Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Going for formal Refuge

edited November 2009 in General Banter
Hi fellow Sangha members and old friends from BWB,

On the 18th of this month I will be going to Garchen institude and monistary to take Formal Refuge. Rimpoche will be cutting hair from the crown of our head. I am not sure what I should do and what is the protachol in thanking him? I am also on a work study program so I can attend the retreat. Lord Buddha has blessed me.

Thanks to everyone who has encouraged and helped me.

With Much Metta
Gail

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Hi Gail,

Only a tiny amount of hair will be cut. It's usual to give a kata (white offering scarf) and a small gift to the teacher who gives Refuge in a Tibetan Buddhist Refuge ceremony.

More about Refuge here:

http://www.khandro.net/Buddhist_becoming.htm

and here:

http://www.kagyu.org/kagyulineage/buddhism/bec/bec00.php

You should contact the centre to get more details about the ceremony and what to do.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle :)
  • edited November 2009
    :)Thank you Dazzle,

I am very excited. The sites you posted really helped.

Metta,
    Gail
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Good luck. :)
  • edited November 2009
    Hi oOMundus-Vult-DecipiOo,

Thanks you brought a smile to my face. As the days pass I become more excited and want to shout for joy.

Blessings to all,
    Gail
  • edited November 2009
    :)Yay!

Wishing you every happiness :o

Susie
    x
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi Thundreams :),

Wonderful news, thanks for sharing it with us .... so pleased that the conditions are favourable for you.

Taking refuge was a significant beginning and remains a powerful reminder for me.

Would encourage you to do as Dazzle has suggested and to contact the centre

Warmest wishes
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks Susie and Andyrobyn,

I am starting to feel things that I can't describe. Sort of becoming a new and different being with a different outlook and goals. I appreciate you all so much!!

Metta
    Gail
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I remember going for refuge under Samu Sunim (korean Zen) in Chicago In the early 90's. It felt like getting married and it was a turning point. It wasnt just the new name (Kojip) or the seal or that kind of thing. It was the preparation before hand I think. A lot of devotional exercises and tight practice. On the day of the ceremony, we gathered in the hall and started five hundred prostrations, While this was going on, there was this amazing windstorm blew up, and the big tall curtains of the temple hall were billowing over our heads. A totally transporting experience on and on. My name means Four Noble Truths, and there was a Thai forest monk attending as well that day.

Its Beautiful. Congratulations,:)
  • edited November 2009
    wow this sounds like a very happy thread...:poke: :poke::poke:

only remember while you're shouting for joy that millions of children are dying of hunger...:mad:
    people like me are being selfish, confused and useless.:mad:
    other people are murdering and raping people..:mad:

I hope instead of being giddy and happy, u accept this new responsibility as serious! you are taking REFUGE from this!!!

never forget sadness and the people like me, still left outside in the STORM... be honest and open minded please ....and I will bow down before you .

good luck my friend..:rolleyes:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    o_o

Edit - sorry, was kind of shocked by that response. Do you know what taking Refuge actually means, TheFound? o_o
    edited November 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    wow this sounds like a very happy thread...:poke: :poke::poke:

only remember while you're shouting for joy that millions of children are dying of hunger...:mad:
    people like me are being selfish, confused and useless.:mad:
    other people are murdering and raping people..:mad:

I hope instead of being giddy and happy, u accept this new responsibility as serious! you are taking REFUGE from this!!!

never forget sadness and the people like me, still left outside in the STORM... be honest and open minded please ....and I will bow down before you .

good luck my friend..:rolleyes:
    Hi Found.... Taking refuge means taking ALL of that karma on. Forever. It is, in the traditions mentioned here, the Bodhisattva vow. It is a vow of engagement.
  • edited November 2009
    exactly?:crazy:
  • edited November 2009
    :crazy: RIGHT?!
  • edited November 2009
    lol u dont see where i'm coming from,?!?!? that is a vow of the upmost seriousness,(the bodhisattva vows) and there is nothing happy or pleasurable about taking a bodhisttva vow, the bodhisattvas will never be done their work...it is tough and perilous....neh?!

LOL forgive me though if I am confusing it with something else..

(dont hesitate to say, Thefound , you are dumb and don't know what you are talking about)..
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    lol u dont see where i'm coming from,?!?!? that is a vow of the upmost seriousness,(the bodhisattva vows) and there is nothing happy or pleasurable about taking a bodhisttva vow, the bodhisattvas will never be done their work...it is tough and perilous....neh?!

