Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism & Grief

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Good evening friends.

My wife passed away 4 weeks ago this afternoon after a well fought battle with cancer....she was 55.

I believe I am going through the grieving process in a healthy manner so this post isn't meant to alram anyone.

I would like a Buddhist perspective on grieving the loss of a loved one. I am far from enlightened and can't help but feel her loss because of my clinging and my attachment to the life we shared.

Are their any teachings that you know of that can help me view my loss from a lay Buddhist perspective?

I believe this is a time of profound growth for me on my Buddhist path - a gentle nudge in the right direction could be helpful. :)

Thank you.

Comments

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi sf,

Sorry about your loss. I would suggest you read Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.
    Lots of wisdom in it.

With Metta
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2009
    One of the most famous stories in buddhism about death and grieving is an account of a woman called Kisa Gotami who lost her child and could not bear the grief. I'm not sure how much it will apply to your personal situation, but here is a link to this story with the conclusion/moral of the story:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/btg/btg85.htm
    The Buddha said: "The life of mortals in this world is troubled and brief and combined with pain. For there is not any means by which those that have been born can avoid dying; after reaching old age there is death; of such a nature are living beings. As ripe fruits are early in danger of falling, so mortals when born are always in danger of death. As all earthen vessels made by the potter end in being broken, so is the life of mortals. Both young and adult, both those who are fools and those who are wise, all fall into the power of death; all are subject to death.

"Of those who, overcome by death, depart from life, a father cannot save his son, nor kinsmen their relations. Mark I while relatives are looking on and lamenting deeply, one by one mortals are carried off, like an ox that is led to the slaughter. So the world is afflicted with death and decay, therefore the wise do not grieve, knowing the terms of the world. In whatever manner people think a thing will come to pass, it is often different when it happens, and great is the disappointment; see, such are the terms of the world.

"Not from weeping nor from grieving will any one obtain peace of mind; on the contrary, his pain will be the greater and his body will suffer. He will make himself sick and pale, yet the dead are not saved by his lamentation. People pass away, and their fate after death will be according to their deeds. If a man live a hundred years, or even more, he will at last be separated from the company of his relatives, and leave the life of this world. He who seeks peace should draw out the arrow of lamentation, and complaint, and grief. He who has drawn out the arrow and has become composed will obtain peace of mind; he who has overcome all sorrow will become free from sorrow, and be blessed."

Now the idea isn't to be cold and indifferent so much, but rather to recognize the limitations of grieving. This is not meant to belittle one's honest emotions, but a call to be honest with yourself about the realities of them. A while back, I had some pretty negative things going on with my life and I started this thread in response:

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1975

Once again, I'm not sure if that will resonate with your situation, but it's worth mentioning. One thing you may find helpful here is to do some metta bhavana (and make sure you don't skip the part where you offer loving-kindness to yourself). Here is a link to a comprehensive guide on metta-bhavana and another to audio instructions:

http://www.buddhanet.net/metta.htm
    http://www.buddhanet.net/metta_vp.htm

Anyway, hope this is helpful.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Also, Thich Nhat Hanh had a great way of expressing how we can take care of our negative emotional states. This link is specifically about anger, but it applies to all negative emotions:

http://integral-options.blogspot.com/2009/10/shambhala-sun-thich-nhat-hanh-on.html
    Treating Anger with Tenderness

Mindfulness does not fight anger or despair. Mindfulness is there in order to recognize. To be mindful of something is to recognize that something is there in the present moment. Mindfulness is the capacity of being aware of what is going on in the present moment. "Breathing in, I know that anger has manifested in me; breathing out, I smile towards my anger." This is not an act of suppression or of fighting. It is an act of recognizing. Once we recognize our anger, we embrace it with a lot of awareness, a lot of tenderness.

When it is cold in your room, you turn on the heater, and the heater begins to send out waves of hot air. The cold air doesn't have to leave the room for the room to become warm. The cold air is embraced by the hot air and becomes warm—there's no fighting at all between them.

