Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Killing of beasts

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Ok, I outside and the misquitos were really extermly bad.I was flicking them of my arms and legs trying not to kill them thinking of ``do not kill-man or beast``.I was wondering if a misquito or flys(or hehe walks) would count as beasts or just annoyences?Same with other bugs.What about accidentle(accidental? sorry i am not a good speller) deaths, like one of a frog or toad who jumped under the tire of an atv and you were not able to stop in time? Or household pets like mice and ants that destory your home?

Comments

• edited July 2005
    argh iam very sorry i did not know that there was already a thread like this opened.
    my apoligies(apoliegies?)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    still some good points you brought up (about things that destroy our property) that I don't believe was in the other posts.

you know, i once saw a show on india (done by PBS - I believe it was called Land Of The Tiger - awesome documentary) where they were talking about people dying in india.

a lot of people in india don't believe in killing. so much so, that when cobras and such enter their homes - they don't kill them. they don't even remove them. just like they don't direct cattle or monkeys what to do.

thus, there are many deaths from someone putting their hand under a bed or blanket and ZAP!, they get bit and die.

now how hardcore is THAT!?!?!?!

michael
  • edited July 2005
    That is definitely hardcore! Heck, I even move spiders out of my house. Mainly to put them in our garden, but I just don't really want them in the house! I do, however, have snakes and lizards in the house! :) My hubby has some pet lizards and a few snakes that like to escape a lot. We don't have anything venemous , though.
    edited July 2005
    you're a better person than I am, ym.

although... my son did have a pet tarantula for awhile. that was odd... going and buying crickets for it to eat. now... who's getting the bad karma on that one. me for buying the crickets - or petey "the spider" for eating them!?!?!

michael
  • edited July 2005
    I think about that a lot when my husband is buying crickets and worms to feed to his "pets". And the other night, we were sitting outside and we watched this huge spider build his web, and then my husband decided to catch a moth to throw in the spider's web for him to eat. Now is that bad karma or is it good since we were helping the spider?? When my husband did that, he laughed and said "Sorry if this moth was your great-great-great grandmother!". :)
    edited July 2005
    That's funny.

I just with it were my ex!

Ooops.... did I say that out loud?

Michael
  • edited July 2005
    Now is that bad karma?? Wishing it was your ex wife?? Or maybe it's just bad karma if you were to feed her to a spider!
  • edited July 2005
    That is hardcore, now iam going to be scaired(scarered,scraed...i dunno cant spell to good in english now)to put my hand under my bed or under a blanket!!!!even though i live in north america....hehe im peranoid
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    I think about that a lot when my husband is buying crickets and worms to feed to his "pets". And the other night, we were sitting outside and we watched this huge spider build his web, and then my husband decided to catch a moth to throw in the spider's web for him to eat. Now is that bad karma or is it good since we were helping the spider?? When my husband did that, he laughed and said "Sorry if this moth was your great-great-great grandmother!". :)

It may not be our job to help the spider. It ight be our job to leave the spider to itself. I vote for a little bit of bad karma.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2005
    At our temple in Maryland there is a little store not far down the road that sells, among other things, fishing bait. On the main Buddhist holidays we would go to the store and buy all the worms (or night crawlers, as we call them) and release them into the wild. Virtuous activity is said to be multiplied 10 million times on these days. So the rumor started around the little town near us (Poolesville) that this strange Buddhist cult sacrificed worms! Ah well, I guess if the intention is good...

BTW, they don't think that anymore. Now they rather like us!

Palzang
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I am gonna tell my mum that! LOL! That is so funny. But also good.