Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does your meditation look like?

edited November 2009 in Meditation
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is covered in a different thread. I'm pretty curious about what kind of meditations you do and how the way the different Buddhist schools teach translates to how the meditations look like.

As I'm following the Karma Kagyu lineage I usually have the same order/build-up in my meditation.
-Focussing on breathing
-Being thankful that the right circumstances are present to practice buddhism (four basic thoughts)
-Envisioning the Karmapa radiating light into you
-Transmission of the great seal
-Completion phase (understanding your consciousness is boundaryless)
-Activity phase (keeping the insight gained and wishing that all good impressions become boundaryless).

The above is a really short summary of the meditation which is usually about 30 minutes.

There are also other meditations I do which follow the same order. How does your meditation look like? I think what's central in the way I meditate is envisioning your own Buddha nature and trying to identify with it.

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I'm in the Karma Kagyu lineage, too. I open my heart to every aspect of experience, hold the question "what is experiencing this?" and rest in looking at nothing. Lately I've been mixing that with meditations on death and impermanence, like "everything changes, nothing stays the same," "I'm going to die," "I could die at any moment," etc. Usually I do 15 minutes of just resting, then 35 min of the death meditation, then 10 minutes of a "rebalancing" qigong exercise.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Fivebells,

your meditation sounds really nice. I haven't really done a meditation on a question, but can imagine that it's a pretty powerful meditation directly focussing on your own mind and analyzing it like that.

I've also got a shortened "taking refuge" meditation which I intend to follow where you take refuge in the Lama, Buddha, Dharma and the Sangha. It helps to clear up if you're willing to do the hard work and if the lineage is right for you (according to someone at my sangha).

I think I've read somewhere you're doing about two hours of meditation a day? I hope I get as committed as you someday, how did you get to your current level of practice? How many years did it take before that meditation habit became truly ingrained?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I do a lot of meditation. I hope you don't go through what I did in order to get so committed. I basically do because it would be more painful not to. I've been practicing for almost 9 years. Most of that time, I did an hour a day. It's really taken off in the last twelve months because there is some rapid transformation taking place.
  • edited November 2009
    relax man
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Usually my meditation starts with me nodding off. Then I get bored and look at my clock. Then my legs start hurting and I call it quits.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Meditation starts with (group) chanting, and prostrations. This is followed by Zazen Posture. keeping DEAD still is key, eyes open resting near the base of the facing wall . Full body awareness, internal external, subtle, and gross. With correct posture awareness becomes effortless...like simple space. practice: Non-obstruction.