Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth- I have mixed feelings...

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
(Fair Warning...this is a long post) Ok basically...I've been studying all about Buddhism for a while now. I know about the Theravada and Mahayana Sects. I understand (at least at an intellectual level) The doctrines of Anatman (though spelling may still leave something to be desired), The 4 noble truths (including the 3 different kinds of suffering and the noble 8-fold path), Shunyatta (emptiness) and so on and so fourth.
I've also taken classes Buddhism's history and a compare and contrast of the different schools. My dilemma lies in the realm of rebirth. I find myself very much drawn to the idea...However, I fear the source of that attraction may be a tainted one. Recently I've been reading many books and articles in an attempt to figure out what it is that causes consciousness (Is it physical or not? Buddhism says no...but according to science-based on what I've read- consciousness is actually a function of the brain...so when the brain dies...that's it).
I've heard that Zen is not too heavy on the doctrine of rebirth...But I find myself caught between Tibetan Buddhism and Zen...I personally greatly dislike the idea that all conscious beings end up meeting the same fate...But if my yearning to believe in rebith is in fact a reflection of my own attachment to this false ego identity, that's contradictory to Buddhist goals anyway!
I guess what I'm asking is...What do you guys think? What made you decide to go with whatever persuasion you chose? Any information that I might be overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated ^^

Comments

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I guess what I'm asking is...What do you guys think? What made you decide to go with whatever persuasion you chose? Any information that I might be overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated ^^

Once I used to be a very logical person, demanding a reason for everything. Then I hit a place where I saw life as absurdity, that things just didn't fall into place. There was no firm ground to say "I am this", or "you are that" or "I am gonna do this" or "this is gonna happen" or "I know all about this". I realized that, even if we don't acknowledge it consciously, there are a lot of things in our life depending on beliefs, and I didn't like that. I thought I should just face the fact that life is hollow, very much like the story of Sisyphus (He was punished by the gods to roll a stone up the mountain, just to see it roll down again, and than he would go back and push it to the mountain top again for all eternity. His punishment was to be without meaning.)

Living with that belief was tough, but hey I had read about Buddhism and it was OK because life is suffering right? That seemed very logic indeed. But I wanted to be happy, and I was depressed. how could I? So I would just accept it? I supposedly had a great life, so why couldn't I be happy? Than I came to the conclusion that the beliefs we hold do have a point in them, and I chose to believe in a lot of things.

I started deeply believing in good things, great things, and that made me feel happy. I know, for a fact, that my belief in rebirth and karma is something I chose to believe, and I am very satisfied with it.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2009
    As far as I understand it, the Buddha didn't reject that specific mental events are contingent upon corresponding physical events in the brain, but he didn't explicitly promote it either. In The Buddha and His Teachings, for example, Narada Thera notes that:
    In the Patthana, the Book of Relations, the Buddha refers to the seat of consciousness, in such indirect terms as 'yam rupam nissaya—depending on that material thing', without positively asserting whether that rupa was either the heart (hadaya) or the brain. But, according to the view of commentators like Venerable Buddhaghosa and Anuruddha, the seat of consciousness is definitely the heart. It should be understood that the Buddha neither accepted nor rejected the popular cardiac theory.

But even though the Buddha detailed the mutual dependency of mental and physical activity and consciousness (DN 15), he wasn't a strict materialist. In regard to name-and-form (nama-rupa), for example, he didn't see consciousness as merely the byproduct of matter; he saw mentality and materiality as mutually sustaining immaterial and material phenomena, using the analogy of two sheaves of reeds leaning against one another to illustrate their relationship (SN 12.67).

While not as familiar with Tibetan or Zen, in Theravada, the literal interpretation of rebirth is viewed as an instantaneous process whereby the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditions the arising of a new consciousness (kind of like "spooky action at a distance" where two entangled particles communicate with each other instantaneously, even over great distances).

According to the teachings on dependent origination — a process of conditionality that's understood to occur moment to moment and over multiple lifetimes (non-literalists simply disregard the "three-life" model, e.g., see Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination) — if there are sufficient conditions present, those conditions with inevitably result in future births (SN 12.35). Along with consciousness, craving (tahna) plays a vital role in the renewal of beings and the production of future births.

To illustrate how craving could result in future births, the Buddha used a simile in which he compared the sustenance of a flame to that of a being at the time of death. Essentially, a flame burns in dependence on its fuel, and that fuel sustains it. When a flame burns in dependence on wood, for example, the wood sustains that flame. However, when a flame is swept up and carried away by the wind, the fuel of wind sustains that flame until it lands upon a new source of fuel.

In the same way, a being at the time of death has the fuel of craving as its sustenance (SN 44.9). Hence, the Buddha states, "Wherever there is a basis for consciousness, there is support for the establishing of consciousness. When consciousness is established and has come to growth, there is the production of renewed existence" (SN 12.38). The Buddha never really got more specific than that, though.

As for myself, however, I'm agnostic when it comes to rebirth. I'm open to the possibility, but I don't consider it a fact. That said, I do think that rebirth can be a useful teaching. Being open to teachings on rebirth, for example, has the potential to lead to skillful actions. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains in Faith in Awakening:
    ...instead of an empirical proof for his teaching on karma, the Buddha offered a pragmatic proof: If you believe in his teachings on causality, karma, rebirth, and the four noble truths, how will you act? What kind of life will you lead? Won't you tend to be more responsible and compassionate?

But luckily you don't have to believe in postmortem rebirth to be a Buddhist. As far as I know, there's no sort of Buddhist excommunication if you don't. You can be a Buddhist without believing in rebirth, or you can even take a non-literalist approach to rebirth if they want. The teachings are open to either interpretation.

For example, on one level, rebirth and kamma (literally "action") deal with the framework of morality and ethical conduct in general. In this sense, I understand rebirth to signify the Buddha's observation that there’s a type of continuity that underlies experience in the form of our actions and their results — one that does not necessarily end at death — and kamma to represent the intentional element of our psyche that goes into experience.

This corresponds to what the Buddha called "right view with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]" (MN 117). Here, morality and ethical conduct are associated with intentional actions and their corresponding results — which aren't just limited to those within the present lifetime — and the continuous cycle of birth and death (which can also be taken metaphorically).

On another level, rebirth and kamma deal with the framework of what I'd call psychological processes, which corresponds to what the Buddha called "noble right view, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path" (MN 117).

Here, rebirth still signifies the Buddha's observation that there’s a type of continuity that underlies experience in the form of our actions and their results, and kamma still represents the intentional element of our psyche that goes into experience, but they’re placed within the context of the four noble truths and the noble eightfold path. In this context, the emphasis is on things such as recognizing and understanding the mental processes by which we construct our sense of self, as well as how to utilize those processes in more skillful ways.

Looking at it from a more non-literalist perspective, however, I think that the teachings on dependent co-arising, the aggregates and not-self are quite insightful in that they're the parts of Buddhism that correspond to parts of modern psychology. For one thing, they basically detail the process by which we construct our sense of self, i.e., our ego or identity, and, ultimately, how to utilize that process in more skillful ways.

