Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The number of beings.

chrispchechrispche Southend on Sea, Essex, UK Explorer
edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
If the universe or the multiverse within the 6 realms is eternal and locked in an eternal cycle forever. Logic dictates that the is a finite number of beings and entities in this multiverse. They are being re-born continually. Except when someone attains Nirvana they are released from the cycle. So using logic eventually after eons and eons everyone is destined to be enlightened. Leading to there being no more beings in Samsara. Eventually there will be no one left. Or will there be, is there new cycles of birth starting from the beginning? Are there new entities, beings or persons whatever entering Samsara all the time? If so where are they created and where do they come from.

Why does logic always make religion confusing?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    The general consensus is that there will be a time when samsara is emptied.

Time, empty space, persons, and other such specific things are imputedly known phenomena and lack being self-standing substantial entities.

Understanding this establishes a new way to look at starting stopping and abiding, such as clearly cognizing the fact of beginninglessness and endlessness of certain things (most importantly our minds).

Buddhist logic is based on reasonings which use these realistic subjects and assertions to go about text after text systematically dismantling logic founded upon broken subjects and assertions.
  • edited November 2009
    chrispche wrote: »
    If the universe or the multiverse within the 6 realms is eternal and locked in an eternal cycle forever.

Here's a quote from the Malunkya-Sutta:

"So what is it that I have not explained? That the world is eternal, I have not explained. That the world is not eternal, I have not explained. ...
    And why have I not explained this? Because it is not relevant to the goal, it is not fundamental to the spiritual life, it does not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to peace, to direct knowledge, to full awakening, to nibbana. Therefore I have not explained this."

I am fairly new to Buddhism and having read the above sutta, I was under the impression the the subject of whether the world is eternal or not should be avoided by Buddhists as it is not essential to the Path. But it seems that my view is wrong. Could someone please give me some clarification on this.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    You're absolutely right, sukhita. These questions really come from mixing up the absolute and relative perspectives.
  • edited November 2009
    sukhita wrote: »
    But it seems that my view is wrong.
    Not really, just remember to take into account who the buddha is speaking to, what they were capable of understanding, etc. The buddha varied his instructions depending on the audience and if you don't take that into account you'll get confused with contradictory instructions.

The famous "unanswered questions" are an example of the audience being unripe and strongly grasping to self yet still asking all the right questions (ie. how should we understand the nature of persons). This forced the buddha to remain silent because no matter what he might have said he would have been wrong.

To answer the question, no, universes are not eternal. They start and eventually end, the process being without beginning and will never end as long as causes remain (namely karma).
  • chrispchechrispche Southend on Sea, Essex, UK Explorer
    edited November 2009
    It's interesting that you say that, Samsara will eventually empty. What then? I know this has nothing to do with the goal, but I can't help thinking about these things.
  • edited November 2009
    chrispche wrote: »
    It's interesting that you say that, Samsara will eventually empty. What then? I know this has nothing to do with the goal, but I can't help thinking about these things.

I've pondered the same thing in another way, I think. If the essence of our mind/spirit/non-self/etc. was never created and will never end then we must be eternal and eternally old (this essence/awareness). Why are we still in Samsara then and have not reached enlightenment?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Not really, just remember to take into account who the buddha is speaking to, what they were capable of understanding, etc. The buddha varied his instructions depending on the audience and if you don't take that into account you'll get confused with contradictory instructions.

Very true. :)
    The famous "unanswered questions" are an example of the audience being unripe and strongly grasping to self yet still asking all the right questions...

To answer the question, no.

The Buddha provided an answer in the suttas?
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The Buddha provided an answer in the suttas?

In the Samyutta Nikaya there is a section concerning specifically to these questions (Avyakata Samyutta). "Is the cosmos eternal? Is it not eternal? Is it finite? Is it infinite? Is the body the same as the soul? Is the body one thing and the soul another? Does the Tathagata exist after death? Does he not exist after death? Both? Neither?" All these questions were left unanswered, but the so called section explains the reasons why.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi Nameless,

I understand that. But my question to aaki is: if those are "the right questions to be asking," and the only reason he did not answer was because the audience was "unripe," then at some point in the Tipitaka he must come across a "ripe" audience whom he provided the answers to? Surely he at least said at some point that those are the right questions to be asking?
    edited November 2009
    I understand that. But my question to aaki is: if those are "the right questions to be asking," and the only reason he did not answer was because the audience was "unripe," then at some point in the Tipitaka he must come across a "ripe" audience whom he provided the answers to? Surely he at least said at some point that those are the right questions to be asking?

