Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Meaning of Being Mindful

edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Can someone please explain to me what it really means to be "mindful"? I am reading a book right now that said "practice being mindful for at least 30-60 minutes every day". What exactly does that mean? Does it mean to meditate that long every day? I think there is mroe to it than that, I am just not sure what!

That's definitely a newbie question, huh? :vimp: (I am not sure what that icon means...I just think it is cute)

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    (Here Thanissaro Bhikkhu is refereing to breathing meditation)

"As you do this, you develop three qualities of mind. One is mindfulness (sati). The term mindfulness means being able to remember, to keep something in mind. In the case of establishing the body as a frame of reference, it means being able to remember where you're supposed to be -- with the body -- and you don't let yourself forget. The second quality, alertness (sampajañña), means being aware of what is actually going on in the present. Are you with the body? Are you with the breath? Is the breath comfortable? Simply notice what's actually happening in the present moment. We tend to confuse mindfulness with alertness, but actually they are two separate things: mindfulness means being able to remember where you want to keep your awareness; alertness means being aware of what's actually happening. The third quality, ardency (atappa), means two things. One, if you realize that the mind has wandered off, you bring it right back. Immediately. You don't let it wander around, sniffing the flowers. Two, when the mind is with its proper frame of reference, ardency means trying to be as sensitive as possible to what's going on -- not just drifting in the present moment, but really trying to penetrate more and more into the subtle details of what's actually happening with the breath or the mind."

Taken from the Path of Concentration http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/concmind.html
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    When a parent sees a child walking along the top of a wall, she may call out, "Mind what you're doing, darling!"

Mindfulness is focused attention. For much of our lives, we fly on autopilot, 'multitasking' with no single action fully occupying our attention. There are a number of results of this fracturing of attention. The most serious is that it has become a habit. It is an addiction. When I first started meditation practice, it was as hard as giving up cigarettes to sit for any length of time and keep my attention on a single thing.

The child on the top of the wall has focused all attention on the task in hand; may not even hear the parent voice or notice anything but the wall to be walked. That is mindfulness. IMHO
  • edited July 2005
    When you get to work and realize you don't even remember driving there, it's a sign you're being unmindful. For me, being mindful is paying attention - to myself, to others, to the world around me. Furthermore, it means understanding how my actions affect things (including myself) and using that knowledge to make good choices.
  • edited July 2005
    For much of our lives, we fly on autopilot, 'multitasking' with no single action fully occupying our attention.

As long as you are aware and mindful of your multitasking then I believe it is still good practice. The key is to be awake.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    For most of my life I always had a problem with how people had no attention to what they were doing. Now I know I was just being mindful of things. Now I am working on the tasks that I am not mindful. I find that a lot of people are not very mindful while driving. Or they do not know all the rules or don't care. It's frustrating sometimes while at work. I just shake my head and try and control my temper. I stopped yelling at other drivers years ago so now I just grumble to myself.

At work I am the most unmindful. All I want to do is escape. I am on autopilot while there. When I get behind, which is hardly ever, I switch to mindful mode and I get things done faster. I have been getting better at being mindful while working on my house. I have been getting more done lately. I do sometimes want things to move faster but I have to wait because of my bad back. My back is something I have to be very mindful of. If I do not I might hurt myself again.

:vimp: This is a little pimpdaddy, sucka!!!!!!!!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    It may be useful to reflect on the words of the Anguttara Nikaya:
    A Tathagata (i.e a Buddha) is a seer of what is to be seen, but he is not mindful (na mannati, or does not conceive) of the seen, the unseen, the seeable, or the seer. So too with the heard, the sensed and the known: he does not think of them in these categories.

'Mindfulness' as an outcome is as empty and deceptive as any other 'goal'.
  • edited August 2005
    Thanks everyone. You have all been a big help, and after reading your posts, I realize that I already did know what being mindful meant, it's just that the book confused me when the author said to practice ebing mindful 30-60 minutes a day, and I was wondering why I shouldn't practice being mindful ALL day? Maybe that is a good starting point for people that have been on autopilot their whole life!

Comic - thanks for telling me what that little icon was, sucka! I pity the fool that don't know what that is! Oh wait, that would be me!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    (what's a pimpdaddy?)
  • edited August 2005
    federica wrote:
    (what's a pimpdaddy?)

Imagine Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch. That's a Pimpdaddy !
  • edited August 2005
    Frizzer wrote:
    Imagine Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch. That's a Pimpdaddy !

That's sooooo funny! Perfect explanation!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    A pimpdaddy has to take care of his hoes. I wonder if Simon had a pimpdaddy?
  • edited February 2006
    [my theory]
    being mindful is..

...being aware of the moment... what you are doing... what you are experiencing..

...the use of it is to enable us to... 1. concentrate.. 2. see the truth of reality...
  • edited February 2006
    Mindfulness is often confused with watching yourself, or holding something in the mind, which it isn't. Rather than focussing on something to the exclusion of other things, it's coming back again and again to opening up. It's far more subtle than might at first be assumed. This might be of interest:

Lineage by Ven. Jinmyo Renge osho
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Thanks, Genryu. That was a great resource. I was just researching a White Wind Zen community about an hour away from where I live. I was thinking I might go and sit with them sometime. There is also a Shambhala community in the same city and I might go there and see what it's like while I'm in the city.

