Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pop Buddha

2»

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Well mostly...
    Love & Peace
    Joe

I hope...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Lol!
  • edited February 2010
    This thread reminded me of those t-shirts that say "I have the body of a god... too bad it's Buddha". Never mind the fact that Buddha wasn't a god, and nor was he fat. :P
    edited February 2010
    That shirt would really annoy me :-/
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited February 2010
    I would like to submit zendough.com as the latest abomination.
    edited February 2010
    Why's it an abmination?
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    BaileyD wrote: »
    I would like to submit zendough.com as the latest abomination.
    Agreed. Our Sangha (Ontario Zen Group) had its name usurped recently by a local marketing company. ......the Zen of Marketing and all that.
    edited February 2010
    Oh, right.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    What's wrong with zendough? That's where you go to meditate on how to get rich...

Palzang
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited February 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    What's wrong with zendough? That's where you go to meditate on how to get rich...

Palzang

you're right, what was I thinking about?:D I'm an American, my only goal in life is to get rich.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I thought this thread was going to be about Siddhartha's father.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Lol!
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    samby wrote: »
    This thread reminded me of those t-shirts that say "I have the body of a god... too bad it's Buddha". Never mind the fact that Buddha wasn't a god, and nor was he fat. :P

Your avatar image reminds me of Edward Monkton's work. Have you seen it?

[img][/img]http://www.optimiced.com/wp-uploads/2007/07/edward-monkton-04-dog.jpg

[img][/img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TLOvU1qno-0/RvCRzlQt7kI/AAAAAAAAAJE/qu0XP-eFi6s/s1600/penquin.jpg

edit: images not working ??
    :lol::lol:
    edited February 2010
    Ye links worketh but ye froze thy's computereth/laptoporobob yah wee hell dE Mon :viking:
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Eep :hiding:
  • edited February 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    Your avatar image reminds me of Edward Monkton's work. Have you seen it?

[img][/img]http://www.optimiced.com/wp-uploads/2007/07/edward-monkton-04-dog.jpg

[img][/img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TLOvU1qno-0/RvCRzlQt7kI/AAAAAAAAAJE/qu0XP-eFi6s/s1600/penquin.jpg

edit: images not working ??
    :lol::lol:

Yeah, I really like Edward Monkton. My avatar might be one of his pictures, I can't actually remember.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Buddha-like Boss Fight (or so the players tend to call it Buddha Boss). He has a mean double vajra power :^0

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z6bC3Fa1xBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z6bC3Fa1xBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
    edited February 2010
    What's all that about?

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Jeez, just saw the "zendough" ad on TV. It is actually kind of blasphemous, in a weird way. Not that there is anything Holy to be blasphemous about .....he he.
  • edited February 2010
    You know, someone could probably make a stellar argument about how little most Americans know about Christianity besides the standard Sunday fables (for those that even attend church), let alone minority religions.

The fact is, despite our best efforts, unless we become some kind of super-religion with free beer and hookers for everyone that listens to an hour of dharma talk, nobody's going to learn the deeper aspects of Buddhism. Except, maybe, through an ABC special, where some people will likely absorb "Oh, the Buddha's actually from India" and that's it. Simple truth, at the moment.

So I'll have to go with all those who say, let's at least be happy our image is positive. Goodness knows that, even among an accepting liberal crowd, you're much better off noting you're a Buddhist than... well, a Muslim, as this thread has shown.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    You're quite right, Mr. Dude, but I also think it doesn't matter so much. Some people like Buddhists, some people don't. Just look at the crazy guy on Faux News dissing Buddhism when talking about how he thought Tiger Woods should clean up his act. There is, of course, a lot of misinformation about Buddhism floating around popular culture. There is also, unfortunately, a whole lot of misinformation floating around about Christianity. I say unfortunate because much of that misinformation is found in so-called Christian churches and coming out of so-called Christian ministers!'

Palzang
    edited March 2010
    The Buddha's from India? I thought he was from Belgium... :p

I bet you some people want the super-religion now LOL :rolleyes:
    When people like some religions and dislike others it can be offensive, so I try to understand religion's point of view on how things should be done, (not the actual raw belief though- well because that's their religion and I don't not-understand in the first place), but stuff like christening I don't fully understand, and I don't like religions that are sexist ext... I like reading about religion anyway, so I can make a fair argument in why I agree/disagree or try to stick up for it and explain the wars and stuff, because lets face it, a rule on any religion I've heard of say: 'though shalt blow thyself up in the London Undergound trying to take as many lives as possible' do they?

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Actually when the Buddha lived there was no such thing as India. Where the Buddha was born and grew up is now called Nepal. Of course, he taught mostly in what is now called India.

The notion that blowing up innocent people is a religious act is about as twisted and degenerate as you can get. No religion would ever teach such a perverted view. And anyway, Buddhism isn't a religion.

Palzang
    edited March 2010
    I know religions don't tell you to blow people up, but powerfull religious leaders twist it their way. Anyway, as to if Buddhism is a religion it depends who you ask...

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited March 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Faux News

Venerable sir, I think you have just made an awesome.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Anupassī wrote: »
    Venerable sir, I think you have just made an awesome.

I'm sorry, I promise to wipe it up before I leave... :D

I have to be honest, I didn't make it up.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    I know religions don't tell you to blow people up, but powerfull religious leaders twist it their way. Anyway, as to if Buddhism is a religion it depends who you ask...

Well, you should ask me cuz I know everything. Oh, btw, my teacher doesn't call it a religion either. But you can call it whatever you like!

As for the leaders who twist religions to their own ends, I have to go with P.T. Barnum. There's a sucker born every minute. It's always dangerous to let someone else think for you.

Palzang
  • edited March 2010
    I think it would be best framed in the style of the suttas.

The student: Venerable sir, is the Dhamma a religion, or a philosophy?

The teacher: Friend, the Dhamma is not a religion.

The Dhamma is not not a religion.

The Dhamma is not a philosophy.

The Dhamma is not not a philosophy.

The Dhamma is neither a religion and a philosophy.

The Dhamma is neither a not-religion and a not-philosophy.

The student: ...then what is it, venerable sir?

The teacher: The way, friend.
    edited March 2010
    Buddhism's just crazy mon *woo woo fire trucks* :D
  • edited March 2010
    Anupassī wrote: »
    I think it would be best framed in the style of the suttas.

The student: Venerable sir, is the Dhamma a religion, or a philosophy?

The teacher: Friend, the Dhamma is not a religion.

The Dhamma is not not a religion.

The Dhamma is not a philosophy.

The Dhamma is not not a philosophy.

The Dhamma is neither a religion and a philosophy.

The Dhamma is neither a not-religion and a not-philosophy.

The student: ...then what is it, venerable sir?

The teacher: The way, friend.

Wow, I love that. :D
  • edited March 2010
    samby wrote: »
    Wow, I love that. :D

Thank you!

Too bad we don't have a smiley for añjali.
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it's something :)