Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fact-check

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hello everyone,

I am a Catholic Christian who is studying Buddhism for a World Religions course. In my textbook, I came across something that made me go "hmm...this doesn't make any sense to me." But rather than indulging in shouts of victory for having given the Definitive Refutation of Buddhism for All Ages, I remembered that the textbook certainly displayed inaccuracies (including doctrinal / philosophical ones) in the section on Christianity, and therefore there was no guarantee that it was 100% correct on Buddhism. So I decided to contact some actual Buddhists (you were listed first on Google -- it's as simple as that) to find out if you agree with the following, from Living Religions by Mary Pat Fisher, p. 141:
To remedy this situation [i.e. unhappiness], the Buddha taught awareness of dukkha, anitya (Pali: anicca, impermanence), and anatman (Pali: anatta). According to this revolutionary and unique doctrine, there is no separate, permanent, or immortal self; instead, a human being is an impermanent composite of interdependent physical, emotional, and cognitive components. Insight into anatman is spiritually valuable because it reduces attachment to one's mind, body, and selfish desires.
Do you agree that this is the Buddhist teaching?

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hello :)

What part specifically doesn't make sense to you? That is a very quick summary, so unless you're more familiar with the Buddha's teachings, I can see how it would be confusing. The Pali canon itself is immense, so a summary like that won't do it much justice. :lol:
  • edited November 2009
    Turgonian wrote: »
    to find out if you agree with the following, from Living Religions by Mary Pat Fisher, p. 141:
    To remedy this situation [i.e. unhappiness], the Buddha taught awareness of dukkha, anitya (Pali: anicca, impermanence), and anatman (Pali: anatta). According to this revolutionary and unique doctrine, there is no separate, permanent, or immortal self; instead, a human being is an impermanent composite of interdependent physical, emotional, and cognitive components. Insight into anatman is spiritually valuable because it reduces attachment to one's mind, body, and selfish desires.
    Do you agree that this is the Buddhist teaching?
    Yes, within the right context.

Now you're going to say either (a) what takes rebirth if there is no self or (b) if there is no real self as a foundation how do you continue moment to moment, right? Something like that?

That's why, although the quote is pretty good, it does need a slight adjustment or commentary. There is no independent self which is separate to the mental and physical parts of a person. There is no permanent (unchanging) self, because persons depend on causes and conditions. And there is no immortal self, because the death of a person is activated by the very production of the person.
  • edited November 2009
    Good point. Well, I can explain. The main point of anatman seems to be that there is no unifying principle to man -- "no separate, permanent, or immortal self"; rather, man is to be understood as a continual flux in which nothing is stable. He is just the sum of the parts, all the parts change, and there is no part which unifies all the parts (the "self").

So then, when the text says that anatman "reduces attachment to one's mind, body, and selfish desires", I naturally ask, "whose attachment exactly?" What is this "one" to which the mind, body, and selfish desires belong?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    ...rather than indulging in shouts of victory for having given the Definitive Refutation of Buddhism for All Ages...
    Go ahead and indulge! Beat us up! Tell us why we're wrong!
  • edited November 2009
    Aaki -- I hadn't seen your post yet. You made a fairly good guess as to what I was going to say, but I was not going to go into rebirth (which doesn't seem to be a universal Buddhist teaching at any rate). Also the question "How do you continue from moment to moment?" would be better rephrased "What is the 'you' that continues from moment to moment?" But that is a slightly different way of looking at my real question -- whose attachment is it that gets reduced?

It cannot be the mind's attachment, because it makes little sense to speak of the mind's attachment to the mind. The mind is the mind.

Fivebells -- :D
  • edited November 2009
    It cannot be the mind's attachment, because it makes little sense to speak of the mind's attachment to the mind. The mind is the mind.
    Sort of. Things like 'love', 'the number 5', or 'the habit of eating at 1 oclock' are neither physical nor mental (awareness), they are abstractions cognized by the mind.

