Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Stress Ruins Everything

edited November 2009 in General Banter
Hey guys. Has this forum been made in response to the loss of E-Sangha? What happened to it? Anyway...thought I would share this article:

How Stress Ruins Everything And What You Can Do About It

EXCERPT wrote:
It seldom happens when we go through a day without experiencing stress. We are especially familiar with these feelings when they build up after a long day at work or while studying for a difficult final exam. In our modern industrialized world, it is more difficult now than ever to avoid stress, and some experts say this is leading to many unforeseen health-related problems. In a society that values multi-tasking, an over consumption of commercial goods, and exponential increases in economic production, no wonder it always feels like our heads are spinning and no wonder life often seems so hectic and uncontrollable.

However, stress is a necessary component to the human experience. Neurobiologist Robert Sapolsky, who is featured in the PBS documentary “Stress: Portrait Of A Killer,” explains how stress is an adaptive response of our nervous system. According to him, there are two main hormones involved in this stress response: epinephrine (also called “adrenaline”) and norepinephrine. Many recognize this biological process as the “fight or flight” response that takes place in our sympathetic nervous system. From an evolutionary perspective, this response was first adapted to increase an animal’s survival when confronted by an immediate danger. However, Sapolsky argues that humans tend to trigger this stress response psychologically, without any presence of a threatening stimulus. This “artificial” stress response is constantly being activated, which becomes severely taxing on our body’s resources, and later in life can result in some very undesirable outcomes.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    hello and welcome.

This forum existed all the while Esangha existed.
    You just didn't see it.
    But we did.
    Tee hee! Lucky us!:D

Now, E-sangha is resting.
    Yet we are not.
    But one day, we too will.....:winkc:

We generate our own stress. We are the creators of our own Stress....

The Four Noble Truths describe -

Stress,
    the origin of stress,
    the perpetuation of stress,
    the ceasing of stress.

So we know all this already.

What point would you like to put across? :)
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the reply! This place looks fun. :lol:

I just thought I'd share a link that may have been of interest to others here. I understand that Buddha's teachings reveal the cessation of stress, but it is still interesting to know its evolutionary origins and its biological correlates.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited November 2009
    What happened to E-Sangha? I never posted (I preferred this place), but I read a few things. Apparently their server crapped out and their hosting service refused to restore the data? That is a very odd story, usually hosting services are responsible for that sort of thing.

Anyhow, stress is bad for the body in many ways. But exercise is good for the body, as is mindfulness meditation:
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=mindfulness+benefits&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=2001&as_sdtp=on
  • edited November 2009
    Stress is only as bad as you allow it to be. I used to stress out all the time in school. But then I really examined the problem. Unless some problem is jeopardizing my life, why the hell am I worried? With that attitude always in mind, I simply chose to stop stressing about minor things in life and became very relaxed. My life improved infinitely without all the needless worry about things that couldn't kill me.