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    From what I've seen of the WWZC, they have a very strong model of practice and the talks that I've come across from some of their teachers have a clarity that isn't often found in some Zen centers in the West today. Also, they have established a long distance training program that I wish more Zen temples and centers would emulate. And they have a stringent process for encouraging (or discouraging as appropriate) those who seek to train. That can be somewhat daunting, but it's actually necessary and it's good to see the traditional barriers being reinterpreted and made to come to life again. Traditionally in Japan this would have consisted of the prospective student being told that he or she is too old, or too fat or too thin or too young to enter the temple, that the teacher is too bad tempered or too old or too fat to teach or somesuch. Then either the student goes away or they stay and actually put themselves on the line.

As an aside, for me, not yet being transmitted and thus having a considerable amount of leeway I wouldn't otherwise have - it's easy - when people turn up to sit I make them clean, tell them to view the activity of the children as part of their zazen, and that I'm a miserable git who just sits and that's all I offer. So far that's been a resounding success, with only three people sitting here with some dedication, particularly when I remind newcomers that I also sit at 5 am and that they're most welcome to come and sit with me at that time if they feel that any other time is too late for them. I also point out that there's a Zen temple a few miles a way that does all sorts of nice family days and ceremonies for children and what not. :D
  • edited February 2006
    When I was a Zen Buddhist practitioner in Vietnam, The teacher teach me the Kung-an method. Remmember your Original Face in all you do in daily lives........whether riding bicycle or havresting rice. Alway remmenber the Original Face like a mouse trying to chew its way out of a coffin, as some said in Zen literatures.

Now, there is a trick to the Kung-an method. Master Thich Duy Luc said that the Kung-an (Koan) is just any words or questions, but the best is to put the Kung-an in term of an "unanswerable" question, like: "what is your face before your great granparent were born?". Or "Before heaven and earth were created, what was I?".
    Keep thinking about these "unanswerable" Kung-ans, dont try to visualize or try to answer them..........but let the "doubt" rises.

These questions seem "illogical" but not really..... they are super-logical if you ask me. These questions force a person into a non-referencing mode of mind where "doubt" occupy the thoughts, so the person dont think about mundanities objects....... but only think about the Kung-an.

And in order to practice Buddhism for real, is to see Right View, Right View is the forerunner to all the rest 7 Right Views. Just like if you want to find the elephant you have to know what the elephant look like first, same in Buddhism...................the Kung-an was designed for you to see what Buddhism is in its own Light and that way you can find the Buddhist elephant too..........nothing can decribe it.

Hope I have not wasted any of your time reading this.

regards,

Nam
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    dear Brigid,
    i noticed that you quote Johan Von Goethe.

Many years ago I went on a cruise down the Rhine with my parents. We visited many towns and cities along the river- one place (maybe Heidleberg????) i stood in the same place where Goethe had stood-i had no fricking idea of who he was but my mother said I should feel priveledged to have stood where he once did-oh well. just thought I'd emphasise my Ignorance.

catch ya
    Xrayman
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    That's pretty cool, Xrayman! You're mother was smart. Goethe was a great thinker and put beautiful things into beautiful words.

NamThien2006,

I found that to be very helpful and not a waste of my time at all. In fact, I've reread it and will try to keep it in my mind as much as possible. I remember when I was a child I tried to imagine myself before I was born and all I saw was empty blackness. Not a bad blackness, just nothing there. I don't why I did this. It must have been in response to something someone had said, but I don't remember the circumstances. But I used to do this regularly and it made me laugh. I will think of the Original Face more often.

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    When you get to work and realize you don't even remember driving there, it's a sign you're being unmindful. For me, being mindful is paying attention - to myself, to others, to the world around me. Furthermore, it means understanding how my actions affect things (including myself) and using that knowledge to make good choices.

I am curently reading "How to Practice" by the Dalai Lama and this idea of mindfulness was part of what I was reading this morning. I guess that it is an essential part of Buddhism. DharmaKitten's words reflected the reading - being aware of the world and making choices about my behaviour, thoughts, and feelings. Even when circumstances seem out of my control, I have choices about how I respond to those circumstances.

Other posts on this site have suggested the importance of a teacher who is challenging, much like how challenging circumstances require us to use our internal resources to get through things. A challenging teacher encourages us to move out of our comfort zone.

The DL states (p. 75): Enemies provide us some of the best opportunities to practice patience, tolerance, and compassion I was comforted to read this this morning as it challenges me to reframe some circumstances at work. There are some challenging personalities who tend to stir the pot and get people feeling insecure, including myself at times. I have been getting caught in this unsettledness. I am going to concentrate on using the experience to practice tolerance, compassion, and patience.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    We are faced with the internal struggle, every time we are confronted with the challenge, of succumbing to our instinctive habitual reactions. Armed with the new knowledge - the blossoming awareness of "Right Everything" - we become more and more capable of maintaining our dignified silence just a while longer.
    I have found to my cost, the perils and pitfalls of mirroring the words and actions of "my enemies".... (perception perception perception...!)