This is a very interesting topic to study and is comprehensively explained. In the end we can say ignorance is just such an abstraction and it continually afflicts the mind. There is not a moment we don't have it.

ps. within the study of abstractions we learn about what persons actually are. I don't want to say precisely that persons, that "I", am an abstraction, because this needs much further explanation without which there is confusion. Also, the lack of a self that is unchanging, immortal, independent, etc is just the simplest school's idea of anatman. There are much much cooler versions which build on this idea, such as for example the lack of a self-sufficient substantial self to persons.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited November 2009
    whose attachment is it that gets reduced?
    Exactly.
    It cannot be the mind's attachment, because it makes little sense to speak of the mind's attachment to the mind. The mind _is_ the mind.
    Actually, it does make sense. Forming an attachment to something means creating a concept of something, and then adding to the concept the attribute of "mine". I have no real physical attachment to my computer, but I have a concept of a computer, and part of that concept is that the computer is mine.

When I think of the mind, I'm not creating a second mind. I'm creating a concept. Forming an attachment to that concept of mind is as simple as changing the concept from "mind" to "my mind".

Attachment actually seems to be more of a process than an attribute. Our attachments to various things seem to change with context. So one could say that attachment can be triggered by any concept the mind can generate, given the right context.
    edited November 2009
    Turgonian, the "who" is a fabrication which seems real most of the time. This can only be properly understood experientially, in the context of meditation, but the theoretical explanation comes from dependent origination.
  • edited November 2009
    aaki wrote:
    Also, the lack of a self that is unchanging, immortal, independent, etc is just the simplest school's idea of anatman. There are much much cooler versions which build on this idea, such as for example the lack of a self-sufficient substantial self to persons.
    I can go along with that. The self is not self-sufficient. Also, one cannot say that it is unchanging.
    RenGalskap wrote:
    When I think of the mind, I'm not creating a second mind. I'm creating a concept. Forming an attachment to that concept of mind is as simple as changing the concept from "mind" to "my mind".
    OK, fair enough. So it's the mind's attachment to a concept, then -- but not the real mind's attachment to the real mind.

Would the attachment to concepts include such a thing as "my ideas"? In that case, why should you favour your Buddhist ideas over my Catholic ideas?
    fivebells wrote:
    Turgonian, the "who" is a fabrication which seems real most of the time.
    But then where does the attachment come from? If the mind is cleansed of the attachment to concepts and sensory things, what's left? I would say a clean mind is left.
    edited November 2009
    Would the attachment to concepts include such a thing as "my ideas"? In that case, why should you favour your Buddhist ideas over my Catholic ideas?

You shouldn't. Buddhist practice leads to an end to beliefs.
    But then where does the attachment come from? If the mind is cleansed of the attachment to concepts and sensory things, what's left? I would say a clean mind is left.

Where it comes from is not our concern. But yes, ideally there is nothing left but awareness. That's the point.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2009

I suggest checking out this post.
  • edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote:
    You shouldn't. Buddhist practice leads to an end to beliefs.
    But doesn't this forum have the purpose of clarifying Buddhist beliefs?
    fivebells wrote:
    But yes, ideally there is nothing left but awareness.
    Is that another process, or is it an unchanging state? I don't know if it matters much, but I'm curious.

Jason -- That helped, thanks.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Buddhists don't tend to preach, nobody is asking you to favor our ideas. All ideas of the Buddha are like a raft that leads to what he called enlightenment, but you don't have to necessarily walk on his shadow to reach the same place anyways.

As for clinging or attachment it is purely useless to conjecture that "self" must be destroyed or ideas of "I" and "mine". This will lead you nowhere. Let's say you eat when you feel anxious and that is a habit, this is you clinging to food. That is all there is to it, as far as clinging goes. The process of clinging is the same for food and for self, but reflecting on food gets you somewhere, because you are tackling a more visible, easier to approach problem and DOING something about what causes you suffering, whereas just going 'oh, my Self is getting in the way of enlightenment' is quite useless.

