Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist motorcyclist dilemma

edited January 2010 in General Banter
Ill start off with saying I love my motorcycle. Ever since I was a child, before practicing buddhism, I always wanted one and now I finally have one I cant seem to part with it to further my spiritual growth. What should I do? Both are equally important to me

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited December 2009
    You don't need to part with it to further your spiritual growth... why would you need to do that? Only monks don't have possessions.

Motorcycling is very spiritual anway. Look at Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintainance... not much about zen, but very spiritual.
  • edited December 2009
    I entirely agree with James the Giant.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Yup, I really don't think giving up your motorcycle's going to accomplish anything for you. However, if you really are determined to get rid of it, I will be happy to give it a good home :D
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    However, if you really are determined to get rid of it, I will be happy to give it a good home :D
    You'll have to give it regular exercise, or it will become depressed.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Well Tom, welcome to the club. I've been a biker for over 50 years... ain't gonna change that. And I heartily agree with James The Giant, it is a very spiritual pursuit! Here's a couple of my bikes over the years... if you have to have an attachment, this one's not so bad... Hehehehe...

http://members.northrock.bm/~lcenter/MotorCycles.html

Les
  • edited December 2009
    Thank you! I felt silly doing this but I've been researching Buddhism and wasn't sure if they enjoyment of riding could be in conflict with the spirit of this philosophy. However, I think that my compassion will be questioned each time someone nearly runs me over!

Anyway, glad to eavesdrop on this conversation and I don't need to get rid of my ride!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2009
    myla296 wrote: »
    However, I think that my compassion will be questioned each time someone nearly runs me over!

That it will!!!! And not only that, but Right Speech and Right Action!!! :)
  • edited December 2009
    "I cant seem to part with it to further my spiritual growth"

I have always found that riding a motorcycle is an aid to spiritual growth. Don't you feel more relaxed & fulfilled when you get home? I do, that's partly why I ride.
  • edited December 2009
    Ill start off with saying I love my motorcycle. Ever since I was a child, before practicing buddhism, I always wanted one and now I finally have one I cant seem to part with it to further my spiritual growth. What should I do? Both are equally important to me

If your spiritual growth is worth the same to you as a motorcycle, than it is time to put away the motorcycle and work on your spiritual growth.
  • edited January 2010

Haven't you read Robert M Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motocycle Maintenance"? Oh well, maybe I'm showing my age. Anyway, here's a story I heard once. I'm not too good at retelling stories but hopefully you'll get the gist:

Once there was a king who was sitting in the gardens of one of his palaces being instructed by a Buddhist monk. As the monk was instructing the king, one of the king's aides approched him running and out of breath he blurted out "Come sire quickly! Your palace is burning down!". The king turned to the servant and scolded him: "Can't you see I am busy? You go and deal with that trivial matter". And the Buddhist monk exclaimed: "But my bowl is in that palace!".

So, just to make the point bluntly, it's not what you own that matters, but how you think about it.

Enjoy Motorcycling!

Vangelis
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I still ride mine...

I have no problems with attachment.

Except for the GPS one that keeps falling off.

--bf
    4.jpg 126.8K
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I agree and I think you can't go wrong. Even if you become attached to the motorcycle and obsess it would just be an opportunity to have first hand rather than a theoretical exposure to an attachment. Direct experience could be a good teacher in conjunction with the support of the triple gem of buddha dharma and sangha.

If a motorcycle were exceptionally perilous and harmful I would not say that... ie drugs will give you an oportunity to reflect on suffering..