Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Universal religion!

edited September 2010 in Faith & Religion
I've always studied the ancient teachings and I have always tried to find a common thread that tied it all, from Buddha to Christ, the Prophet, to the ancient Zen masters, the most current science.I think you understand something because I have always wondered the meaning of things, and truth in all teaching. I do not want to talk about different levels of those who spoke, but what they said. A thread that ties all this I think is important. I believe today that this is possible, who explains that there is, and I hope that all of us in the world can learn something more.

I dream of a world where all beings that we are all brothers, and falling walls mentally (most difficult) and you learn something from each other. In the evolution of humanity there is a plan that makes clear the entire journey and all the teachings.

:rolleyes:

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Not all religions are the same. Some teachings are simply irreconcilable with one another. They can exist side by side, but there can never be a world religion. It actually sounds spooky come to think of it. What would it be?

Didn't Robespierre try something like that though during the French Revolution? With himself conveniently as the pseudo, demi-God at the top of it?

"I'd never join a religion that would have me as a member."

;)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I've always studied the ancient teachings and I have always tried to find a common thread that tied it all

There certainly is a common thread, as long as you look at the contemplative practices, and not at the ontotheological beliefs or the mores. Unfortunately, the contemplative practices take a back seat in pretty much all public religious experience (including Buddhism.)
  • edited December 2009
    I think its wonderful that we have different religions - people come from different backgrounds and therefore have different needs.
    I did think about the benefits of a universal religion once, but came to the conclusion that the only reason i wanted a universal religion, was because i wanted everyone to agree with each other and get along - but i dont think such a religion would be able to do that.
    I think it would be much more beneficial to work for more and more tolerance between religions - but tolerance are based on accepting things as they are, not trying to change them or evolve them into something "better". Religious wars come from the idea, that one religion or system is better than the other. I think a "universal religion" would be just another one of those our religion is the one and only true religion.

Just my thoughts
    Much love

Allan
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Everyone is different therefore how could we all do something the same ?
  • edited December 2009
    Here's a conversation between the Buddha and Sakka, the Lord of the Devas:Sakka-pañha Sutta
    Then Sakka, having delighted in & expressed his approval of the Blessed One's words, asked him a further question:

"Dear sir, do all priests & contemplatives teach the same doctrine, adhere to the same precepts, desire the same thing, aim at the same goal?"
    "No, deva-king, not all priests & contemplatives teach the same doctrine, adhere to the same precepts, desire the same thing, aim at the same goal."

"Why, dear sir, don't all priests & contemplatives teach the same doctrine, adhere to the same precepts, desire the same thing, aim at the same goal?"
    "The world is made up of many properties, various properties. Because of the many & various properties in the world, then whichever property living beings get fixated on, they become entrenched & latch onto it, saying, 'Only this is true; anything else is worthless.'
    This is why not all priests & contemplatives teach the same doctrine, adhere to the same precepts, desire the same thing, aim at the same goal."

"But, dear sir, are all priests & contemplatives utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate?"
    "No, deva-king, not all priests & contemplatives are utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate."

"But why, dear sir, are not all priests & contemplatives utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate?"
    "Those monks who are released through the total ending of craving are the ones who are utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate.
    This is why not all priests & contemplatives are utterly complete, utterly free from bonds, followers of the utterly holy life, utterly consummate."

Thus the Blessed One answered, having been asked by Sakka the deva-king. Gratified, Sakka was delighted in & expressed his approval of the Blessed One's words: "So it is, O Blessed One. So it is, O One Well-gone. Hearing the Blessed One's answer to my question, my doubt is now cut off, my perplexity is overcome."
  • edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    There certainly is a common thread, as long as you look at the contemplative practices, and not at the ontotheological beliefs or the mores. Unfortunately, the contemplative practices take a back seat in pretty much all public religious experience (including Buddhism.)

What is one common thread that ALL religions share? Something more substantial than 'contemplation.'
    edited December 2009
    Hey, KoB, I like your new avatar. Lincoln is my all-time favorite American. Have you read Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln?
    What is one common thread that ALL religions share? Something more substantial than 'contemplation.'