In contrast, I have also known and experienced the multitude of rewards strewn at my feet, when succesfully embracing hostility, and finding it thus transformed into friendship.

It works.
  • edited February 2006
    Mindfulness my ass! I was so busy practicing being mindful - I am walking up the stairs, my foot is on the stair, my hand is on the rail, my hip is moving .................... I walked into someone coming in the opposite direction!
  • edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    That's pretty cool, Xrayman! You're mother was smart. Goethe was a great thinker and put beautiful things into beautiful words.

NamThien2006,

I found that to be very helpful and not a waste of my time at all. In fact, I've reread it and will try to keep it in my mind as much as possible. I remember when I was a child I tried to imagine myself before I was born and all I saw was empty blackness. Not a bad blackness, just nothing there. I don't why I did this. It must have been in response to something someone had said, but I don't remember the circumstances. But I used to do this regularly and it made me laugh. I will think of the Original Face more often.

Brigid

Hello there Brigid,

The trick as master teach me back in Vietnam years ago about the Kung-an is to raise "doubt". I once had problem like you describe because I relate (link) the Original Face with the present day physical body. For example we believe that before this physical body is born, it was nothing.

I would like to go deeper in theory to explain better to you what I mean about the Original Face.

You know when the mother carry a child, it is growing mass in actuality. We know something is supplying the real "energy" to grow the fetus. A Scottish philosopher whose name is Andrew Baxter theorized that there is "immaterial mover of matters" that is give manifestation of growing mass we human perceive.

In Buddhism, especially in Zen Buddhism, the Lankavatara Sutra profoundedly explain the about this "immaterial mover of matters". It says that all things are born out of this substance, even our thoughts (also the 5 aggregates) are born out of it. And it also says that while this substance give rise to phenomenon, it remain free of the phenomenon destruction.

Think of it as a clear pool of calm water, so clear that you can not see the water. Then the vortex appear in water, then we see the vortex AND we know there is something there called water that support that vortex. Just like the present of gravity, we know it is there because the apple fall from the tree.

So, birth and death, born and decay.......these are like the vortex in the water and Buddhist should be indifferent to them, as our goal is to find the real "substance" (the theorized water) that support it.

Nam
    edited February 2006
    NamThien2006, Brigid, all,

Not all Buddhist traditions would agree with this. I am not simply trying to disagree with you here, but the Pali Canon does not promote any such idea. I feel that it is important to mention the differences merely for the sake clarification. That particular idea, while it may be found in places like the Lankavatara Sutra, is directly contradicted in the Mulapariyaya Sutta. Nibbana is not a "source" or "ground" from which phenomena arise. The Buddha instead points one back to the "root" of ignorance. An excerpt from the translator's introduction states as follows:
    Although at present we rarely think in the same terms as the Samkhya philosophers, there has long been — and still is — a common tendency to create a "Buddhist" metaphysics in which the experience of emptiness, the Unconditioned, the Dharma-body, Buddha-nature, rigpa, etc., is said to function as the ground of being from which the "All" — the entirety of our sensory & mental experience — is said to spring and to which we return when we meditate. Some people think that these theories are the inventions of scholars without any direct meditative experience, but actually they have most often originated among meditators, who label (or in the words of the discourse, "perceive") a particular meditative experience as the ultimate goal, identify with it in a subtle way (as when we are told that "we are the knowing"), and then view that level of experience as the ground of being out of which all other experience come.

Just some food for thought.

:)

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Thank you, Nam and Elohim.

I'm afraid it's still too subtle for me.
    It's a higher level of understanding that I haven't reached yet.
    But I'll get there someday and, if I can, I'll tell you as soon as I do.

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    NamThien2006, Brigid, all,

Not all Buddhist traditions would agree with this. I am not simply trying to disagree with you here, but the Pali Canon does not promote any such idea. I feel that it is important to mention the differences merely for the sake clarification. That particular idea, while it may be found in places like the Lankavatara Sutra, is directly contradicted in the Mulapariyaya Sutta. Nibbana is not a "source" or "ground" from which phenomena arise. The Buddha instead points one back to the "root" of ignorance. An excerpt from the translator's introduction states as follows:

Just some food for thought.

Jason

The Mulapariyaya Sutta basically says that clinging to wrong views is the major cause of suffering. What is wrong view? it is the view that the 5 aggregates are self, that is all.
    Buddha say in Middle Agamas:

"The learned disciple not contemplate form as the self, form as
    belonging to the self, and does not attach to form. When form changes,
    his consciousness does not turn along and does not stand in adhering to
    it [form]. When he does not stand in adhering to it, it does not stand
    mastering his mind."

That why there is Noble 8th Fold Path that starts with Right View. What is Right View? it is the view that the Light of Mind is the ultimate leader of all phenomenon, and when it is discovered, one spend his/her whole life in search of it.

That is why the rest 7 Noble Path are there to "enlarge" the first view. Like prying open the gate and let more Light in.

Nibbana, btw, according to the Nirvana Sutra, is the Essence of the Self. Its Essence is tranquil but potent. It is the Dharma-dhatu that many Buddhists are taught. So Nirvana and the Self are quite interchangable. But think of it, once again as a clear pool of water or the ocean where birth and death and all phenomenon are mere waves on the surface. You see ocean never change state, only its modality (the waves) manifests.

