Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhists and stem cell research

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I was in my ethics class today and there was a discussion of whether or not stem cell research is ethical. My question is this: Stem cell research obviously holds many potential advances to medicine and could save uncountable lives and make countless others better (healing paralysis, etc.) The off side of it is obviously abortion, which is the murder of a life that could potentially do wonders itself. I suppose I'm wondering what the proper stance on this issue is as well as others like it. What is the correct course of action when you could potentially save many, yet make irreversible decisions that could negatively effect others?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, stem cell research has advanced to the point where these cells can be extracted from other sources, not just embryos. This article talks about Canadians learning to convert regular skin cells to the embryonic stem cell state: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/science/article975588.ece

I think pursuing stem cell research, especially in light of the recent advances, is fantastic; extracting stem cells at the cost of a potential human's life....I dunno.

Luckily, that issue won't be an issue for much longer. Research is showing that there are other sources of stem cells, and that the destruction of an embryo is no longer necessary. Groovy. Go life! Go science!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2009
    First of all, if we're going to have a proper discussion about ethics, I don't think it's fair to say that stem cell research equates abortion/murder without at least presenting some well-reasoned arguments to support this position. That in itself is a very loaded statement which I don't think everyone here will necessarily agree on.
  • edited November 2009
    Jason wrote: »
    First of all, if we're going to have a proper discussion about ethics, I don't think it's fair to say that stem cell research equates abortion/murder without at least presenting some well-reasoned arguments to support this position. That in itself is a very loaded statement which I don't think everyone here will necessarily agree on.
    ^^^ Agrees with Jason

I think also, that the discussion will leave stem cell research and start on abortion. Abortion is a subject that everyone argues about bitterly :(
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I agree with Susie. We should tread carefully around this topic...
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Stem cell research =/= abortion. These are embryos, not fetuses, and are no more beings than my fingernail clippings are.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Actually, as Urizen pointed out, the connection is even more remote than that, because embryonic tissue is now completely unnecessary. (I'm thinking of starting a fertility clinic for gay people. Give me skin cells from two people — I don't care about their gender — and I will give you back a viable embryo containing chromosomes from those two people.)
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Actually, as Urizen pointed out, the connection is even more remote than that, because embryonic tissue is now completely unnecessary. (I'm thinking of starting a fertility clinic for gay people. Give me skin cells from two people — I don't care about their gender — and I will give you back a viable embryo containing chromosomes from those two people.)

Is that possible? It would be pretty cool if your infertile or even Gay or Lesbian having your very own blood related child!

I think it's great embryos don't get destroyed and people's lives get saved. I honestly think it's wrong to have an abortion. If you look at a little baby do you want to be the mother who could have killed it before it even was born. Or a toddler, a growing child, every human being, everything has the right to live.
    Sorry I just feel strongly about it, especially to think of people chucking a life literaly away and then there's the good kind people who want children who can't! It's very sad...

Joe
    <!-- / message -->
    edited November 2009
    So I understand. I haven't read the papers myself, yet.
  • SimplifySimplify Veteran
    edited November 2009
    It's still in the early stages. I've been in the biomedical research field ~7 years and every time I read a newspaper report about biology or medicine, it's misleading and inaccurate. Every time. It's like the Hollywood movies about Buddhism, they just don't get it.

But yes, theoretically it's possible to just use skin cells. Of course, theoretically there may be practical problems which make it unfeasible.

I guess the form of the question is, "Is it ok to do good through harm, and if so under what conditions?".
    edited November 2009
    So is it possible?
    If not will it be possible in the near future? I'm looking forward to a better world...
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    There are different kinds of stem cells. For example, there are embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells. Adult stem cells simply heal bones, heart muscles, cartileges, spinal disks, etc.

Regarding embryonic stem cells, these are made in a test tube. They have no sense of 'self' nor does the creator have a sense of self about them. Thus suffering does not occur.

Regarding embryonic stem cells, there will be ethical problems if one holds superstitious beliefs, such as an embryo has a soul or a floating rebirth consciousness in space has decided to make its home in those elements.

For example, in Buddhism there is the term 'gandabbha', which means 'scented stem', seed or sperm. But many superstitious & unlearned Buddhists say it is a rebirth consciousness.

In Buddhism, the question of ethics revolves around intention. This also applies to abortion. There is alot of personal karma & emotion around the issue of abortion. This is why it can lead to suffering.

But if I donate my sperm to a scientist who seeks to use that sperm for an important (and ethical) medical advancement, what is the issue? How wonderful would it be of my sperm was used to find a cure for some debilitating disease or condition.

