Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Perception of Repulsiveness in Nutriment

NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
edited November 2009 in Meditation
Perception of Repulsiveness in Nutriment is one of the 40 meditation objects in the Kammatthana. It is not explored very deeply, so I am amassing some information on it on this topic. Hopefully it will benefit someone :-) (I'll put in my own words, because the description is very arcaic where I found it :-\)
I. The only nutriments considered here are those eaten, drunk, chewed and tasted.

II. There are ten aspects in this meditation: going, seeking, using, secretion, receptacle, what is uncooked (undigested), what is cooked (digested), fruit, outflow and smearing. [the first two parts refer to a monk looking for food so it is kind of tough to imagine yourself afraid of wild elephants and with people telling you 'go away bald man!' so I adapted :P]

a) going: this refers to the act of searching, getting, buying food. Instead of listening to the Dhamma, instead of meditating, instead of working on your liberation, one is condemned to stop many times to search food, like a vulture in search of carcass. You follow a path in streets full of filth, dirty with the excrement of animals, and with all sorts of offensive odors coming from sewage or other things. Not only that, but you will have to suffer the dangers of muggers, rapists, murderers, and the vicissitudes of weather. [main point is danger and nasty experiences; it would refer to a monk going to the village];

b) seeking: you will have to seek food sources, tiring yourself, you will go to places where you will be served food cooked yesterday, rancid food, stale food [this here would refer to a monk looking for food in the village like a beggar, and being refused food, called names, and having to eat all sorts of crap and so on]

c) using: dipping your hand in the food, the sweat coming from your five fingers wets any crisp food and makes it sodden. When the food is put into your mouth, it gets pounded like a dogs dinner in a dogs mouth, while the spit smears it, the thick spit from the back of your mouth, and the filth of your teeth smear it. Now, withouth the original color and appearance, this mass is reduced to the appearance of a dogs vomit in a dogs mouth, yet it can still be swallowed because you can't see the dreadful thing it has become [ok now we are getting nasty]

d) secretion: the four types of secretion on the comentary I took this from are: bile, pus, blood, phlegm. When the food is eaten it gets mixed up with all types of secretion, as if smeared with rancid buttermilk, turning into a very disgusting, nasty mass [ewwww :(] that is now inside of you.

e) receptacle: when swalled by a ten year old, the food finds itself in a place like a cesspit unwashed for 10 years; if it is swalled by a 20 years old...unwashed by 20 years [and so on]

f) undigested (that is what uncooked means in this part): while the food is undigested it remains inside of you like in a cesspit, utterly fetid and loathsome., fermented by the heat of bodily heat, smothered by body secretions, covered in froth and bubbles. [the bubble part is from the source text, I don't know if I get bubbly when I eat lol]

g) digested (or cooked as in cooked by bodily fires): when it is completely cooked by bodily fires it doesnt turn into gold or silver [guess what it becomes :p]. It turns into excrement, like brown clay, and urine.

h) fruit: when "cooked" properly [ok digested ;\] it turns into bodily hair, teeth, nails and so on [ugly body parts]; when not digested properly, it can cause a lot of diseases [the text has smallpox, ringworms, and on and on, but I guess we can stay with high cholesterol, hiigh blood pressure, coming together to give you a heart attack or something like that].

i) outflow: in the first day one has pleasure to eat it; on the second day one tries to avoid its smell, with disgust and dismay towards the food so greedily ingested;

j) smearing: at the time of using the food, it smears the hands, the mouth, the teeth, and they become repulsive, having to be washed again and again to remove the smell. It smears the "passages" of the body by turning into excrement, urine, mucus, tartar and so on. The food smears the body and makes it dirty, and even if washed many times, it will aways return to an unclean nature.
dagg758

Comments

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited November 2009
    going: this refers to the act of searching, getting, buying food. Instead of listening to the Dhamma, instead of meditating, instead of working on your liberation, one is condemned to stop many times to search food, like a vulture in search of carcass

Hehe, Sounds familiar