Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A New School of Budhism

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
I was thinking tonight while driving at work and I was thinking that people like us are starting a whole new school of Buddhism. A school made of westerners. It is just a thought I had. Tell me what you all think.

Comments

• edited July 2005
    I agree. There are definite differences between the Buddhism styles of Westerners (in general) to other areas (in general). Western Buddhism is as much Western as Tibetan Buddhism is Tibetan, Japanese Buddhism is Japanese, Chinese Buddhism is Chinese, etc. I think looking at those differences is very interesting - especially since a lot of people take for granted that they have a culture unless they are a minority.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I agee too. I think westerners you chose the buddhist path put alot of thought and effort into this choice, and take it seriously. I think beacause generally westerners are not 'born' buddhist, they make a concious choice to practise buddhism.
  • edited July 2005
    Hi, have you heard of the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order? It's not universally respected but it comes pretty close to a Western school of buddhism. (www.fwbo.org/)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Agreed.
  • edited November 2010
    I looked up Friends of the Western Buddhist Order online, and there have been some scandals associated with it. This may be unrealistic, but it would be nice to have a scandal-free school of Buddhism.

Here's an interesting question: would the clergy be married or celibate? Eastern Orthodox clergy have both; those who serve the public are married, those who serve in monasteries are celibate. Would we need monasteries for a Western Buddhist order, or could clergy complete secular studies and get a degree? Lots of questions to consider.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I agree we are indeed in the birth pains of a Western Buddhism, but just the start. It has been interesting to watch the birth in action.

With Kwan Um Zen, the Chogye order of Korean Zen, is already known for a unique focus on the lay population of Buddhists instead of an isolated monastic retreat. They sent Master Seung Sahn to America, intentionally setting out to create a Westernized Zen school. To that effect, the founding Master taught and ordained Zen Masters from his Western students instead of importing Korean monks, and formed new rules and traditions centered around the lay population instead of the monastic life. It has taken many years, as you'd expect. While full time monks are still ordained, he created Bodhisattva Teachers who had families and jobs but still received transmission and the authority to teach in the school.

And, they're open to the new Masters starting their own schools of Zen, saying, "As more Zen Masters appear, their individual styles will emerge. Perhaps some of them will make their own schools. So maybe, slowly, this Korean style will disappear and be replaced by an American style or American styles. But the main line does not change."

Also, he likened the Western spread to when Buddhism spread to China and was transformed by Taoism, and is quoted: "Now it has come to the West, and what is already here? Christianity, Judaism, and so forth. When Zen 'gets married' to one of these traditions, a new style of Buddhism will appear. Perhaps there will be a woman Matriarch and all Dharma transmission will go only from woman to woman. Why not? So everyone, you must create American Buddhism."

I've always wondered, does anyone know of other schools of Buddhism that are trying to transform their customs and ceremonies instead of just putting a temple and practice in place that's exactly like the one in their own country?
  • edited November 2010
    Oh, i didn't really notice this forum was predominantly western-influenced...

Well, I'm an asian and i think our practice of Buddhism really differs largely across many cultures.

I've been to China, they conduct long distance trips over to pray, and some of the practitioners are involved in "worship" as well as "practicing all the teachings of the Buddha". Some recite mantras in chinese, for example.

I know in Japan, the culture of Buddhism just recently turned towards the original Buddhism, because it was extremely diverse just a few decades back. If i'm not wrong they integrate many gods with the concept of Buddhism itself.

In South Korea, while slowly Catholicism is taking a greater role in the younger Westernized population, it just remains a small 20% or so. Buddhism is still dominant around the area of South Korea, next to free-thinking.

Well, some of us have been to Tibet itself, or we pray at temples that are just around the neighborhood, receiving teachings etc. We celebrate/honour Vesak, Hungry Ghost festivals and more as well...