Regards,

Uncle Nam
  • edited February 2006
    Watch it Nam - your English in that last paragraph was perfect. You're slipping!
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    Watch it Nam - your English in that last paragraph was perfect. You're slipping!

shhhhhhhh :)
  • edited February 2006
    I know - rotten spoilsport ain't I?
    edited February 2006
    NamThien2006,

Hey, I could always be wrong about a lot of the things that I say. I am still learning myself, so nothing I say is the absolute authority on what the Buddha actually taught. However, I feel that my understanding is adequate enough to at least post in a Buddhist forum. After all:
    The gift of Dhamma excels all gifts; the taste of the Dhamma excels all tastes; the delight in Dhamma excels all delights. The Craving-Freed vanquishes all suffering. - Dhp XXIV v.354

Anyway, I guess I simply do not interpret this Sutta the same way that you do. You are certainly correct about one thing--the Mulapariyaya Sutta basically says that clinging to wrong views is the major cause of suffering. However, as far as your previous post is concerned, this line spoken by the Buddha clearly refutes your assertion that this substance [Nirvana] gives rise to phenomena. One free from delusion [arahant] does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding:
    "He directly knows Unbinding as Unbinding. Directly knowing Unbinding as Unbinding, he does not conceive things about Unbinding, does not conceive things in Unbinding, does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding, does not conceive Unbinding as 'mine,' does not delight in Unbinding. Why is that? Because, with the ending of delusion, he is devoid of delusion, I tell you.

He also goes on to say that he himself [Tathagata] does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding:
    He directly knows Unbinding as Unbinding. Directly knowing Unbinding as Unbinding, he does not conceive things about Unbinding, does not conceive things in Unbinding, does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding, does not conceive Unbinding as 'mine,' does not delight in Unbinding. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has comprehended it to the end, I tell you.

If this substance really gave rise to phenomenon, I am sure that the Buddha would have mentioned it. I would also have to disagree that Nibbana and the Self are quite interchangable [due to the above quote, as well as other things]. For example, the Buddha taught in the Dhammapada that:
    "All conditioned things are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

"All conditioned things are unsatisfactory" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

"All things are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

"Sabbe dhamma dukkha" (All conditioned phenomena are unsatisfactory), "Sabbe sankhara anicca" (All conditioned phenomena are impermanent), and "Sabbe dhamma anatta" (All things are not-self). The important part here is that the first two say sankhara (conditioned), which would include things like the five aggregates, but the last one says dhamma, which includes everything, inluding Nibbana [so it is said by some at least] since it is not conditioned. Regardless of what it may say in the Nirvana Sutra, there is also ample evidence to the contrary. I am simply offering that evidence. People may make of it as they wish. What I am positive about, though, is:
    "Extinction of greed, extinction of hate, extinction of delusion: this is called Nibbána" S. XXXVIII. 1

May we all experience this unsurpassable freedom.

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    NamThien2006,

Hey, I could always be wrong about a lot of the things that I say. I am still learning myself, so nothing I say is the absolute authority on what the Buddha actually taught. However, I feel that my understanding is adequate enough to at least post in a Buddhist forum. After all:

Anyway, I guess I simply do not interpret this Sutta the same way that you do. You are certainly correct about one thing--the Mulapariyaya Sutta basically says that clinging to wrong views is the major cause of suffering. However, as far as your previous post is concerned, this line spoken by the Buddha clearly refutes your assertion that this substance [Nirvana] gives rise to phenomena. One free from delusion [arahant] does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding:

He also goes on to say that he himself [Tathagata] does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding:

If this substance really gave rise to phenomenon, I am sure that the Buddha would have mentioned it. I would also have to disagree that Nibbana and the Self are quite interchangable [due to the above quote, as well as other things]. For example, the Buddha taught in the Dhammapada that:

"Sabbe dhamma dukkha" (All conditioned phenomena are unsatisfactory), "Sabbe sankhara anicca" (All conditioned phenomena are impermanent), and "Sabbe dhamma anatta" (All things are not-self). The important part here is that the first two say sankhara (conditioned), which would include things like the five aggregates, but the last one says dhamma, which includes everything, inluding Nibbana [so it is said by some at least] since it is not conditioned. Regardless of what it may say in the Nirvana Sutra, there is also ample evidence to the contrary. I am simply offering that evidence. People may make of it as they wish. What I am positive about, though, is:

May we all experience this unsurpassable freedom.

Jason

Jason, I have to disagree with your interpretation about the quote: "All things are not-self", things in Pali often denote with the little word "dhamma". But Buddhist scholars agree that there is big word "Dhamma" which stands for the Teaching of Buddha.

