Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Single-pointed concentration question

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Basics
NewBuddhist forum,
This is my first post, and probably one of the first times I've tried to express what's going on while meditating, which is leaving me with a more direct understanding of the philosophy behind Zen. Anyways, I've recently redoubled my efforts on developing single-pointed concentration via concentrating single-pointedly on the object of breath. There are times while trying to single-pointedly meditate on breathing where my mind will wander. Now I've learned how to directly elevate my mood from practicing loving-kindness, which I find enhances my concentration. Recently I've tried directly elevating my mood while focusing on breath which I've found minimizes interruption and enhances the "depth" of my concentration. One thing I'd like to emphasize is that it doesn't feel like I'm focusing on two things, mood elevation and breath, but more that they're one. It's somewhat that I'm choosing the relate to the experience positively. "Intuition" is saying both that elevating mood is fine as long as you follow the rule of detachment, but also that single-pointed concentration should transcend emotion and be completely about the object of meditation. I feel I'm not completely expressing the subtleties of it and I'll try and elaborate if necessary. Thank you

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Thank you Gemini for your clear & inspiring post and welcome. :)

The Buddha taught meditation called Anapanasati. Usually this is translated as mindfulness of breathing but in reality & practise, it is called mindfulness with breathing. There are many practises that can be done in association with awareness of breathing.

Step # 10 of mindfulness with breathing is 'delighting the mind or exalting the mind whilst breathing in & out'.

Step # 11 is called 'concentrating the mind whilst breathing in & out'.

So the practice you shared is similar to this. Two (subtle) practices can certainly be done together.

Kind regards

:)
  • edited November 2009
    Interesting, is anapanasati an "open" mindfulness (watching the mind and senses) or a single pointed focus on breath. Or does it start as open, then move to a more single pointed focus?

I'm finding that conveying what I'm experiencing to be a self-conscious process. I've probably spent over an hour trying to figure out not only what to express but how I'm trying to further my knowledge. Maybe my communication skills have atrophied, but have you ever been in an academic environment where you try to get a deeper understanding of a subject from a professor, but don't have an exact question, so you get a remedial answer that you already understand and doesn't yield any deeper insight? That is what I'm trying to avoid. I think what I'm experiencing is best related to the jhānas, to which I need to further my understanding. From what I've read I think I'm experiencing the first state, sometimes slipping into the second state accidentally (which is where the object of focus is "dropped"?). I've had a nagging thought also regarding the level of positivity, which I believe is dealt with in the third stage? Where can I further my understanding relating to the jhanas?

Thank you.
    edited November 2009
    GeminiVI wrote: »
    Interesting, is anapanasati an "open" mindfulness (watching the mind and senses) or a single pointed focus on breath. Or does it start as open, then move to a more single pointed focus?
    Hi

My opinion is it is open mindfulness watching the mind & senses, which later naturally converges to a single pointed focus.

Why? Because mindfulness means 'recollection' or 'remembering' rather than awareness. One remembers to apply the Dhamma, namely, keeping the mind free from craving, judging and attachment.

Thus, when we start like this, the mind will naturally be open and vigilant of itself.

Kind regards

DD :)
    edited November 2009
    I'm finding that conveying what I'm experiencing to be a self-conscious process. I've probably spent over an hour trying to figure out not only what to express but how I'm trying to further my knowledge. Maybe my communication skills have atrophied...
    Your communication sounds clear to me. Just communicating meditation experience is not always easy.
    I think what I'm experiencing is best related to the jhānas, to which I need to further my understanding. From what I've read I think I'm experiencing the first state, sometimes slipping into the second state accidentally (which is where the object of focus is "dropped"?). I've had a nagging thought also regarding the level of positivity, which I believe is dealt with in the third stage? Where can I further my understanding relating to the jhanas?
    Literature on jhanas is in many places. Such as scriptures.

The are many writers on the subject of jhana but for me, Ajahn Brahmavamso is the best I have read. His explanations are very clear, in plain english and about the real thing.

Possibly you can do some research or someone can post some links. For me, my lunch break is ending.

