Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Emptiness and the true self

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I can't quite grasp the concept of emptiness and the reality of who I am. Until this moment I thought that the true self was the awareness behind the body and the mind. The mind is thinking and I am aware of that but I am not the one who is thinking. But upon reading about emptiness I begin to wonder what emptiness is and who am I if no real self exists. I would like some wisdom on this matter. Please give me your thoughts. Thank you.

Comments

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Emptiness is the unfindability of a thing when searched for. We have a strong belief in a thing, but when when we try to pin down precisely what it is, we can't do it. For example, the self. Sometimes we equate the self with the body, as when saying "I hurt all over." Sometimes we identify the self with the mind, as when saying "I am nervous." Sometimes we equate the self with the owner of the mind, as when saying, "I could not control my thoughts." What we take to be the self shifts around, which shows that there is no self, it is only a concept. And careful argument shows that neither the body, the mind, nor anything else can properly be called the self. So we say the self is empty.
  • edited December 2009
    So we are not awareness or consciousness? I have meditated deeply and moved as far back as I could to discover that the only thing that could not be seperated is the awareness or consciousness. And what is emptiness? How do I understand this? What sort of meditation should I do?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    So we are not awareness or consciousness? I have meditated deeply and moved as far back as I could to discover that the only thing that could not be seperated is the awareness or consciousness. And what is emptiness? How do I understand this? What sort of meditation should I do?

The answer depends on who you ask. As a doctrinal term, emptiness (adj. sunna, noun sunnata) in and of itself is used in a couple of different but related ways in Theravada. In one context, emptiness is used as a mode of perception, a way of looking at experience that's utilized in meditation (e.g., MN 121, MN 122).

In another context, emptiness refers to the insubstantiality of the five clinging-aggregates (khandhas) and the six sense media (ayatanas) (e.g., SN 2295, SN 35.85). In this sense, it's synonymous with not-self (anatta).

Personally, my opinion is that the teachings on emptiness (esp. in the Pali Canon) are often taken out of context, and coincidentally, far removed from their intended purpose. For example, the view of emptiness that things have no inherent existence, while philosophically complex and seemingly implicit in the teachings on dependent co-arising, actually developed over time (possibly beginning with Nagarjuna, who I believe was attempting to deconstruct all of the prevalent philosophical views of the time by using a combination of logical analysis and sleight of hand in order to show how these views were ultimately illogical from the standpoint of emptiness, esp. in regard to the Abhidhammika's idea that things exist by way of intrinsic characteristics).

As Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains, "emptiness is a mode of perception, a way of looking at experience" (Emptiness). Moreover, "... the idea of emptiness as lack of inherent existence has very little to do with what the Buddha himself said about emptiness. His teachings on emptiness — as reported in the earliest Buddhist texts, the Pali Canon — deal directly with actions and their results, with issues of pleasure and pain" (The Integrity of Emptiness).

As for how the term "emptiness" is understood on Mahayana and Vajrayana, well, that's whole different story.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009

The subtle point that needs to be seen through the practice of meditation is the relationship between awareness and your so-called self. Which most likely is not what you understand it to be. Just continue with your current practice, or find a teacher and ask their advice.

I tried to explain emptiness in my first comment.
  • edited December 2009
    So basically I am not even awareness. The true I is using awareness as a means to understand the sense world. And in this place of observation all I can really do is accept with love and compassion all I am becoming aware of as the true I has no desires to change anything it is aware of. And
    if I am in this place of full acceptance it must be because the true I must understand that everything is unfolding precisely as it needs to unfold. It must have supreme knowledge and understanding. I guess I just have to hang out in that place where I am the true self and learn by realizing all my qualities. What do you guys think?
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    The mind is thinking and I am aware of that but I am not the one who is thinking.
    'Self' is not thinking but it is produced by a certain kind of thinking.

Once thinking in terms of 'self' is gone, 'self' is gone.

When you say 'awareness is self', that is just more thinking.

:)
    edited December 2009
    I guess I just have to hang out in that place where I am the true self and learn by realizing all my qualities.
    Ultimately, there is no real abiding permanent self. But there is a conventional self.

• edited December 2009
    Ultimately, there is no real abiding permanent self. But there is a conventional self.