The word dhamma mean simply "things" which I am sure the Buddha meant "matter". It does not include Nibbana since Nibbana is really Unmade, then how can it be a "thing". It (Nibbana) is not a state of mind (mind modalities) either. This is what I found in the Majjhima Nikaya, (Ariyapariyesana Sutta 26.12):

"And what is the noble search? Here someone being himself subject to birth, having understood the danger in what is subject to birth, seeks the unborn supreme security from bondage, Nibbana; being himself subject to aging, having understood the danger in what is subject to aging, he seeks the unageing supreme security from bondage, Nibbana;"

So according to the above quote, one can draw a conclusion that Nibbana is a positive state, and real. Also, when people go for refuge, they really seek refuge in the Buddha-Dharma "body", not the flesh. There is nothing to seek in the flesh but sufferings. But the worst belief of all is the believe in No-self. According to the Alagaddupama Sutta 22.16, it says the No-self is precisely the aggregates!

Regards,

Nambo
  • edited February 2006
    The word dhamma mean simply "things"

No, no, no, no, no! The word 'dhamma' means "truth". In the days when the Buddha was alive, before "Buddhism"; the 'followers' were called 'Dhammists': "followers of truth".
    edited February 2006
    NamThian2006,

The word "dhamma" is not so limited as to restrict it simply to "matter".
    dhamma: (1) Event; a phenomenon in and of itself; (2) mental quality; (3) doctrine, teaching; (4) nibbana. Also, principles of behavior that human beings ought to follow so as to fit in with the right natural order of things; qualities of mind they should develop so as to realize the inherent quality of the mind in and of itself. By extension, "Dhamma" (usu. capitalized) is used also to denote any doctrine that teaches such things. Thus the Dhamma of the Buddha denotes both his teachings and the direct experience of nibbana, the quality at which those teachings are aimed.
    dhamma: lit. the 'bearer', constitution (or nature of a thing), norm, law (jus), doctrine; justice, righteousness; quality; thing, object of mind (s. āyatana) 'phenomenon'. In all these meanings the word 'dhamma' is to be met with in the texts.

The Com. to D. instances 4 applications of this term

guna (quality, virtue),
    desanā (instruction),
    pariyatti (text),
    nijjīvatā (soullessness, e.g. "all dhammā, phenomena, are impersonal," etc.).
    The Com. to Dhs. has hetu (condition) instead of desanā.

Thus, the analytical knowledge of the law (s. patisambhidā) is explained in Vis.M. XIV. and in Vibh. as hetumhi-ñāna, knowledge of the conditions.

The Dhamma, as the liberating law discovered and proclaimed by the Buddha, is summed up in the 4 Noble Truths (s. sacca). It forms one of the 3 Gems (ti-ratana) and one of the 10 recollections (anussati).

Dhamma, as object of mind (dhammāyatana, s. āyatana) may be anything past, present or future, corporeal or mental, conditioned or not (cf. sankhāra, 4), real or imaginary.

That is precisly why it isn't just the word "sankhara" that is used here.

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    NamThian2006,

The word "dhamma" is not so limited as to restrict it simply to "matter".

That is precisly why it isn't just the word "sankhara" that is used here.

Jason

Could be, I am not a Pali scholars, what I really should say is "heaps"...or "lumps" instead of matter. But I was told to take the Pali word contextually like you just lump up a group of perceived object and subject and call it "dhamma" (not big "Dhamma"). You got the idea.

Nam
    edited February 2006
    So according to the above quote, one can draw a conclusion that Nibbana is a positive state, and real.

NamThien2006,

One can draw a conclusion that Nibbana is a positive state, but one can also draw a conclusion that Nibbana [lit. to cease blowing, to become extinguished, unbinding] is a negative state as well. It is the absence of avijja after all. But, in truth, it really is neither. It lies beyond range, so to have any idea or position about Nibbana is really missing the point, isn't it?
    "Monks, I will teach you the All. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range."

- SN XXXV.23

In my opinion, the worst belief of all is the belief in a "self", no matter how pretty sounding it may be. It is such beliefs that trap beings in the endless rounds of rebirth. To have a view of Nibbana as being a "self" is equally as unskillful as having a view of the aggregates as being a "self". It is such views url=http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/s_t/sakkaaya_ditthi.htm]sakkaya-ditthi[/url that one must abandon to become a stream-enterer.

Jason
    edited February 2006
    Could be, I am not a Pali scholars, what I really should say is "heaps"...or "lumps" instead of matter. But I was told to take the Pali word contextually like you just lump up a group of perceived object and subject and call it "dhamma" (not big "Dhamma"). You got the idea.

Nam

Nam,

Then why wouldn't they have simply used "khandha" (heap, group, aggregate) or "sankhara" (formation, compound, fabrication)?

:confused:

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    Small 'd' dhamma sure has alot of different meanings. How can it mean both 'mental quality' and 'Nibbana'?
    edited February 2006
    Nam,

I was thinking, we can also use some simple logic to help solve the question of whether or not Nibbana is a self [from a Theravadin standpoint at least]. The word "dhamma" basically means "all things that exist". So, if Nibbana is real in the sense that it is a positive state, it would have to "exist". "Sabbe dhamma anatta" means that "All things that exist are not-self". By this statement, Nibbana would not be a self. If, however, Nibbana is not real in the sense that it is not a positive state, it would not "exist". In that case, how could it be a self if it didn't "exist"? That just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. So, no matter "what" Nibbana may be, it is not-self.