All religions come from the same basic teaching regarding meditation and awakening, a teaching which usually is subsequently corrupted by institutionalization as it grows more widespread. This is recognized particularly acutely by the Sufis, as reflected in their teaching story, The Story of Fire.
  • edited December 2009
    Not all religions are the same. Some teachings are simply irreconcilable with one another. They can exist side by side, but there can never be a world religion. It actually sounds spooky come to think of it. What would it be? ;)

If some teachings are irreconcilable in my opinion depends on whether that has changed over time and not the original ones. Or even the fact that you are not yet able to fully understand them and find the thread that unites them. In the experience of my research I can tell you that this thread exists well studied and the lessons are all right but just different, because the historical moment was different, and even those who exposed them.

:)
  • edited December 2009
    I think its wonderful that we have different religions - people come from different backgrounds and therefore have different needs.
    I did think about the benefits of a universal religion once, but came to the conclusion that the only reason i wanted a universal religion, was because i wanted everyone to agree with each other and get along - but i dont think such a religion would be able to do that.
    I think it would be much more beneficial to work for more and more tolerance between religions - but tolerance are based on accepting things as they are, not trying to change them or evolve them into something "better". Religious wars come from the idea, that one religion or system is better than the other. I think a "universal religion" would be just another one of those our religion is the one and only true religion.

Just my thoughts
    Much love

Allan

Dear allanstevns, I agree about tolerance, but also in the future with the help of modern science will become a required time to understand everything that was said and everything that's new. The universal religion must be understood as the overcoming of all religions and understanding of all the teachings ... including science and its discoveries ever made!Allan
  • edited December 2009
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Everyone is different therefore how could we all do something the same ?

We do this in diversity, because we are all different, but also the lessons of the past were different. But we all say the same thing, and this thing we understand. Everyone wanted to say the same but in different ways.
  • edited December 2009
    thornbush wrote: »
    Here's a conversation between the Buddha and Sakka, the Lord of the Devas:Sakka-pañha Sutta

If a being is enlightened or realized as was Christ, Buddha or the Prophet, then know and say the same thing, but certainly exposure and cunning that will use it is by himself and to his level. Buddha, for example, is at a level that still did not understand why humanity is realized (different from being just lights) but this will explain a good day, do not worry and then you will understand to what extent was the deep teaching. Also exists in the universe who can fix a Buddha, or enter a different teaching ...
  • edited December 2009
    All religions come from the same basic teaching regarding meditation and awakening, a teaching which usually is subsequently corrupted by institutionalization as it grows more widespread. This is recognized particularly acutely by the Sufis, as reflected in their teaching story, The Story of Fire.

:thumbsup:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    If a being is enlightened or realized as was Christ, Buddha or the Prophet, then know and say the same thing, but certainly exposure and cunning that will use it is by himself and to his level. Buddha, for example, is at a level that still did not understand why humanity is realized (different from being just lights) but this will explain a good day, do not worry and then you will understand to what extent was the deep teaching. Also exists in the universe who can fix a Buddha, or enter a different teaching ...

I think you're treading on dangerous ground here, friend...
    The Buddha completely understood why Humanity is NOT realised, but knew without a shadow of a doubt that Humanity can be realised.
    Humanity can be realised if they drop the veil of illusion and Desire.... in order to be a realised being, this is what needs to be done.
    To see things as they really are.

A Buddha cannot be fixed, neither does he - or she - need 'fixing'.

I think that to make statements like this on a Buddhist forum is both unwise and frankly, a little insulting....
    You are a guest here, but you must understand that as a guest, you follow Forum decorum, and not make statements with the potential to abuse the hospitality you are given.

perhaps you could explain why it is that you believe the Buddha is at a level as you describe, or even needs fixing?

I understand that you are communicating in a second language (That English is not your first) but as you know, I am completely capable of transposing your original language here, and I think it may be a question of semantics....
    'Illuminato' does not mean just being a light.
    The Buddha means 'awake' and illumination means the light's gone on.
    And has stayed on......
  • edited December 2009
    federica wrote: »
    I think you're treading on dangerous ground here, friend...
    The Buddha completely understood why Humanity is NOT realised, but knew without a shadow of a doubt that Humanity can be realised.
    Humanity can be realised if they drop the veil of illusion and Desire.... in order to be a realised being, this is what needs to be done.
    To see things as they really are.

A Buddha cannot be fixed, neither does he - or she - need 'fixing'.

I think that to make statements like this on a Buddhist forum is both unwise and frankly, a little insulting....
    You are a guest here, but you must understand that as a guest, you follow Forum decorum, and not make statements with the potential to abuse the hospitality you are given.

perhaps you could explain why it is that you believe the Buddha is at a level as you describe, or even needs fixing?

