Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Couple Of Questions

Hey there, my name is Liam and I am hoping to start following a Buddhist lifestyle. However, I have a couple of questions I'd like an answer to in order to get started.

The first involves alchohol. Now, I don't drink the stuff; bad things happen when I do but I am about to start working as a barman. I was reading the 8 noble truths and it said something about not selling alchohol. Even if I am not consuming is there something wrong with this line of work?

Lastly. Due to a recent rough patch in my life I have been put on anti-depressents by my doctor. However, buddhist discourages the use of drugs. Should I stop taking them?

Many thanks.

Liam.

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I work in a store so i also sell alcohol, you've got to contextualise the 8 fold path ( i think you mean ) into daily life after all western society today is far different to that when buddha was living.
    No keep using what doctors prescribe, if your unwell then its not good to miss you medicine.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks, Caz. Yes, I mean the 8 fold path. New to this and all that :) The way I see it is that since the customers have already made the decision to drink, and I am not leading them to it, morally, I am doing nothing wrong.
    As for medication, I figure seems as it isn't intoxicating, and leads to better health and better thinking, it can't be too bad?
    edited December 2009
    Thanks, Caz. Yes, I mean the 8 fold path. New to this and all that :) The way I see it is that since the customers have already made the decision to drink, and I am not leading them to it, morally, I am doing nothing wrong.
    As for medication, I figure seems as it isn't intoxicating, and leads to better health and better thinking, it can't be too bad?

Yep thats a good way to look at it you cant really influence their decision if their set on it you know you gotta keep your job.
    As for the medication you may find that meditation on loveing kindness will greatly help with depression i know am few who've benifited throughly:o
  • edited December 2009
    This is one of the main reasons Buddhism is so appealing to me - Most of the problems I have in life I link to poor living, so the Buddhist teachings really make sense to be. I need to learn how to meditate though, There is a temple quite near me so I think I'll pay a visit at some point and get some direction. :)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Welcome to the site. :)
    I was reading the 8 noble truths and it said something about not selling alchohol. Even if I am not consuming is there something wrong with this line of work?

Hummm where did you read this? There's only Four Noble Truths and they don't set out any guidelines like that - they are simply the truths of suffering, the nature of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the path leading to the cessation of suffering.

There are the Five Precepts which are all based within the First Precept of trying to do no harm to any being. There are no sets of strict rules for you to follow in order to "be a Buddhist." The Precepts are guidelines that we try to follow to the best of our ability because we see that it's in our best interest.

So there is nothing necessarily wrong with being a bartender, but it's your job to serve people responsibly.
    Lastly. Due to a recent rough patch in my life I have been put on anti-depressents by my doctor. However, buddhist discourages the use of drugs. Should I stop taking them?

Absolutely not. Buddhism does not discourage drugs. Buddhism discourages things which lead to harm. The precept which you're thinking of addresses things which "intoxicate/cloud the mind" and are harmful to you. If the antidepressants are helping you, then it would be silly to go off of them even if there were such restrictions in Buddhism. Never do something just because someone tells you to. Consider what's in your best interest. And just in case, please make sure that you discuss it with your doctor if and when you want to stop taking them, and taper off of them under their supervission... it's dangerous and very hard on your body to stop taking them cold turkey.
    edited December 2009
    This is one of the main reasons Buddhism is so appealing to me - Most of the problems I have in life I link to poor living, so the Buddhist teachings really make sense to be. I need to learn how to meditate though, There is a temple quite near me so I think I'll pay a visit at some point and get some direction. :)

Yup cant go wrong visit and get some basic instruction on meditation and teachings to start you off pick up a book if there is any as well to get you started friend :)
  • edited December 2009
    Welcome to the site. :)

Hummm where did you read this? There's only Four Noble Truths and they don't set out any guidelines like that - they are simply the truths of suffering, the nature of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the path leading to the cessation of suffering.

There are the Five Precepts which are all based within the First Precept of trying to do no harm to any being. There are no sets of strict rules for you to follow in order to "be a Buddhist." The Precepts are guidelines that we try to follow to the best of our ability because we see that it's in our best interest.

So there is nothing necessarily wrong with being a bartender, but it's your job to serve people responsibly.

Absolutely not. Buddhism does not discourage drugs. Buddhism discourages things which lead to harm. The precept which you're thinking of addresses things which "intoxicate/cloud the mind" and are harmful to you. If the antidepressants are helping you, then it would be silly to go off of them even if there were such restrictions in Buddhism. Never do something just because someone tells you to. Consider what's in your best interest. And just in case, please make sure that you discuss it with your doctor if and when you want to stop taking them, and taper off of them under their supervission... it's dangerous and very hard on your body to stop taking them cold turkey.

My apologies, I meant the 8 fold path. I intend to serve customers but if/when I see that someone is getting to a point where they may do harm to themselves or others I will not serve them, or request a colleage does.
    Without the anti depressants I was having some very negative thoughts, which are slowly fading away. I want to stay on them until I feel I can function 'normally' without them but I do get a bit worried about adddiction from time to time.
    Yup cant go wrong visit and get some basic instruction on meditation and teachings to start you off pick up a book if there is any as well to get you started friend
    That reminds me, I think a trip to the library is in order. It is so much easier to absorb knowledge from books that it is a computer screen :) Thanks for your help, both of you :)
    edited December 2009
    My apologies, I meant the 8 fold path. I intend to serve customers but if/when I see that someone is getting to a point where they may do harm to themselves or others I will not serve them, or request a colleage does.
    Without the anti depressants I was having some very negative thoughts, which are slowly fading away. I want to stay on them until I feel I can function 'normally' without them but I do get a bit worried about adddiction from time to time.