Dealing with such abstract concepts in detriment to the problems of everyday life is like worrying about how painful a snake bite would be when there is a thousand scorpions stinging you right now.
    where does the attachment come from? If the mind is cleansed of the attachment to concepts and sensory things, what's left?
    I would like to quote Hannibal Lecter on this one ;^P (I was SO waiting for the opportunity to throw this in a buddhist forum ahahahaha):

"Hannibal Lecter: And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet? Make an effort to answer now.
    Clarice Starling: No. We just...
    Hannibal Lecter: No. We begin by coveting what we see every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? And don't your eyes seek out the things you want?"

When you don't attach to something it stops worrying you and causing you suffering. That is it.
  • edited November 2009
    The process of clinging is the same for food and for self, but reflecting on food gets you somewhere, because you are tackling a more visible, easier to approach problem and DOING something about what causes you suffering, whereas just going 'oh, my Self is getting in the way of enlightenment' is quite useless.
    The reason there is clinging to food is because you want to feel happy. This "you want to feel happy" is afflicted by a basic misconception of you as being a self.

If someone ever realizes the lack of a self to the person they will directly cognize the truth of the end of suffering, amongst other things. And it is not merely the absence of a gross type of attachment such as the attachment to food.
    edited November 2009
    But doesn't this forum have the purpose of clarifying Buddhist beliefs?

I don't know what the purpose of this forum is. You'd have to ask the owners. That is not my purpose, here.
    Is that another process, or is it an unchanging state? I don't know if it matters much, but I'm curious..

How curious? To fully understand the answer to that, you have to understand the absolute and relative perspectives. (Which I think are explained in that essay I linked to.)
    edited November 2009
    Turgonian, most of this thread hasn't been specifically Buddhist. For the most part, everyone's been rehashing something that European philosophers have been arguing about for around three hundred years. If you are serious about exploring questions about mind, you're going to need to do some serious reading in philosophy. You're not going to disprove anything and we're not going to prove anything in a single thread on a Buddhist discussion forum.

In regard to one of the Buddhist issues: The Buddha taught that Buddhism is like a raft that you use to get to the other side of a river. Once you've crossed the river, you don't carry the raft around with you everywhere. You leave by the side of the river and go on your way. The goal of Buddhism is the end of duhkha. Once that goal is achieved, you don't need Buddhism.

In regard to awareness: How would you know whether awareness changes or not? If it comes to an end, you won't be aware of it. If it doesn't come to an end, all that you know is that it hasn't ended so far. You haven't proven that it won't end some time in the future. If you want to know whether awareness changes or not, you'll have to propose a test that would allow us to find out.

And finally, the Buddha said that certain questions did not lead to the end of duhkha, and he refused to answer them. There are many questions that Buddhism, take as a whole, doesn't try to answer. You may get answers from specific Buddhists or specific schools of Buddhism, but those answers are not _the_ Buddhist answer. We have the four truths, the eight-fold path, and a few other teachings. Beyond that, it's all opinion and expedient means.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The following article by Lama Thubten Yeshe is one of the best I've read on the idea of self-less-ness. It brings it out of the 3rd person perspective and into the 1st person for me. Anyway, here's the link and a bit of an excerpt:
    It’s essential to dissolve the normal ego projection of the physical nervous system body; to absorb the image that our conception of ego instinctively feels—that I’m somewhere around here; Thubten Yeshe is somewhere here. Where is Thubten Yeshe? My ego’s instinctive interpretation is that I’m here, somewhere in my body. Check for yourself. See what comes up in your mind when you think of your name. The huge mountain of your self will arise. Then check exactly where that mountain of “me” can be found. Where are you? Somewhere around your body. Are you in your chest, in your head?

You feel this instinctively. You don’t have to study philosophy to learn it; you don’t have to go to school; you parents didn’t teach you. You’ve known this since before you were born. Buddhism describes two kinds of ego identity: kun-tag and lhen-kye. The one I’m talking about is lhen-kye, the simultaneously born one; the one that exists simply because you exist. It was born with you; it needs no outside influence for its existence. Like the smell that comes with a pine tree, they’re one. The pine tree doesn’t grow first and then the smell comes later. They come together. It’s the same with the innate sense of ego; it comes at conception.