But i wouldn't think that the thought movement differs that much from that of the Western culture, only despite the fact that some thinkers may incorporate Christian ideas within the original teachings
    edited November 2010
    That's interesting. Could it be that Buddhism in other countries is also trying to adapt to a more educated lay population that wants to be more involved in the teachings?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Cinorjer, I like the idea of female clergy. I see no reason why there couldn't be both male and female clergy.
    edited November 2010
    Dakini wrote: »
    Cinorjer, I like the idea of female clergy. I see no reason why there couldn't be both male and female clergy.

I've never met the woman, but our current Zen Master Soeng Hyang (Barbara Rhodes) has some amazing Dharma talks stored on the Kwan Um website.

Zen Master Soeng Hyang (Barbara Rhodes) is the School Zen Master and Guiding Dharma Teacher of the Kwan Um School of Zen. She received dharma transmission from Zen Master Seung Sahn on October 10, 1992. She was one of Zen Master Seung Sahn's first American students and studied with him since 1972. She was given inka in 1977. A registered nurse since 1969, she works for Hospice Care of Rhode Island. She helped found Providence Zen Center, and lived there for seventeen years, serving in a number of administrative capacities. Zen Master Soeng Hyang has a daughter and lives with her partner, Mary, in Providence
  • edited November 2010
    There are already some Monerstaries that are offering Programs that are based very much in both very traditional Buddhism but put into a context that is benificial for those of us in the west.

Welcome to Kagyu Thubten Chöling

It is essential that the lineage of the teachings to remain unbroken so that their effictivness remains

Look at the Dharma Path Program section.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I looked up Friends of the Western Buddhist Order online, and there have been some scandals associated with it. This may be unrealistic, but it would be nice to have a scandal-free school of Buddhism.

Scandal-free (or should I say skandha free? heh) anything in samsara is a pipe dream
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Makes sense that at some point, a Buddhism distinctly American in style will develop. Many forms from around the globe have been imported, but if history has shown us anything it is that Buddhism becomes truly ingrained when it adapts, merging with and surpassing in adherents, a system of belief that already exists within a culture.

At least, that has been the trend so far. The situation with Buddhism in America may prove otherwise. It could be said, quite fairly I think, that America is the heart of indulgence in the world today... and therefore of dukkha as well. Nothing satisfies the American people for long, and the running-in-place lifestyle can wake one up to the discomfort of how futile all of it really is.

The primary influences on the US as far as Buddhism have been Zen and Vajrayana (Tibetan), at least that's my understanding. It may just be that America will be the birthplace of a form of Buddhism that is not married to Christianity/other, but formed out of the existing schools to create something "better", as no doubt American conceit would allow for nothing less than the best. Maybe a Buddhism merged with agnosticism rather than either Christianity or atheism; but distinctly American, with cultural accents that make Americans wary de-emphasized or excluded (hopefully not to remove anything essential; the new Masters would need to know wth they were doing!).

Who knows? I have great hope though. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Scandal-free (or should I say skandha free? heh) anything in samsara is a pipe dream

How sad. True, but sad.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Also, I think disassociating oneself from a certain branch/school just because of the actions of a select few practitioners is silly. You're not practicing to be like them, you're not supposed to follow them blindly.

This is why I think people leaving the Catholic church due to the priest scandals is sort of immature. I thought it was about god, not how nice the priest is.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I agree too.

There seem to have been scores and scores of Schools of Buddhism, many lost forever, some pretty new. There is no reason why new ones shouldn't emerge.

I guess the defining characteristics of "New Buddhists" is there is no defining characteristic!:)

Orthodoxies are sooooooo last millenium (and the one before that.... (and that...))

