Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lam Rim Part 1

edited December 2009 in Philosophy
In response to another thread asking about starting a Lam Rim discussion I thought I would get it started here at the first section of Tsongkhapa's extraordinary text.

Part one: The Source of the Teachings.
Tsongkhapa attributes the teachings of the Lam Rim to the great Indian Kadampa master Atisha Dipamkara (982-1054). The entire Lam Rim is based upon Atisha's treatise, The Lamp for the Path so Tsongkhapa starts the text with the qualities of Atisha.

more to come.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    A. How Atisha took Birth in an Excellent Lineage

This portion of the text discusses Atisha's birth as a prince. The section itself offers little in the way of practice instruction but is historically interesting in that it offers the usually royal birth of great Buddhist masters who then go on to renounce their kingdom's in order to pursue enlightenment.
    I feel that these stories are often "karmic parables" more than anything else.
    Their instructive qualities are most certainly based upon highlighting the positive karma involved with a fortunate rebirth and the discipline and compassion necessary to leave such comforts behind and the wisdom needed to recognize their shortcomings.
  • edited November 2009
    B. How Atisha Acquired the Good Qualities in that Lifetime

This section discusses how Atisa came to receive the three sets of vows and the trainings of the Mahanaya tripitaka and the Vajrayana.
  • edited November 2009
    Hey Shenpen, thanks for starting the thread
  • edited November 2009
    kaya wrote: »
    Hey Shenpen, thanks for starting the thread
    you're welcome.
    the text gets more interesting soon. i thought if we were going to do this we should start at the very beginning though.
  • edited December 2009
    2. The Greatness of the Teaching
    A. The greatness of understanding that the teachings are free from contradiction
    B. The greatness of understanding that all scriptures are special instructions
    C. The greatness of easily understanding the Buddha's intent
    D. The greatness of ceasing misdeeds