Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taking Refuge

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I am ready to take refuge in the 3 Jewels, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Is it a solo ceremony where I just declare that I'm taking refuge, or is there a formal process?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    That is wonderful Reef, but why? Why do you want to take refuge?
  • edited November 2009
    I'm sure you can do it both ways. The thing about taking refuge is, even when you've had a ceremony, you still might not take refuge. The ceremony is a symbol of your commitment to taking refuge, but it doesn't guarantee that from that point forward, you are taking refuge.

You don't even need a ceremony, if you don't want one. If you want to take refuge, take refuge! Any sort of ceremony is simply a symbol. ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Why is a tough question to answer.

I would probably have to tell my somewhat lengthy story for it to make sense to you but suffice it to say that I am ready to acknwledge that Buddhism is my chosen path. It has been my chosen path for quite some time. I have not previously taken refuge because I was dealing with a personal tragedy and because I thought I needed to become a "super" Buddhist to take refuge, but I no longer think that.

I also previously chose not to take refuge because I feared I would fail and I respected the path too much to allow that possibility. Now, my perspective has changed. I don't think there is failure on this path. There is either progression, or the lack thereof, but no failure.

I have been on a Buddhist path toward enlightenment for a couple of years now, but I have no idea how long that path is and I don't care. It is a path I love and a path I trust. It is a way of life that I want to formally acknowledge.

Maybe it's an ego thing - me wanting to prove my dedication to me. :)

All the more the reason for me to follow the Buddha's teachings.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I also previously chose not to take refuge because I feared I would fail and I respected the path too much to allow that possibility.

The Path is about trying, therefore failing is impossible. No one upholds the precepts flawlessly.

Taking refuge is a personal commitment to the Dhamma. Therefore, you've already taken refuge. If you would like to have a formal ceremony, look for local Sanghas. The formal ceremony means nothing on its own, though.
  • edited November 2009
    Very nice. Not having a ceremony or formal refuge doesn't make you a worse Buddhist then the next person, the inverse is also true. However taking a formal refuge is a great opportunity to learn more about the temples in your area and meet fellow Buddhists. Also I wouldn't pass up the chance to have a formal teacher! Do a quick search for temples in your area, and come back her for advice on finding the right teacher/temple!
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Taking refuge is not something you do once, and then go on. It is something you do from moment to moment. Making a personal commitment to the path of Buddhism is admirable, but it is what you do afterward that really matters.
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you all.