That reminds me, I think a trip to the library is in order. It is so much easier to absorb knowledge from books that it is a computer screen :) Thanks for your help, both of you :)

Do you know what your nearest centre is ?
  • edited December 2009
    Yes, it's about half an hours walk about from my place. Very busy tommorow, but I'll make a trip down there on Friday.
    edited December 2009
    Yes, it's about half an hours walk about from my place. Very busy tommorow, but I'll make a trip down there on Friday.

I ment whats it called friend :o
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited December 2009
    The part of the Eightfold Path you are thinking of is Right Livelihood. To put it in the most simple terms, it means it matters what you do. If your occupation causes harm to others, it causes harm to yourself. Karma is a literal truth: We are not separate from our actions in this life. With every cause, there is an effect. If we participate in a practice that causes harm to other beings, we cause harm to ourselves, indirectly in the world as a whole, and directly through our own consciousness.

I am in touch with the conundrum of serving alcohol. I am a musician. I view my occupation as beneficial, and congruent with "right livelihood," because my product--music--provides joy, relieves stress, and communicates a positive message (I hope, anyway). However, almost every place I have played makes the majority of their money through the sale of alcohol. It is often alcohol that pays my wages. I don't sell it directly, but by performing my music I attract people to the club, and most of those people buy drinks. This doesn't sit well with me. Bars, in general, are hives of vice and sensual gratification. Believe me, I've seen it all.

Yet when I play, I look at those people and see them moved by my performance. I get on stage and do my thing, unaffected by all the temptation, totally into my music. I talk to people, and I see that I inspire them. Some days, it's hard to shake the feeling I'm just a glorified beer salesperson, but when I see the effect I have on people, I know it's more than that.

Most of those people will probably walk into the club whether I'm there or not. If it wasn't me, it would be somebody else. That doesn't make a thing right, but it does give me a sense of responsibility. If I can take that opportunity and put forth a positive image--show people that you don't have to drink to have fun, and that you can be true to yourself even in the midst of chaos--maybe that counts for something. Maybe these are the people most in need of positive role-models.

Preachers don't preach to other preachers. What would be the point?

What matters even more than what you do, is why you do it. If you tend bar to earn a living, and to hell with the effect on others, that is not right livelihood. If you tend bar to give compassion and friendship to those souls who come to you looking for relief in the bottom of a glass, that is right livelihood. It is the same job, but two completely different occupations.

Bodhidharma taught that even a butcher can become a Buddha, if he can recognize his self-nature. When you are awake, everything you do is sacred.

- - -

As for the anti-depressants, that is another story. If the medication is what you need to treat an illness, then take it. When you no longer need it, stop taking it. There are many alternative ways to combat depression, and they are very simple. Diet, exercise, and meditation are very, very powerful tools for combating any number of afflictions, including depression. Do what you need to do. When you've got it under control, kick the medications and keep it under control with mindful, healthy choices.

~ AD
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    4th noble truth is 8 fold path. 8 fold path has right livelihood as 5th factor.

right livelihood includes the five kinds of wrong livelihood, namely, trading in human beings, intoxicants, weapons, animals for slaughter & poisons.

:)
    edited December 2009
    Still, I worked exclusively in bars, as an employee and manager, before I found Dhamma. One can develop alot of dhamma virtue in customer service.

:smilec:
    edited December 2009
    If your occupation causes harm to others, it causes harm to yourself. Karma is a literal truth:
    The Buddha taught karma is a general truth. That being so, it is best not to be superstitious about karma. Working in bars does not necessarily harm oneself. It can awaken one but it will not really "harm" one.

Buddha taught karma is intention.

• AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited December 2009
    The Buddha taught karma is a general truth. That being so, it is best not to be superstitious about karma. Working in bars does not necessarily harm oneself. It can awaken one but it will not really "harm" one.

Buddha taught karma is intention.
    Absolutely true, I agree. I didn't mean to imply any mystical force at work, only that what we do to our environment, we do to ourselves. Causing harm to another quite literally harms ourselves, even if we are blind to the effect.
    edited December 2009
    I am a musician....
    Great post.

• edited December 2009
    Hi All

Interesting thread!

If you was interested in meditation you could check out this passage from a book I have been re-reading. I have found it invalauble -

http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/callanish/39/medit66.htm

Namaste
  • edited December 2009
    I ment whats it called friend

Ah, sorry Caz. This is the information copied from a temple directory I found on the internet:

Leigh Buddhist Group
    Address: 61 Thames Drive, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex Essex
    Tradition: Theravada
    Phone: 01702 482134

As for bar tending, I am in to it for the purpose of earning a living mainly. Though, the intent is putting money away for university, which, in turn will get me qualified to earn a better way of life for my future family. I don't know if that is a fair justification though. Being the way I am, however, compasion and caring for the customers will come easily, as that is my nature.
  • edited December 2009
    Leigh Buddhist Group

Sounds like a good place to start, Liam. Go for it !

Kind regards,

Dazzle
    edited December 2009
    Ah, sorry Caz. This is the information copied from a temple directory I found on the internet:

Leigh Buddhist Group
    Address: 61 Thames Drive, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex Essex
    Tradition: Theravada
    Phone: 01702 482134

As for bar tending, I am in to it for the purpose of earning a living mainly. Though, the intent is putting money away for university, which, in turn will get me qualified to earn a better way of life for my future family. I don't know if that is a fair justification though. Being the way I am, however, compasion and caring for the customers will come easily, as that is my nature.

Good they will be able to give you a decent education in the basis of buddhadharma :o