Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jainism & Buddhism

edited November 2009 in Faith & Religion
Does anyone here have any experence with Jainism? I have read a little about it but find there are some very big difference between the two religions.

Does anyone here practice Jainism in any way?

Do you have any experenc with Jainism you would like to share?

Comments

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I think it will be rare to find someone that practices it.
  • edited November 2009
    Jainism is really interesting.
    it comes from the shramana movement in ancient India that spawned Buddhism as well.
    There are still practicing Jain communities in India but I think you will have a hard time finding practicing Jain's in Florida.
    And you are correct, there are very big differences between Jainism and Buddhism.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The Jain religion is often described in the Pali scriptures.

For example, in Majjhima Nikaya 56, the Jains hold the most reprehensible action is bodily action whereas the Buddha held the most reprehensible action is mental action.

It holding to this distinction, the Buddha placed intention as the essential aspect of karma rather than the action per se.

:)
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited November 2009
    It should be noted that the Buddha of the Pali canon misrepresents (or, more accurately, greatly oversimplifies) Jainism, as he does many other rival philosophical systems. The Pali canon is actually a very interesting study of Aristotelian rhetoric. Someday, I shall write a book about this.