Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"I'm so Zen, I make the _Power of Now_ look like the power of then!"

fivebellsfivebells Veteran
edited December 2009 in Philosophy
<object height="340" width="560">Someday, I'll have as much Buddha Nature as this guy. <i>sigh</i>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4gCU5uplB4A&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560"></object>

Comments

• edited December 2009
    It's quite disrespectful in some ways, but also it's quite funny in others. Anyway it's all in jest as far as i can see so no harm done :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Well, "life is just one humiliation after another..."
  • edited December 2009
    If you look it at that way maybe fivebells. You only feel humiliation if you have a sense of pride and to be proud is to be foolish.

Metta, Steve
    edited December 2009
    That's two jokes you've responded to as if they were serious. Never mind...
  • edited December 2009
    sorry fivebells wasn't sure if you were serious or not! think that just went over my head sorry again.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    I get it...
    He's poking fun at the Buddhist Gurus who are so far up themselves they believe all the crap they spout.... we've seen websites and blogs from people purporting to have 'got it', only to discover on closer examination that perhaps, the lights are on, but nobody's home.....
    I have met some people who actually take themselves so seriously, I have to stifle the laughter in my sleeve.....

Maybe......?
    "Arj, what about Global Warming — what about Climate Change and the planet?" and everybody's convinced that that the earth has a problem — because it's so hot. But how come I don't hear a single intelligent individual aside from myself suggest the seemingly obvious possibility that the Earth is just fine thank you — but there's something wrong with the sun! 'Cause I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure that son of a bitch is where all the heat is coming from. And all I'm sayin' is, when I burn my toast, I don't blame the bread. [crowd cheering] Wow. You guys really love toast jokes." — Original Style Bits and Pieces, Dec 8th 2009, Brisbane.

Arj's comedic style also slightly involves mocking religion.
    "I don't like to make fun of Scientologists — they're too easy, everyone does them... There are religions with 2000 years of experience that are so much better off..."Huh? E-Meter? No thank you sir, I'll be on my way now. I'll just go home and read my bible: "...then the talking snake said, 'Here, eat this magic apple.' " " — Original Style Bits and Pieces, Dec 8th 2009, Brisbane

from here
  • edited December 2009
    I'm from the UK so had no idea who this Arj Barker was or that he was a comedian. I totally see it now. Never got the chance to watch it right through but I agree with you federica.
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I think putting it in the "Buddhism for advanced practitioners" section (which I intended as part of the joke) probably made things more confusing. People got it at other places.
    edited December 2009
    My girlfriend pointed this video out to me. I think it's making fun of me. :) I really like it. I've watched it every day since I posted the link.

Edit: The comment I was responding to here was deleted.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    I bet it IS you.....
  • edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    That's two jokes you've responded to as if they were serious. Never mind...

thats somethin ive noticed about people on these sorts of buddhist forums... they look at jokes very analitically, or get offended etc. Theyre like robots programmed to be societies perception of a 'buddhist'.
  • edited December 2009
    penguin wrote: »
    thats somethin ive noticed about people on these sorts of buddhist forums... they look at jokes very analitically, or get offended etc. Theyre like robots programmed to be societies perception of a 'buddhist'.

I think now. I have a cracking sense of humour, i just got the wrong end of the stick so it's a little judgemental to tar me with the stereotype you are referring to. Metta Steve.
    edited December 2009
    I think there may be cross-cultural issues, there, too. Perhaps that kind of egotistical hip hop isn't as popular in the UK as it is the US.
  • edited December 2009
    I think now. I have a cracking sense of humour, i just got the wrong end of the stick so it's a little judgemental to tar me with the stereotype you are referring to. Metta Steve.

its just that u said its disrespectful in some ways. Who cares if it is, if i heard a joke about buddha being the anti christ and it was still funny id laugh. You should never 'label' yourself as a buddhist or your path as 'buddhism', no-one should.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Cute. It would be more cutting if it was more focused and not just a generalized new-age theme.
  • edited December 2009
    penguin wrote: »
    its just that u said its disrespectful in some ways. Who cares if it is, if i heard a joke about buddha being the anti christ and it was still funny id laugh. You should never 'label' yourself as a buddhist or your path as 'buddhism', no-one should.

I must admit I never labeled myself, but you labeled me. Maybe I was wrong to call it disrespectful but again its just a case of the wrong end of the stick

with metta, Steve