Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just Want to Sit

edited December 2009 in Philosophy
I've been "into" Buddhism for about 38 years. I took refuge about 6 years ago. The sangha I was involved in imploded due to the ubiquitous abbot indiscretion. Now I float from one zendo to another, based on time and place convenience. Sitting is central to my life. Some fellow Buddhists who are doing sesshins and devoted to teachers are sounding more and more like cult fanatics and urging me to make a "deeper" committment to practice by signing up for retreats and teachers. I believe the deeper committment at this point in my life is meditating and living the prajnaparamita, as I work, eat, and drive my car, etc. Fellow Buddhists are precious to me, people with whom I share a language and an effort. I am hoping for mutual respect, even if I don't take their path or their teacher.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I once read a Herman Hesse novel called Siddartha (not based on Guatama Siddartha), it made me greatly think about the need for followings and teachers. It always seemed strange to me that Buddhism is a study of your own mind but so many Buddhists say you need guidance from a master.

What was interesting is that Siddartha (in the novel) left the following and did not travel and live with Buddha like his fellow monks. He believed the only way he could see the truth is for him to go into the world alone without 'clinging' to a following.

But as the Buddha's teachings say: you cannot achieve enlightenment without a master
  • edited December 2009
    hermit wrote: »
    I've been "into" Buddhism for about 38 years. I took refuge about 6 years ago. The sangha I was involved in imploded due to the ubiquitous abbot indiscretion. Now I float from one zendo to another, based on time and place convenience. Sitting is central to my life. Some fellow Buddhists who are doing sesshins and devoted to teachers are sounding more and more like cult fanatics and urging me to make a "deeper" committment to practice by signing up for retreats and teachers. I believe the deeper committment at this point in my life is meditating and living the prajnaparamita, as I work, eat, and drive my car, etc. Fellow Buddhists are precious to me, people with whom I share a language and an effort. I am hoping for mutual respect, even if I don't take their path or their teacher.
    entering into a serious relationship with a teacher doesnt have to be fanatical . I admit that is often appears that way and people get caught up in that kind of nonsense all of the time. what is important is how we as individuals engage in this important relationship.
    for the most part i think your attitude is healthy but dont let the attitudes of others discourage you from finding a teacher. it really does make a huge difference to have the guidance of an authentic master. also, you dont have to have just one, I have had over 20 dharma teachers and i am immensely grateful for what they have given me.
  • edited December 2009
    how did u come across your masters, I have a wise meditation teacher, but he is not a master. I live in the u.k so do I need to go traveling to find one?
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    hermit wrote: »

A warm welcome, hermit _/\_
  • edited December 2009
    Elliott wrote: »
    how did u come across your masters, I have a wise meditation teacher, but he is not a master. I live in the u.k so do I need to go traveling to find one?
    hi Elliot,
    i have travelled quite a bit but so far I havent had to leave the U.S.
    there are many teachers available to us and it is well worth investigating and planning ahead in order to attend teachings or retreats. depending upon what kind of teachings one is interested in or prepared for there are many options.
    most teachers do "summer retreats", these usually are a week or so of serious teaching dedicated to a key subject. i highly recommend attending one if you can, its a great way to really start building a solid foundation.