The problem I have with that is that during that period that you know there is no true abiding self who is the one who is aware of that? If we are mindful then awareness is ever present. Ultimately it seems to me that an essence of something remains which can not be described; only known through direct experience.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    It's a tricky point, but there is no true I that knows or understands, there is only the understanding. As you practice, how you relate to the mind changes. You shouldn't think it's only understanding new stuff in the old way.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    You are assuming that there has to be some kind of self for there to be awareness...
  • edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    You are assuming that there has to be some kind of self for there to be awareness...

Yes. Who is aware? Awareness cannot just be. There has to be a purpose for the awareness; to inform the Self of the 6 senses (sight, smell, taste, hearing, touch, and thoughts).

Perhaps I have to move beyond that experience.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Yes. Who is aware? Awareness cannot just be. There has to be a purpose for the awareness; to inform the Self of the 6 senses (sight, smell, taste, hearing, touch, and thoughts).

Perhaps I have to move beyond that experience.

I suggest reading SN 35.23:
    "Monks, I will teach you the All. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range."

And SN 22.59:
    Thus I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was living at Benares, in the Deer Park at Isipatana (the Resort of Seers). There he addressed the bhikkhus of the group of five: "Bhikkhus." — "Venerable sir," they replied. The Blessed One said this.

"Bhikkhus, form is not-self. Were form self, then this form would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.' And since form is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.'

"Bhikkhus, feeling is not-self...

"Bhikkhus, perception is not-self...

"Bhikkhus, determinations are not-self...

"Bhikkhus, consciousness is not self. Were consciousness self, then this consciousness would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.' And since consciousness is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.'

"Bhikkhus, how do you conceive it: is form permanent or impermanent?" — "Impermanent, venerable Sir." — "Now is what is impermanent painful or pleasant?" — "Painful, venerable Sir." — "Now is what is impermanent, what is painful since subject to change, fit to be regarded thus: 'This is mine, this is I, this is my self'"? — "No, venerable sir."

"Is feeling permanent or impermanent?...

"Is perception permanent or impermanent?...

"Are determinations permanent or impermanent?...

"Is consciousness permanent or impermanent?" — "Impermanent, venerable sir." — "Now is what is impermanent pleasant or painful?" — "Painful, venerable sir." — "Now is what is impermanent, what is painful since subject to change, fit to be regarded thus: 'This is mine, this is I, this is my self'"? — "No, venerable sir."

"So, bhikkhus any kind of form whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near, must with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not myself.'

"Any kind of feeling whatever...

"Any kind of perception whatever...

"Any kind of determination whatever...

"Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self.'

"Bhikkhus, when a noble follower who has heard (the truth) sees thus, he finds estrangement in form, he finds estrangement in feeling, he finds estrangement in perception, he finds estrangement in determinations, he finds estrangement in consciousness.

"When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated. He understands: 'Birth is exhausted, the holy life has been lived out, what can be done is done, of this there is no more beyond.'"

That is what the Blessed One said. The bhikkhus were glad, and they approved his words.

Now during this utterance, the hearts of the bhikkhus of the group of five were liberated from taints through clinging no more.
  • edited December 2009
    Yes, I see now that the Awakened one was talking about the 7th state of consciousness. But in order to get there do we not need to go through all the other stages? I am stuck in stage 4, Self Awareness, how do I move to the next stage? (just in case you don't know what I am talking about here is a link http://www.psycanics.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=45 ) How do I move into Samadhi and the rest of the stages until finally I reach the 7th stage?
    edited December 2009
    ...who is the one who is aware of that?
    Your question is not fitting. The appropriate question is "what is aware of that?"

• edited December 2009
    Can we really "mix and match" Psycanics concepts with Buddhist concepts? :)
  • edited December 2009
    Emptiness is the unfindability of a thing when searched for. We have a strong belief in a thing, but when when we try to pin down precisely what it is, we can't do it. For example, the self. Sometimes we equate the self with the body, as when saying "I hurt all over." Sometimes we identify the self with the mind, as when saying "I am nervous." Sometimes we equate the self with the owner of the mind, as when saying, "I could not control my thoughts." What we take to be the self shifts around, which shows that there is no self, it is only a concept. And careful argument shows that neither the body, the mind, nor anything else can properly be called the self. So we say the self is empty.
    Excellent explanation, made things pretty clear to me :)