The aggregates themselves, for example, aren't simply descriptions of what constitutes a human being as some people mistakenly think—they're one of the many ways of looking at and dividing up experience that we find throughout the Pali Canon (e.g., aggregates, elements, six sense-media, etc.). But more importantly, they represent the most discernible aspects of our experience on top of which we construct our sense of self in a process of, as the Buddha called it, "I-making" and "my-making" (e.g., MN 109). I think that Thanissaro Bhikkhu sums up the relationship between the teachings on not-self and the process of I-making and my-making very well in his essay "The Problem Of Egolessness."

Our sense of self is quite fluid — it's always in flux, ever-changing from moment to moment in response to various internal and external stimuli — and it's often hard to observe this process in action. Nevertheless, there are times when our sense of self causes us a great deal of suffering, times when we cling very strongly to that momentary identity and the objects of our sensory experience on which it's based in ways that cause a great deal of mental stress.

But if we can learn to be more aware of these mental processes, we can learn to master them through a combination of mindfulness training and other techniques. I imagine that there are methods found within modern psychology that are comparable and equally as effective, but many people still find Buddhist methods helpful (and even some modern psychologists are finding them useful). So I can definitely understand the difficulty in accepting concepts such as rebirth, but there are plenty of other things in Buddhism that can potentially have an immediate impact on our mental well-being in the here and now.

However, in the end, I don't think it really matters which view of rebirth one holds because the actual practice is still the same. What truly matters is what you do with the teachings, not what you believe about them. That's why I think the Buddha likened his teachings to a raft in MN 22:
    ...I have taught the Dhamma compared to a raft, for the purpose of crossing over, not for the purpose of holding onto. Understanding the Dhamma as taught compared to a raft, you should let go even of Dhammas, to say nothing of non-Dhammas.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    My dilemma lies in the realm of rebirth. I find myself very much drawn to the idea...
    If you are drawn to it then believe it. Personally, I have never been drawn to it thus never believed it.

However, to comment objectively rather than subjectively, in Buddhism, rebirth is a mundane or worldly doctrine. The Buddha himself advised the rebirth teaching sides with merit but it is not a factor of the path.

(See link to MN 117 in Jason's post above).

Every religion has different teachings for worldlings (puttujana) and for serious practitioners.

Best wishes

DDhatu

:)
    edited November 2009
    Jason wrote: »
    According to the teachings on dependent origination — a process of conditionality that's understood to occur moment to moment and over multiple lifetimes (non-literalists simply disregard the "three-life" model, e.g., see Paticcasamuppada: Practical Dependent Origination) — if there are sufficient conditions present, those conditions with inevitably result in future births (SN 12.35). Along with consciousness, craving (tahna) plays a vital role in the renewal of beings and the production of future births.
    Jason

Your explanation here appears contrary to the Buddha.

Dependent origination is merely about the origin of suffering, which is something mental.

Ignorance, which includes all kinds of emotional tendencies, conditions the kaya, vaca & citta sankharas, which condition consciousness and the mind body.

For example, when teenagers enter puberity, due to hormonal changes in their bodies, all they can see is sex. Their consciousness is tainted or coloured by sexual or reproductive mental tendencies.

This build of ignorance & craving then leads to suffering, such as heartbreak, due to loss. Loss is aging & death. Birth is full blown self-definition and acquisition of the five aggregates, such as "I am her boyfriend, she is my girlfriend".

In brief, the Buddha called Dependent Origination "the Dhamma". The Buddha said: "He who sees Dependent Origination sees the Dhamma".

This is a matter to be seen but you still appear to be promoting speculative views.

Your explanation of Dependent Origination is not the same as the Buddha's, who advised all of the various conditions of Dependent Origination arise and cease "when the eye sees the form, when the ear hears the sound, etc".

Therefore, if you wish to quote suttas about rebirth, it is best to stick to those which the Buddha gave to Brahmins and other Hindus.

Kind regards

:)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The three responses you got are so good that I'm afraid of spoiling the effect. But what fly can resist dive-bombing the ointment?
    I've also taken classes Buddhism's history and a compare and contrast of the different schools.
    It's probably a mark of what a bad Buddhist I am and how caught up in intellectual attainment I am that I'm impressed. But that doesn't alter the fact that I'm impressed.
    My dilemma lies in the realm of rebirth. I find myself very much drawn to the idea.
    I'd go with DD's advice. Even if you eventually reject the idea, it's worth exploring the idea that this stream of consciousness could be me, or Mother Teresa, or Adolf Hitler, or God, or a feces-eating maggot. What this stream of consciousness is has implications for liberation, but other than that it's not terribly important. Realizing that has implications.
    However, I fear the source of that attraction may be a tainted one.
    Attraction itself is a taint. So is repulsion, and so is neutrality. On the other hand, if you are attracted to right view, it doesn't matter how perverted the source of that attraction is.
    I've heard that Zen is not too heavy on the doctrine of rebirth.
    Assuming that Zen is what Zen Buddhists do and not an idealized notion in some Zen Buddhist's mind, it really depends on which Zen Buddhist you talk to. (Speaking as a Zen Buddhist.) If you're attracted to Tibetan Buddhism, find a Tibetan teacher who doesn't care whether you believe in rebirth or not. I don't know how common they are, but they do exist.
    But if my yearning to believe in rebith is in fact a reflection of my own attachment to this false ego identity, that's contradictory to Buddhist goals anyway!
    Buddhism sort of assumes that your starting point is attachment to your false ego identity. If it's not, let me know and I'll come study at your feet.
    I treat rebirth the same way I treat god-belief. I don't believe that it has any affect on my practice, so I don't need to take a position on it. If rebirth were proven to be true, my practice wouldn't change. If it were proven to be false, my practice wouldn't change.
  • edited November 2009
    You will find better results, if instead of after-life you focused on the life now.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks guys. That's a lot of new info. In truth, even though I've done lots of research on my own, that's all it's been: research. I still have not actually even formally visited a Buddhist center yet...
    The thing that I'm being torn by is...on the one hand, if I don't reach liberation in this lifetime, the idea of a physical rebirth is comforting to me (I would still have other opportunities). On the other, I'm afraid that the idea might also inhibit me as well....because so far in my own train of thought...there has been quite a few "I's". If I consciously hold such views as an attempt to hold on to this false "self"...well that's not being very Buddhist.
    I think part of me wants to except the idea so I can identify as a Buddhist...(and no offense, I know that one is free not to except the idea of physical rebirth and still be considered a Buddhist).
    Yet, I also fear the idea of being ridiculed and shunned by my peers for excepting such beliefs (Although, being an out and proud homosexual...I should be used to that by now, right?)
    As always, there is also the fear of being wrong...Which I think most of us have (unless I'm once again trying to bring myself comfort).
    I also find myself thinking, "If I'm reborn...it won't matter too hard...as most of us seem to have no recollection of past lives." and "If I'm not reborn and there is nothing after this...well I think I'd have little choice then to be cool with it.
    (My mom's boyfriend was legally dead for like 2 mins and he says to him it was just like being asleep...but that raises the question of did he or did he not actually enter the intermediate state?...but that would be another long and debate-ridden thread...).
    Now I'm not even sure of what it was I was originally trying to ask...Ultimately I think my own disposition is, "If other people are cool with it, it's alright. I'm not stupid just because I except this...plenty of people except this." <= None of that is Buddhist! ><
    In these ways I see myself with defeatist tendencies...I look at my family and friends (99% of which are not Buddhist. They mainly are either not-religious or have Christian influences...Which I rejected a long time ago...I'm proud that I can at least make up my mind that far) and wonder why it is that I concern myself and cause myself so much stress over such things when others don't? They seem much happier then I am (even though they have more issues then Time magazine...trust me).
    Help?
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Like a wave upon the sea, life is a process that arises, goes on for a time, then returns from whence it came. The wave is water all along, but for a while it identifies as a wave. Water never dies. It evaporates under the sun, and rises to the sky. It forms into clouds, it returns to the earth. It flows upon the land and gives life to plants and animals. It rushes downstream and empties into the great oceans, where the process is repeated endlessly.

