Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What makes someone a nice person?

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Basically, what do people think makes someone a nice person?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Why do you ask?
  • edited November 2009
    I am interested because I would like to know what qualities make someone a nice person, because I know people who get judged for their actions, (example, a celebrity who one day everyone loves, but because they do something wrong they are no longer liked and then criticised).
    edited November 2009
    So you wish to avoid being judged for not being nice?
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Ah, the great illusion of the good person! How many times have we heard this? "I'm not perfect, but I try to be a good person." People get really twisted up by this need to be identified as "good" or "nice." The thing is, "good" is just a subjective measurement without meaning. Most people, especially in Western society, judge a "good" (or nice) person on the basis of established moral guidelines, usually deriving from religion (specifically, Christianity).

In reality, there are no "good" or "bad" people. They are just people, who sometimes behave in alignment with our expectations, and who sometimes don't.

Imagine looking down on a city full of people from a very high vantage point. Compare what you see to a forest full of monkeys. You'll notice much the same behavior. People may be intelligent and innovative, but our core motivations are no different from monkeys. We work to acquire food, water, and sex. We gather together into groups, and squabble over power and territory. We all basically want to live and be happy.

To define what is "good" we must agree upon a system of measurement. If we draw a line on a chalkboard, then place a dot on the line and label it "good"...what have we proven? Nothing. Let's say we add another dot somewhere to the left of the first and label it "bad." Now what do we know? We know we regard "bad" as less favorable than "good," but that's about it. It's all subjective.

Good and bad are illusions. When we join a society, we agree to certain rules delineating what is good and what is bad. It's just a game we play to organize our world and make things easier. Most of the time, it is useful and acceptable to conform to the rules of the game. Sometimes, it is not. Sometimes the rules run contrary to what we understand to be right, in a more universal sense. At those times, it is our prerogative to try to change the rules, or disregard them entirely. We do so, however, at risk of drawing scorn from those who continue to obey them.

There is no hard and fast definition for "nice." If you want to be a truly good person, then just be true to yourself. What others say and think is rarely worth taking to heart.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    A nice person takes care not to hurt others, either verbally or physically.
    edited November 2009
    That's not always possible, though.
    edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    Indeed. Sometimes being "nice" is the worst possible thing to do to a person. It takes a clear mind, and strong will, to rise above our own needs and do the right thing, even if it stings.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2009

Jinzang said a nice person takes care not to hurt others, not that they never manage to. So, I'd say it is always possible to take care.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I am interested because I would like to know what qualities make someone a nice person, because I know people who get judged for their actions, (example, a celebrity who one day everyone loves, but because they do something wrong they are no longer liked and then criticised).

That is not a privilege of celebrities though. We are all subject to the judgment of others, and it seems to be the "it" thing debunking other people these days. You must be aware that whatever it is that a person thinks of you is just a partial view of reality, and you can't really expect it to correspond to what you want to hear, because you cannot control it. The more you try to "argue" with things you can't control, the more power they get over you, it is just another form of clinging. You just have to learn to let it go and relax. You are not what people think of you, neither for good or for worse.
  • edited November 2009
    Pink,

I read some time back that one of the strongest drives in human beings is to belong. This has more to do with survival, I am afraid, than our genuine good hearts. So, we are taught right from the get go, at mother’s knee, to be considerate of other people’s feelings. Mom says, “Be nice.”

Unfortunately, the whole process of belonging, most of the time, is set up in such a way that there are the ins and the outs. We all knew in school who was a popular kid, and if we were one of them.

So, belonging almost begs that there be some outsiders, in order to confirm that you actually belong. Are you beginning to see how much of this is just pretend?

Integrity, on the other hand starts by listening to your own heart's wisdom, and living from there. Be true to yourself.

S9
    edited November 2009
    Great points, above.

