Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ok so, what just happened?

edited December 2009 in Philosophy
This didn't happen during meditiation. I was sitting reading and and I looked up and I dawned on me that there wasn't anything outside of this. This being everything, which I know sounds a bit new age and obvious. But it was a bit like flipping from being completely dissociated with the world, to being very much a part of it. It felt a lot like waking up to the fact that this is real, even though I thought it was real before. But not this real and not this intimate. It really felt like what I was looking for previously (And I didn't think I was looking for anything before) was outside of this here and now, and that here and now is more than enough.

So insight or not? Does this click with any of your experiences? Or should I dig out my straight jacket?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Sounds like a positive development. Do you have a teacher you can talk to about it?
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    Or should I dig out my straight jacket?
    Get one for me too.
  • edited December 2009
    It felt a lot like waking up to the fact that this is real, even though I thought it was real before. But not this real and not this intimate. It really felt like what I was looking for previously (And I didn't think I was looking for anything before) was outside of this here and now, and that here and now is more than enough.

My experience lately seems related to this. For a lack of a better term I would describe it as experiencing the eternal now with time being as illusory as the self. Even though I have thoughts of past and future, these thoughts are happening now. Immediately upon the acknowledgement of these thoughts I return to the present.

Instead of relating to the concept of time, the impact of conditions, change, cause and effect have become the dominant themes within my thoughts.
  • edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    Sounds like a positive development. Do you have a teacher you can talk to about it?

Well I do but I havent approached them yet.

One place thats near me is headed by Kelsang Gyatso who seems to be a big player in the Dorje Shugden thing. And the other is a zen centre who's teacher is Genpo Merzel Roshi, the big mind man. :confused:

I'll find someone one day.
  • edited December 2009
    Well I do but I havent approached them yet.

One place thats near me is headed by Kelsang Gyatso who seems to be a big player in the Dorje Shugden thing. And the other is a zen centre who's teacher is Genpo Merzel Roshi, the big mind man. :confused:

I'll find someone one day.

Have you checked out the Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu?
    He gives retreats via webcast usually every month and he offers the transmission of very profound teachings to anyone who listens, which allows people to establish a teacher/student relationship with him.
    he is an extraordinary teacher and an excellent place to start for people who dont have sangha's immediately available in their location.
    I highly recommend him.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks! I just looked into this and to get to the webcast I have to email this info:
    Video can be given only on request by a Gakyil and in the presence of one of the following conditions:
    1. Community Lings (especially national Lings).
    2. Big groups (over 15 members).
    3. Disability, to members who need video because they are hearing-impaired, for example.
    4. Meritorious membership, to members who are benefactors of the Community and hold meritorious membership in any Gar.

I can't say I understand that.

Assuming this si the website your talking about?

http://www.dzogchencommunity.net/webcast/?Home
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks! I just looked into this and to get to the webcast I have to email this info:
    [/list]
    I can't say I understand that.

Assuming this si the website your talking about?

http://www.dzogchencommunity.net/webcast/?Home

yes.
    you dont have to worry about any of that stuff. that is for the video of the webcasts that are watched in groups at the different sangha locations.
    anyone can listen for free from their home to just about any webcast teaching.
    all you have to do is go to this page ( http://www.dzogchencommunity.net/webcast/?Listen ) and click the audio button at the scheduled time of a live webcast and you should be all set.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks Shenpen! Much Metta! :D
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks Shenpen! Much Metta! :D

you're welcome.
    Chogyal Namkhai Norbu is really a wonderful teacher.
    He gives all of the tools necessary for students to authentically embark on the practice of Dzogchen.
    He is extremely skillful and generous.
  • edited December 2009
    you're welcome.
    He gives all of the tools necessary for students to authentically embark on the practice of Dzogchen.

If I'm honest I'm pretty clueless in terms of the Tibeten side of things. Part of me feels that it's very different from the Zen practice which is what I'm used to. But then again as I said, I'm clueless. So Im gonna give it a try or two or three.

The biggest middle ground I've found has come from the body scan from "The Mindfull way through Depression" which was recommended by somebody here. (Much thanks to you)

Blah blah, just ranting now.

Thanks again, Shenpen!
  • edited December 2009
    also found these guys for you, they are Nyingma...never been though:)

http://www.padmaling.org.uk/group-meetings
  • edited December 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Get one for me too.

I'm knitting one for you now. I hope pink is ok!
  • edited December 2009
    If I'm honest I'm pretty clueless in terms of the Tibeten side of things. Part of me feels that it's very different from the Zen practice which is what I'm used to. But then again as I said, I'm clueless. So Im gonna give it a try or two or three.

The biggest middle ground I've found has come from the body scan from "The Mindfull way through Depression" which was recommended by somebody here. (Much thanks to you)

Blah blah, just ranting now.

Thanks again, Shenpen!
    I think you will like the Dzogchen approach and the way that ChNN teaches it.
    Its very approachable, open, and practical.
    and it will help explain the experience you had.
  • edited December 2009
    Fenrir wrote: »
    also found these guys for you, they are Nyingma...never been though:)

http://www.padmaling.org.uk/group-meetings

their good too.
    I would love to meet Namkha Drimed Rinpoche.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Dzogchen and Zen share many characteristics, at least the way I learned them.
  • edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    Dzogchen and Zen share many characteristics, at least the way I learned them.

this is true, the basic principles are similar.
    they each have their own unique practices though.
    For instance, Dzogchen has many different yogic techniques that are usually only taught to trusted and committed students. These techniques are taken directly from the Dzogchen tantras.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I'm knitting one for you now. I hope pink is ok!
    Can I get that with a Hello Kitty?

There's an online Zen sangha here:
    blog.beliefnet.com.treeleafzen/
    I've never watched. I don't know anything about it except that it's Soto.

Also, the Mountains and Rivers Order maintains a cybermonk e-mail address. You can e-mail questions and get answers. More info here:
    www.mro.org/zmm/teachings
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    you're welcome.

Ah i see so are you a student of his if so it would explain why you are the way you are :cool:
  • edited December 2009
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Ah i see so are you a student of his if so it would explain why you are the way you are :cool:

sort of.
    i have taken teachings from him but he isnt "my teacher".
    and out of curiousity, how am I?
  • edited December 2009
    This didn't happen during meditiation. I was sitting reading and and I looked up and I dawned on me that there wasn't anything outside of this. This being everything, which I know sounds a bit new age and obvious. But it was a bit like flipping from being completely dissociated with the world, to being very much a part of it. It felt a lot like waking up to the fact that this is real, even though I thought it was real before. But not this real and not this intimate. It really felt like what I was looking for previously (And I didn't think I was looking for anything before) was outside of this here and now, and that here and now is more than enough.

So insight or not? Does this click with any of your experiences? Or should I dig out my straight jacket?

its one of those realisations that you think is amazing and life changing, then after a while youre back to the way you were before. Ive had loads of them, its annoyin.