Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Becoming voluntarely homeless to study Buddhism.

edited January 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Recently I have given the following a lot of thoughts, "becoming voluntarely homeless to study Buddhism."

Let me explain:

For myself I think I will better be able to understand the teachings of the Buddha to the full extend if I take on the same way of life as the Buddha had when he went on his quest to enlightenment. He left everything in his palace behind and became a homeless wanderer without much possesions, and went from place to place to find answers.

He reads that it is important to not be attached to any possesion, that possesions are not permanent and therefore will lead to suffering.

Now I am 24 years of age, and I have made my decision to dedicate this year (starting from september 2009 and at least to september 2010) to fully dedicate my life to the teachings of the Buddha. I will try to gain a good understanding of his teachings.

But for me, I think to fully understand it you have to "experience" what he teaches, and not only "study" it.

From 30 December 2009 I will be homeless, since I gave up my apartment starting from that date, also I don't have any possesions anymore (only a tent, sleepingbag, clothes, but not more). I already have sold all my furniture and other stuff, and my apartment is now completely empty (except for the tent, sleepingbag and clothes).

Also I now sleep on the floor with my sleepingbag, since I sold my bed.

I live in the Netherlands (Europe) and will take the train to Scotland on 30 december 2009, and will walk around Scotland for about 6 months, sleeping in my tent in abadonned, silent places, because there is lot of nature there far away from cities.

Food and water I will buy at the stores, but I will try to use most of my time to walking, reading books about Buddhism and trying to meditate.

Now what I am interested in knowing is:

What are your thoughts on what I described above? I ask because as a citizen of Europe, most of the people who live here thinks it's a stupid idea to be voluntarely homeless and that it is weird to sell all your possesions.

Especially in the Netherlands (for most people) the "highest goal in life" is to get married or have some sort of relationship, make money, and try to get as much possesions as you can get.

Unfortunately in Europe, homeless people are mostly thought of as alcohol or drug addicts. Although this is for the most part true where I live, because all the homeless people I have seen and met so far had some kind of addiction to either alcohol, soft drugs or hard drugs.

I think they shape the image for "the person with no home".

But this is not the image I have when I think of becoming homeless. When I think of having no home, I think of all the time that you can use to study and think. I think of Buddha when he left his home to go into the uncertain to find answers. I think of Tibetan Buddhist who go on "prostration journeys" of 2.000 kilometers.

I notice there is so much difference in this part of the world (Europe) and the part of the world in Asia. Especially take the Tibet region. There becoming homeless to take a journey is thought of as something "honorable".

But here in Europe, it is thought of as something stupid and worthless.

Well, I hope to hear your opinion on this one. It would be very interesting to me to read your opinions.

Taendjin

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Maybe what you are describing is becoming nomadic as opposed to 'homeless'

I must add though, that we live in a very different world now, and even though you think you can relinquish everything, it may not be so easy. You have grown up in a western modern society. Do you believe you have aquired the life skills needed to live the way you describe? Can you forage your own food in the 'wild'..

I imagine your goal is to leave all behind including money. This may have been much easier in a past time when things such as trade were more widespread than money, but now, even in the remote parts of scotland you will need money to survive a winter with mearly a tent and sleeping bag.

Have you considered becoming a monk? and joining a buddhist monestary. This way you will relinquish the possesions you speak of, but more importantly will have a teacher to guide you, something very important in following the path.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited November 2009
    It is important to understand what is the purpose for taking ordination and living as a monastic.

First, on the individual level, there is a purpose in being a monk or nun. The Buddha himself was an example of this. With family life, even though one may feel content, one has to take care of the family, so one has to engage in many worldly activities . The advantage of being a monk or nun is that one does not have to be entrapped in too many worldly engagements or activities.

After becoming a monk or a nun, as a practitioner one must also train the mind to develop genuine compassion and concern for all beings – or at least those surrounding him, Not the usual egocentric form of love and concern which is conditional BUT an unconditional form of altruistic loving kindness. The Monastic community lives in complete dependence on the Laypeople who provides for all their needs, in turn the Sangha teaches the Dhamma to the Laypeople, serving as their moral beacon and 'field of merit'.

Therefore, becoming a monk or nun is very good for the practice of the Buddhadhamma but the basic aim of Dhamma practice is Nibbana, not just day-to-day happiness.