You can try this link for searching: http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/

Kind regards

DD :)
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you for the link. This is what I've read regarding jhanas which is an excerpt from a book called "Buddha's List". Just as a heads up, the author of the book takes the "super powers" of enlightenment, such as walking through walls, in a literal term which I personally don't agree with (until experiencing other wise :p). Here's a direct link to the entire book in PDF form.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, that page doesn't look very helpful. This looks much more useful.
  • edited November 2009
    One thing I'd like to emphasize is that it doesn't feel like I'm focusing on two things, mood elevation and breath, but more that they're one. It's somewhat that I'm choosing the relate to the experience positively. "Intuition" is saying both that elevating mood is fine as long as you follow the rule of detachment, but also that single-pointed concentration should transcend emotion and be completely about the object of meditation.
    Probably you'll find this helpful: The Jhanas In Theravada Buddhist Meditation

In training single-pointed concentration, in general, the need to 'elevate the mood' is a common process that needs doing. Gross dullness and excitement make you leave your object entirely, and when these are overcome the meditation object is no longer entirely lost.

At this point, even though the object is not technically lost, the object can and will fade into the background. The object isn't dropped from attention, but it no longer has your full attention. This is due to subtle dullness and subtle excitement. This is the level of meditation that many meditators are cultivating when they think they're reaching concentration.

In proper single-pointed meditation the meditation object is blazing with clarity, freshness, alertness. There is no trace of spacing out, inactivity, lethargy, indecisiveness, hesitance etc. So, keep resetting the mood and re-energizing your meditation object whenever it loses its freshness. Gradually, subtle dullness will be overcome you will no longer need to re-energize. That is the natural progression and the is natural cause for the fruit of deeper concentration. A mind that no longer is prone to having to re-energize its object of focus is no longer a weak mind.

Clear? More about the subtle versions of dullness and excitement here:
    Nine Stages of Training the Mind
    READ THIS

Close Placement
    The entry to the fourth stage, which is known as close placement, is marked by nondistraction. We always remain close to the breath. That’s when we know we’ve crossed the border. This is stability. We know that even though the horse will wander here and there, it won’t be leaving the trail.

Our meditation now takes on a different twist. Previously our main concern was not to be distracted from the breath. We were worried that our mind was going to be sucked back into everyday problems. We were always wondering if we’d be strong enough to return to the breath. Now we’re more relaxed. We’re no longer wondering if we can stay on the breath because we know we can. We’re no longer concerned about outside influences pulling us away from meditation because we know they won’t. Our confidence is heightened. Now we’re concerned about the quality of our meditation—the texture, the experience. Before we were worried that we couldn’t get a cup of coffee; now we want a mocha cappuccino. How can we make our minds stronger, more vibrant? This is our new priority.
  • edited November 2009
    Thank you both, fivebells and aaki, for the links. I'm finding them very illuminating. I have another point of concern. I keep experiencing from time to time what I'd describe as a "wave", like a wave from the ocean, that rhythmically weakens and or dissolves my focus for an instant, usually on the in breath. It makes my concentration feel comparable to beating a drum. It feels similar to focusing on nothing. I used to fight it to no avail, but now I just accept it and hope that somewhere down the line I'll over come it. Any advice?

Thank you.
  • edited November 2009
    I keep experiencing from time to time what I'd describe as a "wave", like a wave from the ocean, that rhythmically weakens and or dissolves my focus for an instant, usually on the in breath. It makes my concentration feel comparable to beating a drum. It feels similar to focusing on nothing. I used to fight it to no avail, but now I just accept it and hope that somewhere down the line I'll over come it.
    The wave coming and interrupting what would otherwise be continuous concentration pretty much sums up the 3rd of the 9 stages, read "Repeated Placement" in the link.

Calling it like a wave is an astute way of putting it. The concentration is stable enough to be a noticeably substantial thing in your observation, and yet this slight disturbance which is much smaller than the substantial thing still intrudes.

With continuing practice and effort, mindfulness, which really means watchfulness, the ability to detect when the mind is moving off the object, will become constant. At that point, there will be continuous unbroken observation and no more wave. This is an amazing thing to observe. Most people never thought such a thing could be possible. But it's also where the real fight begins, keeping the meditation object fresh, alert, vibrant. If the object is not kept CONTINUOUSLY vibrant, which is a little hard to do, then the continuously held meditation object is impaired by subtle dullness and this will function to make your mind stupid and spaced out over time.

My advice is to do 2 meditation sessions per day if you are only doing 1, with a significant interval of time between them. This is to improve your activities when you are off the cushion, by always keeping the impact of your efforts in meditation in mind. It also helps the meditation sessions themselves.

Also once you overcome the wave, reading about the fruits of perfect concentration (ie. what all the various mental factors are doing, which will come, etc) will be particularly meaningful because there is an automatic sense of them in unbroken concentration.