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Nam,

I was thinking, we can also use some simple logic to help solve the question of whether or not Nibbana is a self [from a Theravadin standpoint at least]. The word "dhamma" basically means "all things that exist". So, if Nibbana is real in the sense that it is a positive state, it would have to "exist". "Sabbe dhamma anatta" means that "All things that exist are not-self". By this statement, Nibbana would not be a self. If, however, Nibbana is not real in the sense that it is not a positive state, it would not "exist". In that case, how could it be a self if it didn't "exist"? That just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. So, no matter "what" Nibbana may be, it is not-self.

Jason

I dont want to make the problem complicated. But I think you conceptuallizing "Nibbana" from the standpoint of typical human comprehendion.

Just like one live in the cave and he/she associate everything that is in the cave.....of course if Nibbana is discussed in the cave, then that would be a still a mental image being discussed, then it would be classified as a 'dhamma'.

That is why there is meditation practice in Buddhism, it is a 'neccesity' as without practice we can not test the Buddha theory out. And Buddha had indeed ask us to scrutinize his Teachings wholeheartedly, but he at the same time, ask us to put his theory to the test.

That is why the Zen Buddhism teaching is not so easily grasped. As in order to see 'real' Nibbana, you can not use the aggregates body to find it, because Nibbana is NOT an aggregates. One has to use one own "light" to find it.

That is why one should know the principle that give rise to the matter, it animates their hand and feet and their thoughts too.

Regards,

Namfu
  • edited February 2006
    ...from The Sermon at Rajagaha

"Now attend and listen:
    The senses meet the object and from their contact sensation is born.
    Thence results recollection.
    Thus, as the sun's power through a burning-glass causes fire to appear,
    so through the cognizance born of sense and object,
    the mind originates and with it the ego, the thought of self,
    whom some Brahman teachers call the lord.
    The shoot springs from the seed;
    the seed is not the shoot,
    both are not one and the same,
    but successive phases in a continuous growth. Such is the birth of animated life.

edited February 2006
    Nam,

I do not think that the matter is complicated at all. It seems quite simple.

I agree that Nibbana is beyond conceptualization, however, what you have said simply weasels around what the Buddha himself taught in the Suttas. When he said "Sabbe dhamma anatta", he was saying that all things existant are not-self. That is very simple and straightforward. If Nibbana exists, as you have said that it does, then it too would be not-self regardless of whatever the actual experience of it may be. Using the Kalama Sutta in this instance does not change the actual teachings on the matter.

I agree that one should know the principles that give rise to this nama-rupa, which is why I encourage the study of the Buddha's doctrine of paticca-samuppada. The Buddha did explain the process that gives rise to this mentality-materiality, and it has nothing to do with Nibbana. I can see how you view the Buddha's teachings in this way [I too once had similar views], however, from my study of the Canon, along with my meditation practice, I now believe that these ideas are simply another form of wrong view.

I apologize for the terseness, I don't have a great deal of time to respond.

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Nam,

I do not think that the matter is complicated at all. It seems quite simple.

I agree that Nibbana is beyond conceptualization, however, what you have said simply weasels around what the Buddha himself taught in the Suttas. When he said "Sabbe dhamma anatta", he was saying that all things existant are not-self. That is very simple and straightforward. If Nibbana exists, as you have said that it does, then it too would be not-self regardless of whatever the actual experience of it may be. Using the Kalama Sutta in this instance does not change the actual teachings on the matter.

Existence in the human context and comprehension, yes the existence is not-self........existence in the "absolute", the existence is self. The reason I said this is because of what it says in the Lankavatara that all things are nothing but the manifestation of Mind itself, now let think about this for a moment. Let look at the prism for the example, white light shines on it and the light that manifested by the prism would be multi color. Our human body and brain is like a prism, and what the prism produce is the distortion of white light, hypothetically speaking.

So, we as human hold views that are distorted, even NOT hanging on to any view is another form of delusion as well.

That is why some Zen schools teach people the method of the Hua-to (ante-word), it teach one to "see" the Original Face before one is born into human form, in another word, get to the white light before it hits the prism and get distorted.

I agree that one should know the principles that give rise to this nama-rupa, which is why I encourage the study of the Buddha's doctrine of paticca-samuppada. The Buddha did explain the process that gives rise to this mentality-materiality, and it has nothing to do with Nibbana. I can see how you view the Buddha's teachings in this way [I too once had similar views], however, from my study of the Canon, along with my meditation practice, I now believe that these ideas are simply another form of wrong view.

I apologize for the terseness, I don't have a great deal of time to respond.

Jason

What is there to be apologetic, I only point out to Buddhists that there is more than one way to skin a cat, as master Minh Kien said. But I definitely oppose the No-self view, that is not what Buddha taught.
  • edited February 2006
    kowtaaia wrote:
    ...from The Sermon at Rajagaha

"Now attend and listen:
    The senses meet the object and from their contact sensation is born.
    Thence results recollection.
    Thus, as the sun's power through a burning-glass causes fire to appear,
    so through the cognizance born of sense and object,
    the mind originates and with it the ego, the thought of self,
    whom some Brahman teachers call the lord.
    The shoot springs from the seed;
    the seed is not the shoot,
    both are not one and the same,
    but successive phases in a continuous growth. Such is the birth of animated life.