As monastics, the goal is Nibbana, permanent cessation of worldly suffering, so the monks have to pacify the seeds or the factors that bind them in the samsaric world. The chief of these is attachment. Therefore the main purpose of being a monastic is to reduce attachment: one is no longer being attached to family, no longer being attached to sexual pleasure, no longer being attached to other worldly facilities. That is the main purpose. This is the purpose on the individual level. The leading of a morally pure life detached from sensual pleasures forms the foundation of meditative practice to see the truths of life.

Having taken ordination the Sangha must constantly remember that the primary reason for keeping the precepts is to be able to dedicate themselves to the practice of the Dhamma and the welfare of sentient beings. The major aspect of Buddhist practice involves training the mind through meditation. But if the training in calming the minds, and developing qualities like love, compassion, generosity and patience, is to be effective, one must put them into practice in daily life. Even if only a few individuals try to create mental peace and happiness within themselves and act responsibly and kindheartedly towards others, they will have a positive influence in their community. If we can do that we will fulfill the Buddha's fundamental instruction not only to avoid harming others, but actually to do good.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Taendjin, you worry too much about what other people think. People responded to the Buddha's choices in a similar way.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    What are your thoughts on what I described above? I ask because as a citizen of Europe, most of the people who live here thinks it's a stupid idea to be voluntarely homeless and that it is weird to sell all your possesions.

I think it is a waste of time. If you are homeless you will have to spend a lot of time searching for food and begging (unless you have your own money) and just wandering. Being homeless doesn't mean you don't have to do anything, you will still have to worry about survival.

If you want to fully immerse in the Dharma your best choice is to go to a monastery for a while. There are some in Europe, or you can go to Asia. At least there you will have some guidance.

If you just want time for yourself just take a sabbatical or whatever and stay in your home studying and meditating, or something.
    But this is not the image I have when I think of becoming homeless. When I think of having no home, I think of all the time that you can use to study and think.

We must have two different kinds of homeless people in our minds. Here, the homeless just walk around in abrasive heat, hiding from the eventual rain, without any chance for health care, getting stuff from the garbage, being buried in collective graves that, from time to time, open up (don't know how it happens but it stinks), being anonymous victims of different crimes, being shunned by everybody and so on.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Taendjin, we don't know much about the society that the Buddha grew up in, but when he left the Sakyas and entered late Vedic society, he became a sramana; i.e. he became part of an established tradition. Sramanas formed a society within society. They acted out an established role (renunciate), there was an established tradition in late Vedic society of giving food to sramanas, the sramanas tended to establish groups centered around a teacher, and they organized formal debates in which various teachers would get together and compete. The Buddha himself studied with two different teachers for a total of about six years before striking off on his own path.

Probably the closest you could get to that in current western society is by joining a monastery. You would be part of a group of like minded people studying under a teacher, and you would be part of an institution that would provide you with material support. After a year or more of study, you would be in a better position to do solitary practice.

Whatever you do, I wish you success.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for your replies so far.

To clear up some things. Of course I take money with me, I have saved up for this for a while now, and i will have enough money to buy enough food and enough water every day.

I think that taking care of yourself is important, and I will not beg because everybody works hard for their money. I don't want to live off of someone else his money. I will always provide for myself.

Wandering around will be walking during the day (I try to walk 20 to 30 kilometers every day), finding a quiet place in solitude to pitch my tent. Then stay there for the rest of the day to study and meditate, then sleep, and in the morning move along to the next place. And visit a town or city everyday (or every 2 or 3 days) to buy food and water.

So I will never have to beg. Also I have waterproof clothes to protect myself from cold and rain. Eat fruit and vegetables to stay healthy.

I know it's different times today. Therefore of course I take money and supplies to stay healthy and strong.

But I am motivated by Tibetan pilgrims, some who travel 2000 kilometers while prostrating, covering the distance in about 2 years. It's remarkable that some of them only take a blanket to stay warm...

To me, when I read their story, I look at them with much respect and admiration. To me they are examples of how to do something meaningful and I admire how they pour their whole life into that journey.

This story in the link I have copied below, gives me so much inspiration to go on my 6 month journey:

http://www.khamaid.org/about_kham/articles/prostrator.htm

But maybe for western people it is difficult to understand their motivation. As I have showed the story to several people here.