The human body is 60% water.

We are all part of the process of life. The components of our bodies have literally been through millions of incarnations. The water on earth is the same water that's been here about 4.5 billion years. That's a lot of time to cycle around. So in at least a biological sense, the concept of "rebirth" is not mystical at all. It is scientific fact.

As for an eternal, invisible consciousness that transcends the physical body, and goes on and on throughout the ages? I haven't a clue. I'm not particularly concerned about it one way or another. What I know and understand to be true is quite enough to dispel the fear of death. Death is a natural process, a transition into the unknown, strikingly similar to birth. Both are painful. Both are frightening. Both are uncertain. Both are inescapable. It is only human to fear the unknown; this is understandable. Dwelling upon it, however, is irrational. Does the wave, seeing the rocky shore, fear its impending demise?

My rational understanding of rebirth allows me to accept the more esoteric versions without much ado. The only means of actually testing those theories, however, is, in fact, to die. Therefore, I feel quite at ease with putting such exploration off, for a while, and remaining happily agnostic. ;)

In the meantime, I am perfectly at peace with both living and dying. They are, after all, inseparable from ourselves. Every moment of life, is also a moment of death.

Chew on that for a while. ;)
  • edited November 2009
    After reading both your posts, taintedfire, I'd say your problem is the same as most people who are not awakened. You are torn between your desires, problems, fears, goals, and most of all, your sense of self. The important thing for you right now, is to start practicing now. That means, any beliefs that would be conducive to you practicing now, are best. Thus, if you think that believing in Rebirth would make you lax, then do not believe in it.

You need to start practicing now.

Let me tell you something, After you have practiced for a while, you may come to the realization that "waking up" is not something that happens after years of arduous hard work. If you want, you can wake up right now. In fact, there is no other way to wake up. The only way to wake up, is to wake up right now. This is why it is so important for you to start practicing now. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just go next year." Or anything that looks to the future, you will fail.

Indeed, if your goal is to end suffering, your goal should be to end suffering right now.
    edited November 2009
    However, to comment objectively rather than subjectively, in Buddhism, rebirth is a mundane or worldly doctrine. The Buddha himself advised the rebirth teaching sides with merit but it is not a factor of the path.

And yet the Buddha himself also advised that his teachings have one taste—the "taste of liberation" (Ud 5.5). So unless everyone you're preaching to is an arahant, I'd submit to you that "mundane" teachings are just as relevant as "supramundane" teachings.
    edited November 2009
    And yet the Buddha himself also advised that his teachings have one taste—the "taste of liberation" (Ud 5.5). So unless everyone you're preaching to is an arahant, I'd submit to you that "mundane" teachings are just as relevant as "supramundane" teachings.
    Dear Jason

The Buddha advised in MN 117 the rebirth teachings do not side with liberation.

The Buddha advised of his core teachings in many places but never included rebirth in this list.

If I am enlightened and explain the Bible clearly to Christians, this does not mean the Christian teaching forms part of my core doctrine.

The same. When Buddha taught more clearly the pre-existing Brahministic views, this does not mean the Brahministic teachings formed part of his core doctrines.
    What I teach now as before, O monks, is suffering and the cessation of suffering. MN 22

Now, the Blessed One has said, "Whoever sees dependent co-arising sees the Dhamma; whoever sees the Dhamma sees dependent co-arising." And these things — the five aggregates affected by clinging — are dependently co-arisen. Any desire, embracing, grasping & holding on to these five aggregates is the origination of stress. Any subduing of desire & passion, any abandoning of desire & passion for these five aggregates is the cessation of stress.' MN 28

And which Dhamma taught by me is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives? 'There are these six elements' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. 'There are these six media of sensory contact' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. 'There are these eighteen contemplations [of feeling] for the mind' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. 'There are these Four Noble Truths' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. AN 3.61

"And what have I taught? 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress': This is what I have taught. And why have I taught these things? Because they are connected with the goal, relate to the rudiments of the holy life, and lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Nibbana. This is why I have taught them. The Simsapa Leaves

"Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited. We will lend ear, will set our hearts on knowing them, will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.' Ani Sutta

"Enough, Vakkali! What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma." Vakkali Sutta

Then the Blessed One gave the householder Upali the gradual teaching starting with giving gifts, becoming virtuous, about the heavenly states, the dangers of sensuality, the vileness of defiling things and benefits of giving up. Then the Blessed One knew that the mind of the householder Upali was ready, malleable, free of hindrances, lofty and pleased and the Blessed One gave the special message of the Enlightened Ones: Unpleasantness, its arising, its cessation and the path to the cessation of unpleasantness. Like a pure, clean cloth would take a dye evenly. In that same manner, the dustless, stainless eye of the Teaching arose to the householder Upali, seated there itself. Whatever rises has the nature of ceasing. MN 56

So then, bhikkhus, the holy life is led not for gain, honour and fame, not for the endowment of virtues, not for the endowment of concentration, not for the endowment of knowledges and vision. Bhikkhus, it is for the unshakeable freedom of mind, that is the essence & end of the holy life. MN 29

edited November 2009
    The Buddha advised in MN 117 the rebirth teachings do not side with liberation.

Not directly, no, but he also advised in Ud 5.5 that his teachings have one taste, the "taste of liberation." So while I think you make a good point, unless it can be shown that his teachings on rebirth — or any other "mundane" teachings for that matter — aren't considered Dhamma, I will continue to consider his mundane teachings as relevant to the path as his supramundane teachings.
  • edited November 2009
    Thinking of myself as a result of an infinite number of actions and influences has been a burden relief. Even the thoughts and decisions that I once considered my own appear under further examination to be nothing more than responses to both external and internal stimulus. I am only aware of a miniscule amount of these influences. The vast majority act without my direct knowledge yet I suspect that their impact is significant.

The interdependence of all becomes increasingly evident with each passing day. I don't need to know what will happen beyond the demise of my physical body and mind as long as I know that the universe and all of existence that has produced me will continue.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The thing that I'm being torn by is...on the one hand, if I don't reach liberation in this lifetime, the idea of a physical rebirth is comforting to me (I would still have other opportunities).

You have already reached what you call liberation an infinite number of times in this very life. The moments were so brief, that you just didn't recognize it.

You can be more mindful of these moments in meditation. They will get longer... and longer... you'll start to learn to recognize these moments in everyday life, and carry your practice into daily life.