namaste
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Cinorjer, if you don't mind me asking, where is this interesting Zen community you're in?
    edited November 2010
    Main temple Rhode Island. http://www.kwanumzen.com/ has the information, and some great dharma talks to give folks a taste of the teaching.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Whatever form the new school takes, if there is a new school, I think there should be a clear policy of professional and ethical standards for teachers. The trend seems to be going this way in Buddhist sanghas in the West, with HHDL's blessing, though the process is still in the early stages.
  • edited November 2010
    Buddhism changed as it traveled. It started in India, when it went to Tibet it changed to fit Tibetans, they added their gods and superstitions. When it went to Japan, it changed and became Chen or Zen. When it went to China it mingled with Taoism and changed again. Now that it has come to the states, it will adapt itself to our culture. It always just keep adapting wherever it goes. This is its strength, and why eventually it will grow quickly and exponentially. It is not set in stone. It was never meant to be. Religions that refuse to adapt to their locals, we are finding, either die, or as in the case of Islam, feel itself at war with the culture it is residing in. So I revel in the adaptations Buddhism has made for the Western World. It had to happen.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Sometimes I talk to people who like to revise Shakespeare. Because they have a better idea.

"That's fine," I tell them. "You'll be qualified to do that when you've shown yourself to be a better playwright than the original one."

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Sometimes I talk to people who like to revise Shakespeare. Because they have a better idea.

"That's fine," I tell them. "You'll be qualified to do that when you've shown yourself to be a better playwright than the original one."

Agreed.
  • edited November 2010
    As a bachelors in English, Shakespeare needs revising. Most of his plays were revisions of earlier works, very little orginal stuff.
    Nothing is permanent, Buddha told us, everything is constantly changing. Foolish to fight it. It is the basic principle of annica. No change=no growth. No growth=death.
  • edited November 2010
    Wherever there are humans there will be scandals, even in Buddhism.
  • edited November 2010
    i say all of us here on newbuddhist come to Texas specifically for my convenience and we start the new school of Buddhism called either non scandalous Buddhism(lol lol lol lol) or the "Newbuddhist Tradition":)
  • edited November 2010
    Texas? I vote for somewhere on the West Coast; northern CA & points north (better climate). How do you think Texans would react to an influx of Buddhists...isn't that where "W" lives? I hear Austin is mellow, but...really hot much of the year.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    mr.alfred wrote: »
    As a bachelors in English, Shakespeare needs revising. Most of his plays were revisions of earlier works, very little orginal stuff.
    To be or to not really be, that is the dumbed-downed question! Whether 'twould be nobler to revise Shakespeare or suffer the slings and arrows of bad fortunes....

Or perhaps to point our guns against a backwater...

Would an American Buddhism, say, in the Bible Belt deemphasize samsara?

It seems to me that it would have to.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It may take much time but I think western Buddhism may emerge in a more secular, reasoned form. A Buddhism where the psychology is understood. I think the cultural trappings from other lands will certainly be less pronounced. I think monastacism will play an increasingly smaller role in my country (America). For myself I already practice a "cobbled together" sort of Buddhism with influences from Theravada, Vajrayana and Zen. Good thread, thank you for starting it.
    With Metta,
    Todd
  • edited November 2010
    What about this NKT school, that's related to Gelug, I think? I don't know much about it, but I've seen mention that it's more westernized somehow. Can anyone give a summary outline or evaluation of it (hopefully without getting into politics)?
  • edited November 2010
    compassion wrote: »
    Oh, i didn't really notice this forum was predominantly western-influenced...

Well, I'm an asian and i think our practice of Buddhism really differs largely across many cultures.

I've been to China, they conduct long distance trips over to pray, and some of the practitioners are involved in "worship" as well as "practicing all the teachings of the Buddha". Some recite mantras in chinese, for example.

I know in Japan, the culture of Buddhism just recently turned towards the original Buddhism, because it was extremely diverse just a few decades back. If i'm not wrong they integrate many gods with the concept of Buddhism itself.

In South Korea, while slowly Catholicism is taking a greater role in the younger Westernized population, it just remains a small 20% or so. Buddhism is still dominant around the area of South Korea, next to free-thinking.

Well, some of us have been to Tibet itself, or we pray at temples that are just around the neighborhood, receiving teachings etc. We celebrate/honour Vesak, Hungry Ghost festivals and more as well...