Well, still curious how you think of the journey after reading this comment I wrote..
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like an awesome way to live, and something you have extensive experience with, so you presumably know what you're getting into.

Living that far off the map, I would probably also want access to modern communications and defenses, though. But maybe that's just my paranoia.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Taendjin

In the link you provided, it's apparent that Tenzin Dendrup is making a pilgrimage to Lhasa for spiritual rejuvenation of sorts. Perhaps your idea is similar - six months of 'homelessness' - travelling from one quiet place to the next to study the dharma and meditate in solitude away from distractions. If this is the case, then there could only be benefits; provided your journey does not take you to places that are not safe. Carrying money to provide for yourself is not a problem provided you do not over indulge in food and drinks. Try to live a simple a life as possible.

However, you must accept that this is not the monastic life. To experience the monastic life, you should perhaps consider going to a monastery.

Best wishes in your spiritual quest.
  • edited November 2009
    First off I must say I think your choices here make me envious. I am only 22, but I have a wife and a morgage and live in the United States or I would join you :D

That being said, I think you should look into becoming a monk. It would accomplish all your goals and secure you more then your current plan does. Either way I think your plan is well thought out. I do ask how you plan on staying in contact with your family though, I only ask this because it would not be a good thing to break a mothers heart. You may want to look into having a cell phone with you.

Keep us posted
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Sounds great. Just be safe and stay healthy. :)
  • edited November 2009
    interesting...hmmm.... watch every episode of the show "man vs wild" :D

also ....keep a journal.

you will come back.. when you realize you are needed..but until that time,
    stay safe. be careful. plan well...don't get attacked by wild animals ..know the art of war, identify your enemies... (like the environment you are facing).
    careful with fires, take care of your feet. don't over extend your proximity to stores/hospitals/supplies...

good luck
  • SimplifySimplify Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I did this for a year, many people do this for a while but don't use the word 'homeless'.

If you said you were hiking a trail, traveling or going on a retreat there would be a lot less people saying its stupid.

I was also involuntarily homeless for six months and I found that liberating as well (it was about 6 years ago).
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    You will probably learn something about yourself, but unless you already have a stable meditation (meaning that your mind will not become disturbed by emotional upset or physical difficulties,) it is unlikely your practice will have much spiritual benefit. It would be more beneficial if you lived in a dharma center with a teacher for a year.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hi, Taendjin.

I can understand why you want to take this journey and you sound determined so be smart about it and make sure you're fully prepared and will be safe. I know you've already said that you understand the importance of taking care of yourself so I don't have too many concerns. I'll just address the ones I have left.

I don't know if you're familiar with Scottish weather or not but it's very, very difficult and can be dangerous. It's very cold in the winter there. You're going to need a sub-zero tent and sleeping bag and even with those you will be terribly cold at night. There is the danger of hypothermia and even frost bite if you're not careful and you will need a proper thermal jacket, thermal gloves and hat that covers your ears, the best quality walking boots you can find, thermal underwear, and don't forget those handy little gadgets that turn warm when you click on them (sorry, I'm not explaining that well. Just look it up in Google). I have a pair of them that you put on your feet but can't walk on. Their actually for foot pain and you sit down when you're using them but they'd be a great help on your journey. They're foot-shaped plastic things with a liquid inside. There's a little round metal piece inside as well and when you bend it, it 'clicks' and in a few seconds the liquid turns solid and it's hot. Too hot for me to put next to my skin so I wear socks when I use them. They have them in many different forms, like hand warmers and so forth. Very handy on the road and reusable; you just boil them in a pot of water to make them liquid again. You can do that if you visit one of the many excellent hostels in Scotland.

But the cold isn't the only problem. If it were your journey would be much less difficult. The real problem is how wet it is in Scotland, even in the winter. (It's not like the climate in which the Buddha lived and it's not like being a Tibetan on pilgrimage. The Buddha lived in a warm climate and Tibetan's are acclimatized to their mountainous and cold environment. They know how to stay warm.) The rain in Scotland can demoralize you very quickly although I'm sure you're already used to rain. But it's the combination of rain and very cold temperatures, especially at night that pose the most hazard. I can't stress this enough. The cold is bearable but the rain and the cold is just plain dangerous. You've got to be prepared for it. That means you not only need waterproof gear, you also need ice-proof gear; a water and ice-proof sub-zero tent is an absolute must. You have to have somewhere warm and dry to be able to go to if something goes wrong or if the weather's been bad.

