Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Big Mind

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Today
Has anyone tried the Big Mind process formulated by Dennis Genpo Merzel Roshi? I read his Big Mind Big Heart book but just didn't get it. Maybe it's because I have no experience with voice dialog. I gather a facilitator is essential for the process to work properly.

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Thats something he is doing with Wilber, or with the Integral people isnt it?. I've met a couple of folks who took the workshops and said it was enough to awaken them, no practice needed. One fellow went on to lecture about it using "Big Mind" in his advertising until the Gempo Organization told him to stop using the term.

Not sure of the quality. its just an intro.
  • edited November 2009
    I would say proceed with care. From just a cursory perusal of the Wikipedia article it looks like a procedure to transfer money from your wallet to theirs in exchange for vapor ware. Sit and pay attention to your breath. It costs nothing except tremendous courage.
  • edited November 2009
    Brad Warner loves big mind. :lol:
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    He loves it the way I love my cat when he knocks something over. :)
  • edited November 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »

I want to bear Brad Warner's children!* He thinks like I think and talks like I talk and is therefore brilliant and witty:
    http://suicidegirls.com/news/culture/20504/

Money quote:
    "You cannot suck a piano into your nose through a straw and you cannot get Enlightened in an hour. Never. No way. No how. Fergeddaboudit! Enlightenment -- the very word makes me cringe at this point -- is a process that necessarily involves maturation over time. Just like a little kid can't become a grown-up in an hour no matter how hard she wishes for it, neither can you "have the experience of a Zen Master" before lunchtime. The very idea is patently absurd. It would be like someone telling you that you could develop biceps like Arnold in an afternoon or be able to shoot hoops against Michael Jordan after a day's b-ball lessons. It is not going to happen. Ever. To anyone. Under any circumstances. Period.

Buddhist practice is difficult and takes a lot of time, effort and energy. I know no one likes hearing that. But tough titty if you don't. There are no shortcuts. There are no easy ways to circumvent the pain and difficulty of practice any more than there are ways to develop Arny-style guns without working out for years. "

*except that I'm old enough to be his grandmother and happily married. Other than that, though . . .
  • edited November 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »

i dont think he has been fair in his attack of Genpo.
    personally, i wouldnt attend a Big Mind (tm) event but then again I wouldnt be going to any or Warners events either.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I live and work down the street from the Big Mind meditation center in Salt Lake. I have attended a few lectures and go for weekly meditations but I have never done his workship and I do not plan to anytime soon. It seems that a lot of people look into it for a quick fix but I haven't got that perception from the lectures I've attended.