Do we suffer from pangs of conscience everytime we masturbate, have a wet dream or menstruate?

Kind regards

:)
    edited November 2009
    (this comment no longer makes sense now that the above comment has been edited)
    We

Perhaps you mean "I"? There's a lot of Buddhists out there...

There are a lot of cans of worms that are close by here, but it seems to me the form of the question is 90% worm free.

I feel a drawn out debate about abstract facts coming on...
    edited November 2009
    Simplify wrote: »
    Perhaps you mean "I"? There's a lot of Buddhists out there...
    The issue here is your definition of "Buddhists".

In other words, you appear to have said all Buddhists have pangs of conscience when they masturbate, have a wet dream or menstruate.

The only abstractions so far appear to be what you have written.

The Buddha taught: "Karma is intention". There is nothing at all abstract here.

:o
    edited November 2009
    There are a lot of cans of worms that are close by here, but it seems to me the form of the question is 90% worm free
    In other words, are you saying you personally hold a fundamentalist view?

:rolleyesc
    edited November 2009
    Please don't argue:o
    edited November 2009
    It's still in the early stages. I've been in the biomedical research field ~7 years and every time I read a newspaper report about biology or medicine, it's misleading and inaccurate. Every time. It's like the Hollywood movies about Buddhism, they just don't get it.

But yes, theoretically it's possible to just use skin cells. Of course, theoretically there may be practical problems which make it unfeasible.

I guess the form of the question is, "Is it ok to do good through harm, and if so under what conditions?".
    I can see the matter is close to the bone with you. Possibly lacking objectivity.

Maybe, it is you who does not get it?

:buck:
    edited November 2009
    Stop!:mad:
    edited November 2009

Hi Simplify

There are a number of gaps, assumptions or abstractions in your post that require proper definition.

"Every time" and especially "harm".

edited November 2009
    The only issue here is your definition of "Buddhists".

In other words, you have said all Buddhists have pangs of conscience when the masturbate, have a wet dream or menstruate.

:o

No, not all, that's why I thought "I" made more sense. I'm sure there is a (self described) Buddhist out there that believes anything you might imagine.

There are a thousand ways to comprehend the death of a somatic cell, a germ cell, a blastocyst, an embryo, a baby, a child, an adult, an old person. A thousand ways to comprehend multiplied by eight categories = 8,000 discussions, each with a thousand tangents = 80,000 pieces of information. Perhaps an engineer or a mathematician could program a computer to give me the answer, but my guess is somewhere the boolean logic would encounter "no=yes" and self destruct. Perhaps without a self the computer would see reality clearly, but would it be able to communicate that to me?

btw the numbers are just an estimation, divide by zero and you might get the real number.
    edited November 2009
    Please say more.

:cool:
    edited November 2009
    Hi Simplify

There are a number of gaps, assumptions or abstractions in your post that require proper definition.

"Every time" and especially "harm".

It's not my intent to take over the op.
    edited November 2009
    There are a thousand ways to comprehend the death of a somatic cell, a germ cell, a blastocyst, an embryo, a baby, a child, an adult, an old person. A thousand ways to comprehend multiplied by eight categories = 8,000 discussions, each with a thousand tangents = 80,000 pieces of information. Perhaps an engineer or a mathematician could program a computer to give me the answer, but my guess is somewhere the boolean logic would encounter "no=yes" and self destruct. Perhaps without a self the computer would see reality clearly, but would it be able to communicate that to me?

btw the numbers are just an estimation, divide by zero and you might get the real number.
    What does this have to do with anything?

If a human being takes medicine or eats food, generally, there is death involved there.

Are not cancers cells? Is it unethical to remove them?

:buck:
    edited November 2009
    It's not my intent to take over the op.
    So what did your remark about 90% worm-free mean?

I may not understand your jargon but I gained the impression 90% worm-free means the matter is a cut and dry issue to you. Case closed. View settled. Nothing to discuss or debate.

:confused:
    edited November 2009
    I'm sorry, I guess the way I spoke was open to interpretation.

When I said that talking about the form would be 90% worm free, what I was trying to say is that talking about the form of something can be less emotional than a specific subject that fits the form, that one may feel strongly about. Yet I left 10% worm, because people still care about the form.
    edited November 2009
    Karpo22 wrote: »
    I suppose I'm wondering what the proper stance on this issue is as well as others like it.

It appears that no one has addressed the question yet. I am assuming, based on the posters title (Philosophizer) as well as the phrase "others like it", that Karpo22 is referring not just to the specific instance of stem cells but to a category of problem.