Kun-tag means the sense of self that’s philosophically acquired. It’s something that you learn through outside influence from teachers, friends, books and so forth. This is the intellectually derived ego. Can you imagine? You can even acquire an ego through reading. This one is easier to remove, of course, because it’s more superficial. It’s a gross conception. The simultaneously born sense of self is much, much harder to get rid of.

This instinctive conception of ego is really convinced that around my body is where you’ll find Thubten Yeshe. Someone looks at me and asks, “Are you Thubten Yeshe?” “Yes,” I reply, “I’m Thubten Yeshe.” Where is Thubten Yeshe? Around here. Instinctively, I feel I’m right here. But I’m not the only one who feels like this. Check up for yourself. It’s very interesting.

Until I was six years old, I was not Thubten Yeshe. That name was given to me when I became a monk at Sera Monastery. Before that time, nobody knew me as Thubten Yeshe. They thought I was Döndrub Dorje. The names Thubten Yeshe and Döndrub Dorje are different; different superstitions give different kinds of name. I feel my name is me, but actually, it isn’t. Neither the names Thubten Yeshe nor Döndrub Dorje are me. But the moment I was given the name Thubten Yeshe, Thubten Yeshe came into existence. Before I was given the name, he didn’t exist; nobody looked at me and thought, “There’s Thubten Yeshe.” I didn’t even think it myself. Thubten Yeshe did not exist.

But when one superstitious conception named this bubble, my body—“Your name is Thubten Yeshe"—my superstition took it: “Yes, Thubten Yeshe is me.” It’s an interdependent relationship. One superstition gives the name Thubten Yeshe to this bubble of relativity and my ego starts to feel that Thubten Yeshe really does exist somewhere in the area of my body.

The reality, however, is that Thubten Yeshe is merely the dry words applied to the bubble-like phenomenon of these five aggregates. These things come together and that’s it: Thubten Yeshe, the name on the bubble. It’s a very superficial view. The ego’s instinctive feeling that Thubten Yeshe exists somewhere around here is very superficial.

cont'd on link...
    http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=48

Anyway, hope some of you find it helpful.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I think it's important to remember that the Buddha's doctrine developed in the context of his contemporary Indian philosophical culture, then dominating by Brahmanism. The Brahmans believed in the atman - an eternal "spark" of divinity that animates the body and mind and continues to exist after death. This atman was characterized by three qualities: permanence, blissfulness and pure agency (control of itself). The Buddha directly countered this concept of Self. You can read his reasoning in the Anatta-Lakhana Sutta.

The Buddha did not teach that there was no self -- only that Self did not exist in the way Brahmanism had posited. Likewise, he did not teach that one's concept of self must be dismantled and, in fact, actually argued against these misguided applications of the doctrine of anatta as forms of annihiliationism.

Put another way: Self is not an illusion. Permanence is.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited November 2009
    We humans tend to think that we are special. We like to think that we are apart from and can control nature.

We can never be other than nature itself and as such subjected to its laws of impermanence. There is no permanent unchanging self to be found anywhere. What is born must die. Aging, sickness, death and separation is our lot.

Unlike plants and animals we are capable of intelligent thoughts and creativity, of love, kindness and compassion but also of the great cruelty and horrors.

We create stories, concepts etc and believe them to be true. Imagine what would happen if "Earth" was to be struck by a giant comet tomorrow.

What then is the meaning of life? No one has the answer but know only this: All is impermanent, unsatisfacory and not self. Nothing is to be clung to as me, mine or myself.
    edited November 2009
    Glow wrote: »
    The Buddha did not teach that there was no self -- only that Self did not exist in the way Brahmanism had posited.
    He didn't teach that either. What he actually said was that both "I have a self" and "I have no self" were wrong view.
    Glow wrote: »
    Put another way: Self is not an illusion.
    It would be more accurate to say "Self is irrelevant."
  • edited November 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    We have the four truths, the eight-fold path, and a few other teachings. Beyond that, it's all opinion and expedient means.

I like that answer. So I'm still in.