But i wouldn't think that the thought movement differs that much from that of the Western culture, only despite the fact that some thinkers may incorporate Christian ideas within the original teachings
    Compassion, it would be my hope that Christian ideas would not be transferred into Western Buddhism as well. Many of us come from Christian traditions, and the reason we left those traditions was to leave the mysticism and superstitions behind. I know that is why I did. But isn't Pure Land a lot like Christianity-the idea of a saviour who brings us salvation???
    Brandon, right next door to you in NM, but I gotta tell ya. I love Texas. Love Fort Worth, Houston, and even Amarillo. My daughter may be looking at work in Austin in about a year, and then Texas may become an option for us.
    But I have to say...a Buddhist in Texas...wow..talk about being outnumbered.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Mysticism at your local church, Mr.alfred? How unusual!

I'm jealous. I really am. You New Mexicans really know how to live!
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited November 2010
    This is a most interesting thread. Thanks comicallyinsane, your brand of madness is a blessing. From back around 1875 when Madame Blavatsky and Colonel Alcott (sounds like characters from Rocky and Bullwinkle or Sherlock Holmes...) founded the Theosophical Society (inspired by Indian and Tibetan adepts) and introduced Buddhism (or concepts thereof) to the U.S.A. there has been a steady stream of adherents of some sort such as Sokei-An, Alan Watts, D. T. Suzuki and Nyogen Senzaki in western Buddhism's beginnings. The peculiarly secular bent of Buddhism has been one (if not the only) of the biggest attractions for westerners jumping the Judeo-Christian ship of faith for the logic and reason surrounding dharmic laws of the universe. One thing that stands out is that the founding of western Buddhism began with tremendous misunderstanding due to nineteenth century translations of Buddhist philosophy as written by Indians (Brahmins) who were somewhat critical (even adversarial) towards Buddhism. Despite a somewhat confused beginning translations of Pali set westerners on the right path but this stumbling points to something unique about western Buddhism. Western thought processes (world view) cannot be likened to Asian thought processes. We have imported a philosophy that is inscrutable (to coin a colloquialism) and have jammed our round peg in to the square hole of thousands of years of tradition as we glance around the globe from our perch on a nation of a mere 229 years - all of which has been "in god we trust" (for better or worse). It is unfair to regard only America as the "west" but we are made up of all the nations of the west in our population. What we are lacking in all of the "western" school of Buddhism is a great leader. A saint. An interpreter of the dharma from our land(s). One fully enlightened westerner to establish pure western dharma. We are on the path and doing well (despite our insistance on internet sanghas) but we are still just shy of having our own Padmasambhava or Bodhidharma. Until then we are step children keen on binding our concepts of science and psychology to (Asian) Buddhist tradition. That's precisely why we can't decide finally if we're practicing a religion or a scientific philosophy. Keep your eyes peeled he or she is coming soon (soon could be 1000 years, you know)to an open heart near or inside you. If I don't see our guru this lifetime - there will be more to come - just need to remember to keep a sharp eye.....
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Woah, you're right. We do need one Western/American fully enlightened being, that can express the Dharma in terms that Americans would find easier to digest. It's always tough to take something from another culture and just plug it in to the US; ye olde USA, not so old as you say, is a rebel. Maybe that will be the answer to American Buddhism; it certainly wouldn't help for some unenlightened dabbler to try and Americanize the teachings, as they wouldn't actually know what's what and could distort them to the point of being ineffectual altogether. Brilliant, Iron Rabbit. You an American? DO IT! BE THE UNBORN! I'll back you, in spirit at least. :)
    edited November 2010
    conradcook wrote: »

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
    That's not really analogous. To be analogous Shakespeare would have need to have died and have all of his works passed on by word of mouth for hundreds of years. Then translated through many languages until finally written down. Then those plays would need to have been lost to time so all that remains are many versions of them, none of which can have any claim to being directly from the pen of the Bard.

Namaste
    edited November 2010
    That's not really analogous. To be analogous Shakespeare would have need to have died and have all of his works passed on by word of mouth for hundreds of years. Then translated through many languages until finally written down. Then those plays would need to have been lost to time so all that remains are many versions of them, none of which can have any claim to being directly from the pen of the Bard.