Although people may argue endlessly about specific instances of a type of problem, whether those instances fall under a particular class of problems, or whether those particular instances are in and of themselves 'good' or 'bad', is it not more on topic to argue endlessly about the general right way to address the category of problem? :)

I'm not a Buddhist and know little about Buddhism so am completely unqualified to answer the question.
    edited November 2009
    It appears that no one has addressed the question yet.

I'm not a Buddhist and know little about Buddhism so am completely unqualified to answer the question.
    Hi

I addressed the question. But because you are not a Buddhist and know little about Buddhist, you probably did not comprehend my answer.

The Buddha taught: "Karma is intention. Harm or non-harm depend on intention".

The Buddha taught four noble truths: "Suffering is attachment. The cause of suffering is (ignorant) craving. The end of suffering is the end of craving & attachment. There is a path to the end of suffering".

edited November 2009
    Karpo22 wrote: »
    What is the correct course of action when you could potentially save many, yet make irreversible decisions that could negatively effect others?
    Karpo22

What are the negative effects you are referring to?

Is it what you are referring to as "abortion" or is it the potential abuse of the medical technology?

Kind regards

edited November 2009
    I would prefer not to distract others with our gross inability to communicate with one another.
    edited November 2009
    There is always hope. Not all things are a lost cause. My impression is you could offer alot to this subject but instead choose not to.
    edited November 2009
    There are different kinds of stem cells. For example, there are embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells. Adult stem cells simply heal bones, heart muscles, cartileges, spinal disks, etc.

Regarding embryonic stem cells, these are made in a test tube. They have no sense of 'self' nor does the creator have a sense of self about them. Thus suffering does not occur.

Regarding embryonic stem cells, there will be ethical problems if one holds superstitious beliefs, such as an embryo has a soul or a floating rebirth consciousness in space has decided to make its home in those elements.

For example, in Buddhism there is the term 'gandabbha', which means 'scented stem', seed or sperm. But many superstitious & unlearned Buddhists say it is a rebirth consciousness.

In Buddhism, the question of ethics revolves around intention. This also applies to abortion. There is alot of personal karma & emotion around the issue of abortion. This is why it can lead to suffering.

But if I donate my sperm to a scientist who seeks to use that sperm for an important (and ethical) medical advancement, what is the issue? How wonderful would it be of my sperm was used to find a cure for some debilitating disease or condition.

Do we suffer from pangs of conscience everytime we masturbate, have a wet dream or menstruate?

Kind regards

There is no scientifc proof around rebirth and even though I believe in it, you can't possibly say when a soul reaches the person can you?
    Sperm does the almost impossible journey and in general (unless your an unidentical twin/triplet ext.) only one out of lots get there. There would be no point in a sperm having a soul. However when a baby starts growing there's a good chance It'll survive. And if have an abortion then, to something that's got a good chance, it's plain murder.:mad:
    You're just saying things for the sake of argument now, and you know it!
    edited November 2009
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    So is it possible?
    If not will it be possible in the near future? I'm looking forward to a better world...
    I don't know. I'm just a statistician who works in genetics, and got excited when my boss told me a mouse had been cloned using IPS cells. I haven't looked into it further than that. I was irresponsible of me to suggest otherwise. Sorry.
  • edited November 2009
    Women have abortions for many reasons. None i expect are through enjoyment exactly.
    Sometimes there 'appears' no way out, sometimes it just the best thing for something terrible.
    The only way i can see it as actual murder is when girls use it as a form of contraception, or just to get rid of a mistake.

Howerver, as i said at the beginning, the stem cell topic would rapidly turn into this,
    it will cause arguments forever as no-one will ever agree.

Its a bad tatse topic for this reason. Can't it be closed?
    edited November 2009
    Ok i'll just not answer this topic anymore, that would be the responcible choice before everyones falling out.:o
    edited November 2009
    I can see these kinds of questions from multiple perspectives, even contradictory perspectives. Because of this, I just see them as perspectives and have no big picture answer.

I bet most of the people reading this can see multiple contradictory perspectives as well, and I'll even give you and example.

1)A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are 5 people who have been tied to the track by the mad philosopher. Fortunately, you can flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch?

Most people will flip the switch on #1.

2)A brilliant transplant surgeon has five patients, each in need of a different organ, each of whom will die without that organ. Unfortunately, there are no organs available to perform any of these five transplant operations. A healthy young traveler, just passing through the city the doctor works in, comes in for a routine checkup. In the course of doing the checkup, the doctor discovers that his organs are compatible with all five of his dying patients. Suppose further that if the young man were to disappear, no one would suspect the doctor.