We practice taking care of our anger in the same way. Mindfulness recognizes anger, is aware of its presence, accepts and allows it to be there. Mindfulness is like a big brother who does not suppress his younger brother's suffering. He simply says, "Dear brother, I'm here for you." You take your younger brother in your arms and you comfort him. This is exactly our practice.

Imagine a mother getting angry with her baby and hitting him when he cries. That mother does not know that she and her baby are one. We are mothers of our anger and we have to help our baby, our anger, not fight and destroy it. Our anger is us and our compassion is also us. To meditate does not mean to fight. In Buddhism, the practice of meditation should be the practice of embracing and transforming, not of fighting.

He goes on in the next section about how we can use our negative states to progress along our paths:
    Using Anger, Using Suffering

To grow the tree of enlightenment, we must make good use of our afflictions, our suffering. It is like growing lotus flowers; we cannot grow a lotus on marble. We cannot grow a lotus without mud.

Practitioners of meditation do not discriminate against or reject their internal formations. We do not transform ourselves into a battle field, good fighting evil. We treat our afflictions, our anger, our jealousy with a lot of tenderness. When anger comes up in us, we should begin to practice mindful breathing right away: "Breathing in, I know that anger is in me. Breathing out, I am taking good care of my anger." We behave exactly like a mother: "Breathing in, I know that my child is crying. Breathing out, I will take good care of my child." This is the practice of compassion.

If you don't know how to treat yourself with compassion, how can you treat another person with compassion? When anger arises, continue to practice mindful breathing and mindful walking to generate the energy of mindfulness. Continue to embrace tenderly the energy of anger within you. Anger may continue to be there for sometime, but you are safe, because the Buddha is in you, helping you to take good care of your anger. The energy of mindfulness is the energy of the Buddha. When you practice mindful breathing and embrace your anger, you are under the protection of the Buddha. There is no doubt about it: the Buddha is embracing you and your anger with a lot of compassion.

Anyway, sorry about the length of these responses. They're just things that have helped me deal with the rough times in my life in a positive manner.

Best wishes
    _/\_
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited November 2009
    sierrareef wrote: »
    Good evening friends.

My wife passed away 4 weeks ago this afternoon after a well fought battle with cancer....she was 55.

I believe I am going through the grieving process in a healthy manner so this post isn't meant to alram anyone.

I would like a Buddhist perspective on grieving the loss of a loved one. I am far from enlightened and can't help but feel her loss because of my clinging and my attachment to the life we shared.

Are their any teachings that you know of that can help me view my loss from a lay Buddhist perspective?

I believe this is a time of profound growth for me on my Buddhist path - a gentle nudge in the right direction could be helpful. :)

Thank you.

My condolences sierrareef. I am sure this is a very trying time and it sounds like you have shared an exceptional life. To know how we may be of help, it sometimes helps to explore what you are saying to yourself about this loss. Can you give me an idea about what thoughts bring the most grief?

I don't mean to pry, but Buddhism is about truth and looking at the the thoughts we live with, can give some idea how best to help.

Namaste
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I'm sorry you're in pain, sierrareef. I'm going through something similar, though less intense, because I learned recently that my Mum has a particularly virulent form of breast cancer. (She just got out of surgery about five hours ago.) I'm working through the talks my teacher gave at a recent retreat titled Death: Friend or Foe.
  • edited November 2009
    Good evening friends.

My sincere condolences Sierrareef.
    I pray you both find peace

_/|\_

Susie
  • edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    (She just got out of surgery about five hours ago.)
    I'm so sorry Fivebells.
    I pray the operation went well.
    Be sure to let me know how she is.

_/|\_

Susie
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I would like a Buddhist perspective on grieving the loss of a loved one. I am far from enlightened and can't help but feel her loss because of my clinging and my attachment to the life we shared
    Dear friend,

Attachment is an interesting word. In Buddhism, the word is 'upadana', which means to 'carry a heavy burden'. It is probably a little different to the word in modern psychology, which means psychological connection between people.

The Buddha taught all conditioned things are impermanent, namely, subject to birth, aging, sickness & death. If our mind can penetrate & accept this reality, this does not mean we must battle with our love & the life we shared with another. To the contrary, we can cherish our love.

