Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tiger Woods is immoral because he's a Buddhist

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Great advice, Brit. I'm sure that'd fix everything. :rolleyes:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think it plays on a logical phallacy people have (not sure what its called?). If people only have a face on buddhism from a few people and if one of them is having some kind of disaster. Then they may conclude that this is true of all buddhists.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Man I wish I knew the slightest thing about christianity so I could post something relevant.

But I doubt if Jesus knew anything about Buddhism when he comes back he wouldn't say something like Humes has said.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I do think that Christian commentators should be very careful about motes in others' eyes when there are bloody great beams in the churches'.
  • edited January 2010
    It's not really a surprise that this is coming from FOX news, is it? I wonder how much Ol' Brit actually knows about Buddhism. To him, we're probably just a cult of jolly fat guy worshipers.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Doh....
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I once lost my wallet and a lady found it and took it to the police station. I took her some flowers as a thank-you. A few day later I got a letter from her asking me to 'turn to Christ' as only a Christian would have returned my lost wallet. She enclosed a Bible.

I just sent her a letter to say thank you, but I was really tempted to try and persuade her that honesty is not restricted to Christians.

I do lose my wallet occasionally. Lost it twice in India and both times the shopkeepers tracked me down and returned it . Of course, they could have been Christians too!

Fox is appalling IMHO - just like politicians, they pander to the God-botherers whenever they can.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I once lost my wallet at a fraternity where the members were notorious for breaking the windows of the house so they could urinate out the window and continue partying. Don't ask me what I was doing there :rolleyes:

Someone from the fraternity called my number and returned it. They even asked me to join the fraternity when they return the wallet. AFAIK breaking windows and peeing out them is not part of Christianity. I could be wrong :D.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Certainly Christians never commit adultery.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Never premarital sex either.
    edited January 2010
    And always take that "till death do us part" bit seriously. Just ask my preacher aunt, she's been married 4 times.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Man I wish I knew the slightest thing about christianity so I could post something relevant.

But I doubt if Jesus knew anything about Buddhism when he comes back he wouldn't say something like Humes has said.

It may interest you to know that there are records in Tibet that scholars think indicate that Jesus may indeed have studied Buddhism. And you are right, Jesus would not have said any such thing... but then Christians don't necessarily follow Jesus' teachings.

On the topic of adultery... wrong whatever your spiritual leanings. End of story.
    edited January 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I once lost my wallet at a fraternity where the members were notorious for breaking the windows of the house so they could urinate out the window and continue partying. Don't ask me what I was doing there :rolleyes:

Someone from the fraternity called my number and returned it. They even asked me to join the fraternity when they return the wallet. AFAIK breaking windows and peeing out them is not part of Christianity. I could be wrong :D.

Defenestration is a tried and tested form of dealing with Christian disputes.
    Simply chuck your your opponents out of the window en masse.
    In Prague they found it so effective that they did it twice!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

Not sure if they urinated on them afterwards. LOL :)
    edited January 2010
    LesC wrote: »
    It may interest you to know that there are records in Tibet that scholars think indicate that Jesus may indeed have studied Buddhism. And you are right, Jesus would not have said any such thing... but then Christians don't necessarily follow Jesus' teachings.

On the topic of adultery... wrong whatever your spiritual leanings. End of story.

Hmm. Lots of Indians I have met insist that Jesus studied with Indian gurus (in India) during the gaps in his biography. I suspect they may also have records to prove it. LOL :)
  • edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    Hmm. Lots of Indians I have met insist that Jesus studied with Indian gurus (in India) during the gaps in his biography. I suspect they may also have records to prove it. LOL :)

There must be flight records with passenger lists that would show this.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    To me marriage is a committment and no more.

So adultery to me is no different from cheating on a boy/girlfriend other than on top of that you have also broken a committment.

Adultery when you have children is no different from cheating on a boy/girlfriend who you have children with.

This is just how I see marriage. I don't have a high expectation from marriage.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Both Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggert were only able to score some EXCELLENT tail, rake in millions, make a full recovery AND get their Jesus-Buddy merit badges because they are Christians.

I'm afraid Tiger is the only person who has ever had sex out of their marriage and he is doomed.

Find Jesus, Tiger!

-bf
    edited January 2010
    Thread title is mistyped:

Tiger Woods is IMMORTAL because he's a Buddhist!

Fox news says so! :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Thread title is mistyped:

Tiger Woods is IMMORTAL. Fox news says so! :)

If that's what does it, I'm throwing in the towel on Buddhism and taking up golf!

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2010
    As if just switching religions will magically fix everything and make you NOT a philanderer.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2010
    What about all the would-be philanderers who have neither the time, resources, or good looks of a Tiger?

I guess their lack of opportunity makes them better people and more moral.

Damn Tiger for enjoying life!:D
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2010
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    If that's what does it, I'm throwing in the towel on Buddhism and taking up golf!

-bf

Oy gevalt! GOLF?

"Waste of a good walk".

The hell route to experiencing uselessness. Probably a great chance for single-pointed attention and the attention to boredom.
    #
    Mind you: good on TV as somnifer.

Poor celebs. They have become our favourite targets for projection. Serve a useful purpose, like the kings of old who were killed at the equinox to carry our sins. Perhaps the Christian ministers could understand Woods' Christ-nature as we pile our own unacknowledged guilt onto him.
  • edited January 2010
    Poor celebs. They have become our favourite targets for projection. Serve a useful purpose, like the kings of old who were killed at the equinox to carry our sins. Perhaps the Christian ministers could understand Woods' Christ-nature as we pile our own unacknowledged guilt onto him.
    Oooohhhh...... So true it hurts.;)
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LOL I pity that Brit...
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited January 2010
    the thing that gets me about this is... buddhism is an obvious cure for suffering. so like... the guy gravitates towards it so he'll stop suffering which is like the best thing ever and this happens know what i mean?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Defenestration is a tried and tested form of dealing with Christian disputes.
    Simply chuck your your opponents out of the window en masse.
    In Prague they found it so effective that they did it twice!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

Not sure if they urinated on them afterwards. LOL :)
    Defenestration!! My new favourite word! I love learning new words like that. Thanks, Yeshe! I'm forever in your debt.