If you're searching for something outside of yourself then you're searching in the wrong places.

A good place to start, is to understand what it truly means to be Awakened (or "liberated"). What are you looking for from Buddhism, from Enlightenment?

I agree with Thought of Thought to this extent.
    edited November 2009
    Not directly, no, but he also advised in Ud 5.5 that his teachings have one taste, the "taste of liberation." So while I think you make a good point, unless it can be shown that his teachings on rebirth — or any other "mundane" teachings for that matter — aren't considered Dhamma, I will continue to consider his mundane teachings as relevant to the path as his supramundane teachings.
    I already showed it above. Plus, you are misrepresenting the Udana, which uses the great ocean as a simile for nibbana & vimuttu (liberation).

In MN 117, the Buddha stated the rebirth teachings sides with asava. Asava means effluents or pollution; toxic outflows or sewerage.

That rebirth has the flavour of liberation is impossible.

:o
    edited November 2009
    Interesting. I'll have to reflect on that a bit.
  • edited November 2009
    Hey guys.Thanks for all of the input...I'm still slightly confused (sooooo much information...brain hurts).
    I think I personally might have deeper reasons as to why I, in a sense, hope for physical rebirth...But it's not just for my own sake.
    I hear stories the same stories on the news that I'm sure you all have heard as well...'This person was raped and then murdered' 'These people are starving'...I can't even watch the news anymore because it just...aches...to hear these kinds of stories.
    Also on a personal level...I have a family that is-I'm sure like most families- completely insane. My brother has been arrested a few times and kicked out of several schools. He's been heavily involved with drugs and alcohol as well. He also has a serious problem with rage. He's put someone in the hospital before. He's also nearly committed physical violence towards my grandparents because they tried to get him to calm down when he didn't pass a driving exam...he's 18 and going for his license. (My mom, brother and I live with my grandparents).
    My mom at least got a high school education...but she has had kind of a similar story. She's had serious issues with drugs (and to some extent, still does), and she also has such a serious shopping addiction (her room is so cluttered you can only open the door a good 45 degrees). She never really got over the divorce...and now she's with a guy that...well sucks. She might actually end up becoming mortally ill because of him (I really don't care to elaborate too much further on that).
    I see my dad sometimes (I work full-time and so does he and we live about 20 miles apart. We don't often get time to see each other. But we use the telephone).
    I'm not telling this because I want sympathy (at least I hope not...maybe on some not-too-helpful level I do). Buddhism has helped me to have a much more positive outlook in these situations though. I guess the belief in rebirth makes me feel like...There will always be hope for me and the ones I love to recognize the peace that is right here.
    I know I can't force the Dharma on anyone The little bits I've tried to explain to my mom...she just doesn't get....not at all actually. (She says it's way too deep for her)
    My brother just doesn't care...
    I guess I don't even know what I'm asking for now...I guess...is there any hope for them...Or are we all, regardless of our actions...bound to meet the same fate? -Don't be afraid to be honest. Any help/guidance/plain old advice...would be greatly appreciated.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    There's no hope. It's all hopeless. I understand that the famous Tibetan teacher once gave a talk in which he spent the entire time saying "hopeless... hopeless..." over and over again.

On the other hand, the peace that is right here, is always right here, and nothing fancy is needed to access it. Everything everybody does is chasing after that peace in some way. Your family members access it all the time, just not very stably.

I'm sorry your family's having a tough time. I hope you all find peace.
    edited November 2009
    Nisargadatta Maharaj, when asked to speak of the problems in his life, replied, “In my world, nothing ever goes wrong.”

You must give your consent to have a problem, whether the problem is yours or that of another. Granted, there is much suffering in the world. It is wonderful to pour your compassion out to those in need. If their suffering causes you to suffer, however, you have failed them. As Dr. Wayne Dyer pointed out, no amount of feeling bad will make another happy. No amount of disease will cure disease, no amount of hunger will cure hunger, no amount of hate will cure hate. "Only love conquers hate," said the Buddha. Only eating cures hunger, only "ease" cures "dis-ease," only happiness cures sadness. Choose happiness and you will bring happiness to those around you.

Some people will never attain lasting peace in a single lifetime. It's okay. At least on a biological level, rebirth is fact. If it comforts you to believe in a metaphysical rebirth, as well, then there is no harm in it. I don't know what happens after the death of the body, but I know for certain something happens. That's enough for me. In the meantime, just enjoy your family while you have them, even if they make you crazy. Accept them as they are, even the parts that hurt you. You will suffer more if you want or expect them to be something different.

"If you look at a mountain and say, 'There is a mountain,' you have created a mountain. Likewise, if you look at a situation and say, 'This is a problem,' you have created a problem. Guard your thoughts with great care, lest you create chaos where there is only peace." ~ Heather Haze (http://BorromeanRings.com)
  • edited November 2009
    Ok so...Another question! Just out of curiosity. Who practices what sect of Buddhism? I ask because I know they emphasize different things...I personally love watching teachings on the internet by Thubten Chodron, Ajahn Brahm, and Joan Halifax Roshi (of The Tibetan Gelugpa, Theravadan, and Zen traditions respectively). Would you consider it counterproductive to take lessons given from practitioners of various sects? (For example, Ven. Thubten Chodron has explained that if there is a particularly difficult teaching; such as rebirth, then it's perfectly ok to put it on the backburner and come back to it later when you have a better understanding...even though rebirth is emphasized in Tibetan Buddhism vs. the Zen schools).
    edited November 2009
    Ok so...Another question! Just out of curiosity. Who practices what sect of Buddhism? I ask because I know they emphasize different things...I personally love watching teachings on the internet by Thubten Chodron, Ajahn Brahm, and Joan Halifax Roshi (of The Tibetan Gelugpa, Theravadan, and Zen traditions respectively). Would you consider it counterproductive to take lessons given from practitioners of various sects? (For example, Ven. Thubten Chodron has explained that if there is a particularly difficult teaching; such as rebirth, then it's perfectly ok to put it on the backburner and come back to it later when you have a better understanding...even though rebirth is emphasized in Tibetan Buddhism vs. the Zen schools).
    Learning is never counterproductive. Learn all you can from everyone you can. Then draw your own conclusions based upon your direct understanding and experience.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Would you consider it counterproductive to take lessons given from practitioners of various sects?

It's actually the smartest thing you can do. Exactly as Arietta said. If George Bush says something brilliant one day (ha. ha.) that benefits you, take it for what it is and leave the rest of his crap behind. ;)
    edited November 2009
    I already showed it above. Plus, you are misrepresenting the Udana, which uses the great ocean as a simile for nibbana & vimuttu (liberation).

I agree that the teachings are about ending suffering, which is something mental, but after contemplating what you said a bit more, I'm still not convinced that his teachings on rebirth aren't considered Dhamma.

While it's true that the teachings on kamma and rebirth correspond to what the Buddha called "right view with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]," they're still a part of right view. Moreover, the view that there is "no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings," etc. is considered wrong view. Therefore, the teachings on kamma and rebirth are considered Dhamma.