Actually, I think you're talking about the Gospels there. Shakespeare's plays were printed in his time, and therefore the textual problems are milder.

But to your point, it would seem that a tradition with more intact textual transmission would need less "revision."

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
    edited November 2010
    Actually, I think you're talking about the Gospels there. Shakespeare's plays were printed in his time, and therefore the textual problems are milder.

OK, I think you miss my point.

There is an immense multi-aspect discontinuity (language, lineage, culture, distance,medium, time...) between now and Buddha's teaching.

There are no such discontinuities between now and Shakespeare's writing.

Hence the anology isn't applicable.

This isn't just "nit picking", IMHO, it is of profound importance, because it shows there can be no claims of any authenticity about the direct teachings of the Buddha.

namaste
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I was thinking tonight while driving at work and I was thinking that people like us are starting a whole new school of Buddhism. A school made of westerners. It is just a thought I had. Tell me what you all think.

Is your heart different or not, comic?
    edited November 2010
    This isn't just "nit picking", IMHO, it is of profound importance, because it shows there can be no claims of any authenticity about the direct teachings of the Buddha.

I don't believe it does show that, but even if it did -- would that justify willfully introducing more misinformation into the teaching?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
    edited November 2010
    I don't believe it does show that

I would love to know how it doesn't... How is it you manage to ascertain any given Buddhist teaching is authentic as taught?

but even if it did -- would that justify willfully introducing more misinformation into the teaching?

I don't follow, what is the missinformation?

namaste
    edited November 2010
    I would love to know how it doesn't... How is it you manage to ascertain any given Buddhist teaching is authentic as taught?

Because it leads to enlightenment.
    I don't follow, what is the missinformation?

In my opinion, to set out to create a 'new school of Buddhism' shows up the desire to innovate, and (likely) to present these innovations as Buddhism. I consider true Buddhism to be what the Buddha taught. The fact that there may be uncertainty on some points ought not lead us to say that authenticity as such is a lost cause, and anything goes.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • edited November 2010
    I've read comments in books to the effect that no one really knows what the Buddha taught; everything was conveyed orally, and not written down until generations later.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I've read comments in books to the effect that no one really knows what the Buddha taught; everything was conveyed orally, and not written down until generations later.

That's true, but most scholars agree that the Pali Nikayas are very close to what the Buddha probably taught. Evidence for this varies, but includes the fact that exact same literature can be found in Chinese, Ghandari, Pali and Sanskrit, which is significant because it shows that these teachings were translated into various dialects before the major schisms that eventually occurred.

Regardless of what language the texts were originally spoken in, they were written down and translated into at least these four separate languages; and this is important because it shows that at one time, these were accepted as being actual teachings of the Buddha (minus the Vinaya and Abhidhamma, which is another discussion altogether). There has been a fascinating, yet little know study of this for some time by monastics and scholars alike (e.g., Ajahn Sujato, M. Anesaki, Samuel Beal, Bhiksu Thich Minh Chau, etc.).

Moreover, I'd say that the essence of what the Buddha is recorded as saying in the Pali Canon is fairly consistent throughout. I think this is mainly due to the fact that the Buddha was a superbly gifted teacher, and that, despite evidence of later additions and modifications, much of what he taught seems to have been faithfully passed down by his disciples.

If you analyze other religious texts, such as the Bible or the Mahabharata, for example, there's evidence of layers of authorship (even in places where there is said to be only one author), and you can literally trace the evolution of these texts via changes in style, grammar and content. The core of Pali Canon, however, shows evidence of originating from a single source through its consistency of content. As Prof. Richard Gombrich puts it, "I find (as Buddhists have always found) that the central part of the Canon... presents such originality, intelligence, grandeur and - most relevantly - coherence, that it is hard to see it as a composite works" (Theravada Buddhism, pg. 20).

I'm not completely sure why this is, but I think the methods of preservation may have had something to do with it. At the beginning, this included memorization of suttas by large groups of monks, who would then have periodic councils where they would recite and compare various recitations in order to weed out alterations and distortions. This was later done with written texts, as well.
  • edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Mysticism at your local church, Mr.alfred? How unusual!