I understand that you are communicating in a second language (That English is not your first) but as you know, I am completely capable of transposing your original language here, and I think it may be a question of semantics....
    'Illuminato' does not mean just being a light.
    The Buddha means 'awake' and illumination means the light's gone on.
    And has stayed on......

It can probably be a translation problem! What is the precise point that you feel even offensive?
  • edited December 2009

Just my thoughts
    Much love

Allan
    I just think that religions are an invention of strong powers to oppose the people and keep the power.I never met a real Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist etc.. All broke their thinks.Io I think the people have opened their eyes: up to 5 centuries ago 'the church was burning people who did not agree with his thoughts (Giordano Bruno and Pomponio Leto for example), and second within 200 years all will end.Cheers!:)
  • edited December 2009
    Right...thanks for the thought, even though I may not share it, not that it matters :smilec: Be well :)
  • edited December 2009
    Hey, KoB, I like your new avatar. Lincoln is my all-time favorite American. Have you read Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln?

I agree with you. He's doubtless the greatest president we ever had. And it truly took a great American to annihilate the apartheid government of the CSA.

All religions come from the same basic teaching regarding meditation and awakening, a teaching which usually is subsequently corrupted by institutionalization as it grows more widespread. This is recognized particularly acutely by the Sufis, as reflected in their teaching story,

My point is that some religions are fundamentally incompatible. Jesus basically said that the only way to the heaven was through him. Traditional Islamic doctrine stipulates that Muslims must spread throughout the world and offer 3 choices to non-believers. 1) Accept Islam 2) Be subjugated through a tax 3) Die

Not all religions are the same.
    edited December 2009
    I didn't say they were the same; I said the differences are corruptions.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    All religions come from the same basic teaching regarding meditation and awakening...
    Where in the Bible or Koran is systematic meditation taught?

Where in the Bible or Koran is awakening to the Three Characteristics & Emptiness taught?

edited December 2009
    I said the differences are corruptions.
    You said your opinion is the differences are corruptions.

edited December 2009
    This stuff didn't make it into the Christian and Islamic canons, but it's there in the apocrypha (see the "Gospel of Thomas,") the Jesuit initiation meditations, the practices of the Desert Fathers, and the Sufi traditions.
    edited December 2009
    That what I say is my opinion goes without saying. :)
  • edited December 2009
    There's no evidence to suggest that the Gospel of Thomas is authentic, is there ? (Similarly the Gospel of Mary Magdalene)

edited December 2009
    And the evidence for the authenticity of the canon is?
    edited December 2009
    This stuff didn't make it into the Christian and Islamic canons, but it's there in the apocrypha (see the "Gospel of Thomas,") the Jesuit initiation meditations, the practices of the Desert Fathers, and the Sufi traditions.
    This does not represent "all religions".

Also, what is written in the Gospel of Thomas is not Buddhism.

What was the goal of the Desert Fathers? Was it connected to "God"?

edited December 2009
    Realisation.

• edited December 2009

If you're suggesting that religions stem from contemplative practices then it follows that there must be some evidence of that based on the recognised teachings of that religion - otherwise its just speculation.....and as DD said, realisation is the evidence for the authenticity of Buddhism.

edited December 2009
    I know it's not Buddhism. The core of Buddhism is not Buddhism, either. :)
    edited December 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    If you're suggesting that religions stem from contemplative practices then it follows that there must be some evidence of that based on the recognised teachings of that religion - otherwise its just speculation.

You're right. Mostly, it's based on The Story of Fire, and assertions by my teacher in this series of talks. I don't have any actual historical or other evidence, it's just the way it seems it "must have" worked, to me.. Authoritarianism and wishful thinking rear their ugly heads again! Thanks for pointing that out.
  • edited December 2009
    You're right. Mostly, it's based on The Story of Fire, and assertions by my teacher in this series of talks. I don't have any actual historical or other evidence, it's just the way it seems it "must have" worked, to me.. Authoritarianism and wishful thinking rear their ugly heads again! Thanks for pointing that out.

Thank you very much for the references 5B. I'm already familiar with the book by Idries Shah and other stories of the Sufis. I also in a certain sense have a connection with Ken Mcleod in your second link, because we both received teachings, transmissions, and empowerments, from the late Kalu Rinpoche.

However your references don't convince me that "All religions come from the same basic teaching regarding meditation and awakening" (#8)

Kind wishes to you, friend.