LOL forgive me though if I am confusing it with something else....

I imagine she's at a point in her practice where she understands what Refuge and vows entail and what her responsibilities will be. You view it as sad because of attachment to ego. This is a selfless commitment, and it shows what her practice has achieved, and we should be happy for her and not try to take away from it. :)
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Richard,
    Thank you for shareing that beautiful experience. Just to read it gave me chills. We are all blessed to have found this way of life.

With Metta,
    Gail
  • edited November 2009
    Hi The Found,

I felt compelled to respond to what you wrote. You are correct these things happen every day. That is the very reason we take Refuge and the Bodhisattva Vow. It is the reason we study Dharma. I realize this is not an easy road to walk but there is no choice.

I don't often share but I was one of those who were raped and abused. I have learned to love my enemy and forgive. If I could I would embrace you and tell you that all things are a learning experience and in learning the lessions we grow, aquire wisdon and the ability to love all sentient beings no mater what. So Dearest 'The Found', I send love to you and I sincerely thank you for shareing your thoughts.

With Blessings and Much Metta,
    Gail
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Wait a second...formally taking refuge in the Three Jewels is the same as taking the Bodhisattva vow?? Huh?
  • edited November 2009
    :)
    Brigid wrote: »
    Wait a second...formally taking refuge in the Three Jewels is the same as taking the Bodhisattva vow?? Huh?

Hi Brigid,

Thank you for pointing put my error in writing. When HH Dalai Lama came to Long Beach Ca. I attended his teaching. He gave two initiations "The Medicine Buddha" and "The Amitabha Buddha". We were also offered "Five Precepts and the Bodhisattva Vow. However before we recieved the initiations or took the precepts and the Bodhisattva Vow we were given Refuge in the Three Jewels. So you are correct They are different.

As I am relatively new to Buddhism I do not have the vocabulary to properly discuss things as I would like. My frame of reference is my Native American Path that I have walked for over 37 years. In that path we also take vows much the same as the Bodhisattva Vow.

I have found in Buddhism an understanding of many of my experiences in life in general and my spiritual path in particular. I appreciate constructive criticism and am willing to listen and correct any mistakes I may make. I hope I have explained this correctly.

Blessings and Metta
    Gail
  • edited November 2009
    Thundreams, I am sad to see that you are taking this path. The boddhisattva vow is not possible to uphold, because it entails a popular fiction. Karma can not be taken on from someone else. No boddhisattva can save even one being, much less all living beings. It is not possible.

This fiction is saddening, because it is a very popular thing to be a boddhisattva. They are seen somehow in a special light that hinders the awakening of other beings rather than helping them. It perpetuates the myth that enlightenment is a long and difficult thing, which people have to strive for and do prostrations and generate good karma and cultivate virtue in order to attain.

This, as in all things, is your choice to make. You may take the vows if you choose. But do not make the mistake of thinking even for a second that your choice will affect anyone else in such a way as to lead them to enlightenment.
  • edited November 2009
    :)Dearest Thought of Thought,

Do not feel sad for me but rejoice. I am not taking on the karma of others but vowing to help sentient beings until all reach enlightenment. There is no choice.

As stated in a previous post I am somewhat new to Buddhism but have walked a Traditional Native American Spiritual road. The vows and precepts on that path are much the same though worded different. So this is not new but a continuation of what I believe.

It is only through prayer, non violence and the desire to share can we change the world. If I were younger, in better health and without obligations I would enter a monistary.

Your writing is greatly appreciated. We each have our own road to walk and yours is different then mine but we both want the same things. It is much like a great wheel with spokes or roads. Each lead to the center which is enlightinment. Each road represents a different teaching but all lead to the same thing. I hope I have explained my feelings.

With Blessings and Much Metta
    Gail
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    thundreams wrote: »
    :)

Hi Brigid,

Thank you for pointing put my error in writing. When HH Dalai Lama came to Long Beach Ca. I attended his teaching. He gave two initiations "The Medicine Buddha" and "The Amitabha Buddha". We were also offered "Five Precepts and the Bodhisattva Vow. However before we recieved the initiations or took the precepts and the Bodhisattva Vow we were given Refuge in the Three Jewels. So you are correct They are different.

