Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why is everyone so over-excited all the time !!!

edited January 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hi All.

The exclamation marks were ironic. LOL. OMG. I'm SO WACK!

I had to share the fact that society's being so over-hyped is really contributing to depression I think. Why is it nothing can just be... especially in the media... it has to BE (someone, something, famous, rich, gorgeous), hype is everywhere. The X-Factor is a good example. But sadly so is media reporting on so much...

Young people are growing up in this culture of general over-excitement for everything. I have extremely over-excitable parents who go off kilter over everything and it's very damaging to a child.

Can we campaign for a middle ground? 'Reality' if you will. A third way? International Equanimity Week anyone?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    WHAT!!! just kidding.

you know, everyone was 13 once.

or 8... and compared to my niece I'm like an animated corpse.

Well, that's TV for you, and there are trends, but you don't have to watch it because it wants you to watch it and be in your face all of the time and never read a book or notice anything else becauseIcantstopwatchingTV!!!!

Hmm, depression, I'd go for poverty or marital breakdown. YOu know depression IS a modern thing, and we don't throw children down a pit anymore? AND, some kids aren't getting any christmas presents this year... butyoucandosomethingaboutit!
  • edited December 2009
    sara wrote: »
    Hi All.

The exclamation marks were ironic. LOL. OMG. I'm SO WACK!

I had to share the fact that society's being so over-hyped is really contributing to depression I think. Why is it nothing can just be... especially in the media... it has to BE (someone, something, famous, rich, gorgeous), hype is everywhere. The X-Factor is a good example. But sadly so is media reporting on so much...

Young people are growing up in this culture of general over-excitement for everything. I have extremely over-excitable parents who go off kilter over everything and it's very damaging to a child.

Can we campaign for a middle ground? 'Reality' if you will. A third way? International Equanimity Week anyone?

I agree almost entirely with you. If you try to jam pack your life with constant excitement and entertainment, you are doomed to unhappiness. Far better to do unexciting things most of the time and then sprinkle it with excitement. Makes life a lot better I think.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    excitement and unexcitement are just reverse sides of the same coin.
    If you can meet with both of them, and treat those two impostors just the same....(With apologies to Kipling) then, you have balance.
    But sara's complaint, and KoB/s solution are both unworkable extremes.
  • edited December 2009
    Intersting, maybe me as a black and white thinker... ive tapped into extremes when i could also tap into a middle ground?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Middle ground is fine...
    but I'm not saying settle for the mundane and mediocre... what I am saying is that whatever happens, be mindful that -

"This too shall pass".

Nothing is permanent, but this euphoria you are witnessing in others is an indication of a hyped-up positivity that will hit them all the harder when their bubble bursts...
    People love fun, don;t they?
    But the end of fun hits those the hardest, who cannot reconcile 'fun' with 'fin'....

Just dwell in the moment, and try to not be smug, as you think to yourself,
    "You wait...you'll be sorry...."

(I find that bit hard, myself....if you manage it, let me know. We'll work on a plan together.....! :D)
  • edited December 2009
    sara wrote: »

For either the middle ground and/or reality to catch on it will need a highly energetic, dashing, charismatic spokesperson to mount a campaign of media saturation. Even some type of crossover promotion would be quite effective such as if a celebrity monk were to compete on "Dancing With The Stars".
  • edited December 2009
    I think i have fallen into the category of compulsive excitement before in my life. My brother used to call it nervous stupidity (he's nicer than that usually). I think its the hallmark of living FOR the moment which as Kabat Zinn points out is not the same as Living IN the moment. It almost seems like a reaction the past when everything was done out of duty- now the only thing worth doing is stimulating your own sense of fun: hedonism. People seem to try hard to be happy don't they (I know i do sometimes). A fine line bewteen a desperate smile and a grimace. I've been much happier when it is effortless and and i'm satisfied. I also agree that tryiong to be high all the time will set you up for a fall. We don't live in Disneyland.
    I think the middle ground is 'satisfied' - not excited, not depressed; not thinking about what you've lost, not thinking what you might get. Being satisfied with what you have right now...I'll try to follow my own advice :rolleyes:
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2009
    2010 is coming! It's coming!
    I am SOOOO excited!!:D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Nirvana wrote: »
    2010 is coming! It's coming!
    I am SOOOO excited!!:D

Good lord! Calm down!

Palzang