Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Psychic or Psycho?

edited December 2009 in General Banter
Is it possible I am psychic? and not have a brain tumor or something?!

I am seeing strange things every now and then, like from the corner of my eyes, little strands of translucent threads... can't focus on them and once I try to look it goes away....it feels like a thread is caught on my eyebrow or something but it's never anything ...

what's your guys position on that type of stuff....didnt the buddha have psychic powers? and of course I want to be more than normal..and do supernatural feats :lol::lol: any of you guys had a Buddhist teacher that had unusual perception?
buddha does say, screw that stuff though right? he said something like if they claim supernatural feats they are BS, but what about tibetan tulpas and those psychic prophets, the dalai lama visits ??

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    TheFound,

Hon, I'm going to be blunt: if that means you're psychic, then that is the most utterly useless "psychic power" I've ever heard of it. Look up "floaters." It sounds like that may be what it is. In any event, go to your eye doctor rather than speculate whether or not you have supernatural powers... when people do that, they do tend to end dying from a brain tumour.... hmm. ;)

The Buddha did not have psychic powers and never claimed to. He was simply "awake." This is not supernatural in any way.

And what about the Dalai Lama?
  • edited November 2009
    TheFound, Look up "floaters."
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I get them all the time.
    They are microscopic particles of vitreous matter. We actually are seeing the shadows on our retina, not the particles themselves.

Psychic - sorry, you ain't.
    But then, look on the bright side - you're not psycho either. :D
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    But then, look on the bright side - you're not psycho either.

*Thumbs up* :D
  • edited November 2009
    LOL i know what floaters are, I do actually have floaters, been to the eye doctor about it a long time ago, he said they are no problem just going to be there all my life on and off,

im not talking about those, you silly gooses.....geese... this is something that really looks outside my eye like, hang... a spaghetti from your eyebrow...that's what its like ...but my theory is it's lightbeams hitting my eye in a really really weird way.

but yeah what about the Dalai lama I saw a documentary on tv where he visits prophets and they are like mediums, who get possessed and tell him things...
    ORACLES i guess is the best word for them....
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    In meditation, we can experience some pretty odd things. What we have to understand is that they're nothing more than a projection of our own minds, not become attached to them because they're "interesting" or "pretty" or "might mean something more"... we treat them like anything else and simply observe, and then let go. A lot of people tend to get excited over these things and apply all sorts of important meanings to them... not good.

What you describe could be any number of things and you should simply go see your eye doctor. Entertaining the idea that it could be something more is not going to do you any good.
    but yeah what about the Dalai lama I saw a documentary on tv where he visits prophets and they are like mediums, who get possessed and tell him things...
    ORACLES i guess is the best word for them....

I guess my question is: "So?"

If he does, what does that matter/mean? :)
  • edited November 2009
    well wtf if he does go see psychics or mediums/oracles...wtf are they all about!! :eek: maybe they should be examined ...

and friggin whats it called...tuklus? (is that the word?)...people that claim to be reincarnated....etc etc etc..

I could devote my entire life to charity and selflessness if I knew something solid about reincarnation/rebirth, psychics..supernatural stuff...
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I could devote my entire life to charity and selflessness if I knew something solid about reincarnation/rebirth, psychics..supernatural stuff...<!-- / message -->

Hmm what do you mean knew something solid? Like knew, for certain, they existed? Then you could devote your life to charity and selflessness? I don't follow, sorry. :(
  • edited November 2009
    The Buddha did not have psychic powers and never claimed to. He was simply "awake." This is not supernatural in any way.

Supernatural powers? No. Supernormal powers? Yes. He used to know people's minds, he used to see where beings were reborn, he used to speak and see beings from other planes of existence and he used to travel to other planes of existence according to the Pali suttas. Of course, whether you believe the Pali suttas or not is up to you.