I'm jealous. I really am. You New Mexicans really know how to live!
    Yes Nirvana. the last church I was in,and even was studying for ordination in, I left in 2008, was the Liberal Catholic Church, founded in 1916 by theosophists C.W Leadbeater and James B Wedgwood, to the chagrin of Mme Blavatsky but with the blessing of Annie Besant. It combined Roman Catholic ritual, including the Eucharist and concept of transubstantiation, with Theosophy, a mystical path if ever there was one. I discovered the Buddha, largely thanks to Theosophy, and that was the end of that. I grew up Roman Catholic. The whole idea of bread and wine turning into the Christ because a priest mumbles some magic words over it is pretty mystical don't ya think?
    Why do you think we New Mexicans know how to live? Is it our "land of Manana" attitude? I grew up in NYC until I was 18. That was ..well...a long time ago.Decades. Believe me it took me a lot of time and shock therapy to get used to NM, but now I like it. Like Texas too.
  • edited November 2010
    I do not understand the haggling over this school or that school of Buddhism. If, as Buddhism teaches, concepts are empty, what does it matter what you call yourself. As Buddha is rumored to have said "If you call yourself a Buddhist, you are not one."

I read a book on Buddha by OSHO today. Is anyone familiar with this person's work? The book jacket called him a "mystic", but there are all kinds of "mystics" running around these days.
  • edited November 2010
    mr.alfred wrote: »
    As Buddha is rumored to have said "If you call yourself a Buddhist, you are not one."

This raises a question I had. What defines a "practitioner"? Is anyone a practitioner who puts compassion and loving-kindness into practice? Or does observing the 5 precepts qualify one as a practitioner? Is meditation a component? Or is it not that big a deal? A lama I studied with spoke about being a practitioner as if it were an achievement beyond the average schmoe attending teachings. I've hesitated to call myself a practitioner ever since.
    edited November 2010
    If you don't call yourself a practioner, you are one.

(--I don't know if that works, but I figured I'd launch it and see if it makes it off the ground!)

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    A practitioner exerts right effort (cultivating wholesome states, strengthening/perfecting wholesome states, preventing the arising of unwholesome states, extinguishing/abandoning unwholesome states). Practice means active application of the teachings in one's life; otherwise it's just a belief system.
  • edited November 2010
    Very interesting. What is the source for this?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    This raises a question I had. What defines a "practitioner"? Is anyone a practitioner who puts compassion and loving-kindness into practice? Or does observing the 5 precepts qualify one as a practitioner? Is meditation a component? Or is it not that big a deal? A lama I studied with spoke about being a practitioner as if it were an achievement beyond the average schmoe attending teachings. I've hesitated to call myself a practitioner ever since.

According to the Buddha, a lay-follower (who can also be considered a practitioner) is one who's gone to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha for refuge, and is committed to the practice according to the Dhamma (AN 8.25). In short, being sincere in your practice makes one a practitioner, not any sort of special achievement.
    edited November 2010
    In my opinion, to set out to create a 'new school of Buddhism' shows up the desire to innovate...

Sure, like all schools of Buddhism, they are "new". There is not a school or scripture extant today that was there in the time of the Buddha, or even for hundreds of years after his death. All Buddhism is new Buddhism, I am not sure how you can find reason to dislike or disbelieve that demonstrable truth.
    I consider true Buddhism to be what the Buddha taught.

But we don't know what he taught, we don't even know that he was a singular man - we should be doubtful of all claims and only find clary in that which cannot be doubted, eg the certainty of the noble truths.

The fact that there may be uncertainty on some points ought not lead us to say that authenticity as such is a lost cause

You seem to wish for a stamp of authentic approval, "Certified Buddhist Doctrine...." which will inevitably be a "lost cause" because there is no authority about these issues.
    and anything goes.

No, I don't think that is the claim at all . Is it not that nothing "goes" except that which is "... skillful... blameless... praised by the wise and leads to welfare & to happiness."

namaste