When I went to that link Lincoln posted I thought I was on a joke site. Seriously. I mean I've heard the jokes about Fox News but holy crap! It's real!!
    I think I just died a little inside....*sigh*
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    What's really hilarious about this whole thing is that Tiger has not, to my knowledge, ever claimed to be a Buddhist. In fact, I have heard him say he is not a practicing Buddhist. His mother, a Thai by birth, is. So much for good journalism, Britt!

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Since when has Fox News been concerned with good journalism?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Ooops, sorry, I plead temporary insanity...

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    You know what else is kinda weird? Fox News is so far Right but the U.S. doesn't have it's equivalent in Leftist pop news media. Usually one pulls as far to their side as they perceive their opponents pulling to theirs. Weird...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    And yet they still complain about the "left-wing" media monopolizing everything. Where are they?!

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    And yet they still complain about the "left-wing" media monopolizing everything. Where are they?!

Palzang

According to the Washington Times they have apparently unleashed a vicious verbal assault on Hume. . . I think I missed it.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jan/06/throwing-brit-hume-to-the-lions/?feat=home_editorials
    edited January 2010
    When I first heard what Britt said I wanted to litteraly strangle him and watch the light fade from his eyes.......

Then I just pitied him so then I replied :D

I totally agree with Shanyin! And funny joke Yeshe :lol:
    edited January 2010
    I read your link Solowriter...
    It just seems to me silly to say to be a Christian when Buddhism's whole point, is about ending suffering and hatred. Christianity's point is to worship-
    EEK! I hope we haven't offended Snowpaw...
    edited January 2010
    Leave Britney alone...wait a min. :lol:
    edited January 2010
    Anyway with the defenistration; that was hundreds of years ago BTW, it's like me falling out with a German person because of WW1 and WW11, it was then, this is know, we shouldn't fall out with Christianity because of one person :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Leave Britney alone...wait a min. :lol:
    Lmao!! Hilarious!
    edited January 2010
    Agreed :)
    edited January 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Lmao!! Hilarious!

t_c.jpg
  • edited January 2010
    I don't see what the big hubbub is. I can't really argue with Mr. Hume's main point. Christianity is very centrally concerned with forgiveness from God because of fallen human nature, and in Buddhism, there is no god to speak of who forgives.

If Ibrahim Hooper had been on Fox News (he is frequently), he might very well have invited Tiger Woods to Islam where he could find forgiveness from God. Nobody would have said anything about that. And nobody would have blinked twice if someone recommend he read Deepak Chopra to fix his life.

Christianity is a proselytizing religion, like it or not. Always has been.
    edited January 2010
    I don't see what the big hubbub is. I can't really argue with Mr. Hume's main point. Christianity is very centrally concerned with forgiveness from God because of fallen human nature, and in Buddhism, there is no god to speak of who forgives.

If Ibrahim Hooper had been on Fox News (he is frequently), he might very well have invited Tiger Woods to Islam where he could find forgiveness from God. Nobody would have said anything about that. And nobody would have blinked twice if someone recommend he read Deepak Chopra to fix his life.

Christianity is a proselytizing religion, like it or not. Always has been.

I don't think it's so much that Hume suggested that Tiger turn to Christianity to find forgiveness (though personally I'd suggest he turn to his wife and family for forgiveness, but maybe that's just me), but rather the statement, with no founding, that Tiger Woods is a Buddhist, and the implication that he would not have had these affairs if he were Christian rather than Buddhist (which he isn't).
    edited January 2010
    2192605638_50324e8376.jpg
    edited January 2010
    84589790.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=04BB77D0FBDEE97F05AC31E5569644635C4940990DC260D0
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    As if just switching religions will magically fix everything and make you NOT a philanderer.
    See, you just need a scary enough big-Daddy God to frighten you into behaving well.
    edited January 2010
    Fright doesn't do anybody any good :screwy:

cat_in_goldfish_bowl.jpg

The Fish Conquers the Cat...
    Stands for Us Conquering Suffering :p
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    When I first heard what Britt said I wanted to litteraly strangle him and watch the light fade from his eyes.......

Look closer. There are no lights on there...nobody home...

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    LOL

brit_hume_ds_400-770348.jpg
  • edited January 2010
    My comments that I just sent to Brit:
    Mr. Hume,
    I bet that you don't have even a basic understanding of what Buddhism is all about, and that is unfortunate. It is true that Buddhism doesn't offer 'forgiveness and redemption' in the same way that some people could interpret Christianity. However, if Tiger does indeed practice Buddhism (which, from his actions, he probably does very little of), Buddhism does offer him the tools to analyze what he has done wrong and how to change his behavior and outlook. I felt that the comments made cast Buddhism in a bad light, and not unlike what I would expect from a Fox news anchor, unfortunately. I hope that you will research Buddhism at least to the point of understanding what it does offer to the 10's or 100's of millions who practice it.

Namaste,
    Brian Krahmer
    edited January 2010
    Great! :thumbsup:
    How may I send a comment? Thank you (I promise I'll be polite),
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    There is only a generic email address that I found (yourcomments@foxnews.com), but hopefully they will forward the comments for his personal reading pleasure (I'm so naive!)

brian