In regard to celebrities, I feel with fame (or notoriety) comes a certain responsibility. We all affect those we come into contact with, for better or worse. This is fact is multiplied many fold when you are in the public eye. I am mindful that if I allow myself to indulge in negative behavior, this will be picked up on by those whose lives I touch. When I fail to live up to my potential, I fail not only myself, but all those I influence, as well. Of course, we are all human and have our own challenges to overcome, but to the extent that is possible, I always try to maintain a positive, dignified public image. Obviously, many celebrities do not share this viewpoint, but I can think of many who do, also.

No matter who you are, if you are in the public eye you will have detractors. You need a rather thick skin to survive. From the Buddhist perspective, this means staying centered, open and awake. Show business is a land of make-believe and egos, and it can get confusing trying to "keep it real." It's all a game, after all. In the end, it doesn't matter what people are saying about you, as long as they are talking. :)
    edited November 2009
    not1not2 wrote: »
    Jinzang said a nice person takes care not to hurt others, not that they never manage to. So, I'd say it is always possible to take care.

No, sometimes you have no choice but to hurt others. Firing an employee comes to mind. Maybe sometimes you can do it painlessly, but that's rare.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Basically, what do people think makes someone a nice person?
    Buddha said:
    "These four, young householder, should be understood as warm-hearted friends:
    (1) he who is a helpmate,
    (2) he who is the same in happiness and sorrow,
    (3) he who gives good counsel,
    (4) he who sympathises.

(1) "In four ways, young householder, should a helpmate be understood as a warm-hearted friend:
    (i) he guards the heedless,
    (ii) he protects the wealth of the heedless,
    (iii) he becomes a refuge when you are in danger,
    (iv) when there are commitments he provides you with double the supply needed.

(2) "In four ways, young householder, should one who is the same in happiness and sorrow be understood as a warm-hearted friend:
    (i) he reveals his secrets,
    (ii) he conceals one's own secrets,
    (iii) in misfortune he does not forsake one,
    (iv) his life even he sacrifices for one's sake.

(3) "In four ways, young householder, should one who gives good counsel be understood as a warm-hearted friend:
    (i) he restrains one from doing evil,
    (ii) he encourages one to do good,
    (iii) he informs one of what is unknown to oneself,
    (iv) he points out the path to heaven.

(4) "In four ways, young householder, should one who sympathises be understood as a warm-hearted friend:
    (i) he does not rejoice in one's misfortune,
    (ii) he rejoices in one's prosperity,
    (iii) he restrains others speaking ill of oneself,
    (iv) he praises those who speak well of oneself."

Thus spoke the Exalted One. And when the Master had thus spoken, he spoke yet again:

The friend who is a helpmate,
    the friend in happiness and woe,
    the friend who gives good counsel,
    the friend who sympathises too —
    these four as friends the wise behold and cherish them
    devotedly as does a mother her own child.

Sigalovada Sutta
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2009
    No, sometimes you have no choice but to hurt others. Firing an employee comes to mind. Maybe sometimes you can do it painlessly, but that's rare.

Not to drag this argument out, but your assertion doesn't really negate what I was trying to say. You can't always avoid inflicting pain, but you take care (ie-try or intend) not to. This means that you can always be mindful of how you are affecting others and do your best not to cause additional, avoidable pain.

hope this better explains my position.
  • edited November 2009
    A nice person is someone who will
    KILL YOU,
    TEACH you,
    never ask you to repay them
    respond
    die for you.
    temper you in hot fire...
    follow 8 fold path correctly..
  • edited November 2009
    With regard to the Sigalovada-Sutta (quoted at post#14 above), it is interesting to know that the Buddha has given a complete teaching to a householder - without any direct reference to the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, and Nibbana. So it is possible for householders (lay practitioners) to practice without getting involved with all the heavy stuff like the Eightfold Path and advanced meditation techniques. Only a favourable rebirth (not Nibbana) is possible in this case. To achieve Nibbana, it seems, we need to go through the full Buddhist regimen, effectively being a monastic! Anyway, a favourable rebirth is a good start for lay practitioners ...

Just a thought.... no need for any response.