_/\_ Dazzle
    edited December 2009
    I know it's not Buddhism. The core of Buddhism is not Buddhism, either. :)
    FB

The core of Buddhism is not the sphere of infinite space and the sphere of nothingness. The core of Buddhism is understanding the characteristics of things, understanding 'what is what'. For example, the quotes below are not the core of Buddhism:
    When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom].

Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.

Gospel of Thomas

• edited December 2009
    Christ is not in opposition to the Buddha, for example, but that was lit in a specific historical moment had to give a clear instruction. This applies to everyone, even the prophet. These beings were aware of what they said and maybe the fact that their words would be used over time for different purposes and also changed. After centuries and centuries can not believe that the original teachings remain the same because there are thousands of people who can put his hands. What we need to do is to find and study the original teachings and trying to find a common thread. You may find very interesting things.
  • edited December 2009

You should pay attention to who gives the story: as regards Christ, the real seems to be that of the Essenes (the Gospel and 'was done immediately disappear from the church ...).:)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I, too, have looked for a "golden thread" that unites all the faith families or, even, like Huxley, a "perennial philosophy". Time and again I have come up against texts, be they Buddhist, Christian, Islamic or other, which state most categorically that there is no such thing. Thornbush gives a perfect example above with a quotation from the sutras (post #6).

Despite all these texts, I remain convinced that there is a fundamental unity, a single mountain up which so many paths lead. I also recognise that I may be entirely wrong and that those who claim exclusivity of truth may be right. How much easier it must have been before we were exposed to all the different opinions/beliefs.

Even if those of us who hold a universalist view are wrong, certain aspects of all religions remain the same, despite the attempts of extremists and literalists to deny it. Of these aspects, none is more important than the calls to peace and justice. All differences shrink to nothing in the face of the vast problems that confront us of hunger, deprivation, oppression, discrimination and ecological disaster. As H.H. the Dalai Lama has stressed, and stated again last week in Melbourne alongside his sisters and brothers at the Parliament of the World's Religions, however diverse our views, we can still work together. This is far more important than the petty squabbles that separate us.
  • edited December 2009
    Anything which says that the key to happiness is to make other people happy is a true religion.
  • edited December 2009
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.072.than.html
    Those who teach a Dhamma for the abandoning of passion, for the abandoning of aversion, for the abandoning of delusion — their Dhamma is well-taught.
  • edited December 2009
    All differences shrink to nothing in the face of the vast problems that confront us of hunger, deprivation, oppression, discrimination and ecological disaster. As H.H. the Dalai Lama has stressed, and stated again last week in Melbourne alongside his sisters and brothers at the Parliament of the World's Religions, however diverse our views, we can still work together. This is far more important than the petty squabbles that separate us.

First major problem: hunger in the world! Personally I do not think anyone, because today the world is organized to gain on the poor. But if things change, no one can stop them (we hope).
  • edited December 2009
    Anything which says that the key to happiness is to make other people happy is a true religion.

The universal religion should be something that goes beyond the concept of religion as it is today, namely as an organized system of power (including power over people's minds). Must be something really free, open to all, and that it develops the concept of religiosity (which is inside the person) without organizing a new thing that becomes power.

edited December 2009
    Christ is not in opposition to the Buddha, for example, but that was lit in a specific historical moment had to give a clear instruction.
    What is this clear instruction you are referring to that can lead to the end of suffering, that is, release from birth, aging, illness, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair?

What is this clear instruction you are referring to that can lead to the complete understanding of the causes & conditions relating to human behaviour?

edited December 2009
    First major problem: hunger in the world! Personally I do not think anyone, because today the world is organized to gain on the poor. But if things change, no one can stop them (we hope).
    What does this worldliness have to do with religion?

Was is Krishnamurti who said: "If we give to the poor they will just want more"?
    The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.

Matthew 26:11
    170. One who looks upon the world as a bubble and a mirage, him the King of Death sees not.

171. Come! Behold this world, which is like a decorated royal chariot. Here fools flounder, but the wise have no attachment to it.

Lokavagga
    edited December 2009
    The universal religion should be something that goes beyond the concept of religion as it is today, namely as an organized system of power (including power over people's minds). Must be something really free, open to all, and that it develops the concept of religiosity (which is inside the person) without organizing a new thing that becomes power.
    The world we live in today is not a religious world. The majority of societies are not under the control of religious power. Our world is free yet the majority of humanity has not chosen to investigate & live according to religious ideals.