This is because attachment is not accepting loss (rather than the shared life between two human beings).

The Buddha offered the wisdom of impermanence, to manage the reality of loss. The Buddha also offered the cultivation of gratitude, to manage the love & appreciation in our heart.

In respect to parents, however applicable to all loved ones, the Buddha advised to make offerings & merit on their behalf after their deaths.

In respect to the universal human condition, the Buddha recommended Five Contemplations, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

Peace for you

DDhatu

:)
    "In five ways, young householder, a child should minister to his parents as the East:
    (i) Having supported me I shall support them,
    (ii) I shall do their duties,
    (iii) I shall keep the family tradition,
    (iv) I shall make myself worthy of my inheritance,
    (v) furthermore I shall offer gifts in honor of my departed relatives.

Sigalovada Sutta

Commentary: This is a sacred custom of the Aryans who never forgot the dead. This tradition is still faithfully observed by the Buddhists of Sri Lanka who make ceremonial offerings of alms to the monks on the eighth day, in the third month and on each anniversary of the demise of the parents. Merit of these good actions is offered to the departed after such ceremony. Moreover after every punna-kamma (good action), a Buddhist never fails to think of his parents and offer merit. Such is the loyalty and the gratitude shown to parents as advised by the Buddha.
    "There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

'I am subject to aging, have I gone beyond aging?'

'I am subject to illness, have I gone beyond illness?'

"'I am subject to death, have I gone beyond death?'

"'I will have to be separated from all that is loved and dear.'

"'I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for ill, to that I be the heir.'

These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

Upajjhatthana Sutta

The married life & aging of Nakulapita in the Samajivina & Nakulapita Suttas may also be worth reading.
  • edited November 2009
    The Buddha taught all conditioned things are impermanent, that they are all subject to birth, aging, sickness & death. If our mind can penetrate & accept this reality, this does not mean it must fight with our love & the life we shared with another.

This is because attachment is not accepting loss (rather than the shared feelings & life between two human beings).

The Buddha offered the wisdom of impermanence, to manage the reality of loss. The Buddha also offered the cultivation of gratitude, to manage the love & appreciation in our heart.
    I always struggled with understanding this.
    You've explained that a bit clearer for me than ive tried to read it before.
    Thank you
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you all for your words.

Not1not2, I'll be viewing your recommendations after work today. Thank you.

Allbuddhabound - I'll try to answer your question to the best of my ability. I have found 3 areas of grief that are particularly hard for me.

First, my sorrow for her. My image of her the last few days of her life, her body struggling to survive while she was lost mentally to us during her "comfort care" treatment. And my sorrow for her missing this life's further adventures - our retirements, watching our grandchildren grow.

Second, it's the lack of her physical presense - someone to wake up to, go to bed with and to come home to.

Finally, it's the ever-growing gap between her life and today. It is growing at a rapid rate and that gives me pain. My sister-in-law said it best when her mother passed - it feels inside like the world should stop and allow you to adjust, but it doesn't. Still, while your numb and trying to learn your new life, time blasts forward and drags you with it - opening the chasm between now and the time you had with your loved one.

I've been studying Buddhism for little more than 2 years. I feel I know the logic of the teachings but logic doesn't always calm the emotions.

Are there any teachers, or masters or advanced practioners who have experienced the loss of a wife, or of a child. If so, how did you work through your process?
  • edited November 2009
    Wow, your grasp of the situation is impressive to me. I have nothing further to offer on this topic but I just wanted to say that.
    I am very young and have never lost anyone truely close to me. I will always remember this though, and when it is my turn to drink from that cup I hope to be as prepared as you are.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Dear Sierrareef,

First of all, my deepest condolences. There are really no words. This is, for anyone who has not been there, unknown territory.

I can only share my own experience: my darling wife died 10 years ago, aged 45, of breast cancer. We had fought the disease for only three years. The pain will, I think, never fully go, although it does arise less often now and I have been blessed by another, understanding and loving marriage, just as she wanted - and as I felt, at the time, I would never want again.

