Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interdependence

emmakemmak Veteran
edited July 2005 in Buddhism Today
I have been thinking about interdependence. I have always gone out of my way to support local industry and make sure my food and other bought items are made locally and Australian owned. From a buddhist standpoint, I realised that I could relax a little and in purchasing imported items, look at it as supporting other places and interdependence.
We should not be biased in who we support.

Comments

• edited July 2005
    What do you see when you look out your window? Do you see your yard, your street, your city, your country, or the world?
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Nice. I like that. :)
  • edited July 2005
    I would encourage you, Emmak, to step away from your logical mind and consider Interdependence from different angles.

After all, who are you?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    BeautifulSpringtimeFist,

I'm not speaking for emmack here - I'm speaking for myself. I'm confused with some of your statements.

There are some people that ask a question about something because, like me, they are newbs. Emmak did this regarding how she had viewed the world so far.

Did you just answer something with this post? Cuz, if you did... it was way over my head. Are you using some Buddhist training you've had over your career? I feel like you've made a point regarding something very simple in Buddhism - and I'm just not understanding what you've said.

Michael
  • edited July 2005
    I think he was just taking the concept alittle further. Just as she started to not just view people as Australians and not Australians, that she should try and not have the view of me and not me. Thats the way I took it anyway.
    edited July 2005
    River wrote:
    I think he was just taking the concept alittle further. Just as she started to not just view people as Australians and not Australians, that she should try and not have the view of me and not me. Thats the way I took it anyway.

Hey River,

Oh.... I understand the concept - a way to push a students thinking sometimes to get them outside the constraints of their original questioning.

But sometimes when you ask your teacher, "How do you build a rocket?"
    Getting the answer of "How would YOU build a rocket?" doesn't get the student any further towards the knowledge of building a rocket.

Plus, what if the students starts off on a train of thinking that is just WAY out of whack! Giving a person some hints into thinking or teaching would (at least for me) be really beneficial.

Just so I don't start making my rocket out of two big buildings and the world BIGGEST rubberband...

Someone's gonna get hurt! :)

Michael
  • edited July 2005
    I agree answering a question with annother question can hurt more than help many times but in this instance Emmak didnt ask a question but rather shared an insight and BSF suggested a continuation of that thought process.
  • edited July 2005
    To quote Shuryu Suzuki

"In the mind of the beginner there are many possibilities - in the mind of the expert there are few."

So, in the sangha, I tend to not tell people things - I just try to encourage exploration/discussion. I guess that's why I don't post very often and then when I do - it doesn't seem to be 'advice', in the classical sense.

I don't mean to cause any confusion and I apologise for it.
    edited July 2005
    No need for an apology - you didn't do anything to offend. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk either.

Michael
  • edited July 2005
    Hello all,
    In answer to the interdependence question I think emmak is on the right path. i.e. small mind "I live on 321 Elm Street anywhere USA. Big mind "I live on the planet earth, I am not separate nor different from all sentient beings". If you look at a product to purchase maybe the question to ask is "what was the name of the person who worked to bring this to me?"

Next, Michael I think springtime was not answering a question with a question. Guiding someone to find/realize the answer for himself or herself is the only way any of us will ever come to true realization of the dharma. If someone gives you a direct answer will you question it? Will you actualize it into your being? WILL YOU BRING IT TO LIFE?

As I have stated before Buddhism does not tell you "this is what a rose smells like”. It points to the rose and says, "smell for yourself!

^gassho^

Mike