Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christmas Comes Early

edited December 2009 in Philosophy
In the form of a new Library of Tibetan Classics volume.
This one is on the history of Tibetan Medicine and it is awesome.
I'm a nerd.

here is the link to the book if there are any other Buddhist nerds out there.

http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=33095&-Token.Action=&image=1

Comments

• FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Wow.. Thanks.

An equally nerdy aside. Some authorities consider 'vaidurya' not to be lapis lazuli at all, but to be Beryl, which comes in a variety of hues.

So if, like me, you have pictured the Medicine Buddha as 'lapis' coloured and even bought lapis as a Tibetan Buddhist stone, you may need to ask Santa for some beryl.

Robert Beer has a couple of excellent books on such symbolism. There is an Encyclopaedia, and this much cheaper tome:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handbook-Tibetan-Buddhist-Symbols-Robert/dp/1932476032/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261595951&sr=1-2

Here is another on Tibetan Medicine by David Crow, a modern observer:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Medicine-Buddha-Himalayan-Journey/dp/1585421073/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261596152&sr=1-1

My Yuletide present was this book on Tantra as it occurs worldwide, replete with scriptural texts, including Buddhist:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0691057796/sr=1-1/qid=1261596296/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1261596296&sr=1-1&seller=

(it's now on offer very cheaply from Amazon, around £4.00 new from the Amazon 'marketpace', and elsewhere).
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    What do you enjoy about the history of Tibetan medicine?
  • edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    What do you enjoy about the history of Tibetan medicine?

the entire thing is quite fascinating really.
    the book goes into detail on the Bodhisattvic nature of mastering the science of medicine and healing. the book also recounts traditional Indian mythology about the origins of Ayurveda etc.
    Actually the book is both interesting historically and relevant to ones daily practice.
  • edited December 2009
    Shenpen,

Is there anything in the book about treating certain illnesses, like migraines for instance?

S9
  • edited December 2009
    Shenpen,

Is there anything in the book about treating certain illnesses, like migraines for instance?

S9
    the book contains very little about actual treatment.
    there might be some info on certain medicinal plants that could help migraines.
    i'm not positive since i havnt finished the book yet.
    but if you struggle with migraines and want to investigate Tibetan medical treatments you should contact someone at the Shang Shung Institute in Conway MA. It is a school that teaches Tibetan medicine.
  • edited December 2009
    Shenpen,

Thanx for the info. I'll look into that real soon.

S9
  • edited December 2009
    Shenpen,

Thanx for the info. I'll look into that real soon.

S9
    you're welcome.
    they offer a very interesting and unique program.
  • edited December 2009
    I have taken Tibetan medicine at various times in my life and some of the treatments seemed beneficial, but not others.

The most effective treatment I ever had was from acupuncture which was given by a Tibetan doctor.

• edited December 2009
    Dazzle,

I had acupuncture, too.

In those days, I used to have killer migraines that could last many days. After just minutes on the table, tiny needle sticking out everywhere, the headache was completely gone…like a miracle.

This seemed to have a carry over that lasted about a month, b/4 the headaches returned. So it wasn’t a cure. But it was great.

However, I went to another practitioner, and the headaches only got worse. So it may be an art as well as a technology.

I had bought some needles from out of the country, was going to operate on myself. : ^ ) But, after that 2nd treatment went so poorly, I was afraid to just do that.

I'm slow, but I can learn. ; ^ )

S9
  • edited December 2009
    Shenpen,

I was reading around about Tibetn medicine and ran into a book I thought sounded interesting. Have you ever heard of Dr Terry Clifford? A book: “The Diamond Healing” both med and psychology from Tibet? They have a free Google book on this. Interesting.

S9
  • edited December 2009
    Subjectivity9
    However, I went to another practitioner, and the headaches only got worse. So it may be an art as well as a technology.

Yes it's definately an art. The Tibetan doctor was very skilful with his insertion and manipulation of the needles.

On a different occasion I had some acupuncture from a Chinese practitioner and one of the places of insertion flared up in a large painful lump and the treatment was unsuccessful.
    I had bought some needles from out of the country, was going to operate on myself.

Woa, not a good idea, acupuncturists undergo extensive training !

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    In those days, I used to have killer migraines that could last many days. After just minutes on the table, tiny needle sticking out everywhere, the headache was completely gone…like a miracle.

This seemed to have a carry over that lasted about a month, b/4 the headaches returned. So it wasn’t a cure. But it was great.

Indeed. Acupuncture, as with many alternative therapies, is an art.

Years ago, I sought treatment for a complicated injury and consulted a number of therapists before settling on acupuncture.

Whilst basically seeing only one acupucturist, I visited other acupuncturists if I travelled.

Just like the osteopaths, masseurs, chiropractors, etc, I tried, the efficacy of the acupuncture differs from practitioner to practitioner.

When I was searching for treatment, after trying a few osteopaths & masseurs, as soon as I had my first treatment from the acupuncturist, I knew: "He is the one!".

If one is seeking some help, one must search and try not only different treatments but different practitioners.

That is my experience.

:)
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks DD,

For sharing. You are very kind to do so.

S9