I have no easy advice. Some things helped me: a wise anam cara (soul friend), a G.P. who reminded me that I was not to expect recovery for at least 2 years, a 9-year-old son to bring up and one book: A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis, where he chronicles his own journey through the same experience.

The only secret is to KBO, as Churchill said (Keep Buggering On). There will be pain, anger, denial, bargaining, depression - the whole package. Do not, I urge you, try to be "strong and silent". Experience what you experience because resisting or repressing will only make things worse: these are waves of the sea which wash over us.

In any way I can help, please P.M. me.

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I would also add that your loving relationship with your wife has not ended, only your direct communication with her. It is like a disconnected telephone conversation: your end of it can still be cherished.
  • edited November 2009
    Good evening friends.

Thank you.

Hi Sierra,
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
    Contemplating impermanence and interdependence may offer you some comfort and confidence in the nature of life, death and loss.
    Also, practice might help you with the process.
    There are many different practices you can do to help yourself and your wife.
    If you are interested let me know and I will give you a few examples.
  • edited November 2009
    I won't try to offer any further advice than what's already been given. I'd just like to give you my sympathy and good wishes, Sierrareef, and also to Fivebells.

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • edited November 2009
    Dear sierrareef,

What you are feeling right now, on the loss of your wife is a process that you can only pass through, over time. You cannot find any short cuts. But it does get easier with time.

I imagine right now that you feel like someone has cut out your heart without using any anesthesia to numb the pain. This is normal.

Don’t try to make sense of it. And do, when you feel up to it, share your feelings with someone close to you.

One thing that finally gave me some comfort, after losing my father/my best friend was that I began to see that I had not entirely lost him. He had become so much a part of who I was, that I was in a way, “me and him.” So in a way, he lived on in me.

I hope this helps a little bit, if not now, sometime soon.

You are not alone,
    S9
    edited November 2009
    Thank you.
  • edited November 2009
    If so, how did you work through your process?
    Death is an example of gross impermanence, it's a fact of life many of us learn the hard way. It gives a very effective yet temporary insight into renunciation, right. Even so, until we clearly understand subtle impermanence we will continue to suffer.

A good explanation is here: mp3 of Jeffrey Hopkins, PhD

Also, Dr Alexander Berzin has this to say:
    Thus, the first important insight from Vaibhashika regarding the phenomena that we experience in samsara is that they are made of tiny parts. The second concerns impermanence.

Situations that we encounter – whether pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral – appear to be permanent, in the sense of being static, unchanging. It is as if we enter a situation (such as feeling hurt because of being rejected by someone), take a photograph of it, and the picture of that frozen moment captured in the still photo is the actual situation. This is like an illusion. No situation exists in the impossible manner of a still photograph. Understanding this helps us to overcome suffering.

We can understand this illusion on two levels. The first is the illusion that the situation will last forever in the manner that appears in the still photo. When we refute that, we are still left with the still photo, and merely the understanding that some time in the future the situation will end. Until then, however, it seems as though the situation will remain basically the same. This too is like an illusion. Each moment, the situation is changing and drawing closer to its end. This is its subtle impermanence.

Moreover, the circumstance that heralds the final end of the situation, such as meeting someone else, appears to be the cause of the ending of the situation of feeling hurt. This, however, is also like an illusion. The actual cause for the end of the situation of feeling hurt is the fact that the situation arose in the first place; and its arising is due to a collection of many causes.

The last paragraph is particularly meaningful. Realizing that the destruction of a thing is caused by the simple fact that the thing was produced in the first place is an extraordinary insight. That's the main gist of Vaibhashika anatta/selflessness. It quickly dispels all unrealistic modes of thinking which cause much of our suffering.
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you all so much.

Fivebells - I hope your mother's surgery went well. The cancer journey can be a hard one but it can also bring many blessings. If I can be of service to you, caregiver to caregiver, I'm at your disposal.

