Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS (CULTURALLY SPEAKING)

edited December 2009 in General Banter
Hi Guys,

I imagine a lot of us will be doing the Christmas thing because our families celebrate and we sort of end up mucking in with it all, if onyl because they all put so much into it it'd be a bit rude and odd-really not to. So I wanted to say, for what it is, Happy Christmas to all my buddhist friends.

I am truly thankful for the fun, support and insight I have gotten from NB over the past 8 months or so even if in more recent times I haven't had a computer of my own and therefore rely on sneaky ones at work :-)

All my love to everyone and you can be sure I will be thinking of you... all around the globe...

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    "A very merry un-christmas to you!
    To me?
    A very merry un-Christmas to you!"

Thank you sara, and have a good one, whatever that may entail - and every one else, too!!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2009
    It just occurred to me that whether Christmas makes for greater merriment for the greatest number depends on whether or not more loneliness and suffering is created by it than if there were not Xmas.

If it's true that the more we have to focus on our egos the more we suffer and the more we are alone, I believe that Christmas causes more suffering than its absence.

In spite of which, we have to make the most of it, Huh?

I wish everyone as Happy a Christmas as Possible!!!!!!
  • edited December 2009
    Here in South Africa, Christmas is more of a year-end general celebration for most of the people. It's also MID SUMMER now - people spend a great deal of time outdoors. Everybody joins in the celebrations. I am invited too - I just go with the flow (but no alcohol and stuff) and try not to hurt anyone's feelings.

To all those who will join in the celebrations - have a wonderful time!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Merryyyyyyyyyyy Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone. :)
  • edited December 2009
    Have a good Xmas everyone - and may all beings have peace and happiness.

_/\_

• edited December 2009
    Today feels so weird... I am a practicing buddhist with 6p in the bank, I take care with what I eat and I have a very tense relationship with alcohol... Christmas is the antithesis to everything I am lol, but it's a good test for the ego... I am MORE than my lifestyle and beliefs.

Now, it's been 2 1/2 years since I started practicing and I don't observe any buddhist holidays... what holiday is there in the buddhist calendar that celebrates buddhism, followers of the 'faith', the power of love and right thinking. I really want to celebrate this now. I feel the importance of doing so for the first time.

What buddhist dates/ occasions do YOU observe?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Merry Christmas, everyone!
  • edited December 2009
    federica wrote: »

Oh perfect thanks Fede!!