Keep in mind that it doesn't just rain for a week or so. It can rain for weeks on end up there. Check the weather patterns for the last two years for where you're planning to go so you can get an idea of what to expect. Take into account rain fall, consecutive days of rainfall, low temperatures, ice, snow, wind, and so on. Make sure you know as much about the weather as you can.

Although Scottish Highlanders are renowned for their hospitality, it's going to be difficult to just wander around up there. You'll have to map out the journey even though I know you don't want to. You're not going to be welcome to pitch your tent just anywhere. You have to know beforehand where you're going to be allowed to do that and where you can lawfully build a fire. You need to know what the rules are regarding relieving yourself on public lands (sorry, but needs to be addressed) but hopefully you'll be spending a lot of time in designated camp grounds where there will be facilities. The grounds will also be deserted at that time of year so count on being alone. I know you want to be alone and that it's part of the reason you're going but don't underestimate how much we humans depend on each other.

Oh, you know what? I could go on and on and on and I'm just being ridiculous. You've probably already planned for all of this already. Just be safe in every way. And watch the movie 'Into The Wild' before you go. And get an e-reader! You can carry an entire library of Buddhist books with you and it will weigh less than two hardcover books. And don't forget to download tons of Buddhist podcasts for your iPod or other MP3 player. If you don't know where to get them just let us know and we'll post some links for you. There's an amazing array of teachings available online that you can carry with you at all times. Just don't let your e-reader and iPod get stolen! That's a whole other section I could go on about, especially when you're in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Okay. I'll shut up now. Can you see why my papa calls me 'the Organizer'...?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    By the way, welcome to the site. It's lovely to meet you!
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Taendjin,
    I think it is good, especially when one is still young and single, to shake up your life and shake off your possessions. Putting your self into a new context allows you to observe yourself differently.

Giving up possessions is easy ... it's all just "stuff" anyway. Far more challenging is giving up attachment to physical comfort, and the challenges come when you are cold or hungry or tired or hurting (whether it's a twisted ankle or just stiff and sore from sleeping on cold ground). I'm not implying that there is any value in seeking out physical stressors or in prolonging discomfort ... but while they are occurring (and they will occur far more frequently than if you had stayed in your nice cozy apartment), you have the opportunity to observe desire and want. This is the gift of Buddhist lessons that you will derive from your adventure. And they are gifts that will last a lifetime if you learn them well.

(for those of you who are young and wish you too were free to take such a trip, be assured that once you reach your senior years you will be given many opportunities to observe discomfort!)

Taendjin, please drop back in and share whatever you wish of your adventure! May your eyes be open and your heart light.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    I don't know if you're familiar with Scottish weather or not but it's very, very difficult and can be dangerous. It's very cold in the winter there... The real problem is how wet it is in Scotland, even in the winter... But it's the combination of rain and very cold temperatures, especially at night that pose the most hazard. I can't stress this enough. The cold is bearable but the rain and the cold is just plain dangerous... you also need ice-proof gear; a water and ice-proof sub-zero tent is an absolute must... It can rain for weeks on end up there.
    Brought to you by the Portuguese Tourism Bureau. ;-)
  • edited December 2009
    Taendjin,

Like others here, I too would urge you to seek refuge in a monastery. The Buddha created the Sangha so that we wouldn't have to go it alone.

However, if you have already made up your mind, I wish you well on your journey. May you find whatever it is you are looking for. Also, I hope you don't die.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Brought to you by the Portuguese Tourism Bureau. ;-)
    Lol!!
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Follow the Thai forest tradition. Go to Thailand, if you find a suitable contact there you can join with a monastery. There are monks there in this day and age who get enlightened by following the guided meditation methods. Some of them are western monks

Thai forest tradition is very much smiliar to the lifestyle you seek. They live in the forest or in monasteries close to the forest. They meditate under trees for long hours. They go to the village for alms just like the Buddha did. They don't keep posession of money.

Isn't it better than being alone with your own thoughts and a few bucks in your pocket while wandering in the streets of Europe where the majority do not know about Buddhism? The Buddha found the way to enlightenment and his disciples have been called the "sanga" (the monks) who practice his teachings in monastic communities. My advice for you is, don't be alone in this. There is a better chace for you in a monastic life
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited December 2009
    When I was younger I used to have similar aspirations. I just wanted to get away from all this modern world with its excesses and superficiality and wander around alone, feeling deeply and thinking highly. Commonsense or fear of the unknown (not sure which yet) didn't let me do it, though. Sometimes I still regret that I've settled down without experiencing wreckless adventure.

