Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

tolerance

edited December 2009 in General Banter
I'm a Buddhist and my wife is a Catholic. We've been married for almost 4 years and have never had any arguments about our religious differences.
Last weekend my wife invited her church choir to our house for dinner. Towards the end of the night, the choir leader asked me for permission to pray. I allowed it because I wanted to honor my wife. So the short prayer session went underway during which my friend, who is a Buddhist, came to me and was very angry at me for allowing the prayer to happen. "How could you allow this?" he asked.
My question to you is was I wrong in allowing the Christian prayer to occur under my own roof? or was I simply living in harmony with others or being too soft and had no stance? what are your thoughts. What would you do if you were me?

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    To put it simply: you did the right thing.

Why was your friend offended?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I would proffer the suggestion that it is your friend who has the problem, not you....
    If they feel such animosity and resentment towards the celebration of another religion, then they are acting in a prejudiced and hostile manner....
    Things which as Buddhists we strive to control and eliminate, rather than harbour and cultivate.

I remember reading in Jim Pym's book, titled "You don't have to sit on the floor"..
    'If you hate, resent and despise something, you cling to it as hard and fast as if you loved it with all your heart'.

The obvious resentment your friend harbours is something I would take issue with, were I you.
    But in a nice way. :)
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    My question to you is was I wrong in allowing the Christian prayer to occur under my own roof? or was I simply living in harmony with others or being too soft and had no stance? what are your thoughts. What would you do if you were me?
    I think you might be a bit insecure, but don't be offended it is just an opinion. The whole "my wife vs. my friend" and concerning yourself whether or not you had no stance kind of shows it.

You said it yourself you were trying to honor your wife. That is a nice gesture. You did it because you wanted to honor her, that was your motivation, and not because you were too soft. Your friend might just have ruined a nice gesture by (unknowingly) playing on your insecurities, which leaves you feeling uneasy.

The question that might be popping in your head probably lies not in whether or not allowing a Christian prayer in your house is too much, but whether or not you were being too soft.

Part of living together with someone is to accept they will have different opinions and needs than yours. It is not only absolutely commendable what you did, but it is necessary not to block the other person's needs if you want to have a good life together.

How would you feel if you were a christian and someone (your wife, friend, or just about anybody) wouldn't allow you to pray? That would be a bit awful wouldn't it? What would you gain by not letting them pray? Nothing, maybe a little ego-trip that would turn into guilt pretty fast.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Have to side with your friend, here. If Christians are foolish enough to break bread with you, convert them to the Buddha, and burn them at the stake if they refuse. :)
  • edited November 2009
    To put it simply: you did the right thing.

Why was your friend offended?
    I think why my friend felt offended is because he believes a man is the head of his household therefore should base his decision on his own belief. I think my friend think I'm a betrayer of my Buddhist heritage though he didn't say it.
  • edited November 2009
    I think why my friend felt offended is because he believes a man is the head of his household therefore should base his decision on his own belief. I think my friend think I'm a betrayer of my Buddhist heritage though he didn't say it.

You certainly did not betray the buddhist path - you practiced it. By allowing your cristian friends to pray was an act of tolerance and generosity, whitch is very much in line with the buddha's teachings.

Cristian prayers are often made up of divotion, which is looking beyond yourself, appreciations and compassion - these are some very fine virtues which I think we as buddhists always have an obligation to support, no matter what religion they are practiced in.
    Even if the view is, that the man is the head of the houshold, it was still the right thing to do. Buddha tought to accept, not to reject :) You should rejoice in your virtue, and vow to keep doing such wonderful actions in the future _/l\_

Big Love

Allan :)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I think why my friend felt offended is because he believes a man is the head of his household therefore should base his decision on his own belief.

And you did. And you did something that most people, like your friend, can't do, because they're so attached to their own beliefs. :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Was I wrong in allowing the Christian prayer to occur under my own roof? or was I simply living in harmony with others or being too soft and had no stance? what are your thoughts. What would you do if you were me?

You did the right thing, the-unknown! The first rule to follow under your own roof is the duty of hospitality. Simply tolerating and respecting the heartfelt sentiments of guests is the bare minimum of your duty. Not even to mention the fantastic things that Fede, allanstevns, and o0Mundus-Vult-Decipi0o have pointed out.

My teacher used to say that tolerance is not enough, but that we need to revere the grounds of the beliefs of others, too.

That's my 2-cents worth.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, unknown.

welcome to the site. It's lovely to meet you.

I agree with everyone else. You did the right thing. Guests in your home should be made to feel as safe and welcomed as possible, even if neither your wife nor you share their religious beliefs. That's why manners and common courtesy are important and you exercised both when you welcomed their praying.

I wonder where your friend got such sexist views? The idea that the man, and not the woman, is the head of the household is very old fashioned and out of step with reality. Your wife has just as much right to be the head of her own household as you do, don't you think? Relegating one's wife to second class status in her own home is...well...I don't wish to be rude, but it's wrong. Unless for some reason your wife wishes to be ruled over by you, sharing the privileges and responsibilities of the household equally with her is the fair and reasonable way to do things in this day and age. A large part of a successful partnership is mutual respect, especially for each other's religious beliefs. You obviously know that already which is why you did what you did. So don't listen to that friend of yours because he clearly doesn't know how to treat guests or wives. You did just fine without his 'help'.
  • edited November 2009
    You did the right thing.

I can understand you wanted to honor your wife.
    If it was me, i would have let them do it, but i'd have left the room, but thats because i am incredibly stubborn, LOL
    You've done nothing wrong :)

Susie
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Tokyo_Rose wrote: »
    If it was me, i would have let them do it, but i'd have left the room, but thats because i am incredibly stubborn, LOL
    :)

I don't understand all these smiley faces. I hope you jest, because leaving the room would have been rude.

We have to let ideologies and dogmas go and be kind to our fellow human beings. I think that is best done by not showing disregard for what is important to others.

BTW, why did you choose "Tokyo Rose" as your user name? For us Americans old enough to care about WWII, that's kinda a little hard to get past. First impressions and all...

Just a hang-up I have, but I wouldn't hold that against you... But then, my stubborness isn't mean, it's just anal!!
  • edited November 2009
    Nirvana wrote: »
    We have to let ideologies and dogmas go and be kind to our fellow human beings. I think that is best done by not showing disregard for what is important to others.
    That is what i was saying, he was right to let them do it.
    What i said i would do, is basically not join in, because i dont see why i have to.
    I did say he was right to honor his wife.
    Nirvana wrote: »
    BTW, why did you choose "Tokyo Rose" as your user name? For us Americans old enough to care about WWII, that's kinda a little hard to get past. First impressions and all...
    I don't know what you are implying, but i haven't been nasty to anyone.
    I'm sure if you look at all my posts you will see i'm harmless.
    I don't intend to hurt or offend anyone.
    *smiles sweetly* :)
    Stay off my back
  • edited November 2009
    I think you did the right thing and I applaude you for the respect you showed for your wifes own beliefs.

It was a truly Buddhist thing to do. When I first began to explore Buddhism ,one of the things that appealed to me most was the acceptance and respect of other religions.

Surely nothing illustrates the Buddhist ethos more clearly than such acts of quiet compassion ?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    A friend of mine is a satanist...or so he thinks, and regularly prays, i aint got no problem with his choice to do what he does its his life his karma needless confrontation occurs when someone repremands him for his choice in deity.

Anyway i wondered of topic kudos for you respecting your wife's beleifs.