I 'support' the troops. I would also advise anyone seriously considering joining the military to reconsider what they're doing as well as the extent to which using violent force is necessary.
  • edited November 2009
    None of the wars have been transparent or democratic (ie. following the will of the people). Therefore the troops shouldn't be supported.

Also, if you want to improve relations with hostile people, spend the trillions of dollars on building and feeding their country, instead of bombarding it. If you refuse to do this but continue to complain about "terrorist threats" then i'ts quite obvious what you're doing. Setting up a strawman so that you can selectively funnel tax payer dollars.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    None of the wars have been transparent or democratic (ie. following the will of the people). Therefore the troops shouldn't be supported.

The TROOPS can be supported. But supporting them in the way the government suggests is really just supporting the war. There's lots of ways to support the troops directly, on an emotional and personal level.

http://www.military.com/benefits/resources/support-our-troops

This is US, but in Canada I've seen similar things.
  • edited November 2009
    TheFound,

If you want to know why the recent wars have taken place;

"Follow the money."

A number of years back, I read a book the prophesized, that not too far in the future wars would be fought between corporations and not countries.

That future is now.

Weapon manufacturing is big business in my country (USA), and generously subsidized by our government. That is not to mention the O word...OIL.

Our young people are thrown into harms way like a bunch of pons. And when they return, if it is not in a body bag, what is left of them is practical ignored...not to mention the residual pain and suffered long years later by their families.

I was a child of just such a family. But I won’t get into the details right now. Serve it to say that, my dad came home from the war very ill, and we were as poor as church mice.

One Christmas, when we didn’t even get one toy, and my folks, and we children were eating tomato soup for our big meal, there was a knock on the door. We opened the door on to some sweet and smiling people from the Salvation Army.

They had a cooked turkey and all of the fixings for us. Plus they gave my sister and I one toy. Needless to say, their gifts didn’t break the bank. But, I tear up even today as I write this to you. The goodness of people can sometimes be quite beautiful.

I believe that many good things can be done for our boys, and their families; person to person. In this way you will know exactly where you efforts and your money are going. There is far too much money going into the pockets of the wrong people, people who hang around and grab the money way before it can get to the actual victims of war.

S9
  • edited November 2009
    mmm mmmmmm, thanks for your replies guys, I have a more solid stance on the issue now thanks.
  • ValentorgValentorg New
    edited November 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    So what should I do... is the reality so harsh as this :

There are a few cancerous cells (terrorists), so we must eliminate the whole arm? (huge part of the middle east)...
    you know because they are infected...
    No, it's not. Terrorists have existed, and probably still exist, within every country, and are definitely not all middle eastern.
    A real war on terror wouldn't be fought against any specific country or region.
    TheFound wrote: »
    If it was world war 2, okay... we KNOW the Nazi's are the bad guys right or in a very Buddhist description , they are confused and deluded.... they were wrong, is there any doubt?
    The Nazi war machine I'm pretty sure wouldn't stop their conquest.
    Even WWII wasn't so simple. Nazism may have been very bad, but does that really mean that each person of the German army and each Nazi was necessarily bad? I'd have to say probably not.
    Not to mention the U.S also fought against Japan during WWII and deliberately destroyed two whole cities full of civilians.