If we identify with the masses, it is difficult to discern the supramundane message of the Buddha.

:smilec:
  • edited December 2009
    What is this clear instruction you are referring to that can lead to the end of suffering, that is, release from birth, aging, illness, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair?

What is this clear instruction you are referring to that can lead to the complete understanding of the causes & conditions relating to human behaviour?

With the love you overcome suffering. Love is the identification with the soul and this is the teaching of Christ does not exclude that of Buddha. The path that the Buddha has indicated is to go beyond the mind and the duality, but to get to the soul and live it. Christ spoke in different terms having a different type of search with a different consciousness, but the goal was always the same: to help sentient being in the understanding of how it is done, there is a soul and must be lived, and which is the cessation of suffering.
  • edited December 2009
    What does this worldliness have to do with religion?

Was is Krishnamurti who said: "If we give to the poor they will just want more"?

If you are in front of a child who is dying of hunger, which is what you do, do not give them anything to eat? Perhaps Krishnamurti meant poor in another sense, or who are realemnte dies of hunger.<O:p</O:p
  • edited December 2009
    The world we live in today is not a religious world. The majority of societies are not under the control of religious power. Our world is free yet the majority of humanity has not chosen to investigate & live according to religious ideals.

If we identify with the masses, it is difficult to discern the supramundane message of the Buddha.

:smilec:

I'm quite agree! The teaching of Buddha is at a higher level of consciousness of what one imagines.
  • edited December 2009
    If you are in front of a child who is dying of hunger, which is what you do, do not give them anything to eat? Perhaps Krishnamurti meant poor in another sense, or who are realemnte dies of hunger.<O:p</O:p

This world seems to be the story of Milarepa ... always rebuild again .... why, knowing the 4 noble truths' of the Buddha, the world seems to be against life?:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    I'm quite agree! The teaching of Buddha is at a higher level of consciousness of what one imagines.
    Not every time.
    The Buddha might have said many things that were too complex for many to understand, but the basic teachings of Suffering - and the way to end that suffering - were, and are, simple enough for everyone to learn, know, understand and live by. His teaching reaches mankind in the way it was transmitted. By a man.
    ronin47 wrote: »
    This world seems to be the story of Milarepa ... always rebuild again .... why, knowing the 4 noble truths' of the Buddha, the world seems to be against life?:)

Because not everybody knows the 4 Noble Truths, and many who do refuse to believe that it is that simple.
    Many people think that in order to be happy and free from suffering, they need to be in control of others.
    we know this is not the case.
    They refuse to see it, cannot see it, or DO see it, but would rather not follow....
  • edited December 2009
    federica wrote:
    Because not everybody knows the 4 Noble Truths, and many who do refuse to believe that it is that simple.
    Many people think that in order to be happy and free from suffering, they need to be in control of others.
    we know this is not the case.
    They refuse to see it, cannot see it, or DO see it, but would rather not follow....

How do you think will make it 'understandable to all the 4 noble truths' of the Buddha? I, in my small act only with love, without checking anything else enters the mind control ...:)
  • edited December 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Not every time.
    The Buddha might have said many things that were too complex for many to understand, but the basic teachings of Suffering - and the way to end that suffering - were, and are, simple enough for everyone to learn, know, understand and live by. His teaching reaches mankind in the way it was transmitted. By a man.

The level of consciousness of the Buddha (historical) is not a sentient being common, and even a researcher. In ancient times they were mentioned in Buddhism of the Totality, 10 levels of illumination corresponding to 10 levels of Bodisattwa. If the illumination level of a being is the tenth (for example), what he says when he teaches can be up to that level, and therefore contain much more than you think.
  • edited December 2009
    The level of consciousness of the Buddha (historical) is not a sentient being common, and even a researcher. In ancient times they were mentioned in Buddhism of the Totality, 10 levels of illumination corresponding to 10 levels of Bodisattwa. If the illumination level of a being is the tenth (for example), what he says when he teaches can be up to that level, and therefore contain much more than you think.

By the numbers: 10 are the levels of a bodhisattva,
    but we live in a fairly primitive level based 4:
    http://www.uselesswords.org/contStd.asp?lang=en&idPag=442
  • edited December 2009

Lao Tzu could not say anything different from the Buddha or Confucius; Vimalakirti has not given much thought other than Hui Neng, Jesus Christ did not err by theorizing: "I and my Father are the same thing", the Beginning and the End, l 'Alpha and Omega.:)