So good luck to you, whatever you want to do. If I were you, though, I'd stay away from cities as far as possible. Maybe it's different in Europe, but here in the US, cities are nasty if you don't have much money and especially if you don't have a home. In my soul searching I've envied many kinds of people, but never ever have I envied the homeless sleeping on the pavement. Such degradation I wouldn't want to experience for anything.
    edited December 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    I don't know if you're familiar with Scottish weather or not but it's very, very difficult and can be dangerous.

as a mountain climber I've got to chime in and say this is dead on (er no pun intended).

I'd like to sum up some basic things that you might want to look into further.

Cotton + water + cold = hypothermia. Cotton sucks the heat out of you when it gets wet. Only synthetic material (capiline polypropiline, polyester, other types of nylon etc) or wool can keep you warm when they get wet.

Also most people don't know this, but food is crucial for staying warm. When up in the cold mountains we take regular breaks to eat high carbohydrate foods, which the body burns as fuel to stay warm. Fat can be used in a limited way as fuel to keep you warm, and protein can't be used immediately as fuel for warmth. So if you get into a near hypothermia situation, make sure your consuming carbohydrates.

Also, staying hydrated is also crucial for staying warm, even though the water itself may be cold, your body uses it to stay warm.
  • edited December 2009
    Seriously, Taendjin. I've thought about this too. I am perfectly capable of it as much as you. What stopped me was the idea that I was following a romanticized view of spiritual learning. In this place at this time, I would end up dead though. Glassed or dead of cold. You have intellegence, so use it, don't try to look past it in this case.

At least wait till its warm, that would be wise on all accounts.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Simplify wrote: »
    as a mountain climber I've got to chime in and say this is dead on (er no pun intended).

I'd like to sum up some basic things that you might want to look into further.

Cotton + water + cold = hypothermia. Cotton sucks the heat out of you when it gets wet. Only synthetic material (capiline polypropiline, polyester, other types of nylon etc) or wool can keep you warm when they get wet.

Also most people don't know this, but food is crucial for staying warm. When up in the cold mountains we take regular breaks to eat high carbohydrate foods, which the body burns as fuel to stay warm. Fat can be used in a limited way as fuel to keep you warm, and protein can't be used immediately as fuel for warmth. So if you get into a near hypothermia situation, make sure your consuming carbohydrates.

Also, staying hydrated is also crucial for staying warm, even though the water itself may be cold, your body uses it to stay warm.
    I didn't know that about food and water. Good info. Simplify. Thanks!

(Maybe I should pack some non-freezable edible carbs in the car in case my aging folks have car trouble this winter and have to wait for help. Hmmm...)
  • edited December 2009
    Taendjin,

Obviouslessly, you have got your heart set on this adventure. So, nothing I could possibly say at this point is going to change your mind. Isn’t that true? ; ^ )

When someone strongly wants to do something, feels in his heart that it is the correct next step for him, than I would say, “Go for it.”

You will probably learn a lot of things, which you as an individual need to learn at this point.

I think that you will get a good chance to spend time with yourself, and see what it is in your own self that is keeping your from feeling satisfied. You won’t have as many things to blame, like your job, or your friends, whatever, to spill the blame onto. It will just be you, and whatever is going on in your immediate environment at that moment to blame. This could prove to be Clarifying as to where the real problem lies.

I wish you well,
    S9
  • edited December 2009
    Greetings, Taendjin:

Your post about your journey was the first thing I read here.

Indeed, it has been some years since I booted up, logged on and dove into discussions of the Dharma.

For my 2 cents worth....

Your journey has already begun.

There are 10,000 reasons you should not go.

Mark Twain once said that he never regretted the things he had done....
    he only regretted the things he did NOT do.

Life has a way of sneeking up on us....
    and mortgaging our minutes, hours and years
    with jobs, families, duties.
    Let there be time now for discovery, adventure and make memories....
    let your adventures build an architecture in your heart
    upon which to rest the philosophies and dreams of an entire life.
    This is only my opinion....
    void where prohibited by law....
    $5 more in Canada....

