Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Buddhism the only way?

edited January 2010 in Faith & Religion
I am not sure if creating a thread based on another thread coincides with the rules. I had to hurry and post before the thought escapes me.

Thanks.

_______
in response to:
http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=946
"But, ACTUALLY, buddhism is NOT A RELIGION, not a philosophy, but a kind of education or teaching that needed by everyone. Buddhism is defined as an education to obtain the ultimate wisdom which can discover the truth of universe and humanity, simplify saying is buddhism let us know ourselves and the environment, let our mind return to buddha (enlightenment), dharma (truth) and sangha (cleanliness). This is a basic of buddhism...."

??? How is Buddhism needed by everyone
??? Isn't it materialistic to say that is an education that is used to obtain ultimate wisdom
??? I thought Buddhism was just one path among many

If you say that Buddhism is an education or a teaching tool well typically there can be many (ways) branches to teach something, yet the goal is still the same. One cannot say that the only way to teach a child to swim is to toss him into the water.

Just saying there are more than one paths to enlightenment, truth, and cleanliness as a Christian I don't think that Buddhism is the ultimate way, that is more like king of the mountain rheurtoric?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    First of all, as you might have seen by scrolling down, I actually disagreed with the OP.

You also have to remember that English was not his native tongue, and he came from Kuala Lumpur.
    Kuala Lumpur is predominantly a Moslem country, with an eclectic and tolerated mix of other religions thrown in.
    Therefore, this person (who only posted 4 times in 2005) had a great deal of local, cultural and social conditioning and influence.

For my part to answer your questions:
    How is Buddhism needed by everyone?
    It would be more accurate to say that Buddhist teachings can benefit everyone.
    Isn't it materialistic to say that is an education that is used to obtain ultimate wisdom
    No, of course not. Why 'materialistic'? The whole point of Buddhism is to recognise suffering and develop the Wiosdom to bring it to an end. That would entail releasing craving and attachment to the impermanent.
    Everything compounded and material is impermanent. so ultimately, Buddhism and attaining Wisdom is the least materialistic path of doing so....
    I thought Buddhism was just one path among many?
    It is. But it's the only path without the distraction of a Deity.
    It's the only path that requires the traveller to seek within, rather than to depend on an outside power....
    If you say that Buddhism is an education or a teaching tool well typically there can be many (ways) branches to teach something, yet the goal is still the same. One cannot say that the only way to teach a child to swim is to toss him into the water.
    True.
    But you have to find an effective way, and not one that will burden the child with lead weights.
    Buddhism teaches us how to stop struggling, and how to lighten the load.
    Not sure exactly what your point is here.....
    Just saying there are more than one paths to enlightenment, truth, and cleanliness as a Christian I don't think that Buddhism is the ultimate way, that is more like king of the mountain rheurtoric?
    Why do you not think Buddhism is the ultimate way?
    What do you know of Buddhism to contradict that statement?
    because, as an ex-Christian, for me it's a darn sight better than that which I used to take.

But that's just my opinion.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hi, DesiDani.

Welcome to the forum.

I think you ask very good questions here and I think I'm like you in that I don't like to hear that one religion, philosophy, or path is the 'only' true one.

Aside from how arrogant and holier-than-though it sounds, it's also just silly.
    Regarding the finding of Ultimate Truth, there are as many paths that lead to that Truth and as many branches along those paths as there are people in existence and we're all at different places on our own individual paths. On top of that, our own individual path changes throughout our lives. We come across Truths at many different times in our lives no matter what path we're on and where we are on it.

So I think it might be closer to the truth to say, "Whatever path brought me to Truth was the only one for me". :D

(Hmmm....I wonder how many more times I can put the word "Truth" into this post...?)
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited December 2009
    DesiDani,

I agree with Brigid everyone leads their own path towards enlightenment. For me, the teachings of Buddha have simplified my life and brought a greater sense of awarness and spirituality; Christianity did quite the opposite for me, I only saw hypocrisy, power struggles, and rulers instead of teachers. I do, however, believe that what we have of what Jesus taught has many true principles just like what Buddha taught. It is the men that have followed him, that have brought on corruption.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited December 2009
    "So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them.

Kalama Sutta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.065.than.html
  • edited January 2010
    Is Buddhism the only way? It depends on which way you wish to go. The Buddha don't forget (if you believe the stories in the suttas) has gone through eons of purification and development of paramitas to be able to get to the point of attaining Buddhahood. The Buddha is the one who rediscovered the path to perfection after it was lost for so long. He alone taught the path to others so that they may also attain arhathood. Do you then believe that the xtian path leads to the same "destination"? What about the Islamic path? What about the Jains or the Hindus? Those last 2 certainly claim to.

I am a Buddhist simply because after investigating these other religious systems currently on this planet I deliberately came to the conclusion that only the Buddhist path leads to complete cessation, complete cooling, complete destruction of the taints. I really don't see how one can call oneself a Buddhist and believe otherwise.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think it can be like a flight... Some times your flight stops somewhere for awhile while the next plane is awaited to take you to your destination. Another religion could provide for the developement they need. Even if they don't receive a full path perhaps it could be a stop along the way (think lifetimes not months or years). I think in Christianity or Islam you would still be subject to the negativity in your mind and you would still have to confront every stage.

Trying to make someone become a buddhist at the wrong time might be like stealing their ticket to chicago and making them walk by foot all the while to their final destination. When all the while a plane was waiting for them (Buddha airlines B) ) in Chicago.
  • edited January 2010
    I totally agree, Jeffrey. I don't deny that different religions provide something for different people at various stages of their spiritual development. I consider xtianity just a part of my development on the path to finding Buddhism. However, I would not go so far to state that other religions provide the path to complete cessation. Only the Noble Eightfold Path to Perfection can do that and only the Buddhas prescribe this solution to the ailment of suffering.
  • edited January 2010
    I read a book recently that explained religion as "the practise of heart and soul" i like this, Buddhism works for me as another religion works for someone else.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Its not the only way id hate to point this out but there are lots of other religions as well LOL
    Buddhism is pretty clear and gives much needed instructions on how to control your own mind something i think which is pretty lacking else where in more god-centric religions.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Everyone religion has it's own way... I always say 'match a religion to your beliefs, not your beliefs to a religion' :)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Everyone religion has it's own way... I always say 'match a religion to your beliefs, not your beliefs to a religion' :)

Your pretty much saying the same thing there dude :lol:
    edited January 2010
    LOL It is not :lol:
    It's like a person saying 'I was born as a Christian so I believe in Jesus as the son of God' compared to someone saying 'I became a Christian because I believe in Jesus as the son of God.'
    The first one is being gullible and untrue to themselves where as the second is being who they want to be.
    edited January 2010
    idiot_award_5.jpg