Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is lost from enlightenment?

2»

Comments

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Clearly I never got my point across. Never mind, no point in being argumentative.
  • edited March 2010
    Florian,

I’m sorry if my method of investigation seems argumentative to you. I just want to say, please don’t misunderstand my intentions. I was neither frustrated nor angry towards you. This was purely academic.

Agreeing isn't the only way t get along.

Peace is a skill,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    S9 --
    On the other hand, Buddha Nature, which is what the Buddha finally understood to be Reality does know everything that is Real. Buddha Nature is the ONLY thing that is an experience of Reality.

Are you perhaps getting your terminology muddled, S9 ?

There is no mention of Lord Buddha or anyone else speaking of "Buddha Nature" in the Pali Canon.

In Vajrayana, however, the term ''Buddha Nature" is described as : T. sangs-rgyas -kyi-khams/rigs

"Unrealised enlightened mind, the essential nature of all sentient beings"

(Awakening the Sleeping Buddha -H.E. Tai Situpa)

...in other words the potential all living things have for enlightenment.

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited March 2010
    S9 - No no, I was suggesting that my approach was argumentative. By which I meant I was being pedantic.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I used to think life was all fun until I started not getting things I crave for and getting things I hated. Then I thought life was suffering... That got me to read Buddhism. Now I know that life is not the problem. It's my clinging that is the problem. The solution is within myself
  • edited March 2010
    Dazzle,

D: Are you perhaps getting your terminology muddled, S9?
    In Vajrayana, however, the term ''Buddha Nature" is described as:
    "Unrealised enlightened mind, the essential nature of all sentient beings"
    ...in other words the potential all living things have for enlightenment.

S9: I think that was my point. Potential promised and potential fulfilled, (same/same), is Buddha Nature.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    Deshy,

D: I used to think life was all fun until I started not getting things I crave for and getting things I hated. Then I thought life was suffering... That got me to read Buddhism.

S9: I think that we were always suffering, even when we were very little children. It simply went unexamined and accepted as a given (what is).

I almost wonder since our brains are said to keep growing all through our lives, if suffering isn’t a good sign that points towards a spiritual maturation. Our minds begin to discriminate and see all too clearly that “Suffering is,” and not to just feel an unexamined dissatisfaction.

D: Now I know that life is not the problem. It's my clinging that is the problem. The solution is within myself.

S9: Through this same discrimination that at first simply tasted of knowing we were suffering, we continue to grow in such a way as to see some of the roots of that suffering, like craving and clinging.

Q: “We have found the enemy, and it is our self.”

Perhaps it is more about who we have thought we were, rather than who we actually are. This false identification with a false self brings us into a false hell, no doubt. : ^ (

Warm Regards,
    S9