There is also a text called the Visuddhimagga (The Path to Perfection) written by Buddhaghosa approximately in 430 CE in Sri Lanka which details how to develop supernormal powers. There's nothing unusual about them, anyone can develop them. In fact, they just arise naturally as the mind becomes calmer and more concentrated. The concentrated mind is extremely powerful and can develop supernormal powers. Basically, just develop the 4 jhanas and the ability to enter any of them in any order at any time and you can then go on to develop the supernormal powers. Easy huh? Maybe not quite.

Anyway, you are right in that the Buddha did not allow the monks to display their supernormal powers in public as it was not conducive to helping lay people along the path.

Metta,

Vangelis
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Vangelis wrote: »
    There's nothing unusual about them, anyone can develop them. Basically, just develop the 4 jhanas...
    The Venerable Sariputta was a master of jhana. But his mind did not develop supernormal powers.
    Vangelis wrote: »
    Anyway, you are right in that the Buddha did not allow the monks to display their supernormal powers in public as it was not conducive to helping lay people along the path.
    That is the case. As such, why are the also sorts of Buddhist teachers advertising these things?

:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    The whole point is, these are abilities developped by what I would consider to be very advanced practitioners.
    I would not think The Found classifies himself as such - and in no realms of my imagination would I ever think of myself even approaching understanding such matters.
    And - The Found - you know what?

It doesn't matter.
    It really is not important or vital to your current practice, NOW, to bother or concern yourself with such things.
    Reincarnation in Buddhism, is something prevalent in Tibetan Buddhism, where an elevated Lama has achieved such a high level of 'Understanding' that they are able to determine their re-birth.... They re-manifest as Tulkus (is the word you are looking for). Beings which bear the characteristics and traits of the previous Lama, but they are not carbon copies or identical...
    But this is not, as I understand it, common to all schools of Buddhism. And as such, is something that understandably, there are differences of opinion on.
    But it doesn't make it 'wrong' or 'right'. It's just something specifically understood....

TheFound, there is much information on the things you seem concerned about.
    A little research would help you avoid errors of comprehension - and spelling.
    We cannot reply to all and every question you place, in as comprehensive a way as articles and information on the net, can...
    I could devote my entire life to charity and selflessness if I knew something solid about reincarnation/rebirth, psychics..supernatural stuff...

And because understanding eludes you, it means you cannot devote your time to such matters?
    Why would an absence of understanding, prevent you from practising good deeds and altruism, pray tell?
  • edited November 2009
    Supernatural powers? Nah.
  • edited December 2009
    The Venerable Sariputta was a master of jhana. But his mind did not develop supernormal powers.
    Yes, mostly true. From http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/wheel090.html:

Two stanzas in the Theragatha (995, 996) relate, in words ascribed to the Venerable Sariputta himself, the way in which he attained Arahatship. There he tells us:
    "It was to another that the Blessed One was teaching the Dhamma; to the Dhamma-preaching I listened intently for my own good. And not in vain, for freed from all defilements, I gained release."
    In the next two verses (996-7) the Elder declares that he felt no inclination to develop the five supernormal powers (abhiñña). However, the Iddhividha-Katha of the Patisambhida Magga credits him with possessing the intensive degree of meditative concentration called "the power of intervention by concentration" (samadhi-vipphara-iddhi), which is capable of intervening in certain normal physiological processes or other natural events.

The Venerable Maha-Mogallana, however, did develop the supernormal powers and in fact was known as the foremost exponent of them amongst the Sangha.

But you are right. Just possessing the four jhanas is not enough to develop the supernormal powers. They are a prerequisite then the practitioner must deliberately develop the supernormal powers by gaining further mastery over the jhanas as explained in the Visuddhimagga.

That is the case. As such, why are the also sorts of Buddhist teachers advertising these things?

:)

The so-called teachers that publicly advertise these things are liars and as such could never develop these powers. Those that attain them do not need to tell the whole world that they are capable of the supernormal powers, therefore you are unlikely to find these beings in the public spotlight.

Kind Regards,

Vangelis