Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Without a doubt, laziness is my largest obstacle

SimplifySimplify Veteran
edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
It always takes the same form: distraction. I know intellectually that there are things to do which are important to me. Today I have been trying to do them, but have failed. Horribly failed. Everything I want to accomplish is wasted away into meaningless distraction. Meaning less distraction being very small entertainments, pleasures, eating a snack on and on.

I can be aware of it when it happens. Beyond that I haven't been able to do anything about it.

My only approach to it is just to try harder, have more willpower. I don't think that works.

If you can give me a method or a way of changing this I believe it will be of great benefit to me and also my family, friends, people I work with.

I'm feeling kind of desperate on this one.

Sorry for the large number of posts, this is all new to me and I have lots of questions.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I have the same problem! Here are somethings I've been trying to do. Maybe they'll help. Mediate first thing in the morning. Splash some water on your face, and hit the cushion. It helps to start the day the right way!

If technology is part of the distraction, try doing an hour a day with everything off. No TV, no internet, etc. Just meditate, read, write, do chores, etc.

Keep a journal; write everyday. I've found that establishing healthy daily routines is a good way to start developing self-discipline.

Practice a minute of mindfulness. Try to really focus on what you are doing--breathing, eating, walking down the street--for at least a minute each hour.

Finally--and most importantly--think about why you let yourself become distracted. Meditate on it. I've found that realizing that real happiness--Buddha happiness--has nothing to do with what I'm doing or where I'm at; it's easier to be less distracted and more focused on what needs to be done when you really realize there's absolutely no reason you can't be perfectly happy while you are doing them.

I'm a terrible procrastinator and all around distracted person myself, and these things have helped me a bit. I hope they're helpful to you!
  • SimplifySimplify Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Thank you so much for your reply. One thing is at the moment I have no trouble meditating 30 minutes a day, but that's because i like it cause its new - no doubt as soon as it ceases to be fun or interesting my distracted nature will demolish my meditation practice as well!

You say to mediate on the reasons why I am distracted, I can see this at two levels.

First, I can trace my entire history of distraction, its one of the few things I think I see clearly. I can see it because it has caused serious problems all along my life. So I could meditate on that source which was learning to deal with emotional pain by withdrawl into mind games or nintendo games or getting lost in the woods. I could also meditate on the here and now cause, which would be similar I guess, in that I guess underneath there is pain or suffering or dukka or something, and it's like thats all I can take, I don't have the capacity to carry the burdon of washing the dishes in addition to the dukka or whatever, but this isn't really consciouse, I just find myself watching some stupid youtube video or eating some cheese.

thanks again for the suggestions.
  • edited November 2009
    Just throwing this out there, from one beginner to another.

I was told before, and have re posted it around here, something that change my outlook from the start.
    "You can't change the color of a black wall simply by yelling the word yellow at it. It takes paint and a painter to change the wall."

I know it's different then what you are use to hearing but simple trying harder doesn't always work. You have to understand the problem and skillfully walk around it.

I find it helpful to view each and every problem like I'm coming across a stream in the woods. You have to stop and look around, really look around, trying to find the easiest way to cross. Sometimes there are stones, other times a fallen tree, at worst you have to get your hands dirty and pant legs wet. You don't want to get wet right away though, if a solution can present it's self.

I haven't been at this long, so others may know better then me.

I would look at the root of what it is that distracts you, and do what it takes to get away from it. If it's being at home go to the park, if it's a long chore list do the chores and sit back down, ect.

I know in myself that there are somedays I just can't get into it, and on those days I realize it now and simply do something else and try again in a few hours. So far that has worked well for me.

I hope you find your path, and would love to hear how you solve this problem. :D
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    If you can give me a method or a way of changing this I believe it will be of great benefit to me and also my family, friends, people I work with.

The method the Buddha used is usually contained in the explanations of right effort. It is not a 'form of meditation' but you should just read more about it. There is a monk in that site What The Buddha Taught that recorded like 20 talks on right effort.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    From my teacher's book (p 75)
    The first and possibly most difficult roadblock is unwillingness. Unwillingness is often viewed as mere laziness, but to tell yourself that you are lazy doesn't help you understand the roadblock or how to remove it.

We avoid meditation for very specific reasons. To discover the reasons, first establish a definite time and place for meditation. Every day at the set time, go to where you practice and stand there until one of two thnigs happens: either you know exactly why you aren't going to practice that day, or you sit down and practice. In a week or two, this simple (but not easy) exercise will expose at least one of the reasons underlying your unwillingness to practice. When you learn what it is, you can take it apart by using any or all of th efollowing foru tools: interest, effort, confidence and competence.
    If you try this, let us know what you find. :)
  • edited November 2009
    When I procrastinate washing dishes
    Disconnect internet
    And other distraction
    Stay doing nothing
    Until I wash dishes and move on
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I like that approach. The problem for me is, I need the internet to do my work.
  • edited November 2009
    Ouch!
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Oh yeah, I LOVE being involved in ME stuff! Meditation is non-me stuff and much harder to motivate myself about. Sigh.