Gassho,
    VL
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I would strongly advise against undertaking such an attempt. While it sounds romantic you'd likely be so occupied with trying to survive I don't know what meaningful time you would have for spiritual reflection and growth. I'll echo what others have said and recommend going to live in a monastery for awhile. Remember, Buddhism is called the "middle path" for a reason. Going to extremes of any kind really is not advisable.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    I would strongly advise against undertaking such an attempt. While it sounds romantic you'd likely be so occupied with trying to survive I don't know what meaningful time you would have for spiritual reflection and growth. I'll echo what others have said and recommend going to live in a monastery for awhile. Remember, Buddhism is called the "middle path" for a reason. Going to extremes of any kind really is not advisable.

I agree as well.
    With all due respect, if you have not already spent time in the north of Scotland, you have no idea how dangerous it can be. I live in British Columbia Canada, where the wilderness is very near at hand. Having grown up in an urban area in central Canada, I was surprised when I moved here how easily a person can die if they are not prepared for bad weather and bad terrain. I was born in the Netherlands and visited there recently. It is lovely, but even the rural areas seem urban to me. If you want to spend time on your own in the Scottish wilds, please join some kind of Outward Bound course and spend a week or two with an experienced wilderness guide so that you know how to survive.
    It strikes me that you want to live as a hermit. A noble ambition, but where is your teacher? I, too, would encourage you to follow a Theravadan path.
  • edited December 2009
    We have all become such timid clones
    of manageable citizens.
    We fear we will suffer and die if we are bold.

We will suffer and die anyway.

I pray that I may be bold in my mind
    and my heart......VL
  • edited December 2009
    Taendjin,

I am curious to know if anything said here on this forum, has changed the way that you are looking at this adventure, or how you will be proceeding?

I wonder, also, if you could share with us in this way? I bet others are curious, too.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited December 2009
    This is something I had considered also. My freinds and family talked me out of it, I suppose my resolve wasn't as strong as I thought.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to test the water first? Get a tent and a rucksack with supplies and find some country side in your local area, and rough it in your local area for just a couple of days or whatever and see if you can stand it.

Better than going to Scotland and finding it unbearable.

I wish you success in what ever you decide.

Metta.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Vinyl Lady wrote: »
    We have all become such timid clones
    of manageable citizens.
    We fear we will suffer and die if we are bold.

We will suffer and die anyway.

I pray that I may be bold in my mind
    and my heart......VL
    What an extraordinary post. So beautifully expressed.
  • edited December 2009
    I'm far from an expert, but I don't think this is the middle path either. I think this idea is an expression of aversion. It does sound romantic and adventurous, etc., but I don't think it will help you down the path. BTW, have you seen the movie 'Into the Wild'? I _highly_ recommend it. My opinion would be that spending 1-3 months each year wandering and seeking knowledge would be far more productive, and it's something that I would like to do in the future.

cheers,
    brian
  • edited December 2009
    taendjin,

thank you for letting me read about your journey. i will also be homeless at the new year, so the coincidence strikes me. but i will be going south as quickly as possible (from toronto, canada) to minimize the suffering and distraction from cold and wet winter. why have you chosen to go to scotland instead of south, especially during winter?
  • edited December 2009
    stilllife wrote: »
    taendjin,

thank you for letting me read about your journey. i will also be homeless at the new year, so the coincidence strikes me. but i will be going south as quickly as possible (from toronto, canada) to minimize the suffering and distraction from cold and wet winter. why have you chosen to go to scotland instead of south, especially during winter?

Are you passing through Ohio on your way down? If you're taking 75 down, let me know, I'll meet you somewhere and buy you a cup of coffee. ;)

Also, this may be of interest to some:
    http://www.couchsurfing.org/
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Stream wrote: »
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to test the water first? Get a tent and a rucksack with supplies and find some country side in your local area, and rough it in your local area for just a couple of days or whatever and see if you can stand it.

Better than going to Scotland and finding it unbearable.

I think this is a great idea. See if you can do it for a few weeks in your area first. At least it will come as a good experience when you do the real thing
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Taendjin,

Stream's suggestion quoted by Deshy above is a good one. I'm familiar with the very cold, wet, Scottish weather, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone staying in a tent there in the winter time. How will you manage if you get snowed up and cut off ? They can get a lot of snow there in January/February.
    If you want to live in a tent in Scotland, wait till the late spring or summer is my advice!

