Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Not EXACTLY Buddhist but I thought I'd share it ...

edited January 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Greetings Earth People!

Happy Holidays 2 all ...

Here's a piece of advice I find VERY useful:

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, "The one I feed the most."

Namaste

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    My teacher tells that story repeatedly.
  • edited December 2009
    You must have a wise teacher. I have learnt almost exclusively from books & cyberspace.

Here's some more non-Buddhist advice ...

What we can learn from a dog:

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy-ride.

Get the most out of the experience of fresh air and wind in your face

When family members come home, always run to greet them.

Be obedient; when it’s in your best interest.

Protect your territory.

Take naps and stretch before rising.

Run and play daily.

Eat with enthusiasm.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you’re not.

If you want what is buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close and nuzzle them
    gently.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Don’t bite when a growl will do.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

No matter how often you’re scolded, don’t feel guilty and pout. Run right back and make friends.

Bond with your pack.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Namaste

:)
  • edited December 2009
    Just thought I would say, peace to all.

Namaste
  • edited December 2009
    Welcome 2 the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay.

I see this is your first post.

Nice to have you on board.

Namaste
  • edited December 2009
    I love you as you are, as you seek to find your own special way to relate to the world, or the way you feel that is right for you. It is important that you are the person you want to be and not someone that I or others think you should be. I realize that I cannot know what is best for you although perhaps sometimes I think I do. I've not been where you have been, viewing life from that angle you have, I do not know what you have chosen to learn, how you have chosen to learn it, with whom or in what time period. I have not walked life looking through your eyes so how can I know what you need.

I allow you to be in the world without a thought or word of judgment from me about the deeds you undertake. I see no error in the things you say and do, in this place where I am. I see that there are many ways to perceive and experience the different facets of our world. I allow without reservation the choices you make in each moment.

I make no judgment of this for if I were to deny your right to evolution than I would deny that right to myself and all others. To those who would choose a way I cannot walk, whilst I may not choose to add my power and my energy to this way, I will never deny you the gift of love that God has bestowed within me for all creation, as I love you so I shall be loved, as I sow, so I shall reap.

I allow you the universal right of free will to walk your own path, creating steps or to sit a while if that is what is right for you. I will make no judgment of these steps, whether they are large or small, nor light or heavy or that they lead up or down, for this is just my viewpoint. I see you do nothing and judge it to be unworthy and yet it may be that you bring great healing as you stand blessed by the light of God.

I cannot always see the higher picture of divine order. For it is the inalienable right of all life to choose their own evolution and with great love I acknowledge your right to determine your future. In humility I bow to the realization that the way I see is best for me does not have to mean that it is also right for you. I know that you are led as I am following the inner excitement to know your own path.

I know that the many races, religions, customs, nationalities and beliefs within our world bring us great richness and allow us the benefit of teachings of such diverseness. I know we each learn in our own unique way in order to bring that love and wisdom back to the whole. I know that if there were only one way to do something, there would need to be only one person. I will not only love you if you behave in a way I think you should, or believe in those things I believe in, I understand you are truly my brother and sister though you may have been born in a different place and believe in another God than I.

The love I feel is for all of God's world. I know that every living thing is part of God and I feel a love deep with every person, and all tree, and flower, every bird, river, ocean and for all the creatures in all the world. I live my life in loving service being the best me I can becoming wiser in the perfection of divine truth, becoming happier in the joy of unconditional love.

Namaste
  • edited December 2009
    To begin, is anyone in the Colorado area? If so, please suggest a place to meditate and to appreciate the Buddhist life. I know of a couple places but I am actually too nervous to go. I thought if I had a little insight on a place or two, my comfort level would be better.

Also, I just wanted to add that I am very pleased with my new journey into the Buddhist world.

Thanks,
    yogahiker7
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited December 2009
    If you want to drive to Salt Lake I go to a Zen center that is spectacular.
  • edited January 2010
    Well, Salt Lake would be a big trip for me. Between work and college, I am not sure when I would find the time. However, as soon as I do, I might just venture that way. Thanks :)
  • edited January 2010
    I know of a couple places but I am actually too nervous to go.

This is an opprotunity to explore the teachings of the Buddha and investigate this nervousness. It is absolutly OK to be anxious! You arn't harming anyone by doing it, so there is really nothing to be concerned about. Meanwhile, people are out in the world acting mindlessly and basically killing eachother. So maybe this nervousness isn't really that bad of a thing afterall. No one at any of those places is going to put you down for being nervous. That is what the dhamma is about. Not judging. We can't control whether we feel nervous or not, but we can control how we react to it. So please don't miss this opprotunity to go to a center and explore the dhamma for yourself. It is very open and welcoming to absolutly everyone.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Cool yogahiker. It would be a big trip just for the center and I am sure there are others closer but if you are in this neck of the woods feel free to hit me up. (on a side note, even though the hiking here doesn't have any 14k's there are some pretty cool hikes out here you could tie into your trip.)

Namaste
  • edited January 2010
    Zenone,
    You are right. Feeling free of judgement and not judging others is one of the reasons I love the Buddhist culture so much. Thanks for reminding me. I am making plans on attending a local place this weekend. Thanks again.... your words have put me to ease.
  • edited January 2010
    Quiet_Witness I will be sure to look you up if I end up that way. All 14ers are on my list to complete, someday. There is so much peace and joy in the mountains....
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Greetings Earth People!

Happy Holidays 2 all ...

Here's a piece of advice I find VERY useful:

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, "The one I feed the most."

Namaste

That's superb. Thanks for sharing