As I am relatively new to Buddhism I do not have the vocabulary to properly discuss things as I would like. My frame of reference is my Native American Path that I have walked for over 37 years. In that path we also take vows much the same as the Bodhisattva Vow.

I have found in Buddhism an understanding of many of my experiences in life in general and my spiritual path in particular. I appreciate constructive criticism and am willing to listen and correct any mistakes I may make. I hope I have explained this correctly.

Blessings and Metta
    Gail
    Sorry about that, Gail. I was just confused and a bit afraid that I couldn't take Refuge without taking the Bodhisatva vow. But if I had thought about it properly for a second longer I would have realized that would obviously not be the case in my tradition which is a Theravada tradition. Guess I was tired or something. Sorry about my rudeness. :o
  • edited November 2009
    Thundreams, I will rejoice for you. You are right in saying that there are many paths, and in my ignorance I seem to have forgotten that. Thank you.
  • edited November 2009
    Congratulations!
  • edited November 2009
    :)Dearest Brigid,

In no way were you rude. I believe you were asking if the Bodhisattva Vow were part of Refuge. It was a point which needed clarification. Thank you for that.

Namaste and Much Metta
    Gail
  • edited November 2009
    :)Thank you Thought of Thought.

With Metta
    Gail
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you Mouthfulofclay.

Metta,
    Gail
    edited November 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    No. The Bodhisattva vow(s) was taken everyday.
  • edited November 2009
    No. The Bodhisattva vow(s) was taken everyday.

You are quite right; I have a small book where I can take Refuge daily and reafirm the Bodhisattva vow. Included are prayers to purify any negative acts committed.

The book is titled: Daily Purification, A Short Vajrasattva Practice. The Book is published by " the Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archives" www.LamaYeshe.com. Most of the books at this site are free.

Blessings and Metta,
    Gail
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Thundreams, I am sad to see that you are taking this path. The boddhisattva vow is not possible to uphold, because it entails a popular fiction. Karma can not be taken on from someone else. No boddhisattva can save even one being, much less all living beings. It is not possible.

This fiction is saddening...

Are you sure you've got this 100% right, TOT?

I have experienced a lot of saving grace rubbing off on me from the works of others in my lifetime. Also I have been fortunate to have had a guru who has taken a lot my troubles upon him and has lightened my burden immensely. I am much the richer for that!

Whether its nature is one of transferability or just influence, no act of kindness is ever wasted. An educated good will and a hand extended in blessing are sources from which forgiveness and liberation spring, and those who are laborers in this vineyard are Saviors and Beacons of light. Many of us are babes in the woods —mere children, who need guidance, protection, and prayers.

As for me, I don't much care for all this metaphysical interpretation of "karma." It can be just another concept-trap for bewitching people into superstitions. Karma is derived from the Sanskrit "Kri," to do, and basically just connotes action and work. I believe in KISS, keeping it simple, stupid (or sweetheart)!

In those simple terms (work, action), I believe that karma can be and is carried with you. Along the way more can be taken on and lots of the bad stuff can be shed, also, if we are skillful or have good guides.

Now, whether karma is basically just character tendencies —desirable or undesirable— we all basically know that what we set in orbit around us due to our behavior tends to surround us in ripple-effects long after we've completed particular actions. So a boddhisattva comes, distracts us and points out a better way to go and we follow. Will not there come a day when our former ripples are so faint as no longer to have any impressionability (power) over us anymore? Does that bodhisattva not have to suffer any consequence from the families the new man or woman has left behind to seek a new path —or something along those lines?
    ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
    thundreams wrote: »
    :)Dearest Thought of Thought,

Do not feel sad for me but rejoice. I am not taking on the karma of others but vowing to help sentient beings until all reach enlightenment. There is no choice...

It is only through prayer, non violence and the desire to share can we change the world...

Your writing is greatly appreciated. We each have our own road to walk and yours is different then mine but we both want the same things. It is much like a great wheel with spokes or roads. Each lead to the center which is enlightinment. Each road represents a different teaching but all lead to the same thing. I hope I have explained my feelings.

With Blessings and Much Metta
    Gail

Thundreams, I think you let TOT off the hook too easily.
    No boddhisattva can save even one being, much less all living beings. It is not possible.

I believe the above quote to be categorically unprovable and an indefensible statement.

May you always be well and do well!