Kind regards,

Dazzle
    edited December 2009
    In the times that I have gone adventuring, I have found incredible freedom and openness. It seems something happens in the daily routine that causes us unenlightened folks to take things for granted, to deal with the difficulties by building thick skins, and mechanically following habits.

There is a space that opens up when you don't have all your normal duties and routines. Even not having to feed the cat creates an opening. For me it takes about a month or two of complete free-wheeling without responsibility before the space opens up. In those spaces I have learned the most about myself and also about people in general.

I wouldn't plan every day or every week because then you're just creating another responsibility.
  • edited December 2009
    In my younger days, my best friend of many years, and myself, used to work only for ½ a year, and take the other ½ off and travel around, ending up in a new town. This was a little like the joke about hiding your grass, by throwing it up in the air, because obviously it always comes down again.

: ^ )

But, I do remember the feelings of freedom experienced in these free footed times. It was almost as if you were no longer earth bound, flying above the towns that whizzed by you next to the highway, as you were riding along in the car away from the routine drudgery of a day to day work life/slavery.

It taught me this. (If nothing else) That you can peel off, and throw away, almost anything, and get away with it, no, actually improve your life.

And:

Time is one of our most precious gifts in this life, and we sell it way too cheaply, just for a few trinkets and the myth of safety.

Time is money, and money is time. Remember that, next time you open up you wallet needlessly. You are selling your life. : ^ (

Peace,
    S9
  • edited December 2009
    I don't really know how to use this forum....
    still haven't figured out how to quote....
    much less employ the cheerful happy faces.....
    but wanted to say "thanks" to Brigid for your kind words
    and the comments of All
    are interesting and keep me coming back for more.

I wonder if Taendjin will return and answer all the inquiries regarding his journey.

S9....what you say about time is so true. How we sell our lives away for a few trinkets and "the myth of safety"...
    I was just visiting my sister in Central Calif. Her community is made up of big houses and wineries with boats and motor homes in every driveway. It seems so odd to me that people will focus on getting money in exchange for the moments of their lives.

On the other hand, my little business has crashed and we are barely scraping by,
    so I'm in the process of creating a another business that might create income. But I do not intend to become so lost in it as to lose too much of my life.

Pathways open up in life, whether or not you have an apartment or not.
    Perhaps being open in your mind to the various options is what is important.

So.....Still Life.....why will you be homeless and where are you going?

Curious Vinyl
  • edited December 2009
    Vinyl Lady,

In my younger days, I never knew if I would end up living under a bridge, one day soon. My boss, who was paying me pennies could step over a line, step on my dignity, and I wasn’t above telling him to “stuff it.”

I guess that is how it is, for a lot of our young folks. So, I bought a tent, and considered that to be my insurance, of sorts, against homelessness. ; ^ )

As silly as that idea may sound to you, when you first hearing it, actually it set my mind at ease. Having that tent was a gentle reminder to me that I could always find a way.

I am really good at getting by on the cheap, and generous with advice, if you hit a wall, as are many of us here. I am sure.

: ^ )

We make our own luck,
    S9
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I would suggest finding a teacher, not going off on some peregrination with no particular point. That's nice if you want a vacation, but if you're serious about studying Buddhism, then I think you would be better off with a teacher. If he/she suggests going on retreat, great. But then at least you would have some direction.

Palzang
  • edited December 2009
    S9....I wrote you a huge reply....
    it took me over an hour....
    (in between I'm watching a coyote who's watching me)
    and doing other things....
    but somewhere along the line it logged me out.
    pffffft!

Perhaps another time.
    VL
  • edited December 2009
    >> peregrination

Wow.
    Good vocabulary word!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Like a peregrin falcon.

Palzang
  • edited December 2009
    VL,

That's okay. : ^ )

Funny thing, I had a wonderful return message I was going to send you, and now I don't have to.

; ^ )

Isn't life a witch?

Lots of love,
    S9
  • edited January 2010
    Never turn away from any possible future until you are absolutely certain that you have nothing to learn from it.

Who is really your teacher?
  • edited January 2010
    Aleph,

Welcome to the Forum.

Everybody I meet, everything I come across, is my teacher; because life is teaching me something all the while. The universe ceaselessly offers up its reality in a multitude of forms... and all I need do is accept it as it comes and see it for what it really is. :)