Well the Buddha refused to answer such questions to Ananda, and Sariputta never got a straight answer. How more ripe can you be? :p

The interpretation that aaki holds is not solely his. Specially when concerning the existence of a self many people say he just didn't answer that question because of the audience, but when he talked about his motivations he just said it was irrelevant, detrimental or it didn't apply.
  • edited November 2009
    Most of the buddhist systems accept things like the abhidharmakosha etc to be legit as well as the scriptures from which such things were summarized. If a person is a hardline Vaibhashika they will not accept it. However even within Vaibhashika there were many ancient schools who made differing assertions such as for example that persons are indeed definable and that the buddha explicitly did so.

So with that in mind, in the abhidharmkosha, it goes into great detail explaining how the universe starts, will end, what happens to living beings during that time, the variety of ways that planets are destroyed, various type of galaxies populated with the 6 type of beings, various cycles of time (kalpa), etcetc.
    Alphabet wrote:
    Why are we still in Samsara then and have not reached enlightenment?
    We haven't gotten rid of the habits of seeing things and interacting with them as if they possessed a self, particularly ourselves.
    Surely he at least said at some point that those are the right questions to be asking?
    Maybe not all of them, but the ones regarding the self+person are the whole point of buddhism.
    Well the Buddha refused to answer such questions to Ananda, and Sariputta never got a straight answer. How more ripe can you be?
    I don't know enough about sutra to say whether he did or did not specifically to those 2 people but the general topic of the debate would be that there are different types of arhats, plus bodhisattva arhats which we may or may not accept depending on whether we accept mahayana sutras. Actually most hardline Vaibhashikas would say that only a buddha can know the answers to most of those questions, so that's yet another reason why buddha remained silent/gave differing instructions/etc.
    edited November 2009
    So with that in mind, in the abhidharmkosha, it goes into great detail explaining how the universe starts, will end, what happens to living beings during that time, the variety of ways that planets are destroyed, various type of galaxies populated with the 6 type of beings, various cycles of time (kalpa), etcetc.
    The world may be destroyed by fire, water or wind. When it is destroyed by fire, all the world up to the 3 first-jhàna planes will be burnt out. After being destroyed seven times consecutively by fire, the world will be destroyed by water on the eighth time when all the world up to the 3 second-jhàna planes will be destroyed. After being destroyed in regular cycles 7 times by fire and one time by water, the world will be destroyed by wind on the 64th time when all the world up to the 3 third-jhàna planes will be destroyed.
    (This is from a book guys, not from a sutta)

Is this what you are talking about? He (the OP guy) is not talking about the cycles of destruction and emergence of world-systems, he was asking if everybody will get enlightened someday. The Abhidarmhakosa doesn't answer that, as far as I know, neither does it approach the emergence of completely new beings, from scratch. If it does please quote it here.
  • edited November 2009
    If the Buddha were to answer "yes" or 'no" to the question "Will everybody get enlightened someday?" then he will be drawn into accepting the validity of not only the question but also the terms in which the question was couched. Just look at the terms in which chrsipche couched the original question - no doubt at all - the Buddha would have remained silent. Well this is just my personal view ... I stand to be corrected.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Sukhita, I think you got this whole Dhamma thing in the bag. ;):) It's surprising to hear you're new to Buddhism.
  • edited November 2009
    I think you got this whole Dhamma thing in the bag.

I wish this were true... but wishing is also "clinging" ... so I'll just let it be. Up until 26 December 2008 I was an agnostic. On this day I get a birthday present, a book by His Holiness The Dalai Lama - "In My Own Words - An Introduction to My Teachings and Philosophy" - edited by Rajiv Mehrotra. Within a week of reading just this one book I decided to walk the Buddhist Path. Is this luck? Or chance perhaps? Nope... its kamma! Anyway, in the past eleven months, I have been able to get one foot on the Buddhist Path but the other one is still dangling in the ocean of samsara with Mara's army frantically tugging at it. I gotta put plenty more effort... Nothing is in the bag yet... except perhaps a whole lot of ignorance...

A big heartfelt thank you for the encouragement.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Humble Sukhita,

Your response proves Mundus right. Lol! Even though you're only 11 months into it I think it's pretty clear that you've found a perfect fit. I could go on and on but I don't want to cause you to struggle with your ego. :D

I'm very glad you're here. You've already taught me a few things.