As for Ud. 5.5, I'm not sure how I'm misrepresenting it. The passage I referred to states:
    And furthermore, just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Doctrine and Discipline has a single taste: that of release... This is the sixth amazing and astounding fact about this Doctrine and Discipline that, as they see it again and again, has the monks greatly pleased with the Doctrine and Discipline.

The teachings on kamma and rebirth, even though they correspond to what the Buddha called "right view with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]," are still a part of right view, and right view, being part of the noble eightfold pat, leads to liberation. And as the Buddha illustrates in Ud 5.5, his teachings have the single taste of liberation, i.e., he taught only what was conducive to liberation.

So perhaps you could explain to me why you think rebirth isn't considered Dhamma, how I'm misrepresenting Ud 5.5, etc.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    While it's true that the teachings on kamma and rebirth correspond to what the Buddha called "right view with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]," they're still a part of right view. Moreover, the view that there is "no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings," etc. is considered wrong view. Therefore, the teachings on kamma and rebirth are considered Dhamma.

The assertion that there is literal rebirth, and the assertion that there is not literal rebirth, are both just beliefs. The Buddha taught to abandon all beliefs, because they are not Dhamma. "Right View with no effluents" has no mention of either, because these beliefs are irrelevent to the Buddha's teachings, which lead to Nibbana. Whereas it says that "Right View with Effluents" leads to future becoming ("There is right view with effluents [asava], siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]") - you can take that literally or in the sense of the ego, but either way, the point remains the same.

"I reached the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. Knowledge & vision arose in me: 'Unprovoked is my release. This is the last birth. There is now no further becoming." (MN 26)

Some beliefs may be helpful and lead someone to a better life, but ultimately, they aren't necessary/relevent to the Buddha's own teachings on the cessation of suffering and ultimately must be let go as well (Nibbana = no asava). And some beliefs, like those mentioned in Wrong View ("there is no such thing as literal karma or rebirth and therefore my actions do not have consequences"), aren't helpful, period.
  • edited November 2009
    (Is it physical or not? Buddhism says no...but according to science-based on what I've read- consciousness is actually a function of the brain...so when the brain dies...that's it).
    Really? I've read the opposite. In fact more recently for example, that neuroscience has found, that the visual cortex isn't linked with the eye at all in the way we thought. It can be linked with any other sense perceptionthat is used for imaging. Nor have have scientists yet located the neural correlates for consciousness itself (it's early days yet). What have you heard?

Perhaps you might enjoy:
    Toward the First Revolution in the Mind Sciences - Alan Wallace, Ph.D

In either case, rebirth is not something to believe in. The goal as stated by the buddha is the cessation of birth, death, sickness, and old age. The only way to bring that cessation about is by realizing the Four Noble Truths through you yourself becoming an Arya (stream enterer).

Belief doesn't cut it, we need to keep studying and meditating. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    ...I look at my family and friends ... and wonder why it is that I concern myself and cause myself so much stress over such things when others don't? They seem much happier then I am (even though they have more issues then Time magazine...trust me).
    Help?
    Hi, Fire. Welcome to the site.

You've definitely been thinking a lot, haven't you? It sounds like there's a lot going on in your mind at the moment and you're probably looking for a little peace and quiet and maybe some measure of certainty.

Unfortunately questions about rebirth are very much like questions about the existence of a creator god or the origins of the universe etc; there just aren't any certain answers.

The good news is that we don't need answers to questions like those in order to be happy. All we need to do is practice and happiness will follow. For many of us that means putting aside these kinds of questions for now and focusing our minds on what we can understand and verify for ourselves. For example, we could concentrate on developing more compassion and empathy for ourselves and others. I'm sure you already know what sort of results you'll get from that kind of practice. Or we could work on developing more patience when faced with potentially stressful situations or people. Or we could simply meditate and focus our minds on the breath. Or we could practice mindfulness while we wash the dishes. Or we could read or listen to Dhamma teachings and when something comes up that we don't understand we can put it aside for the time being and focus on the things we do understand. More understanding will come in time. Remember when you first started to study Buddhism? There were a lot of things you didn't understand then that you understand now. You don't have to have all the answers right this minute in order to develop spiritually. Take it slowly and carefully. Simplify...and be patient.

And definitely don't bother comparing your happiness with the happiness of others. We can't know what's going on in other people's minds and hearts so it's pointless to compare our happiness (or lack thereof) with the happiness we think other people enjoy. Maybe they're absolutely miserable but put on a good show. Who knows except them? It's impossible to get an accurate measurement and it will just frustrate and annoy you and make you feel bad about yourself and that's just counterproductive. Don't measure your happiness at all. Just practice. Happiness will follow inevitably. :)
    edited November 2009
    Some beliefs may be helpful and lead someone to a better life, but ultimately, they aren't necessary/relevent to the Buddha's own teachings on the cessation of suffering and ultimately must be let go as well (Nibbana = no asava). And some beliefs, like those mentioned in Wrong View ("there is no such thing as literal karma or rebirth and therefore my actions do not have consequences"), aren't helpful, period.

I think that's a good way of breaking it down, o0Mundus-Vult-Decipi0o. That's pretty much what I was trying to get at when I said:
    As for myself, however, I'm agnostic when it comes to rebirth. I'm open to the possibility, but I don't consider it a fact. That said, I do think that rebirth can be a useful teaching. Being open to teachings on rebirth, for example, has the potential to lead to skillful actions. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains in Faith in Awakening:
    ...instead of an empirical proof for his teaching on karma, the Buddha offered a pragmatic proof: If you believe in his teachings on causality, karma, rebirth, and the four noble truths, how will you act? What kind of life will you lead? Won't you tend to be more responsible and compassionate?
    edited November 2009
    As for myself, however, I'm agnostic when it comes to rebirth. I'm open to the possibility, but I don't consider it a fact. That said, I do think that rebirth can be a useful teaching. Being open to teachings on rebirth, for example, has the potential to lead to skillful actions.
    I am having to slowly change the way I see rebirth. I usually take it literally, but when you meditate on the 12 links you really gotta see birth happening in the moment, and it is easier if you see as the beginning of a process rather than something you apply solely to human birth as we understand it. Maybe the problem is not with the concept of rebirth as much as with the concept of birth. :-S
    edited November 2009
    I am having to slowly change the way I see rebirth. I usually take it literally, but when you meditate on the 12 links you really gotta see birth happening in the moment, and it is easier if you see as the beginning of a process rather than something you apply solely to human birth as we understand it. Maybe the problem is not with the concept of rebirth as much as with the concept of birth. :-S

I can't say that I disagree, NamelessRiver. I've had to do the same myself. Well said.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2009

I can see it both ways, but only one I can directly verify without supramundane vision is the moment-to-moment aspect of rebirth. Now, I've studied the pali suttas a good deal, though, and I at least take it that the Buddha intentionally taught literal rebirth and that it is of some significance. It is 2/3 of the "three kinds of knowledge" that a Buddha possesses:
    The Lord Buddha is One who is endowed with three or eight kinds of knowledge and fifteen kinds of conduct.

“Vijja” means (higher) knowledge and “Carana”, good conduct (practice) that guides to a noble disciple and sends him towards the deathless.