Simonthepilgrim - Thank you for sharing.

shenpen nangwa - I would be interested in the practices you mention - please tell me more.

aaki - Thank you - I also found that last paragraph to be very powerful and very helpful.

Again, thank you all. You've given me many thoughts to ponder. I hope peace and happiness for you all.
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you all so much.

Fivebells - I hope your mother's surgery went well. The cancer journey can be a hard one but it can also bring many blessings. If I can be of service to you, caregiver to caregiver, I'm at your disposal.

Simonthepilgrim - Thank you for sharing.

shenpen nangwa - I would be interested in the practices you mention - please tell me more.

aaki - Thank you - I also found that last paragraph to be very powerful and very helpful.

Again, thank you all. You've given me many thoughts to ponder. I hope peace and happiness for you all.

Hi Sierra,
    A meditation practice that is often done for those who have passed away is the meditation and mantra of Buddha Amitabha.
    Here is a link for a short and inexpensive sadhana (prayer book) that includes the liturgy and mantra.
    http://www.namsebangdzo.com/Amitabha_Short_Sadhana_p/10136.htm

this practice can be done and at the end one dedicates it to all beings and in particular those who have passed away. it is of course beneficial for the individual doing the practice as well.
    edited November 2009
    Thanks, SierraReef.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Dear Sierra and Fivebells,

My heart goes out to you both. I'm sending my deepest wishes for strength, peace, and acceptance, during these times of great difficulty. May your suffering grow less and less every day.
    edited November 2009
    Thank you, Brigid.
  • edited November 2009
    Yes, thank you Brigid. :)
  • edited November 2009
    Sierra,

My condolences on your loss. I lost my mother to cancer a few years back, which is not quite the same, I know.

As far as dealing with loss and grief, Pema Chodron is my favorite teacher in this area (try "When Things Fall Apart" or "Start Where You Are"). I have learned a lot from her gentle and compassionate wisdom.

In my own experience, allowing myself to feel the pain, the loss, the grief, the absence, and all the other feelings that come with the death of someone we love is crucial to getting through the experience. The more we can open our hearts to the pain, the quicker the psyche can heal and regain its balance. Certainly, this is easier than it sounds. Breathing through the pain allows to feel it without becoming attached to it. If we can breathe through it, it will move through us without getting stuck.

You will get through this period of mourning, and you will still hold her your heart, no matter the time that passes.

One other thing that has helped me - when we can see the crises in our lives (and the loss of a loved one is one of the worst crises we will face in our lives) as an opportunity to learn more about ourselves, to grow and transform - in essence, to see this period in your life as one of transition and less as one of loss, though certainly it is loss - we develop the ability to see the pain as an experience, and not as who we are as human beings.

Again, my sincere hope is for your eventual peace of heart.

Bill
  • edited November 2009
    Dear sierrareef,
    My man, you are not alone. Many, no, all of us are touched at some time in our lives by profound grief. Your path is one of transformation now - as a survivor. Some think transformation means metamorphosis into some saintly form - I see it as learning to live, bear the awful pain and not let it drag you down or sweep you away. In Tibetan Buddhism death is respected as one of the most important moments in one's life. Tibetan Buddhists perform ritual prayers for the deceased every seven days after death up until the forty ninth day upon which a Jangwa Puja may be performed by a lama. It is a skillful tantric purification ritual associated with Medicine Buddha with the intention of assisting the deceased with transition to realms beyond life. And finally, Phowa ritual is done with the intention of transferring the consciousness of the deceased to a pure land. This explanation is paraphrased and you can get more detailed information easily on the internet. It is a beautiful ritual and a beautiful way to perform an act with the intention of helping the lost loved one even beyond this life. Annually, upon the death date, a lama can perform Mahaparita, a commemorative prayer for the deceased loved one. Another ritual and a way to stay connected in life. Zen temples perform these rituals also, so this is not limited to Tibetan Buddhists. These things I have done in memory of my beloved 21 year old son who died just twenty three months ago. As my wife and I approach the two year mark our grief has not subsided - but it is changing ever so slightly - softening around the edges. Grief rituals are important for we who survive. You have my sincere condolences for your loss.