Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Name your Top 3 favorite Buddhist readings

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hello folkz!

Still trying to find my way in the vast amount of Buddhist readings, I am very interested in hearing what readings have inspired you, members of newbuddhist, in trying to make the Buddhist philosophy more your own with each day passing.

So please share with us all, what are your TOP 3 favorite readings:

(Title - Author) example :

1. The Handbook for Mankind - Bhuddhadasa Bhikkhu
2. etc.
3. etc.

Thanks always !! :)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    This is so completely cheating, but I think the three should be read together....

1: 'The "Awakening" Trilogy by Lama Surya Das (3 books, but soooo good together!)
    2: 'The Tibetan Book of living & Dying' - Sogyal Rinpoche
    3: 'The Art of Happiness' - HH the DL and Howard C Cutler.

As a Theravada Buddhist, for me to list three essentially Mahayana books seems an anomaly.
    It's not.
    Discard all the superficial extraneous differences between Theravada and Mahayana, and essentially, the Buddha's message is the same for anyone.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks FLOATING ABU, great link !
    1: 'The "Awakening" Trilogy by Lama Surya Das (3 books, but soooo good together!)
    2: 'The Tibetan Book of living & Dying' - Sogyal Rinpoche
    3: 'The Art of Happiness' - HH the DL and Howard C Cutler.

As a Theravada Buddhist, for me to list three essentially Mahayana books seems an anomaly.
    It's not.
    Discard all the superficial extraneous differences between Theravada and Mahayana, and essentially, the Buddha's message is the same for anyone.
    Thanks Federica, so you mean to say these are Theravada Buddhist readings then? Sorry, I am not yet up to speed with all differences.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Ok.have a look at this link. Maybe that will help.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I've learned more through hearing teachers speak than through reading. I tend to retain more that way.Among the more memorable reads however are the following:

1.) Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away by Ajahn Chah
    2.) When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron
    2.) Focused and Fearless by Shaila Catherine
  • edited December 2009
    Joseph Goldstein's "One Dharma" was the first book that I read regarding Buddhism and meditation. I was led to this book by an interview that Mr. Goldstein gave to Robert Wright on Slate TV.

Jack Kornfield's "After The Ecstasy, The Laundry: How The Heart Grows Wise On The Spiritual Path" is another book that I have returned to often. This book discusses several different spiritual traditions and how they are woven into the lives of lay people as well as clerics.

Andrea Hurst and Beth Wilson's "The Lazy Dog's Guide To Enlightenment" is very illuminating. I have yet to hear or read of any man or woman who has approached the level of enlightenment of the pet dog. Unconditionally loving and forgiving, effusively joyful in the most simple of comforts, dogs provide our greatest examples of how to live.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited December 2009
    This is my list in no particular order...

1) Guide to the Bodhisattva's way of life (Bodhicaryavatara) by Shantideva- (a very inspiring text...)

2) Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand-(Translation of a month long "Lam Rim" teaching given in Tibet, 1929 by Kyabje Pabonka Rinpoche)

3) The Three Principal Aspects of the Path-(an oral teaching by Geshe Sonam Rinchen)

Though I have read other good books, These are the three that I seem to keep going back to for continuous study.
  • edited December 2009
    Getting Unstuck by Pema Chodron is why I'm a Buddhist.
    Comfortable with Uncertainty by Pema Chodron lives on my nightstand.
    But I also recommend
    Heart as Wide as the World by Sharon Salzberg
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Mindfulness, bliss and beyond by Ajhan Brahm
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks so much for sharing people, I hope to able to look 'em all up! :)