There are “Three Kinds of Knowledge”
    1. The knowledge that the Buddha recollects His past lives,
    2. the knowledge capable of seeing the decease and rebirth of beings, and
    3. the knowledge capable of eradicating defilements.
    http://www.tbsa.org/articles/BuddhaQualities.html

Now, you may argue that the 3rd is the only important knowledge one needs for liberation, but, according to the actual suttas which discuss these 3 knowledge in any detail, that 3rd knowledge dependent upon the previous 2. This suggests that the buddha not only teaches rebirth, but that his direct knowledge of it was at the base of his realization. Also, the Buddha uses rebirth in other sutras not directy about rebirth. For example, in the Brahmajala Sutta in the sections on the sixty-two wrong views, he uses it to explain how some of the wrong views come about:
    31. In this world, bhikkhus, a certain samana or brahmana achieves utmost mental concentration by dint of ardent, steadfast, persevering exertion, mindfulness and right attentiveness. When his mind has thus gained the highest concentration, he recollects many past existences3. And what does he recollect?

He recollects one past existence, or two, or three, or four, or five, or ten, or twenty, or thirty, or forty, or fifty, or a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand existences, or many hundred, many thousand, many hundred thousand existences in this way: "In that past existence I was known by such a name. I was born into such a family. I was of such an appearance. I was thus nourished. I enjoyed pleasure thus. I suffered pain thus. My life-span was such. I died in that existence. I was born in another existence. In that (new) existence I was known by such a name. I was born into such a family. I was of such an appearance. I was thus nourished, I enjoyed pleasure thus. I suffered pain thus. My life-span was such. I died in that existence. Then I was born in this existence." In this way he recollects many past existences together with their characteristics and related facts (such as names and clans).

He says thus:

"Atta as well as loka is eternal, barren,4 standing like a mountain peak and firm like a gate post. Beings transmigrate, go the round of rebirths, die and are born again. Atta or loka, however, is permanent like all things of an unchanging and enduring nature. It must be so because I have achieved utmost mental concentration by dint of ardent, steadfast, persevering exertion, mindfulness and right attentiveness. When my mind has thus gained the highest concentration, I can recollect many past existences. And what do I recollect?
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/theravada/brahma1.htm

There are a few other examples in that section of other wrong views being based on recollections of previous incarnations.

So, I guess I have to kind of agree with Jason when he said that the Buddha did, in fact, teach rebirth as Right View. Now, you could perhaps argue it's not necessary to believe in literal, post-mortem rebirth to progress on the path, but I think you're being disingenuous if you think the sutras did not present such a teaching. Personally, I have no idea. I don't believe in anything I haven't seriously attempted to verify and I am aware of how strong any personal evidence I have found may or may not be. Belief is not a black-white dichotomy, but a spectrum. I have strong confidence that the suttas are our best representation of what the Buddha taught and that they were not altered to add rebirth since the time of the Buddha. From there, I have a moderate belief that the Buddha did what he said he did and strong belief that his prescribed practices can lead to greater understanding of life and more internal peace.

Anyway, there's my $0.02 for the day.
    edited November 2009
    So, I guess I have to kind of agree with Jason when he said that the Buddha did, in fact, teach rebirth as Right View. Now, you could perhaps argue it's not necessary to believe in literal, post-mortem rebirth to progress on the path, but I think you're being disingenuous if you think the sutras did not present such a teaching.

I am sure it was presented in the suttas as literal, my problem is that I can't put it into practice, that is all (not in meditation, but it has implications on other parts of the path), so while meditating on the nidanas I have to use the reinterpretation many people make.
    edited November 2009
    I am sure it was presented in the suttas as literal, my problem is that I can't put it into practice, that is all (not in meditation, but it has implications on other parts of the path), so while meditating on the nidanas I have to use the reinterpretation many people make.

At the beginning, I also had the view that rebirth was presented literally in most contexts, but people like DhammaDhatu have made some good arguments against this. And the more I think about it, the more those argument make sense to me. I'm still not convinced that rebirth isn't considered Dhamma, but as o0Mundus-Vult-Decipi0o said, some beliefs [like rebirth] may be helpful and lead someone to a better life, but ultimately, they aren't necessary for achieving liberation.

So I guess I half agree with DhammaDhatu that the teachings on rebirth aren't as relevant to the path as his supramundane teachings, I'll concede that much. But I still think they can be useful to a certain extent (e.g., as motivation), and I still consider them Dhamma, otherwise the Buddha wouldn't have taught them at all, let alone include them under right view.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Now, you could perhaps argue it's not necessary to believe in literal, post-mortem rebirth to progress on the path, but I think you're being disingenuous if you think the sutras did not present such a teaching.

In the suttas the Buddha no doubt discusses literal rebirth; this is not argued by anyone here (the only one you will find arguing this is a certain Kevin :lol:). The question is, who did he discuss these things with, and why would he discuss something that ultimately had to be left behind?
    There are “Three Kinds of Knowledge” (Three Vijja)
    1. The knowledge that the Buddha recollects His past lives,
    2. the knowledge capable of seeing the decease and rebirth of beings, and
    3. the knowledge capable of eradicating defilements.

In MN12, which is what this is referencing, what is often translated as "recollects his past lives" is pubbenivasanusattinyana which means "recollection of past dwellings."
    Bhikkhus, any group of Samanas or Brahmins when recollecting pubbenivasa (previous dwellings), naturally recollect such previous dwellings in diverse numbers; in doing so, all of those Samanas and Brahmins recollect the five upadana-khandhas or any one of the five upadana-khandhas. What are these five? The five are …

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect rupa (form) as "in the distant past we had a rupa like this."

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect vedana (feeling) as "in the distant past we had vedana like this."

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect sanya (recognition, perception) as "in the distant past we had sanya like this."

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect sankhara (concocting, thinking, emotions) as "in the distant past we had sankhara like this."

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect vinyanaas "in the distant past we had a vinyana like this."

Bhikkhus, in these five khandha, the well trained noble disciple naturally investigates until seeing clearly that "Right now, I am devoured by rupa (form); even in the past, I was devoured by rupa, just as I am devoured by present rupa right now. If I indulge in future rupa, I will be devoured by rupa even in the distant future, just as I am devoured by present rupa right now." When this noble disciple investigates and clearly sees in this way, she doesn’t dwell on past rupa, doesn’t seek pleasure in future rupa, and practices for disenchantment with, the fading away of, and the quenching of present rupa.

(The Buddha then discussed vedana, sanya, sankhara, and vinyana in exactly the same terms.)

Bhikkhus, the well trained noble disciple when seeing in this way, is naturally disenchanted with rupa, vedana, sanya, sankhara, and vinyana. When disenchanted, naturally becomes dispassionate. Because of this dispassion, he is liberated. When liberated, he naturally has the insight that liberation has occurred.

[Tan Ajarn's comment: Students should note that this sense of pubbenivasanusattinyana isn’t in conflict with the Great Standards of the Mahaparinibbana Sutta (sutte osaretabbam vinaye sandassetabbam), and has none of the hints of sassataditthi (eternalism) that appear in the usual explanations of the Three Vijja. Please ponder this with especial care.]