Though I dont dis agree with the above sermon. But I would like to explain in deeper details the Heart Sutra so that we can look and see how smart a teacher the Buddha was.

The heart Sutra says that form is emptiness and emptiness is form, the same goes for feeling, perception, mental volition and consciouness.

And it does not says this and end there, it "encourages" the readers to "see" that which is NOT of form, NOT of feeling, NOT of perception, NOT of mental volition and NOT of consciouness. What is that?..........one might says it is none other than the "spirit", or "soul"......there are many words but the meaning is the same, imho.

The "art" of Buddhism is to seperate that of the body from that which NOT of the body. So this is what we should be mindful of, as this is the thread that began when Yogamama asked the question.

To look deeper into ourselves is to investigate thoroughly of what we really are, are we our body?..........are we our mind?...........are we our environment? let go of the body and temporal (psychological and evaluative) mind. Master Hui-neng says forget about subject and object. Master Zheman says kill all fear and anxiety, face the "nakedness face" that is yearning to show itself. That Unborn true person is nothing other than that which moves your body and give rise to your thoughts, how wonderful...............master Lin-chi would be dropping in to see ya'all.

In with the juice,

Namlee
    edited February 2006
    NamThien2006,

It appears that you are simply clinging to a position of self.
    I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying in Savatthi, at Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's monastery. Then the wanderer Vacchagotta went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there he asked the Blessed One: "How is it, Master Gotama, does Master Gotama hold the view: 'The cosmos is eternal: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"Then does Master Gotama hold the view: 'The cosmos is not eternal: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"Then does Master Gotama hold the view: 'The cosmos is finite: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"Then does Master Gotama hold the view: 'The cosmos is infinite: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"Then does Master Gotama hold the view: 'The soul & the body are the same: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"Then does Master Gotama hold the view: 'The soul is one thing and the body another: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"Then does Master Gotama hold the view: 'After death a Tathagata exists: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"Then does Master Gotama hold the view: 'After death a Tathagata does not exist: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"Then does Master Gotama hold the view: 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"Then does Master Gotama hold the view: 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless'?"

"...no..."

"How is it, Master Gotama, when Master Gotama is asked if he holds the view 'the cosmos is eternal...'... 'after death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist: only this is true, anything otherwise is worthless,' he says '...no...' in each case. Seeing what drawback, then, is Master Gotama thus entirely dissociated from each of these ten positions?"

"Vaccha, the position that 'the cosmos is eternal' is a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. It is accompanied by suffering, distress, despair, & fever, and it does not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation; to calm, direct knowledge, full Awakening, Unbinding.

"The position that 'the cosmos is not eternal'...

"...'the cosmos is finite'...

"...'the cosmos is infinite'...

"...'the soul & the body are the same'...

"...'the soul is one thing and the body another'...

"...'after death a Tathagata exists'...

"...'after death a Tathagata does not exist'...

"...'after death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'...

"...'after death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist'... does not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation; to calm, direct knowledge, full Awakening, Unbinding."

"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are mental fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I say, a Tathagata — with the ending, fading out, cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & mine-making & obsession with conceit — is, through lack of clinging/sustenance, released."

"But, Master Gotama, the monk whose mind is thus released: Where does he reappear?"

"'Reappear,' Vaccha, doesn't apply."

"In that case, Master Gotama, he does not reappear."

"'Does not reappear,' Vaccha, doesn't apply."

"...both does & does not reappear."

"...doesn't apply."

"...neither does nor does not reappear."

"...doesn't apply."

"How is it, Master Gotama, when Master Gotama is asked if the monk reappears... does not reappear... both does & does not reappear... neither does nor does not reappear, he says, '...doesn't apply' in each case. At this point, Master Gotama, I am befuddled; at this point, confused. The modicum of clarity coming to me from your earlier conversation is now obscured."

"Of course you're befuddled, Vaccha. Of course you're confused. Deep, Vaccha, is this phenomenon, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. For those with other views, other practices, other satisfactions, other aims, other teachers, it is difficult to know. That being the case, I will now put some questions to you. Answer as you see fit. What do you think, Vaccha: If a fire were burning in front of you, would you know that, 'This fire is burning in front of me'?"

"...yes..."

"And suppose someone were to ask you, Vaccha, 'This fire burning in front of you, dependent on what is it burning?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"...I would reply, 'This fire burning in front of me is burning dependent on grass & timber as its sustenance.'"

"If the fire burning in front of you were to go out, would you know that, 'This fire burning in front of me has gone out'?"

"...yes..."

"And suppose someone were to ask you, 'This fire that has gone out in front of you, in which direction from here has it gone? East? West? North? Or south?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"That doesn't apply, Master Gotama. Any fire burning dependent on a sustenance of grass and timber, being unnourished — from having consumed that sustenance and not being offered any other — is classified simply as 'out' (unbound)."

"Even so, Vaccha, any physical form by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, like an uprooted palm tree, deprived of the conditions of existence, not destined for future arising. Freed from the classification of form, Vaccha, the Tathagata is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the sea. 'Reappears' doesn't apply. 'Does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Both does & does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Neither reappears nor does not reappear' doesn't apply.

"Any feeling... Any perception... Any mental fabrication...

