Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gospel of Thomas and pantheism

edited December 2009 in Faith & Religion
This REALLY intrigued me so I thought it deserved its own thread. The gospel of Thomas contains just sayings of Jesus and no stories attatched, and its an older book than the gospels in the contemporary bible. There are many parallels and phrases in the gospel of thomas that are also in the contemporary gospels.

It's said that gnosticism found its roots from this gospel, but its not a gnostic book itself since it lacks the fullblown mythology of gnosticism. In the gospel of thomas, jesus says:
When you see your likeness, you are happy. But when you see your images that came into being before and that neither die nor become visible, how much you will bear!
If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.
Whoever drinks from my mouth will become like me; I myself shall become that person, and the hidden things will be revealed to him

This seems completely counter to the main messages of the New Testament, and seems to have a message more congruent with hinduism, and to a lesser extent, buddhism! Discuss...

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    ...seems to have a message more congruent with hinduism, and to a lesser extent, buddhism! Discuss...
    Indeed it does. The G.o.T. is Advaita Hinduism. Jesus was basically a Brahmin who taught about Brahma, namely, The Father Of All.

:)