In the case you describe, he doesn't appear to be speaking in the literal sense.
    Now, you may argue that the 3rd is the only important knowledge one needs for liberation, but, according to the actual suttas which discuss these 3 knowledge in any detail, that 3rd knowledge dependent upon the previous 2. This suggests that the buddha not only teaches rebirth, but that his direct knowledge of it was at the base of his realization.

What suttas say that? Also, these "powers" are of a Tathagata, i.e. one already Awakened, so how could they be a factor to the path to Awakening? These things are synonymous with Nibbana, not steps leading it.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hey Jason,
    So I guess I half agree with DhammaDhatu that the teachings on rebirth aren't as relevant to the path as his supramundane teachings, I'll concede that much. But I still think they can be useful to a certain extent (e.g., as motivation), otherwise the Buddha wouldn't have taught them at all, let alone include them under right view.

What I wonder, though, is if he had been in a place where, say, Catholicism was common, would have taught rebirth, or would he have made use of their preexisting beliefs? Brahmans often came to him believing things like if they killed however many people in battle, they would be rewarded with being reborn with the gods. The Buddha would deny this, and use their beliefs of karma and literal rebirth to direct them in a more moral direction. But once you get down to the heart of the Dhamma, you find these sorts of beliefs are not necessary to lead such a life, and find reasons beyond fear of consequence to act with compassion. Can't any similar belief, though, be used in such a way, and as motivation? sherlock.gifI wonder what the Buddha would have taught, here and now... sherlock.gif
    edited November 2009
    Jason,

That's why I said I see it as both. I have no issue whatsoever reflecting on the teachings of rebirth and paticca samupada in both literal and metaphorical/allegorical/psychological language and honestly, the latter is much more helpful to reflect upon in my day-to-day, moment-to-moment practice. Honestly, I have no idea the veracity of literal, post-mortem rebirth, and it doesn't personally affect my practice that much one way or the other. Perhaps if I had more faith in this idea, I would practice a little harder, but I don't really know.

Mundus,

The teaching of the three-knowledges corresponds with the standard run-down of the night of the Buddha's awakening. This is from MN 36:
    "When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of recollecting my past lives. I recollected my manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two...five, ten...fifty, a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand, many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion, many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion: 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus I remembered my manifold past lives in their modes & details.

"This was the first knowledge I attained in the first watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/buddha.html

Passages such as these makes me hesitant to accept your translation of former lives as former dwellings. I guess I just don't think that the context of the language indicates what you are arguing. How does your version translate "many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion"? What about where it says:

"'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance.

How does your version translate that? Even if the sutta you provided was meant to mean dwellings, rather than lives, there are a lot of others we'd have to analyze before accepting that your argument somehow knocks down literal rebirth as an explicit teaching of the scriptures.
    edited November 2009
    Thought I'd post the remainder of the requested Sutta reference in regards to the three knowledges.
    "When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of the passing away & reappearance of beings. I saw — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — beings passing away & re-appearing, and I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma: 'These beings — who were endowed with bad conduct of body, speech, & mind, who reviled the noble ones, held wrong views and undertook actions under the influence of wrong views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. But these beings — who were endowed with good conduct of body, speech & mind, who did not revile the noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destinations, in the heavenly world.' Thus — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — I saw beings passing away & re-appearing, and I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma.

"This was the second knowledge I attained in the second watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.

"When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of the ending of the mental fermentations. I discerned, as it had come to be, that 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress... These are fermentations... This is the origination of fermentations... This is the cessation of fermentations... This is the way leading to the cessation of fermentations.' My heart, thus knowing, thus seeing, was released from the fermentation of sensuality, released from the fermentation of becoming, released from the fermentation of ignorance. With release, there was the knowledge, 'Released.' I discerned that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

"This was the third knowledge I attained in the third watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain."
    edited November 2009
    Just so everyone knows, the way I approach these sorts of issues in Buddhism goes as follows:

1. Establish what the sutras actually say to the best of our abilities
    2. Evaluate the certainty we have of whether these scriptures faithfully represent the original teachings.
    3. Determine the degree to which we can verify the claims of the sutras.
    4. Observe and consider how much each individual argument enables practice and how much it improves results
    5. Observe and consider how consistent our personal experience of practice is with the claims of the scriptures
    6. Leave aside issues that cannot be properly evaluated in favor of those that can and research matters further until you are able to better evaluate them.

There may be more steps that I personally use, but that is the basic idea.

P.S.-this is an open-ended process and I am constantly re-evaluating my position on this when new information is presented.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Passages such as these makes me hesitant to accept your translation of former lives as former dwellings.

I just want to be clear that it's not my translation or anything. Even those who hold the literal translation sometimes use that term. You can look it up if you'd like, that is in fact what it means. I don't refer to one translation soley, either--you can find various translations through Google beyond what's available on accesstoinsight.

But:
    P.S.-this is an open-ended process and I am constantly re-evaluating my position on this when new information is presented.

as I agree with this entirely, I am going to reference the Pali, discuss a few particular terms from this sutta with those well-versed in the language, and let you know tomorrow. Late here, so I'm off to bed for now. Good night~ :)
    edited November 2009
    I just want to be clear that it's not my translation or anything. Even those who hold the literal translation sometimes use that term. You can look it up if you'd like, that is in fact what it means. I don't refer to one translation soley, either--you can find various translations through Google beyond what's available on accesstoinsight.

But:

as I agree with this entirely, I am going to reference the Pali, discuss a few particular terms from this sutta with those well-versed in the language, and let you know tomorrow. Late here, so I'm off to bed for now. Good night~ :)

I know it's not 'your' translation, as in 'you wrote it.' I hope my language did not suggest that. But just because you've presented a translation where they render the pali into 'dwellings' rather than 'lives' does not properly explain away passages such as the ones I posted from MN 36 and the Brahmajala Sutta. If the translations you use do anything, they expand upon the meaning, not limit it. Many Pali and Sanskrit terms do not directly translate into English and so we seem multiple renderings that highlight different aspects of the original word. Dukkha can be translated as stress, pain, suffering, anxiety and perhaps other words as well. Also, somebody recently said that 'samsara' can be translated as circling, but based on subsequent searches on the term, I found that 'wandering-on' is considered a literal translation. I'm sure other examples of this exist, and the point is that just because we can render a translation one way it does not mean that alternative translations are invalid. Usually it just means that the original word has multiple nuances.

The way I see it is that there is not as much conflict in the multiple renderings as people make things out to be, but rather the teachings become richer and more full of implications than when we only use a single rendering. Also, when we analyze the original texts in their original languages, we can evaluate the extent that each translation is valuable based on the etymological breakdowns. We can also compare term usage between different contexts to get a fuller idea of the original terms. So, I will welcome your contribution tomorrow or whenever you have the time to post it, but don't expect me to take away the same conclusions as you.

_/\_
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited November 2009
    "Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you recollect your manifold past lives i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand births, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here'?"

"No, friend."

"So just now, friends, didn't you make that declaration without having attained any of these Dhammas?"

"We're released through discernment, friend Susima."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.070.than.html

Here the monks became enlightened through insight.
    Presumably the recollections of past lives are part of the Jhanic attainments which they didn't have. So until one has these jhanic abilities there can be no direct experience unless you consider experiences of past life regressions or spontaneous past life recall as valid.