Most people don't think the doctor should kill the young man in #2, even though we are talking about the same number of lives saved and killed. This suggests that the answers are highly dependent on psychological factors. It doesn't seem right that these kinds of decisions should be made based on psychological factors.

As far as abortion I can see both perspectives. If I follow the linear thought process of a pro choicer, I can't help but agree. If I follow the linear thought process of a pro lifer, I can't help but agree. This suggests to me that there is a problem with using linear thought processes! :)

So while from moment to moment I might get caught up in having a belief, the only one that seems to have stuck is that I don't believe in belief. But then eventually you have to do something, make a decision. If I saw the suffering before me - the crying screaming grieving hopeless pain of thousands, I would have to guess and my guess would not be a light one.

To make it clearly evil to everyone, I think I would slowly dismember a small child if it meant alleviating the pain and misery of thousands more. I doubt I would ever know if it was right or good or bad.

btw, I should give wikipedia credit for the two ethical dilemma examples
  • edited November 2009
    To make it clearly evil to everyone, I think I would slowly dismember a small child if it meant alleviating the pain and misery of thousands more. I doubt I would ever know if it was right or good or bad. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

What a creepy idea - or is it meant to provoke a strong reaction ?

If you are a Buddhist and you did that, then you would be breaking the precept of not killing other beings. However you could, of course, give you own body for someone else to "slowly dismember" for the benefit of others instead ! :hair:

Rather like Jesus sacrificing himself to 'save' others maybe?

_/\_
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    And if have an abortion then, to something that's got a good chance, it's plain murder.:mad:
    You're just saying things for the sake of argument now, and you know it!

Define "good chance."

Women have abortions for an infinite number of reasons. But it's never a decision made lightly. It's rarely for selfish reasons. It has a huge impact on women for the rest of their lives. I don't agree with it as a form of birth control, but beyond that, I think it's a decision to be made between a woman and her doctor.

The issue isn't black and white. There's no need to tell women it's "plain murder." Most feel at least some sort of similar guilt at some point themselves. Again, it's not a decision made lightly, and it's very often a decision made out of concern for the baby, in various ways.

Dhamma Dhatu,
    In other words, you appear to have said all Buddhists have pangs of conscience when they masturbate, have a wet dream or menstruate.

To add to this, certain forms of birth control (i.e. the common Pill) work by preventing fertilized eggs from implanting. "Embryonic stem cells... are isolated from the inner cell mass of blastocysts." It is blastocysts that implant, before forming into an embryo. Yet most who are against stem cell research also advocate birth control. In other words, I agree with you.
    edited November 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    What a creepy idea - or is it meant to provoke a strong reaction ?

If you are a Buddhist and you did that, then you would be breaking the precept of not killing other beings. However you could, of course, give you own body for someone else to "slowly dismember" for the benefit of others instead ! :hair:

Rather like Jesus sacrificing himself to 'save' others maybe?

_/\_

I wanted it to be clear that my example was evil, to avoid any distracting conversation over whether it was evil or not.
  • edited November 2009
    I wanted it to be clear that my example was evil, to avoid any distracting conversation over whether it was evil or not.

....and so what was your point in using that example?.. doh, you've lost me I'm afraid.:buck:

edited November 2009
    Well I was saying that in reality when faced with a problem where I had to make a choice about whether to do something evil that would have extremely good consequences, I would probably choose to do it. (sorry, words like evil can be vague, but I don't know how to get around that. Bad, wrong, destructive are other words that would fit)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Dazzle,
    I think I would slowly dismember a small child if it meant alleviating the pain and misery of thousands more. I doubt I would ever know if it was right or good or bad.

If "slowly dismembering a small child" (yes, the entire description is important, to "avoid distracting conversation over whether it was evil or not" - only a small child, no other, not even yourself) would "alleviate the pain and misery of thousands," would you do it, or not? Directly kill one, to save thousands? Or let one live, and indirectly but knowingly kill thousands of others?

Of course, there's no "right" answer.
    edited November 2009
    I don't agree with it as a form of birth control

What do you mean, exactly? Strictly speaking, it is a form of birth control...
  • edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    What it means is, some girls dont bother using any other form of birth control. They just keep getting pregnant and then having abortions to get rid of it. Like an 'easy option' (or so they think at the time)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009

I mean, when people make no effort to prevent it, and have multiple abortions throughout their lifetime as a result of pure carelessness. But, then, what do we say? Three strikes and you're out or something? :P

Edit - Yes, what Tokyo said. :)
    edited November 2009
    Doesn't that kind of carelessness come from Dukka? So wouldn't the solution be the cessation of Dukka? :p