"Any consciousness by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, like an uprooted palm tree, deprived of the conditions of existence, not destined for future arising. Freed from the classification of consciousness, Vaccha, the Tathagata is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the sea. 'Reappears' doesn't apply. 'Does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Both does & does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Neither reappears nor does not reappear' doesn't apply."

When this was said, the wanderer Vacchagotta said to the Blessed One: "Master Gotama, it is as if there were a great sala tree not far from a village or town: From inconstancy, its branches and leaves would wear away, its bark would wear away, its sapwood would wear away, so that on a later occasion — divested of branches, leaves, bark, & sapwood — it would stand as pure heartwood. In the same way, Master Gotama's words are divested of branches, leaves, bark, & sapwood and stand as pure heartwood.

"Magnificent, Master Gotama! Magnificent! Just as if he were to place upright what was overturned, to reveal what was hidden, to show the way to one who was lost, or were to carry a lamp into the dark so that those with eyes could see forms, in the same way has Master Gotama has — through many lines of reasoning — made the Dhamma clear. I go to Master Gotama for refuge, to the Dhamma, and to the Sangha of monks. May Master Gotama remember me as a lay follower who has gone to him for refuge, from this day forward, for life."

- MN 72

Here is also a Dhamma talk on this Sutta by Ajahn Brahm.

Jason
    edited February 2006
    Gentlemen:

I would like to point out two things:

ONE:
    The original topic of this thread was "The Meaning of being Mindful" so I can't help feeling that all this discussion on Self and Non-Self (or Not-Self - ?? :confused: ) is frankly, off-topic.

and

TWO:
    You both left the majority of the remainder of Forum members behind, on page three.....
    at the risk of exposing myself to the accurate accusation of being a veritable Dharma Doofus - I don't have the slightest idea what either of you are talking about.
    edited February 2006
    Fede,

My apologies.

Jason
  • edited February 2006
    Twenty lashes with a wet noodle is a fitting punishment.

Unless of course, 'Brigid' feels that it's too harsh. :)
  • edited February 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    NamThien2006,

It appears that you are simply clinging to a position of self.

Here is also a Dhamma talk on this Sutta by Ajahn Brahm.

Jason

Federica,

Yes, the original thread of this topic is "mindfullness" question posed by Yogamama, I think I deserve the credit for bring the forum back on topic. Because It appear that Elohim wants to dis-credit what I posted, so I just only post in reply to his inquiry.

I shows that there is other Sutra teaching, like the Heart Sutra, the Lankavatara Sutra, the Nirvana Sutra..., seem that Elohim shows little interests in what those Sutra say of the SELF.............and he kept on stuffing down my head with his own Nikaya "views"......

Out of my humility, I play along, debate him on his own "preferred" Sutra, and I indeed point out in earlier post that Buddha ONLYsays the Aggregates are not self. That is all, the Buddha never deny the real SELF, which is unmade and unbecoming, undeath, deathless.........birthless, same meaning.

Elohim,

I call old Buddhist friend of mine at university. I shared with him
    what you said. He laughed. He said you are using wrong word. He
    advised me to tell you to buy Peter Masefield two volume set, "The
    Udana Commentary". He said you are mistaking the word anatta.m (mean
    no-self) for anata.m meaning 'infinite' or 'uninclined'.

Regards,

Znam
  • edited February 2006
    The Sermon at Rajagaha:

"But now we see the marks of joy and sorrow.
    Where is any constancy?
    If there is no permanent self that does our deeds,
    then there is no self;
    there is no actor behind our actions,
    no perceiver behind our perception,
    no lord behind our deeds.
    edited February 2006
    Yes, the original thread of this topic is "mindfullness" question posed by Yogamama, I think I deserve the credit for bring the forum back on topic. Because It appear that Elohim wants to dis-credit what I posted, so I just only post in reply to his inquiry.

*Nobody wants to dis-credit you, neither are they attempting to.
    now you're just indulging in pointless diatribe.
    I shows that there is other Sutra teaching, like the Heart Sutra, the Lankavatara Sutra, the Nirvana Sutra..., seem that Elohim shows little interests in what those Sutra say of the SELF.............and he kept on stuffing down my head with his own Nikaya "views"......

Your English has degenerated quite remarkably... If I compare it to previous posts you have made, you were either cutting and pasting arguments to illustrate your point, (which is a flawed observation, as just occasionally, you introduced a grammatical 'faux-pas') or you have suddenly lost your ability to write coherently....
    Out of my humility, I play along, debate him on his own "preferred" Sutra, and I indeed point out in earlier post that Buddha ONLYsays the Aggregates are not self. That is all, the Buddha never deny the real SELF, which is unmade and unbecoming, undeath, deathless.........birthless, same meaning.

This discussion is now going around in circles, and has lost its objective.

Elohim,

I call old Buddhist friend of mine at university. I shared with him
    what you said. He laughed. He said you are using wrong word. He
    advised me to tell you to buy Peter Masefield two volume set, "The
    Udana Commentary". He said you are mistaking the word anatta.m (mean
    no-self) for anata.m meaning 'infinite' or 'uninclined'.

Regards,

Znam

I think this would be a good point to close this thread. *
This discussion has been closed.