The belief of literal rebirth does not seem to be a requirement for enlightenment. "It's true but you don't have to belief it" according to a Tibetan practitioner.

But

Surely here past lives do not refer to previous dwellings.
    edited November 2009
    This is the most informative online discussion of this issue that I've ever seen.
    'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus I remembered my manifold past lives in their modes & details.

It would be nice to know the range of meanings for the word translated as "clan," because that is the only aspect of these evolutions of personal identity which doesn't seem to fit perfectly with the shifts in Siddartha's life described elsewhere in the sutra.
  • edited November 2009
    Impermanence and the nature of the mind being beginningless + endless are 2 different things. Likewise the 12 links of dependent arising and dependent arising in general are 2 different topics.

People who don't understand or want to listen to the buddha's explanations of the mind can probably still make decent progress just by examining the momentary nature of external objects. If they ever get good enough at it and then change their object of focus to the mind itself they will quite quickly cognize their past lives - if their capacity to establish impermanence of for example touch or thoughts is truly great.

The problem is this type of person with such nihilistic tendencies is not likely to ever reach that level of concentration because they have no reason to.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Not1not2,

You asked for another translation: http://www.levityisland.com/buddhadust/www.buddhadust.org/ThePaliLine/The10thQuestion_1.htm
    He, overviews his witnessing of not just one but manifold prior habitations this way: now one birth, now two births, now three births, now four births, now five births, now ten births, now twenty births, now thirty births, now forty births, now fifty births, now one hundred births, now a thousand births, now ten thousand births, now a hundred thousand births, now many an age in the rolling out of the world, now many an age in the rolling back of the world, now many a rolling out and rolling back of the world.

In that there place such was the name, such was the town, such was the skin color, such was the food, such was the pleasure and pain experienced, and such was the way life came to an end. Shifting from that he reappeared there.

This is a translation coming from someone who sides with the literal interpretation, which is interesting.
    I know it's not 'your' translation, as in 'you wrote it.' I hope my language did not suggest that. But just because you've presented a translation where they render the pali into 'dwellings' rather than 'lives' does not properly explain away passages such as the ones I posted from MN 36 and the Brahmajala Sutta.

I'm saying, that is what it actually means, according to dictionaries. Please feel free to look this up yourself. The Pali term is pubbenivasa:

pubbe: former, earlier, prior
    Nivāsa: stopping, dwelling, resting-place, abode; living, sheltering

Translations of "past lives" seems to be taking liberties. But if you don't get too hung up on this, you'll realize that "past-dwellings" could theoretically extend to literal past lives as well, so there is no conflict here. :) However, this definition still has much more relevence to the Buddha's teachings, because it applies to any and all past clingings to the false "self." This provides a practical application for the teaching.

SN 22.79 suggests that when recalling past clingings to "self," whether in this life or seemingly in another, that what we recall are all within the khandhas and, as he explains, these are not "self."

It's very easy to say and understand that the "me" of past and future lives is not the same "me" as right now... the khandas of the past and future lives are not "me"... but what about the past and future khandas and birth of the false "I" within this life, and even in this very moment? That's the important message to take from this in my opinion, and what needs to be directly realized to make progress.
    This suggests that the buddha not only teaches rebirth, but that his direct knowledge of it was at the base of his realization.

Many people claim to be able to recall past lives, including those within Buddhism who take part in practices specifically for this purpose and yet, they are not Enlightened. The passage doesn't suggest that they were the base of his realization at all. SN 12.70 suggests that these things (such as recollection of past lives), in any sense, are not necessary to Awakening:
    "Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you recollect your manifold past lives (lit: previous homes), i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand births, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here'?"

"No, friend."

"So just now, friends, didn't you make that declaration without having attained any of these Dhammas?"

"We're released through discernment, friend Susima."

"I don't understand the detailed meaning of your brief statement. It would be good if you would speak in such a way that I would understand its detailed meaning."

"Whether or not you understand, friend Susima, we are still released through discernment."

And AN 9.44 explains what "released through discernment" means. This term comes from pannavimutti. Vimutti is synonymous with Nibbana.
    edited November 2009
    aaki wrote: »
    People who don't understand or want to listen to the buddha's explanations of the mind can probably still make decent progress just by examining the momentary nature of external objects. If they ever get good enough at it and then change their object of focus to the mind itself they will quite quickly cognize their past lives - if their capacity to establish impermanence of for example touch or thoughts is truly great.

Are you speaking from personal experience?
    edited November 2009
    Wow, Mundus, you're like stuka, without the vitriol. :)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Fivebells,
    It would be nice to know the range of meanings for the word translated as "clan," because that is the only aspect of these evolutions of personal identity which doesn't seem to fit perfectly with the shifts in Siddartha's life described elsewhere in the sutra.

I'm hoping DD will chime in. However I was talking to Stuka about that sentence specifically and he pointed out that in other passages the Buddha sometimes refers to others (Stuka noted that many times even hypothetical persons) as being "clansmen." He noted that "various ascetics and wanderers not of his group [are refered to] as "clansmen" as well." As a quick example, in MN 140, Pukkusati.

He said: "I think that this "clansmen" designation is a lot looser than is often represented in support of reincarnation-only positions, and also includes such things as gatherings of ascetics under this-or-that doctrine, tribes, occupational guilds, and such.. basically, "I was this-or-that such of person, I classified myself this or that way"."

The term in the scriptures here is (evam)gotta which I assume comes from gotto. There is apparently "no perfect English equivalent" and it seems to most often be translated as "clan." But, again, hopefully Dhamma can help out here.

Likewise what is translated as "name" (nama) seems to have the broader definition of appellation.

Edit -
    Wow, Mundus, you're like stuka

Haha no where near. :\ Stuka and others have been great teachers. Learn lots from them every day. :)
    without the vitriol

LOL I wasn't around here when Stuka was (i.e. before the ban), but I personally haven't noticed anything like that from him. xD
    edited November 2009
    Does he hang out online anywhere else, these days?
    edited November 2009
    Mundus,

Thanks for your response. The translation you provided still seems to indicate a literal teaching of rebirth here, so I'm not entirely sure where we're clashing on this issue. I stand by my previous statement that there may, on occasion, be multiple valid ways of rendering words in given contexts. Once again, I feel that this enriches our understanding of the sutras and I have no issue reflecting on multiple renderings.

Now, you make some good arguments in regard to discernment leading to release and I don't think I have a whole lot of basis to argue in those regards beyond what I've already said. While the section from MN 36 does indicate that the Buddha gained crucial insight by his direct perception of rebirth that led to his illumination, that does not necessarily mean that perception of rebirth will lead to liberation in every case. I imagine that regardless of how many lives one is capable of perceiving, liberation necessitates realization in regard to the causes of dukkha and the release of dukkha. Perhaps I've come across a little too strongly in my language about this and I hope this clarifies my stance.

take care
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Fivebells,

Yeah, he is. Were you trying to get in touch with him? PM me if you'd like. :)
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi,
    I personally am not sure what happens after death, but for the moment I just keep my self in now and try to lead a beneficial life.