Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

beginner in meditation don't know where to start?

edited November 2009 in Meditation
I am not buddhist but I do know wether I decide to be one or not to be one I want to practice meditation but I seriously don't know where to start. I have tried doing it but I felt like I was doing it wrong or something cause I didn't know how to do it. Can someone help me?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Zen. What were you doing, and why did it feel wrong?
  • edited November 2009
    well I sat on the ground and had everything off to not disrupt my concentration and i closed my eyes and pretty much just sat there and I guess why I felt wrong cause I didn't feel nothing or nothing happened that supposed to happen when doing meditation.
  • edited November 2009
    ... nothing happened that supposed to happen when doing meditation.

Nothing is supposed to happen during meditation. Meditation, even when done "correctly", can be unpleasant at times. I would recommend doing some research on the topic. Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen has a good introduction to practice. He also wrote Meditation Now or Never, which is supposed to be a good primer (I've not read it).
  • edited November 2009
    I see but I am still unsure on how to be doing it correctly. Was I doing it all correctly with how I said I did?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    That's a good start. There are more detailed instructions here. Look for the section titled "Practice."

That whole book, Mindfulness in Plain English, is a pretty good start for anyone interested in meditation. It can get you a long way.
  • edited November 2009
    Mindfulness with Jon Kabat-Zinn

Nine Stages of Training the Mind

COURSE 3: Applied Meditation

Down-to-Earth Explanation of the Seven-Limb Preliminary Practice

In addition to having much knowledge of the specific steps in meditation, a correct preliminary before beginning actual concentration practice is one of the secrets for rapid results.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Buddhism is more about meditation. In fact the reason why you should meditate and why you should try to be enlightened is something that should be understood to truely appreciate Buddhism and the practice of meditation in my opinion. It will be good to do some reading on it as well as meditation. Try a google search on "dependent origination", it's like the core of Buddhist philosophy.
  • edited November 2009
    thanks for the very useful info :D